Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

If you see an errant air filter on track that suspiciously looks like yours. What do you do?

A. Pit in to check if its yours
B. Give no fucks and keep racing
C. Hit it/punt it off track

All three, punt it off track. Give no fucks and finish the race. Finally pit in and yell, "CHECK IF MY AIR FILTER IS STILL THERE". Get a reply that it was your buddy's air filter and you just destroyed it by punting it with your car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

NitroSpazzz posted:

You're looking at rainy track days all wrong. Rainy days are great because you can work on playing with your car at the edge of traction at lower (less expensive) speeds. Go slide around for a day in the rain and have a great time while everyone else is sitting in the pit bitching about the weather.

I always love rainy days because I'm usually one of the few cars out there playing with the STI/EVO guys.

I've had more than enough rainy days to test that theory out.

and don't kid yourself you can still do a whole lot of damage if you go sliding off the track backwards even at slow speeds in the rain. Cars accelerate on wet grass :saddowns:

I also get enjoyment from both getting to the edge of grip but also winding it out on the straights and feeling my face attempt to detach itself from the negative g's when I'm braking hard into the corners. That doesn't happen when its wet out.

kill me now fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 8, 2013

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.

Phone posted:

Nope, but consider getting 2" belts so it rides on the HANS properly. I'm wholly impressed with my Schroth Profi belts.

If you like the Schroth you will LOVE Safecraft. They have the best adjusters I've ever used. Super easy to get tight and they stay tight... I'm using a profi-2 now but I'm going with Safecraft for my SpecZ car. http://www.safecraft.com/Mrestraints-harnesses.php

I found a seat I really liked and fit me like a glove this weekend at Mid-Ohio (Recaro Pro Racer XL) but then I saw the $1900 price tag. :( Ultrashield is probably how I'll end up going since they're comfortable and cheap.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've been in a bunch of cars with G-Force belts, and the Schroth has been a nice upgrade. Whenever I put in a full cage, I'll reevaluate my safety equipment (belts and seat).

Thanks for the suggestion!

Kaakao
Jul 6, 2005
Random Stuff
http://bridgetogantry.com/2/index.php/home/touristenfahrten/509-giant-penis-closes-nuerburgring-nordschleife

This would have been a little annoying.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

G-Mach posted:

Or this happens.*

*Installed by a "professional shop". :psyduck:
I just don't understand people who insist on upgrading seats before installing a cage, practically ensuring their spine becomes a supplementary b-pillar in a rollover. Yeah, I know it holds your butt in place better, but...

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Has anyone used Takata belts? I'm thinking about picking up a set but I've never actually been in a car with them. Or seen a car in person with them.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

G-Mach posted:

Or this happens.*

*Installed by a "professional shop". :psyduck:

This was a design flaw in the rollbar. It just bolted through the floor pan and didn't have any sort of connection to the chassis. Funny enough, the 2 people survived that because the rollbar punching through the floor pan pulled the driver and passenger back so that the roof didn't collapse on them.

The competitor for Mustang rollbars immediately posted up pictures as to how their bar was mounted. Quite literally the best PR they've ever had.

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Phone posted:

The competitor for Mustang rollbars immediately posted up pictures as to how their bar was mounted. Quite literally the best PR they've ever had.

Haha, that's amazing they had the balls to turn that around so quickly.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

grover posted:

I just don't understand people who insist on upgrading seats before installing a cage, practically ensuring their spine becomes a supplementary b-pillar in a rollover. Yeah, I know it holds your butt in place better, but...

As someone with no cage, a fixed seat, and 4 pt, it's a numbers game. The odds are extremely low that I'm going to have a rollover that will injure me because of a fixed back seat and harness, so I'm okay with that risk. Going out on track at all involves risk, so it just comes down to where you draw the line.
If I wanted to stay safe I would sit at home on the couch and read a book.

That said, I'm going to get a cage in the near future, but for now it doesn't keep me up at night.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

aventari posted:

As someone with no cage, a fixed seat, and 4 pt, it's a numbers game. The odds are extremely low that I'm going to have a rollover that will injure me because of a fixed back seat and harness, so I'm okay with that risk. Going out on track at all involves risk, so it just comes down to where you draw the line.
If I wanted to stay safe I would sit at home on the couch and read a book.

That said, I'm going to get a cage in the near future, but for now it doesn't keep me up at night.

That's pretty much exactly the calculation I made when I put in my harness bar and 6pt setup. I wouldn't be caught dead in a 4pt harness though... submarining is a scary proposition.

I've yet to see a rollover in my 4 short years of tracking and I hope this streak continues. That being said I am finding myself faster and faster and less and thus less and less confident in the car protecting me in a wreck so I bought a dedicated track car to cage.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Can someone explain submarining to me, and the difference between a 5pt and a 6pt?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Has anyone used Takata belts? I'm thinking about picking up a set but I've never actually been in a car with them. Or seen a car in person with them.

They're nice but they're overpriced unless you really have a thing for Takata.

You can get a set of G Force (although g force is like, super budget)/Team Tech/HPI or even Willans harnesses for 200-100 dollars less with the same certification.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you like topless white ladies, I hear Takata belts are the way to go.

Dave Inc. posted:

Can someone explain submarining to me, and the difference between a 5pt and a 6pt?

One hurts your balls.

The other really hurts your balls.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Like mentioned, they're overpriced for what you get. I had really a nice $200 Sparco 5pt latch/link harness that wasn't any worse than my $250 Racequip 6pt I just got from jamal.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

Latch and link sucks though. I'd rather spend the extra bucks and do camlock any day of the week.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Octopus Magic posted:

Latch and link sucks though. I'd rather spend the extra bucks and do camlock any day of the week.

I forgot to mention my Racequip is a camlock, making it a better deal in the end. I could go either way if one is better than the other.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

I forgot to mention my Racequip is a camlock, making it a better deal in the end. I could go either way if one is better than the other.

I don't want to screw with the Racequip dude here!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dave Inc. posted:

Your torso is held in place by the harness and the force (say from a front impact) is moving your body forward. Your center of mass is closer to your mid section/rear end area and there's nothing really holding that from forward movement except the lap belt and the seat. If you start sliding under the lap belt, away you go.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I didn't see the first part of that question, it isn't really submarining and sliding under the belt. In a crash, you want your body to be held into the seat without movement. If there is any forward motion due to the lack of a 5/6th belt or an improperly tightened sub-belt, it's really easy for your lower body to move and then you get a bunch of compression through your spine. The result is usually crushed spinal discs.

A member of the local club was driving his E36 (I think a Spec E36), and he lost his brakes going about 130mph. He hit the barrier and the force of the crash caused the car to come off the ground. His sub-belt allowed his body slide just a bit, and when the car came down it crushed his spine. He had to be cut out of the car and had back surgery immediately after he was taken to the hospital.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Octopus Magic posted:

They're nice but they're overpriced unless you really have a thing for Takata.

I guess I'm asking because I might be able to get some that are not so overpriced. I've just never seen anybody ever use them outside of genuine racecars on TV and was wondering if that was price or something else.
And they're green wOOOOOOOOOOO!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The funny thing about Takata is that you have to pay even more for FIA/SFI approval. So if you're getting them cheap and need that type of cert for what you're doing make sure they are the right ones.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
I don't know if you guys like videos but here is my friend Derek in his Exige chasing me in my 370Z at Mid-Ohio last weekend. I don't know if he would have been able to keep up if I had remembered to refuel before the session but it made for a fun afternoon. If I don't refuel after every session I have fuel starvation problems in right handers like the Keyhole and into Thunder Valley.

The OEM VLSD is also pretty much an open diff now and I hear the outside tire squeal all the time. Smoked the tire in turn 9 about 6 minutes into the video.

We were running mid 1:46s... about a second off my best time last year when I ran on used A6s instead of nearly used up R6s.

https://vimeo.com/63684096

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

sig11 posted:

I don't know if you guys like videos but here is my friend Derek in his Exige chasing me in my 370Z at Mid-Ohio last weekend. I don't know if he would have been able to keep up if I had remembered to refuel before the session but it made for a fun afternoon. If I don't refuel after every session I have fuel starvation problems in right handers like the Keyhole and into Thunder Valley.

The OEM VLSD is also pretty much an open diff now and I hear the outside tire squeal all the time. Smoked the tire in turn 9 about 6 minutes into the video.

We were running mid 1:46s... about a second off my best time last year when I ran on used A6s instead of nearly used up R6s.

https://vimeo.com/63684096

So, wait, in a run group of 6 cars, there were 2-3 goons?

That's..kinda scary.

Red E30 waving hi.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

ThatCguy posted:

So, wait, in a run group of 6 cars, there were 2-3 goons?

That's..kinda scary.

Red E30 waving hi.

haha! Were you the fella who got harassed by the Lexington cops for the wrong tags or something?

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

sig11 posted:

haha! Were you the fella who got harassed by the Lexington cops for the wrong tags or something?

I'll take a bow, thank you.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Did your muffler stay on this time? :-D

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

NitroSpazzz posted:

You're looking at rainy track days all wrong. Rainy days are great because you can work on playing with your car at the edge of traction at lower (less expensive) speeds. Go slide around for a day in the rain and have a great time while everyone else is sitting in the pit bitching about the weather.

I always love rainy days because I'm usually one of the few cars out there playing with the STI/EVO guys.

Just wanted to reiterate why rain days are not as fun as dry days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdMsyupVZcc
highlights at 2:30, 8:55, 14:25, 15:05, 15:20, 20:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipzf0065Z3w
The driest session of the day (it was still very slick) 6:30,7:45

There were 3 red flag worthy crashes during the day and the organizer ended up calling it a day early at 3pm because of the weather and subsequent wrecks.

Also learned that corvettes dump a whole lot of water on the driver with the window open in the rain. My left arm and leg were drenched every time I went out.

kill me now fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 15, 2013

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I like how you do a little chicken-wing shrug everytime you have to correct sudden oversteer.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

You guys realize that the line is different in the rain. And you should adjust your driving accordingly for wet conditions.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

c355n4 posted:

You guys realize that the line is different in the rain. And you should adjust your driving accordingly for wet conditions.

We do?.. It was about 50f out so the tires never got warm and it was very very wet all day.

And as far as the wet line vs dry line there were points where I was driving a different line then normal. The long left hander is usually one where you start half way out and slowly close down to the apex but there was more grip by hugging the inside.

Not all turns have two lines to drive.

I'm not really sure what your trying to infer though because I felt like for the most part I kept the car under control given the conditions and none of the saves got that sideways.

As for the crashes one crash was an STI in the intermediate group that im assuming put too much faith in his AWD car, another was an instructor in a new gen mustang and the third I have no clue about because I called it a day after the 3rd of 5 sessions (before they wound up shutting the day down).

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

kill me now posted:

Just wanted to reiterate why rain days are not as fun as dry days

I disagree. Rainy days provide variety, challenge, and are much easier on my brakes and tires. Rain also makes it harder for people with high hp cars on 325 section R-comps to brute force the track.

Of course if every day was a rainy day that would suck too :)

From your video you appear to have coped quite well with the conditions though.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Admirable Gusto posted:

I disagree. Rainy days provide variety, challenge, and are much easier on my brakes and tires. Rain also makes it harder for people with high hp cars on 325 section R-comps to brute force the track.

Of course if every day was a rainy day that would suck too :)

From your video you appear to have coped quite well with the conditions though.

Well let me just put it this way, I only went out for 2 out of the scheduled 5 sessions (skipped the 2nd session of the day because it was raining even harder than in the first video) and they cancelled the rest of the day shortly after my third session.

Even if driving was just as fun or more fun it would still blow that instead of 2.5 hours of scheduled time on track I spent a grand total of 35 minutes of actual running.

Besides my car is one of those high horsepower cars with 325 width tires and I don't really want to toss it into the wall. Driving it at 9 or 8/10 is still enough to provide a thrill in the dry without feeling like you're going to crash but in the wet 8/10 is slow and boring and 9/10's feels like the car wants to kill you.

Face it paying $300 (and another $400 on top of that if you want to talk about trackday insurance for my car) for a rain day sucks.
Stop trying to make lemonade out of lemons.

But please continue to tell me that this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Hu0zP-1_k
is less fun than this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdMsyupVZcc

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I feel you dude, that totally sucks no two ways about it. How far away is the track?

I would be pretty pissed as I have to drive 8 hours round trip for track days.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

aventari posted:

I feel you dude, that totally sucks no two ways about it. How far away is the track?

I would be pretty pissed as I have to drive 8 hours round trip for track days.

It was only about 3 hours away but that means its a day trip for me. Still 6 hours of travel for under an hour of driving is tough.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
We had sleet and snow at GingerMan last weekend. I stepped out of my trailer Sunday morning to a serious snow shower but by 5:00 it was mid 60s and sunny. I was able to keep the R6s on and we really had a surprising amount of grip despite the track being very cold and a little damp at times.

Of course I corded the damned right rear tire... I was having a terrible time with it spinning on corner exit so I was applying throttle gradually and late but I still managed to destroy the drat tire's inside edge. Never had a problem quite like that in the past...

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Weird question: Anybody have ideas for where I could get some SFI rated nomex socks locally (in San Diego)? I need them for a Chumpcar race this weekend and I don't want to pay $25 to next day air some $17 socks.
like these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bob-20204-lg/overview/

I'm going to call Off-Road Warehouse tomorrow and see if I can pick them up local, but maybe there's another type of shop I'm not thinking of? It's kind of an oddball item to keep in stock I know..

parid
Mar 18, 2004
These guys ship really quick, not sure if they are door knocking close to you though. http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NS&Category_Code=UAA

Sears point has a shop at the track, might be a bit of a drive.

I hear firefighters also roll with nomex socks. Its a long shot but might be worth a couple of calls.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

parid posted:

These guys ship really quick, not sure if they are door knocking close to you though. http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NS&Category_Code=UAA

Sears point has a shop at the track, might be a bit of a drive.

I hear firefighters also roll with nomex socks. Its a long shot but might be worth a couple of calls.

Not sure firefighters socks would have SFI tags though, and tech almost certainly wouldn't pass them if they didn't (at least, they wouldn't in the central region).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Thanks for suggestions, I called ORW and they didn't have the socks so I just got them overnighted. The Buttonwillow store might have them too but I'd rather not risk it.

I just paid $50 for a pair of socks..