Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

The Terminator 2 parody episode of Xena owned so hard.

And thanks to this show we all got to see Xena's boobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Mu Zeta posted:

The Terminator 2 parody episode of Xena owned so hard.

Never watched Xena - elaboration please, also, what up with her being crucified?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There was an episode where some creature/assassin was made out of water and could transform into different shapes. It loosely and comedically followed the plot of Terminator 2 and it was glorious.

Xena was also apparently a part of every significant event in history so I think she was mistaken for Jesus at some point and was crucified. She also participated in the Trojan Horse plan and also met the emperor of the Ming Dynasty.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The show Xena: Warrior Princess at some point travels through time to go from Ancient Greece to the Roman Republic, and Xena was a bandit who was crucified by Caesar. She survives and goes on to have more adventures after her broken spirit, heart and legs all heal.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Since this thread's heard the badass story of Caesar being captured by pirates, raising the price of his own ransom, escaping and later crucifying the pirates...Xena is the leader of those pirates in Xena: Warrior Princess. Caesar, played by Karl Urban

even has a scene where he demands an absurd sum for his ransom. He later breaks Xena's legs with a hammer when she is being nailed to the cross.

Xena is crucified again later on in the series but by then the show had become a trainwreck so I don't recall the circumstances.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Pron on VHS posted:

The show Xena: Warrior Princess at some point travels through time to go from Ancient Greece to the Roman Republic, and Xena was a bandit who was crucified by Caesar. She survives and goes on to have more adventures after her broken spirit, heart and legs all heal.

If that was mentioned in any other thread, it would sound stupid, however in the Spartacus thread, it sounds awesome.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Xena reboot in the vein of Spartacus, yes or ultra-yes?

hillaryous clinton
May 11, 2003

super dynamic
Taco Defender
As was said earlier, I'd love a Homeric epic done in this style. Too bad Conan is trademarked cause that would be incredible.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Buttonhead posted:

I personally would love to see a follow-up being 'The Iliad' shot in the same style as Spartacus. In fact, just re-use the same cast as characters in the Iliad. Throw in some awesome poo poo like smarmy Apollo smiting people or Ajax hurling giant boulders, and you're all set.

Plus they don't have to skirt the sexuality of Achilles and Patroclus.
Man I spent all this time hoping for an Iliad movie franchise that I just realized that they could do this. :getin:

Pron on VHS posted:

even has a scene where he demands an absurd sum for his ransom. He later breaks Xena's legs with a hammer when she is being nailed to the cross.

Xena is crucified again later on in the series but by then the show had become a trainwreck so I don't recall the circumstances.
Didn't she also kill all the Greek Gods or something? What is with TV shows and video games wanting to kill the Greek Pantheon, what did they ever do wrong :(

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

achillesforever6 posted:

Didn't she also kill all the Greek Gods or something? What is with TV shows and video games wanting to kill the Greek Pantheon, what did they ever do wrong :(

What didn't they do wrong? Every last one of them was a psychotic rapist and/or murderer.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

achillesforever6 posted:

Man I spent all this time hoping for an Iliad movie franchise that I just realized that they could do this. :getin:

She battles with Ares a bunch but never kills him. She does kill Callisto when she becomes a deity, as well as a Japanese god. No major character in either Xena or Hercules actually stays dead, they are usually re-incarnated within a few episodes.

edit: I just perused the internet and Xena actually does kill most of the Greek Gods through her daugher's special powers, thank god I stopped watching the show at that point.

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 15, 2013

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Rome was mentioned earlier in the thread, and i would recommend it to anyone who likes the Roman side of Spartacus, i think it is one of the best tv shows i have ever seen.

Also having both Caesar and Brutus be on Game of Thrones is pretty cool.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Babe Magnet posted:

Xena reboot in the vein of Spartacus, yes or ultra-yes?

That would be a bad idea, i don't think you can replicate the funny, cheesy aspects of the show, and making it super serious would defeat the purpose.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Remake I Claudius in the vein of Spartacus.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

bobkatt013 posted:

What about Caligula?

Flatscan posted:

What didn't they do wrong? Every last one of them was a psychotic rapist and/or murderer.
Not all of them, Demeter, Dionysus, Hades, Athena, Hermes, and Hestia were for the most part cool gods. Dionysus especially considering he was a demigod and loved to party, though his followers were psychotic murderers. I think there were a bunch of stories of the Greek gods not being total dicks/rapists, but that stuff isn't well remembered as Zeus going around raping women in progressively weirder ways.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

What about Caligula?

I Claudius is from the end of Augustus's run to Claudius's. You also get Tiberius and Caligula.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The first thing I was thinking when this started was "where is Rapeface," and, well, well, well...

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Now replace everyone's face with his.

Finally caught the episode last night. Wow, easily one of my favorite endings. Only show that probably made me tear up more was Six Feet Under.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

loving YES

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
When Spartacus dies he is buried by Agron, Nasir and the survivors, and the camera shows a long line of them marching away. Is it assumed the slave 'army' that Pompey ran into and destroyed was them?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Pron on VHS posted:

When Spartacus dies he is buried by Agron, Nasir and the survivors, and the camera shows a long line of them marching away. Is it assumed the slave 'army' that Pompey ran into and destroyed was them?

No they are the survivors of the huge group of women and children they sent to the mountains and Pompey attacked. Also one of the slaves in that group is Liam's fiancee.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pron on VHS posted:

That was not the impression I had, no.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Pron on VHS posted:

No, they broke up the refugees into two groups. They said that Pompey wiped out the other half.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Pron on VHS posted:

The civvies split into two groups while heading for the alps, Pompey ran into the group that didn't contain any named characters.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Gannicus invents Polo.

Lugo invents Cricket.

Thanks for all the awesome gifs teagone

savinhill fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 16, 2013

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

No Glaber?

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

savinhill posted:

Lugo invents Cricket.

Cricket is nowhere near that cool or interesting.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

savinhill posted:

Gannicus invents Polo.

Lugo invents Cricket.

Thanks for all the awesome gifs teagone

Been my pleasure :) Wish I knew how to make proper GIFs from Season 1.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Now I know who Pompey reminded me of; Malcolm McDowell's Caligula. That white fancy armour obviously never went near a real battle.

Crassus and Caesar may have been baddies, but at least they got stuck in.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009
I just started Rome and Titus Pullbro is the best broman.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Chef Bromden posted:

It only gets better too :allears:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Just realized thinking back about the series, it seems that except those left standing at the end of the finale, every character who ever appeared on the show died on screen in a brutal fashion. Has to be some kind of record for character deaths. Also seems every female who ever appeared on the series appeared nude, I can think of only one exception to this off the top of my head.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Wandle Cax posted:

Just realized thinking back about the series, it seems that except those left standing at the end of the finale, every character who ever appeared on the show died on screen in a brutal fashion. Has to be some kind of record for character deaths. Also seems every female who ever appeared on the series appeared nude, I can think of only one exception to this off the top of my head.

To be fair, so did 90% of the men.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

maninacape posted:

As was said earlier, I'd love a Homeric epic done in this style. Too bad Conan is trademarked cause that would be incredible.

I was gonna say back during the Crixus ep, with all the epic music, that DeKnight might have been put on this earth not only to give us Spartacus, but an episodic Conan series. Maybe after his space marines show if it gets picked up.

You could have Conan loving and slaying one ep, then maybe get some horror writers to come in and do some terrifying magic ep where Conan is scared but not really and fucks some wizard up then fucks hot slaves on their altars.

Tokubetsu fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 16, 2013

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

maninacape posted:

Manu Bennett as Conan would rock so loving hard.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009

teagone posted:

Manu Bennett as Conan would rock so loving hard.

I loved Manu Bennett but the grimier he got the more I noticed that he never closes his mouth. It just hangs there, slack jawed, like the beard is weighing his jaw down.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You know nothing Manu Bennett.

Chef Bromden posted:

I still have a soft spot for ol' Lucius Vorenus. He was kind of a big dummy, but at least he meant well.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I like the fact that Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo were in fact real soldiers, i remember reading Caesar's chronicles where his army is being attacked by Gauls (i think) and he mentions two soldiers by those names having a contest to see who could kill the most of the enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Oasx posted:

I like the fact that Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo were in fact real soldiers, i remember reading Caesar's chronicles where his army is being attacked by Gauls (i think) and he mentions two soldiers by those names having a contest to see who could kill the most of the enemy.

Apparently they were pretty badass because I believe those are the only soldiers in his army he mentions by name.

• Locked thread