Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Amused to Death posted:

That wasn't it, it was like a 3 minute or so thing, I don't even think it was on youtube, some kind of split screen thing where both the music and jones video played at the same time, but that one is still :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feRD9qCJtM8&hd=1

Edit: the youtube doubler one had the Alex Jones part taken down a while ago and doesn't work anymore unfortunately.

Edit Edit: does anyone happen to have that "why muslims abandoned the republican party" article handy? Thought I bookmarked it but I didn't and now I cant find it in google either.

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Edit Edit: does anyone happen to have that "why muslims abandoned the republican party" article handy? Thought I bookmarked it but I didn't and now I cant find it in google either.

http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/2012/11/the-gop-and-me.html?src=longreads

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Yes! Thank you!

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feRD9qCJtM8&hd=1

Edit: the youtube doubler one had the Alex Jones part taken down a while ago and doesn't work anymore unfortunately.

Yes! I love you.

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

They are talking about Benghazi right now on O'Reilly - the "pressure" Obama must be feeling about this Boston thing because he hasn't caught the Benghazi guys yet.

EDIT: And now Hannity's talking about how this relates to gun control. Hannity: "I'm not trying to politicize this, but..." Cooooool

J. P. Beagley fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 16, 2013

orangesampson
Nov 22, 2012

by Ion Helmet
I am surprised this wasn't mentioned.

After Calling Newtown Parents Human Shields, Rush Limbaugh Has Got To Go

http://www.politicususa.com/calling-newtown-parents-human-shields-rush-limbaugh.html

How is this guy still on the air?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Michael Savage is calling the suspect in the Boston bombing a "dark foreign national" because he can tell someone's citizenship status by seeing grainy surveillance footage of them, I guess.

He also said back in the days before political correctness a bunch of good Americans would have seen a suspicious looking dark-skinned person and beat the poo poo out of them and stopped the bombings and saved everyone.

Goddamn political correctness making it not socially acceptable to beat the poo poo out of people because we have a bad feeling based on their skin color.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODZE5peUfWQ

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
You guys are great Americans, I was wondering...what's the take on Alex Jones? Is he working it for financial gain or is he full on crazy. He seems like he could be full on but I have no context as I've never listened to him so I'd appreciate the opinion of some AJ connoisseurs.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

You guys are great Americans, I was wondering...what's the take on Alex Jones? Is he working it for financial gain or is he full on crazy. He seems like he could be full on but I have no context as I've never listened to him so I'd appreciate the opinion of some AJ connoisseurs.

He's a loving lunatic, there's no way he doesn't have legit mental illness to be so passionate and dedicated to this poo poo. Sometimes even Rush can't give a poo poo about his talking points, but AJ is always screaming and frothing over the Jew-Communist-Aliens.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

It's hard to tell if he is legit nuts or doing it for an act. He is most certainly part of the RT noise campaign to irritate the Federal government and rile up gun nuts (with the side effect of making rational dissent that much harder)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He's a loving lunatic, there's no way he doesn't have legit mental illness to be so passionate and dedicated to this poo poo. Sometimes even Rush can't give a poo poo about his talking points, but AJ is always screaming and frothing over the Jew-Communist-Aliens.

Jew-Communist-Illuminati-Aliens. :eng101: I mean it takes a lot of work being all that at once, the least you can do is get it right. :colbert:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Alex Jones is a momentum machine. Once the crazy train is going, it isn't going to stop.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

A Winner is Jew posted:

Jew-Communist-Illuminati-Aliens. :eng101: I mean it takes a lot of work being all that at once, the least you can do is get it right. :colbert:

You're just like my grandma, I forget just once that we control both the media AND the radio waves themselves and I never hear the end of it.

But no for real, Jones is insane, but there is a decent chance he's LESS insane than he acts and he just milks it, but either way that intense paranoia is real.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

If the account in this book is to be believed, he is buttshit apehole insane. He and the author at one point try to infiltrate the Bohemian Grove: Jones begins running from tree to tree through the woods like a kid playing ninja; the author just calmly walks through the gate while acting like he belongs there. He bumps into Jones later on inside and is astounded when Jones begins spewing forth about the utterly banal goings-on as though they were sacrificing white babies to Ba'al.

My favorite interview with him was on the Opie and Anthony Show after Osama bin Laden was killed. Jim Norton asked him straight out "can you please name a single event in history that was exactly what it seemed and was not an intricate conspiracy" and never got an answer.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Michael Savage is calling the suspect in the Boston bombing a "dark foreign national" because he can tell someone's citizenship status by seeing grainy surveillance footage of them, I guess.

He also said back in the days before political correctness a bunch of good Americans would have seen a suspicious looking dark-skinned person and beat the poo poo out of them and stopped the bombings and saved everyone.

Goddamn political correctness making it not socially acceptable to beat the poo poo out of people because we have a bad feeling based on their skin color.

Some outlets have reported that the 'person of interest' that they've been interviewing is a Saudi national so he probably just assumed. I haven't checked for updates in a few hours but last I heard he was at the hospital, cooperating fully, and denying involvement.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Good Citizen posted:

Some outlets have reported that the 'person of interest' that they've been interviewing is a Saudi national so he probably just assumed. I haven't checked for updates in a few hours but last I heard he was at the hospital, cooperating fully, and denying involvement.

Turns out, as everyone was running away, someone tackled an Arab-looking individual and had him arrested. The Saudi apparently had nothing to do with it, he was just the wrong skin tone.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

AsInHowe posted:

Turns out, as everyone was running away, someone tackled an Arab-looking individual and had him arrested. The Saudi apparently had nothing to do with it, he was just the wrong skin tone.

Yeah, that sounds about right

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

AsInHowe posted:

Or it was literally any other explanation because we don't actually know.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Miltank posted:

Or it was literally any other explanation because we don't actually know.

Someone already reported that it was the case.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

No, he specifically acknowledged that the Saudi national in custody and the "dark foreign national" who appeared in the surveillance footage were two different people. Although he implied they were accomplices.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You're just like my grandma, I forget just once that we control both the media AND the radio waves themselves and I never hear the end of it.

But no for real, Jones is insane, but there is a decent chance he's LESS insane than he acts and he just milks it, but either way that intense paranoia is real.

Oh he totally milks it. Like, he's crazy, but he's also got enough sense to profit from the crazies that are attracted to his brand of crazy. The poo poo he himself says always amazes me, not so much because he's saying it but because there are actually people out there that embrace what he's saying.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Also, Alex Jones actually never blames "The Jews!" for most of the going ons that the NWO is accused of doing. This is very unusual to the point that many more racist conspiracy people believe that he's a false plant.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mr. mephistopheles posted:

No, he specifically acknowledged that the Saudi national in custody and the "dark foreign national" who appeared in the surveillance footage were two different people. Although he implied they were accomplices.

Did this really happen? Frankly, this type of poo poo is exactly why people want to loving bomb us. Tackling someone near a bombing because he looks arab? It's just loving embarrassing at this point.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Warchicken posted:

Did this really happen? Frankly, this type of poo poo is exactly why people want to loving bomb us. Tackling someone near a bombing because he looks arab? It's just loving embarrassing at this point.

Yep. Savage and his shithead guest were like "yeah, it sucks that nobody can do this anymore and now when you see a suspicious looking dark skinned person you just have to say 'no, it's wrong that I'm suspicious of them' because you've been trained to believe that by pussy PC liberals."

Pijonsnodt
Jul 14, 2012

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

what's the take on Alex Jones? Is he working it for financial gain or is he full on crazy. He seems like he could be full on but I have no context as I've never listened to him so I'd appreciate the opinion of some AJ connoisseurs.

My money's on both.

That Alex Jones justifies his politics with ideas that may well have their roots in mental illness does not make them any less reprehensibly self serving. Wherever he falls on the spectrum of sane to crazy, he is a part, albeit an outlying part, of an institution that basically exists to make a public virtue out of blackhearted avarice.

That's the beautiful irony of conspiracy theorists: They unwittingly promote the agenda of the closest thing we have to a bona fide global conspiracy - the conspiracy of mammon and hate.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Pijonsnodt posted:

My money's on both.

That Alex Jones justifies his politics with ideas that may well have their roots in mental illness does not make them any less reprehensibly self serving. Wherever he falls on the spectrum of sane to crazy, he is a part, albeit an outlying part, of an institution that basically exists to make a public virtue out of blackhearted avarice.

That's the beautiful irony of conspiracy theorists: They unwittingly promote the agenda of the closest thing we have to a bona fide global conspiracy - the conspiracy of mammon and hate.

Conspiracy theorists are cute because they believe that there's a higher purpose to the machinations of the powerful beyond greed, and they believe that somebody's in control instead of death striking randomly. I firmly believe that conspiracy theories are a way for people to rationalize away the fear and uncertainty that is the human condition. IF everything happens as part of a plan, and you know about it, then obviously you can have some control over it. This is mixed in with your bog-standard delusions of grandeur, thinking that only they and a handful of others, out of close to 7 billion people, were smart enough to figure out the pattern.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Most conspiracy theories stem from people's paranoia about how overwhelming and difficult to understand that the world is. So they attribute more machinating than actually happens to everything around them - almost like a child's view of the complexities of adults. (When you grow up, you find out that adults are really just children with degrees.)

The reality is that the reasons things happen the way they do is far more often quite dumb and plain.

It's weird too, because I think that the conspiracy theories give the people that fall into them a better sense of order to the world - it's harder for them to accept that XYZ happens because of really basic and clumsy reasons. There's some kind of roundabout comfort in feeling that A) There are highly organized and long-term-thinking conspiracies totally interwoven & connected together that are on superhuman-genius level of coordination and B) that one is capable of 'seeing' these previously invisible things, thereby becoming an enlightened elite of a sort. To actually find out that the reasons aren't so complicated deflates things and makes the world a lot less ordered in the eye of the beholder.

It's a bit like finding out that a nuclear power plant is simply a glorified steam engine, and not some massively abstract thing out of Star Trek. The way the world works is in fact a hell of a lot clunkier than one's imagination often leads one to believe. (Still complex, but just not complex in the convoluted way that the ignorant believe it to be.)

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 16, 2013

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Spacedad posted:

Most conspiracy theories stem from people's paranoia about how overwhelming and difficult to understand that the world is. So they attribute more machinating than actually happens to everything around them - almost like a child's view of the complexities of adults. (When you grow up, you find out that adults are really just children with degrees.)

The reality is that the reasons things happen the way they do is far more often quite dumb and plain.

It's weird too, because I think that the conspiracy theories give the people that fall into them a better sense of order to the world - it's harder for them to accept that XYZ happens because of really basic and clumsy reasons. There's some kind of roundabout comfort in feeling that A) There are highly organized and long-term-thinking conspiracies totally interwoven & connected together that are on superhuman-genius level of coordination and B) that one is capable of 'seeing' these previously invisible things, thereby becoming an enlightened elite of a sort. To actually find out that the reasons aren't so complicated deflates things and makes the world a lot less ordered in the eye of the beholder.

It's a bit like finding out that a nuclear power plant is simply a glorified steam engine, and not some massively abstract thing out of Star Trek. The way the world works is in fact a hell of a lot clunkier than one's imagination often leads one to believe. (Still complex, but just not complex in the convoluted way that the ignorant believe it to be.)

There's a lot of pattern seeking. Human brains want to see patterns. It's how we got where we are now. The proto-human on the African savannah that flinched at the sound of wind rustling a bush was more likely to survive than the proto-human that ignored the rustling and had it turn out to be a predator stalking them. There's a great Skeptoid podcast episode dealing with whether or not conspiracy theorists are crazy or not.

Conspiracy Theorists Aren't Crazy

You can read the transcript or listen to the episode, which is only 12 minutes long.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I've always gotten the impression that Bryan Dunning is sorta like Carl Sagan in the sense that he has more empathy then contempt for the misinformed, and would rather explain himself then belittle people. It's really easy to dismiss conspiracy theorists (especially if you don't really know any) but they're still everywhere and just going "gently caress it, they're stupid/insane" doesn't really do anything to combat their narrative.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I like skeptoid a lot, and Dunning rarely advocates any type of derison towards the beleivers in whatever hokum he is discussing. I think he did veer into that a few times with people who advocate very harmful things like anti vaxxers. He is not as good as Sagan, but who can be realy?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fandyien posted:

I've always gotten the impression that Bryan Dunning is sorta like Carl Sagan in the sense that he has more empathy then contempt for the misinformed, and would rather explain himself then belittle people. It's really easy to dismiss conspiracy theorists (especially if you don't really know any) but they're still everywhere and just going "gently caress it, they're stupid/insane" doesn't really do anything to combat their narrative.

Crasscrab posted:

There's a lot of pattern seeking. Human brains want to see patterns. It's how we got where we are now. The proto-human on the African savannah that flinched at the sound of wind rustling a bush was more likely to survive than the proto-human that ignored the rustling and had it turn out to be a predator stalking them. There's a great Skeptoid podcast episode dealing with whether or not conspiracy theorists are crazy or not.

Conspiracy Theorists Aren't Crazy

You can read the transcript or listen to the episode, which is only 12 minutes long.

I really like that article, thanks for sharing it. My brother was visiting this weekend and in between banging my forehead during his rants about the government "hiding something with Benghazi", etc., I found myself actually agreeing with some of his milder stuff (I don't think Bisphenol-A is getting enough attention, for example). Conspiracies do actually occur -- we just don't call them conspiracy theories when they're proven, as with Big Tobacco hiding cancer evidence, say.

Like a lot of mental errors, conspiracy thinking is something all humans are prone to, especially intelligent people. It's really, really easy for smart people to get tripped up by their own intelligence.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Dunning is good at distinguishing between the people that profit off of conspiracy theories and pseudoscience and those that buy into these conspiracies and pseudoscience in the belief that doing so will help them. He's very much a consumer advocate.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Warchicken posted:

People want to bomb us because our government bombs them, not because some shocked and scared victims of an attack engaged in some foolish stereotyping.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fandyien posted:

I know a guy who's pretty intelligent, but firmly believes that 9/11 was an inside job and that a vast global conspiracy of elites wanted the War on Terror to happen so that the US could be broken down to the point that it could be integrated into the North American Union, which is step one in creating a global super-state ruled by [insert villain of the month]. He's not conventionally insane, but there is just no way to shake his conviction that the conspiracies he believes in are real, malevolent forces at work in the world.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

I know a guy who's pretty intelligent, but firmly believes that 9/11 was an inside job and that a vast global conspiracy of elites wanted the War on Terror to happen so that the US could be broken down to the point that it could be integrated into the North American Union, which is step one in creating a global super-state ruled by [insert villain of the month]. He's not conventionally insane, but there is just no way to shake his conviction that the conspiracies he believes in are real, malevolent forces at work in the world.

Some people really want the craziness that goes on in the world to make sense, they want there to be a reason for the madness. For them, the idea that foreigners angered by the United State's foreign policies just isn't a good enough explanation for why events take place. This is a result of cultural and historical ignorance on their part, and really no fault of their own. They live in a country that is so used to being number one that something as insignificant as a terrorist group run out of Afghanistan couldn't possibly strike a blow as devastating as 9/11 was, that it must have some larger actors. It's the same reason why the Kennedy assassination is surrounded by conspiracies. They want there to be something more to events then the possibility that actions by small actors can have huge consequences.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Yeah, the comprehension that there's nobody actually making everything happen and horrible things just happen sometimes is profoundly disturbing to some people. Reminds me of the Lovecraft stories where the real horror isn't the monster, it's the realization that there's no God watching us and the universe is neither benevolent or hostile to us, just indifferent. To the right mindset, that's terrifying.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
There is also the difficult to parse line between something being systemic and something being conspiratorial. The narrative of 'conspiracy' can make people dismiss systemic observations as being conspiracy weaving. An example that comes to mind is those who think that patriarchy implies a conspiracy on the part of men to subjugate women. I think the line between conspiracy and systemic effect might have to do with that Marx line on ideology. "They do not know they are doing it, and yet, they are doing it."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah, the comprehension that there's nobody actually making everything happen and horrible things just happen sometimes is profoundly disturbing to some people. Reminds me of the Lovecraft stories where the real horror isn't the monster, it's the realization that there's no God watching us and the universe is neither benevolent or hostile to us, just indifferent. To the right mindset, that's terrifying.
And sometimes the unfathomable horror is miscegenation :v:. Ol' Howie would be a real Infowars aficionado, were he still with us.

Although it is kind of amusing to me how things like cabals of reptiloid body-snatchers manipulating the global magnetic field to usher in a New World Order is a conspiracy. But financial institutions manipulating global grain prices to bump their bottom line up while inadvertently starving tens of thousands of people? Well that's just good business sense.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

We Await Silent Trystero's Empire...

And we're still waiting!