Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Unmature posted:

It is a Dragon Ball game in Japan isn't it?

It is. The US localization edited some things here and there but it's still pretty blatant with the source material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

iastudent posted:

It is. The US localization edited some things here and there but it's still pretty blatant with the source material.

Why would they want to change it? Dragon Ball wasn't really an established brand in the US yet, but is that really reason to edit out the series references?

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

iastudent posted:

Among the most amusing edits is the changing of "panties" to "sandwiches" and flipping the panty graphics upside down because apparently that's supposed to make panties look more sandwich-like.

Edit: Unmature I notice you don't have private messaging. If you'd like to email me to work out a trade or purchase of Dragon Power, my email address is in my last post.

Armack fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 15, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'll make another post for this cool trade thing later. This is my "weekend haul." Thank you whoever posted that yard sales map link.

And linked for :weed: http://i.imgur.com/KtJf0Yt.jpg

What a good deal on that strategy guide. Really looking forward to whatever Cyborg Justice is. This guy has a sawblade for a hand and is otherwise Robocop? Owns.

Sometimes you see something on craigslist that is just too good of a deal and even though it's outside normal public transportation range and you don't have a car you find a way. A $150 JVC X'Eye is one of those times.

Katana Gomai posted:

Collect handhelds instead.
I really have to thank you for the encouragement but I'll save that for when I make the RGB comparison pictures. :retrogames:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The Saturn version of The Need for Speed doesn't seem to have the amazing cheesy FMV cutscenes from the 3DO original. :saddowns:

I don't think the PlayStation version had those either. Why did they take out those scenes, they were glorious.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Cyborg Justice is pretty poo poo unfortunately, but when you're 12 years old playing as a robot with a SAW BLADE for a hand and TANK TREADS for legs, that doesn't really matter. :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

I don't think the PlayStation version had those either. Why did they take out those scenes, they were glorious.

The ones where the cops pull you over and stuff? Yeah, the Playstation version had them. Not sure why the Saturn version doesn't. Did the PC version?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Unmature posted:

Why would they want to change it? Dragon Ball wasn't really an established brand in the US yet, but is that really reason to edit out the series references?

Dragon Ball wasn't shown in the US until about 1995.

I'm trying to think of other games who changed their license and then years later the original property became popular in the US and I can't come up with anything...

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

kirbysuperstar posted:

The ones where the cops pull you over and stuff? Yeah, the Playstation version had them. Not sure why the Saturn version doesn't.
I haven't gotten busted by the cops yet so I'm not sure if the FMV for that is in. The speeding ticket cutscene is just a picture of a cop handing you the ticket, I don't remember if it was like that in the other versions as well.

However, the scenes where a guy with a bad 90s haircut (supposedly your rival in the Head to Head mode) talks trash at you at some parking lot between stages are missing completely as far as I can tell, and I don't recall seeing those in the PS1 version either (although it has been 17 years since I played a non-emulated version of that). The Classic Game Room review shows some of those clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_cVTBY0NoE

They did change around some stuff for the PS1/Saturn port in general, the HUD is completely different and the menus are far more usable.

edit: That review only shows the head to head races and never mentions the game having other tracks or modes. Were the regular circuit races and tournament only added to the ports? I'd almost rather have the cheesy FMVs, no one likes circuit races (and their lack of cops and traffic) in NFS.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 15, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Dragon Ball wasn't shown in the US until about 1995.

I'm trying to think of other games who changed their license and then years later the original property became popular in the US and I can't come up with anything...

The closest thing I can think of is the Retro Game Challenge DS game, which came out in English before Arino was known and made changes like replacing the pictures of the ADs in the strategy guides. I can think of examples of the first half of that equation, but Dragon Ball is a really weird outlier with it becoming sorta-popular after the fact, but even then to nowhere near the same level as in Japan, where it's basically the equivalent of if the G.I. Joe animated series never stopped going since the 80's. You had Masked Ninja Hanamaru which was remade into Yo! Noid, Q-Taro the Ghost was remade into Chubby Cherub...now that I think about it, I think in almost all cases, games based off Anime franchises or films simply never came out in English, and it still happens to this day.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

You had Masked Ninja Hanamaru which was remade into Yo! Noid, Q-Taro the Ghost was remade into Chubby Cherub...now that I think about it, I think in almost all cases, games based off Anime franchises or films simply never came out in English, and it still happens to this day.

Keith Courage in Alpha Zone is another one and they didn't even change the sprites.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.

iastudent posted:

I might be interested in the stick, what's the working condition of it?

It was basically in new condition out of the box when I got it a few weeks ago. Works great, I'm just not a fan of playing genesis games with arcade sticks. I'm mainly only keeping my advantage cause I like the way it looks. :j:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

More trade stuff!

The Shining Force box doesn't have a game, but does have the instructions inside. Taz Mania is CIB. For carts, the one with all the stickers on it is Home Alone and the scraped-up label one is Rocket Knight Adventures.

StellarX posted:

It was basically in new condition out of the box when I got it a few weeks ago. Works great, I'm just not a fan of playing genesis games with arcade sticks. I'm mainly only keeping my advantage cause I like the way it looks. :j:

Anything of mine you'd like to trade for that stick then?

I already sold Body Harvest to Jim Silly-Balls and I'm trading Xenophobe to Jitzu_the_Monk.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.

iastudent posted:

Pokemon pinball and maybe another of the other gameboy games that's fun? How's the star wars game? GB is the only system I'm still interested in getting carts for.

No PM here but feel free to mail me stellarx at gmail if you'd like.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

StellarX posted:

Pokemon pinball and maybe another of the other gameboy games that's fun? How's the star wars game? GB is the only system I'm still interested in getting carts for.

Star Wars is based off the NES game, if you've ever played that, but it's fun enough once you get used to the platforming. How about that and Pokemon Pinball for the stick?

Also I sold the Shining Force box/manual to Quiet Feet.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

drat you all for posting things I would love to take off your hands but I can't because I'm saving for vacation. drat you all!

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
Sounds good, shoot me an email and we'll swap shipping infos.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

I haven't gotten busted by the cops yet so I'm not sure if the FMV for that is in. The speeding ticket cutscene is just a picture of a cop handing you the ticket, I don't remember if it was like that in the other versions as well.

However, the scenes where a guy with a bad 90s haircut (supposedly your rival in the Head to Head mode) talks trash at you at some parking lot between stages are missing completely as far as I can tell, and I don't recall seeing those in the PS1 version either (although it has been 17 years since I played a non-emulated version of that). The Classic Game Room review shows some of those clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_cVTBY0NoE

They did change around some stuff for the PS1/Saturn port in general, the HUD is completely different and the menus are far more usable.

edit: That review only shows the head to head races and never mentions the game having other tracks or modes. Were the regular circuit races and tournament only added to the ports? I'd almost rather have the cheesy FMVs, no one likes circuit races (and their lack of cops and traffic) in NFS.

Wow. Okay, yes those rival videos were definately not in the PSX version. The FMVs in that.. let's see, there were a handful of ones when you got arrested by the police, which only happened in the three-part long races (I remember one of them saying something about little green men), one for each car in the information section (that section was loving awesome) and of course the intro video.

I think the PC version was called The Need For Speed SE, so maybe all the ports are actually based on that and SE was where the circuit races and better menus came in from. I'm going to look into this more, because NFS was my first PSX game (bought for AU$49.95 from "Electronics Boutique" when they first opened up in Australia) and it's one I love quite a lot.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HKR posted:

drat you all for posting things I would love to take off your hands but I can't because I'm saving for vacation. drat you all!

They're free son; just post your spare/unwanted collection for trade!

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think the PC version was called The Need For Speed SE, so maybe all the ports are actually based on that and SE was where the circuit races and better menus came in from. I'm going to look into this more, because NFS was my first PSX game (bought for AU$49.95 from "Electronics Boutique" when they first opened up in Australia) and it's one I love quite a lot.

I had SE for my PC and don't recall any FMV action.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
If anyone wants a Famicom Athletic Meet, with or without box, I'll trade anything for it, since it's a double. I'm not fussed on boxed games. I do famicom games mostly but I do have a PAL Mega Drive, and I only have 4 games for that.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I don't have much of anything that's duplicates (maybe a couple of the most dirt-common 2600 games) since I haven't done much antiquing for games since I got back into retro games. Unwanteds, maybe a couple, but probably more than anything else, the unwanted stuff I've got is for the DS. Hrm. Let me dig through my stuff.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

univbee posted:

You had Masked Ninja Hanamaru which was remade into Yo! Noid, Q-Taro the Ghost was remade into Chubby Cherub...now that I think about it, I think in almost all cases, games based off Anime franchises or films simply never came out in English, and it still happens to this day.

Ninja Kid for the NES was originally a GeGeGe No Kitaro game. The Puss 'N Boots NES game is also kinda strange. They didn't hide the anime license at all (the movie's art was even used for the U.S. cover), but the American version of the game came out four years after the Japanese one and has noticeably different level design.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Game trading is hard for me, since I don't have many duplicates yet, and even the usual bottom-of-the-bargain-bin drek games I've accumulated, I still kind of want to keep! Maybe I'll have to dig through what I have and see, though, assuming I can find something to part with that people would actually want, which immediately rules out Turok: Evolution.

That weird shiny chrome like effect really makes this look like it'd be art for a game much older than this, somehow. Regardless, it looks pretty cool in a vintage way, too bad I just knew a game like that had to be terrible in actual play.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

More trades for the trade god!

Updates: Trading Pokemon Pinball and Star Wars to StellarX for his/her Genesis stick.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Ahh, Orphen: Scion of Sorcery. I haven't played that game since launch day/night of the PS2.

I should revisit it some day.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

iastudent posted:

More trade stuff!

The Shining Force box doesn't have a game, but does have the instructions inside. Taz Mania is CIB. For carts, the one with all the stickers on it is Home Alone and the scraped-up label one is Rocket Knight Adventures.

I already sold Body Harvest to Jim Silly-Balls and I'm trading Xenophobe to Jitzu_the_Monk.

Interested in Rocket Knight. Is there anything in my earlier post you want?

Unmature posted:

Me want.

Wait, is it cart only?

Do you still want DQIX? I'm still interested in Puzzle Fighter / FF Legend.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
So I finally got a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser after hearing about it's magical cleaning effects for years and was not disappointed. That thing is nuts.

univbee posted:

The closest thing I can think of is the Retro Game Challenge DS game, which came out in English before Arino was known and made changes like replacing the pictures of the ADs in the strategy guides. I can think of examples of the first half of that equation, but Dragon Ball is a really weird outlier with it becoming sorta-popular after the fact, but even then to nowhere near the same level as in Japan, where it's basically the equivalent of if the G.I. Joe animated series never stopped going since the 80's. You had Masked Ninja Hanamaru which was remade into Yo! Noid, Q-Taro the Ghost was remade into Chubby Cherub...now that I think about it, I think in almost all cases, games based off Anime franchises or films simply never came out in English, and it still happens to this day.

Magical Hat no Buttobi Tabo! Daibōken became DecapAttack.

DeathBySpoon posted:

Do you still want DQIX? I'm still interested in Puzzle Fighter / FF Legend.

Yeah, I could do FF for DQIX. Got anything else not on the list? I do wanna get rid of Puzzle Fighter also, but nothing else on there is jumping out at me.

My email is MattJaySega@gmail.com.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Unmature posted:

So I finally got a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser after hearing about it's magical cleaning effects for years and was not disappointed. That thing is nuts.

Be careful with them, though. Reports are mixed, but some people say that being too aggressive with it can damage the texture on plastic.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

Be careful with them, though. Reports are mixed, but some people say that being too aggressive with it can damage the texture on plastic.

Noted, thanks.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

DeathBySpoon posted:

Interested in Rocket Knight. Is there anything in my earlier post you want?

Nothing really leaping out at me right now, sorry. :(

In other news, we interrupt the trade parade but briefly to announce its rakuten day!

Just a small shipment since I'm rather set on the time being for imports, but getting Alcahest CIB from Surugaya when it tends to go for $50+ from eBay importers was worth it. It's a cool game, there's a fan translation you can emulate if you're eager to try.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Can anyone recommend any shelves for storing games and consoles?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

bpc908 posted:

Games: Ikea BENNO shelves, while very skinny, are pretty much the exact right depth for CD/DVD/VHS-sized cases and have shelves with adjustable height, allowing more shelves that are more like Blu-ray case height (or taller than DVD if required). You'll probably have to get a bunch of them but they're ridiculously efficient.

Console shelving I have no specific recommendation, and it's going to vary a lot based on how many consoles you have, which ones (storing a PC Engine is a lot easier than storing an Atari 5200 or original Xbox. You also have different challenges, like a Turbo Graphx 16 doesn't need much "overhead" area because it's front loading, while a Genesis with a 32x and Sonic & Knuckles & Sonic 3 hooked up to a Game Genie needs a lot of overhead space), and how you want them to be displayed/used (do you want the consoles to be wired in and ready to go at all times? In a lit display area?)

Another annoying gotcha is the hardware accessories, which vary tremendously in size. Do you have rigid DDR mats? 10 Sega Saturn controllers with 2 multitaps? a Super Scope? A giant tournament-level 2-player arcade stick? All of that stuff needs a place to go near the cases, and maybe you want some of the fancier stuff on display (or you want to hide your shame from visitors).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Code Jockey posted:

I think this can happen, but I've scrubbed some very grimy carts and never had it dull their texture.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bpc908 posted:

Famicom carts, loose Genesis and 32x carts fit perfectly in audio cassette tape storage (wall-mounted ones are great!)

SFC games in the box fit in most wire-frame VHS storage like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WIRE-150-CD...=item53f794d550

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.

Code Jockey posted:

I'll admit that they've taken some texture off some of my SNES carts, but when the carts already have horrible permanent marker on them, I don't mind them getting smoothed out a little to look super clean. Do not ever touch your labels with the things though!

Unmature
May 9, 2008

StellarX posted:

I'll admit that they've taken some texture off some of my SNES carts, but when the carts already have horrible permanent marker on them, I don't mind them getting smoothed out a little to look super clean. Do not ever touch your labels with the things though!

I think it was Chris Kohler who said to use lighter fluid to get stickers off a label. Anyone wanna lend creedence to that?

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

StellarX posted:

There's a ton of other solutions that I'd try first for permanent marker before I go to the magic eraser.

First, dry erase marker. Draw with the dry erase marker over the permanent marker, then erase. Do this several times until you get most of it off.
Second, rubbing alcohol. This should clean up anything that's remaining.

There's some other solvents out there that'll get rid of permanent marker easily that's safe for plastics, but I can't think of the name at the moment.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Goo Gone works wonders on permanent marker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Any good solution to get permanent market off of a label? My copy of Metal Gear: Ghost Babel has "Julian" written on it :(

• Locked thread