Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Pufflekins posted:

"Upon the unit's return from deployment on Kelly hill Fort Benning ,this what they came to find when they returned from block leave."

Which one of you jokers did this

Not a single dick spray painted anywhere? No one from GiP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It looks like there might be a dick to the left of the one that says friend of the family. It's either a poorly drawn cock or a poorly drawn graffiti tag.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Does that top right one say 'Bfag'? What the gently caress does that even mean?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Admiral Bosch posted:

Obviously it means that they b fags.

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us

Admiral Bosch posted:

First thing that came to mind was BFIST.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Most of it seems pretty bone-standard scribbling but you have to admit the typeface they used for human being is quite intriguing

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
One of our new privates in our shop wrote what could be loosely called a "paper".

Edit: Was a paper assigned to him for failing to produce a practice brief to work on his speaking skills. If only I had a video of those. All unclass, nothing official and all open source, sparknotes even.

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 16, 2013

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Pine Cone Jones posted:

One of our new privates in our shop wrote what could be loosely called a "paper".

Edit: Was a paper assigned to him for failing to produce a practice brief to work on his speaking skills. If only I had a video of those. All unclass, nothing official and all open source, sparknotes even.

Real talk, that dude rules because he told you to gently caress off with that paper :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyIIkrJp6yw
:nms: for dead muj I guess v:shobon:v

Kung Fu Fist Fuck fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 16, 2013

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
All USAF intel officers should be required to give "assments" in the future. Much more accurate description of what they produce given their average quality of work.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Real talk, that dude rules because he told you to gently caress off with that paper :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyIIkrJp6yw
:nms: for dead muj I guess v:shobon:v

If it was just that one time, then I would agree with you. Everything he's ever done for us has been amazingly awful, I thought it was an act at first, but after four months its seeming that he just isn't that bright.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
About on par with the average combat arms intelligence quotient.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Abe Lincoln reincarnated and went to Rhodesia.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Abe Lincoln reincarnated and went to Rhodesia.

I was gonna say Angola by way of South Africa, but Rhodesia makes more sense

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Booblord Zagats posted:

By way of Lancaster, PA

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

gfanikf posted:

By way of Lancaster, PA

Explains why he thinks dirt is interesting

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Booblord Zagats posted:

I'm pretty sure its from Rhodesia. You could probably track down what unit if you wanted to run through a lot of white supremacist/Rhodesia forums.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Shorts, FAL, and equipment that would be available during that conflict. That's why I said Rhodesia.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

I always wonder how good those guys were. Everytime I run across someone mentioning Rhodesia they act like the military were all Rambos. I'm sure most of that is just fantasizing about a white african country, so it's hard to know.

Haha holy gently caress, on the wikipedia page for rhodesian security forces it has a pic of a rhodesian reenactor. Cmon man. Jesus.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Veins McGee posted:

I'm pretty sure its from Rhodesia. You could probably track down what unit if you wanted to run through a lot of white supremacist/Rhodesia forums.

I just Reverse gis'd it and it's defiantly Rhodesia. Also, spot on with the white supremacist sites thing

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 16, 2013

vains
May 26, 2004

Booblord Zagats posted:

I just Reverse gis'd it and it's defiantly Rhodesia. Also, spot on with the white supremacist sites thing

I spent a 3 semesters in college studying Rhodesia between UDI and majority rule. I had to wade through a ton of them when I was doing research.

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

I always wonder how good those guys were. Everytime I run across someone mentioning Rhodesia they act like the military were all Rambos. I'm sure most of that is just fantasizing about a white african country, so it's hard to know.

Haha holy gently caress, on the wikipedia page for rhodesian security forces it has a pic of a rhodesian reenactor. Cmon man. Jesus.

They were pretty good at killing ZANU/ZAPU but pretty bad at all the other aspects of fighting a grass roots/Maoist style insurgency.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

I guess that makes sense. I can't think of anyone that is good at defeating guerrillas in the last 50 years or so. Maybe whatever they did in Sri Lanka to destroy the Tamils, and maybe the Philippines.

Are there any good books on the subject of Rhodesia?

vains
May 26, 2004

I guess that makes sense. I can't think of anyone that is good at defeating guerrillas in the last 50 years or so. Maybe whatever they did in Sri Lanka to destroy the Tamils, and maybe the Philippines.

Are there any good books on the subject of Rhodesia?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Bush-Rhod...ywords=rhodesia

http://www.amazon.com/Fireforce-Man...ywords=rhodesia

http://www.amazon.com/Out-Of-Action-ebook/dp/B0086749RY/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366083420&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Mukiwa-White-Africa-Peter-Godwin/dp/0802141927/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366083558&sr=1-2&keywords=godwin

http://www.amazon.com/Rhodesians-Never-Die-State-Democracy/dp/0908311826/ref=la_B000AQ1OY0_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1366083633&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Skin-Death-White-Rhodesia/dp/0810106582/ref=sr_1_39?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366083499&sr=1-39&keywords=rhodesia

The first 4 are memoirs and the last 2 are monographs. I used a few other books and a ton of papers but I don't have any of my bibliographies handy. The monographs aren't explicitly focused on the fighting.
edit: There are probably some books out there that cover the actual fighting part of the conflict better but I wasn't writing specifically on the fighting so I didn't delve into them.

http://www.rhodesia.nl/Rhodesia%20Tactical%20Victory.pdf

vains fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 16, 2013

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:eyepop:

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
That SgtMaj is about to lose his godamned mind. Those eyes.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
Shorts and a shorty RPD. Ballin

Best unit mascot

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Rhodesian MRAP.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 16, 2013

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Maybe whatever they did in Sri Lanka to destroy the Tamils

Be brutal as gently caress and not give a poo poo about collateral damage

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Random bits from the Life Magazine Archive Google added a few years back. Once the scale modeling community found out about this we dug through it for reference, and were rewarded with a shitload of valuable, previously unpublished stuff.

I have no idea what this was about. Morocco during the Cold War.

155mm Howitzer and "Butch", Meridian, Miss, 1940.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/IkVC5kN.jpg
Somewhere in the Pacific, the crew of the B-17 "Frank Buck" awaits rescue. There are certainly worse places to be stranded.

Vietnam, October 1963

From an excercise in Florida in 1949; I was reminded of the fictional country chat earlier in the thread.

same exercise

captured PPSh? in Korea, 1950.

Urban combat in Seoul, Sept 1950.

no info provided other than it's during WW2.

Cold War Ideas.jpg

The T28 Superheavy Tank (really an SPG) during testing. WW2 sometime.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 16, 2013

vains
May 26, 2004

iyaayas01 posted:

Be brutal as gently caress and not give a poo poo about collateral damage

Probably doesn't work as well when you're not on an island.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
The craziest part is that the rebels somehow built an air force for themselves for a bit in the late 90s. No one knew where or how they got the planes and weapons for awhile

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Veins McGee posted:

Probably doesn't work as well when you're not on an island.

Encirclement and extermination. It's been done.

vains
May 26, 2004

Godholio posted:

Encirclement and extermination. It's been done.

Where(since 1945)?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

To my knowledge not in recent history.

Fallujah got me thinking of old-school siege tactics, which reminded me of the crusades when a handful of cities were wiped out to a person.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

To my knowledge not in recent history.

Fallujah got me thinking of old-school siege tactics, which reminded me of the crusades when a handful of cities were wiped out to a person.

Actually the Khmer Rouge did this against a few cities/larger villages in the 70s that had put up resistance. Then the Vietnamese did it to the Khmer a few years later when they had holed up in a few villages.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Interesting Frontline report on Syria.
This is the first one I've seen where the Western Media had access to the pro-regime Army and it's pretty drat interesting.
I feel bad for the Syrian PL because deep down he's got to know he's hosed.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/syria-behind-the-lines/

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Veins McGee posted:

Where(since 1945)?

The Tamil Tigers on Vannee beach.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Booblord Zagats posted:

Actually the Khmer Rouge did this against a few cities/larger villages in the 70s that had put up resistance. Then the Vietnamese did it to the Khmer a few years later when they had holed up in a few villages.

poo poo, I actually did know a little about this one. Whoops.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Ikarus posted:

That SgtMaj is about to lose his godamned mind. Those eyes.

"LT, you better hope that pistol NDs before my hands reach your neck."

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Veins McGee posted:

The uniform he's wearing is the Rhodesian pattern. Definitely Rhodesian Army. I have a buddy who does a lot of different reenacting who put together the whole kit. I don't know too terribly much about the guys, but according to him they were probably one of the best Counter-Insurgency forces ever formed. Not that I know it's true, but it seems plausible.

I hafta admit, I can't think of a more comfy looking combat uniform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Can't tell if he's sweating or pissed himself.

• Locked thread