Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

Famitsu confirmed that New Etrian Odyssey will feature a Classic Mode where you can just roll generic party members and play it as a remake of the first game instead of having to deal with all the "Hi I am an amnesiac little girl from the distant future/past/parallel universe/whatever please take care of me" nonsense.

It will also have the option to switch between the classic FM music and the newly redone soundtrack, as well as three different difficulty settings. Because when you're playing EO, you definitely wanna play on Expert right? (I'll be playing on Picnic Mode because I am a big baby)

This is the best news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also there is a new system called the 'Grimoire' system where you can use them to learn new skills previously unavailable in your skill tree and even skills that are otherwise exclusive to enemies. These Grimoires can also be crafted.

As for the 'Classic' mode, they appear to be reusing EO1 sprites. Guess that means no Gunner class in the Classic game.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
I've been playing Etrian Odyssey 4 on and off, and I've now gotten up to the 4th world's dungeon. All my characters are level 60, and I haven't decided what I want to make my Landschknet and Runemaster's subclasses to be. I figure I'll wait until I unlock Imperial before doing so.

I really like the regular battle themes, but the FOE theme has to be the best (I set it as my alarm clock sound). :) I like gathering materials on the globe but I always get nervous one of the dragons will pop out and whip me into oblivion, especially if I'm at the east side (I was once and the volt dragon appeared and smacked me almost immediately).

I've played all the Etrian Odyssey games since the first one and I think it was recommended to me after I played the Dark Spire, but I've yet to beat any of the post game bosses. :( The first and third ones, I managed to at least get down to half health before being killed, but the second one always creamed me by turn two or five. I'm hoping this one will be different.

As for the new Etrian Odyssey, I didn't feel too excited to hear about it, but hearing of a classic mode and going to the site and hearing the remixed battle theme has made me feel like I'm going to plunk the money down for it when it comes out. :v:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Themata posted:

I've been playing Etrian Odyssey 4 on and off, and I've now gotten up to the 4th world's dungeon. All my characters are level 60, and I haven't decided what I want to make my Landschknet and Runemaster's subclasses to be. I figure I'll wait until I unlock Imperial before doing so.

Yeah, Imp 'em both. :getin:

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Pureauthor posted:

Also there is a new system called the 'Grimoire' system where you can use them to learn new skills previously unavailable in your skill tree and even skills that are otherwise exclusive to enemies. These Grimoires can also be crafted.
I can't wait to start spamming Sleeper/Ruinious Pollen on everything.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Txn posted:

I can't wait to start spamming Sleeper/Ruinious Pollen on everything.

Uh, what about the sleep circle?

I think every game has had a sleep everyone spell somewhere in it. In EO 2 it was completely broken, with regular enemies having no/almost no sleep resistance, and Hexers being faster than pretty much any enemy. Even in the 6th stratum regular battles are almost trivial because of it. Except on floor 28 where those drat pumpkin FOEs appear if you don't end the battle in like 3 turns or less.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hooray, Fallen One down, with the party I've had through the whole game, with the conditional.

Log Book done! First time I've completely done that since EO1.

Glad to hear that the remake has a classic mode as well. If it gets across the sea, I'll give the new thing a fair try, but it's nice to know I can fall back on the old thing.

Just gotta crack open the last few chests, and that should be everything.

Edit: got the fuckers. Missed a couple in Golden Lair, the locked one in labyrinth 4. Sixth maze is loving devious though. It taunts you with them over the abysses too.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 18, 2013

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Currently* running around the Fourth Land in EO4, and I recently switched my Sniper's subjob from Arcanist to Bushi. While I appreciate having more reliable bind attacks from Arcanist, the TP returns from it weren't really keeping her from running low during dungeon crawls. And aside from the Eye abilities that debuff enemies, there doesn't really seem to be anything else Arcanist offers my Sniper that I'd want to spend skill points on.

Bushi, on the other hand, has done a fantastic job of boosting her already ridiculous damage output even further. I'm wondering is it viable in the long term for me to just drop her Bind skills entirely and focus purely on her damage-dealing abilities? Rest of my party is Landsknecht/Fortress, Fortress/Dancer, Nightseeker/Arcanist, and Medic/Runemaster.

* Okay, technically I'm currently playing Soul Hackers, but I'd like to plan ahead for when I get back into EO4.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

ShadeofBlue posted:

Uh, what about the sleep circle?

I think every game has had a sleep everyone spell somewhere in it.
I never used sleep circle, as I tend to focus on binds instead of status outside paralysis and blind.

I just mentioned Sleeper because you can finally use it against the Petaloids. Vengeance is sweet.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

W.T. Fits posted:

And aside from the Eye abilities that debuff enemies, there doesn't really seem to be anything else Arcanist offers my Sniper that I'd want to spend skill points on.

The ability to reset bind and status resistances was absolutely vital to my party, but then I had both a Sniper and a Nightseeker. Yeah, it costs 60 TP, but it's 100% irreplaceable if a big chunk of your damage output and defense relies on being able to bind and status the boss.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Rangpur posted:

3rd Stratum is the point where you're gonna start running into the limits of speccing for pure physical damage. If you're training up a club Gladiator, try putting a few points into Freezing Blow if you haven't already. Half the guys in that stratum are weak to ice anyway. If you have a Formaldehyde and a Coupon handy, this would also be a good time to go back and use it on Narmer. His conditional drop unlocks the strongest club in the game, and a coupon should put it just within your price range if you spend a little time farming resource points. Enjoy never needing to spend money upgrading your Gladiator's weapon again!

I'm sure this is very good advice but I'm addicted to respeccing my characters at the drop of a hat and already retired my gladiator into a sword using monstrosity and also my bucc who into pincushion my damage output tripled. I have no single target attacks, but what does it matter? If it turns out I really need one I can just respec one of them agai-:suicide:

Although after taking a closer look through the skill simulator and that one page with all the formulas, Nine Smashes is awful compared to Blade Rave. I guess it balances out that the sword skills are overall stronger, since the club skills all have more useful effects. I'll still go grab the club in case I feel like respeccing to clubs again to play with Wild Swings and spreading binds/confusion everywhere.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 18, 2013

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
The news of Classic Mode in Millennium Girl just took me from somewhat interested to extremely excited. I loved the original but was afraid I'd never be able to bring myself to replay it after reading the Let's Play for it and seeing how outdated and clunky the interface is. This is good news, indeed.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Unoriginal posted:

The news of Classic Mode in Millennium Girl just took me from somewhat interested to extremely excited.

Yeah, the news about Classic Mode completely turned around my feelings about the game (from trepidation to interest). Definitely a good move on their part.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

If there's one improvement that gets to the remake, I hope they stick the new level mechanics in. So each dragon gives you a ten level boost to the cap as opposed to retiring at max level to get one extra.

And only two levels for a rest, and sod it, put subclassing in while they're at it. I don't think that was in the first?

Oh, and let you stick in the code from the original game somewhere for something.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Thuryl posted:

I'd say which one is easier depends on your party. The Fallen One favours a party built around binds and single-target damage, while the 6th maze boss favours a party built around multi-target damage and tanking. I found the latter a lot harder because the tricks my party was built around mostly didn't work very well on it.
Huh. What's your build that does okay on Fallen One? I ran a Bushi/NS, Imp/Rune, Sniper/Arc, Rune/Imp, and Medic/Rune, and I was skilled for what I think is pretty single-target. Every time I fought it was pretty much a crapshoot of how long Black Mist stuck the binds.

I was more reliant on an "MP Tank" defensive style, though--that is, my Medic could outheal everything that didn't outright one-shot me as long as his 700+ MP pool held out--so that might've been my problem.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Finally got to the point where my Nightseeker can do like 1500 damage a hit to things. Now I'm wondering how viable/crazy a party of 5 would be later in the game...

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

McDragon posted:

If there's one improvement that gets to the remake, I hope they stick the new level mechanics in. So each dragon gives you a ten level boost to the cap as opposed to retiring at max level to get one extra.

And only two levels for a rest, and sod it, put subclassing in while they're at it. I don't think that was in the first?

Oh, and let you stick in the code from the original game somewhere for something.

Subclassing started with EO3. I don't really mind whether or not they put it in the remake though. On one hand subclassing is cool and all, but on the other hand I imagine that it would make an already kind of poorly balanced game even worse in that regard. Although I guess they will probably re-balance it pretty severely anyway. In any case, I'm super excited, both because I really enjoyed EO1, but also because I'm looking forward to another 30 floor, single dungeon EO :v:. It just feels more right to me I guess.

In case people were wondering, resting cost 10 levels in the original and I think you had to be level 30 or above to do it. To level past 70, you had to retire a level 70 character, who could then be leveled to 71. Retiring at 71 raised the cap to 72 and so on. I never made a character above level 70, although I did get a couple to 71 in EO2 (same level cap mechanic), because grinding in EO2 is even easier than in 4.

EDIT:

Volt Catfish posted:

Finally got to the point where my Nightseeker can do like 1500 damage a hit to things. Now I'm wondering how viable/crazy a party of 5 would be later in the game...

Didn't Roguelike stream playing through EO4 with a party of 5 nightseekers? I actually looked for the videos but I guess Twitch doesn't save all of them or something? If there's any way to still see these, I'd love to. I didn't watch them as they were happening because I didn't want to spoil the game for myself.

ShadeofBlue fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 18, 2013

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

The White Dragon posted:

Huh. What's your build that does okay on Fallen One? I ran a Bushi/NS, Imp/Rune, Sniper/Arc, Rune/Imp, and Medic/Rune, and I was skilled for what I think is pretty single-target. Every time I fought it was pretty much a crapshoot of how long Black Mist stuck the binds.

I was more reliant on an "MP Tank" defensive style, though--that is, my Medic could outheal everything that didn't outright one-shot me as long as his 700+ MP pool held out--so that might've been my problem.

I used a party of Imperial/Runemaster, Landsknecht/Runemaster, Runemaster/Bushi, Sniper/Arcanist, Arcanist/Medic. Sniper and Arcanist were both specced for binds, Landsknecht was link specced. Basically my strategy was to use the Sniper and Arcanist to keep the Fallen One as fully bound as possible while the Landsknecht, Imperial and Runemaster went to town with volt damage (having the Sniper help proc links with Squall Shot when binds weren't needed). I personally prefer Spectral Cage over Black Mist, since getting binds up in an emergency is often better than keeping them up an extra couple of rounds, but either one is very helpful.

I'd guess the most important differences between your party and mine were that yours had a Medic primary, which helps a lot against the Warped Saviour, while mine had two characters able to deliver binds, which helps a lot against the Fallen One.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Volt Catfish posted:

ShadeofBlue posted:

Didn't Roguelike stream playing through EO4 with a party of 5 nightseekers? I actually looked for the videos but I guess Twitch doesn't save all of them or something? If there's any way to still see these, I'd love to. I didn't watch them as they were happening because I didn't want to spoil the game for myself.

Yeah, Roguelike's first party was a group of five nightseekers and they just shat damage everywhere but fell short of being able to beat the sixth stratum boss.

Cybernemic
Oct 9, 2012

TEEHEEHEE
Alright, y'all. I'm nearly done mapping Stratum 6, and I'm trying to figure out my team. It's currently Fortress/Dancer, Imperial/Runemaster, Nightseeker/???, Arcanist/Medic, Runemaster/Imperial. My biggest problem is figuring out what to give my Nightseeker. While Bushi and Arcanist are quite useful, I still get stuck with a bunch of leftover points that I can't really spend, while her sub to Dancer provides a very reliable Multi hit + Chance to Stun combo, as well as Attack Tango and the like. What do you all think?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Robotfisherman posted:

Alright, y'all. I'm nearly done mapping Stratum 6, and I'm trying to figure out my team. It's currently Fortress/Dancer, Imperial/Runemaster, Nightseeker/???, Arcanist/Medic, Runemaster/Imperial. My biggest problem is figuring out what to give my Nightseeker.

Nightseeker/Imperial. Always :getin:

Seriously, give him the Charge Lv1 gloves, use your Arcanist main to apply status ailments, your Runemaster to open just one key vulnerability, and then watch him do probably, what, 10k damage. Twice in the same turn.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah I bent the post game over with NS/Arc, NS/Imp, Land/Medic, RM/Bushi, Arc/medic. NS/Imp with charge gloves is silly. I sometimes had a Fort instead of the NS/Arc but I got tired of the Arcanist failing sometimes so I just decided to double roll debuffs and forget about binds.

Robotfisherman posted:

Alright, y'all. I'm nearly done mapping Stratum 6, and I'm trying to figure out my team. It's currently Fortress/Dancer, Imperial/Runemaster, Nightseeker/???, Arcanist/Medic, Runemaster/Imperial. My biggest problem is figuring out what to give my Nightseeker. While Bushi and Arcanist are quite useful, I still get stuck with a bunch of leftover points that I can't really spend, while her sub to Dancer provides a very reliable Multi hit + Chance to Stun combo, as well as Attack Tango and the like. What do you all think?
NS/Imp, NS/Bushi, or NS/Arc. NS/Imp if you want to play like an Imperial with a flavor of NS stuff when you want it. NS/Bushi if you don't want to change anything and simply hit harder. NS/Arc if you want more reliable debuffs.

Take your pick, they're all good.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 19, 2013

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
So i started the original EO a couple days ago (yes I have this weird thing about playing all the way through a series if I can). I wasn't sure how much I'd like it but WOW. I haven't been able to put down my 3DS.

I'm really looking forward to going through the series in the coming months. Never expected to be this engaged in this game.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Camaro83 posted:

So i started the original EO a couple days ago (yes I have this weird thing about playing all the way through a series if I can). I wasn't sure how much I'd like it but WOW. I haven't been able to put down my 3DS.

I'm really looking forward to going through the series in the coming months. Never expected to be this engaged in this game.
Welcome :getin:

And know ye that they only get better.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

Seriously, give him the Charge Lv1 gloves, use your Arcanist main to apply status ailments, your Runemaster to open just one key vulnerability, and then watch him do probably, what, 10k damage. Twice in the same turn.
Wait, you don't need a sub-weapon equipped to trigger Follow Trace? :stare:

gently caress me, that changes a lot of things.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I think you might--I've never not--but I dunno why you'd have a Nightseeker who didn't have two weapons. You can do Gloves and dual-wield.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

I think you might--I've never not--but I dunno why you'd have a Nightseeker who didn't have two weapons. You can do Gloves and dual-wield.

Follow Trace works with just one weapon, and if you sub Imperial you need a drive blade which means you can't use a second weapon.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

The White Dragon posted:

Well, you can't dual-wield if you're intending to go Nightseeker/Imperial and use drive blade skills. But yeah, luckily Follow Trace works fine even if you're not dual-wielding.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You do not need a subweapon to proc Follow Trace. You only need the three points in Blade Flurry to unlock it, and its activation chance is based solely on points in Follow Trace.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ShadeofBlue posted:

Yeah, twitch got rid of those videos, but for some reason I've got them saved on my computer. Give me a day and I'll throw them up on youtube to document this incredible achievement. Sadly, it looks like all evidence of getting halfway through the 5th stratum and then giving up from boredom with a solo fortress has been completely erased. Oh well.

Also my nightseekers didn't use follow trace because I didn't know how it worked, so they're doing way less damage then they could be.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
Hey, I've never had a 3DS or whatnot before. If I buy a digital copy of a game and drop my 3DS in molten lava, will I be able to download a new copy of any game I've previously purchased on another DS? Or will I just feel dumb for hanging around volcanoes and dropping my 3DS in molten lava?

E: Sorry for being off-topic, I don't see a general thread

theshim
May 1, 2012

Fisticuffs posted:

Hey, I've never had a 3DS or whatnot before. If I buy a digital copy of a game and drop my 3DS in molten lava, will I be able to download a new copy of any game I've previously purchased on another DS? Or will I just feel dumb for hanging around volcanoes and dropping my 3DS in molten lava?

E: Sorry for being off-topic, I don't see a general thread
General thread is over here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529734

Also you'll feel dumb and you will additionally be out of a game - if your 3DS bricks the games go with it. It's dumb. :(

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
Series newbie question...

So I'm playing through EO1 and I just cleared B2F. I know you should always have a warp wire to get out of the dungeon if you need to get to town. Is there any sort of spell/item that lets you go back to the floor you were on or do you have to travel floor by floor every time you reenter the dungeon?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Camaro83 posted:

Series newbie question...

So I'm playing through EO1 and I just cleared B2F. I know you should always have a warp wire to get out of the dungeon if you need to get to town. Is there any sort of spell/item that lets you go back to the floor you were on or do you have to travel floor by floor every time you reenter the dungeon?
1 is completely brutal like that. They aren't even kind enough to have nice shortcuts!

mid83
Oct 15, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

1 is completely brutal like that. They aren't even kind enough to have nice shortcuts!

Wow...no wonder people put so many hours into the game.

Does that change in the newer games at some point?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Camaro83 posted:

Not really, but the newer games have more convenient shortcuts, so getting back to the floor you were on isn't as big of a hassle.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Camaro83 posted:

Extremely convenient shortcuts. You have to go through the floors again but after you've been to the end of a floor the normal way you can normally just take a series of 4 shortcuts and poof you're at the end with no hassle

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Camaro83 posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of shortcuts that when you open are mini-checkpoints.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

There are still shortcuts on most floors of EO1, though. Be sure to check walls around where areas of your map have only a 1 tile gap to connect 2 sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

I feel like an idiot here, but what am I doing wrong - I scanned a bunch of guild cards off the net and registered them to get the treasure maps, but it won't let me delete them from my list of guild cards. I've tried deleting them off the main menu as well as in the cargo wharf, both with and without my wifi on, and it does remove them from the list, but even after saving, the next time I start the game up, the guild card is back on the list again. I don't have any guest characters from those guilds on my guild list, and google isn't helping me any. What gives?

• Locked thread