Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Anyone have any idea about software or vst to use midi pads to control a step sequencer? My Akai LPD8 has 4 banks of pads and can be on/off (with light up pads to indicate), it would be cool to be able to sequence some stuff from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

You mean trigger a hardware sequencer or play slices in a sampler or do the 1-16 follow the beats light up thingy like an 808?

First two for sure, easy, just tell us your software/hardware of choice. The last one is something that I've never seen before but probably exists. I'd imagine it's unwieldy as heck too. You could probably do it in Max. If it exists that's where you'd find it.

Actually, go talk to the guys in the Max thread. They might be able to help you write it if you can't find it.

Because ML is deader than a pile of dead things.
vvvvvvv

muckswirler fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 10, 2013

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

muckswirler posted:

Actually, go talk to the guys in the Max thread. They might be able to help you write it if you can't find it.
There's a Max/MSP thread? How did I miss that?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Wizchine posted:

I bought DIVA at a discount as a paid beta. I don't think my IQ dropped any points because I did so. In fact I didn't even use it for months anyway because I was waiting for the 64-bit version. So I got a synth I wanted from a company whose quality I trusted - at a discount.

We're in the same early adopter boat. DIVA is easily my favorite synth, and I enjoy using it far more than the NI stuff. With U-he I've been very pleased at both the accessibility of the designers (through KVR's forum) and the steady improvements to the product since launch. They've announced that they're going to be adding new filters, an arpeggiator, and some new waveforms among other things this summer.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

field balm posted:

Anyone have any idea about software or vst to use midi pads to control a step sequencer? My Akai LPD8 has 4 banks of pads and can be on/off (with light up pads to indicate), it would be cool to be able to sequence some stuff from it.

Do you have Numerology? I made a stack in it for my LPD8 that has velocity of strikes on 4 pads controlling gate lengths, sequential pad strikes on a single pad shifting velocities onto a 8 steps, the 8 knobs controlling pitch, etc.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Does anyone know of a host-synced tempo delay that supports an additional delay offset set in milliseconds?

Basically, I want to accurately compensate for I/O delay in my delayed feedback paths.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

You can just put a second 100% wet fixed delay plug-in after it, right?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Not with a negative offset (and I want to avoid agitating Ableton's dodgy PDC with a negative track offset).

Maybe I should just knock up a quick hack in SonicBirth if I get time.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

I thought you meant I/O like A/D or D/A conversion, that would never cause a negative delay.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ynohtna posted:

Basically, I want to accurately compensate for I/O delay in my delayed feedback paths.
Can't say I understand what you're talking about or what you're trying to do exactly. Taking a totally wild guess that Voxengo Latency Delay could be helpful, I don't know.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Echoboy has a rushing/dragging control that's effectively a ms delay adjustment to the tempo locked feedback signal.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Can anyone recommend a free bitcrusher?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I quite like ToneBoosters' TimeMachine.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Isn't that just a demo of a paid VST?

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

dBlue Crusher sounds pretty good to me. The developer doesn't link it on their site anymore but someone's rehosted it here.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

muckswirler posted:

Echoboy has a rushing/dragging control that's effectively a ms delay adjustment to the tempo locked feedback signal.

Oooh, good call. Thanks.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

TB TimeMachine is totally free (just comes with a bundle of other TB trial stuff), but there's also Inear Display's SicknDstroy and TAL-BitCrusher amongst many others.

http://www.ineardisplay.com/freebies/
http://www.kunz.corrupt.ch/?Products:VST_TAL-Bitcrusher

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

EDIT Slow, slow slow!

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Isn't that just a demo of a paid VST?
No, it's a free plugin included in a package of demo versions of their other plugins. Don't know how that works on OSX, but in the zip of the Windows versions there's a subfolder with the free plugins. You can copy those (dll+keyfile) out of there and toss the rest.

EDIT 2: I like TimeMachine because it can be gentle; maybe for musically sensible grittiness search elsewhere.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 18, 2013

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Bitsmacker is pretty good (Mac only).

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
I made a (dumb) bitcrusher in Reaktor... perhaps I should release it as an ensemble?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

CamelCrusher, mang. http://www.camelaudio.com/camelcrusher.php

EDIT: Hrm. Or maybe it's just a straight distortion. Been a year since I used it.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 19, 2013

hj henhemjamib
Sep 16, 2007
simply follow these steps and you be Whammin
MDA Degrade is a simple bitcrusher/decimator and gets the job done: http://mda.smartelectronix.com/ The stereoizer is also pretty useful I think.

Radiapathy posted:

CamelCrusher, mang. http://www.camelaudio.com/camelcrusher.php

EDIT: Hrm. Or maybe it's just a straight distortion. Been a year since I used it.

It's a compressor + distortion. CamelCrusher rules for trashin up drum loops.

heap
Jan 27, 2004

hj henhemjamib posted:

MDA Degrade is a simple bitcrusher/decimator and gets the job done: http://mda.smartelectronix.com/
Watch out, MDA Degrade consistently crashes my DAW the moment I try to load up more than one instance of the plugin. Works fine as long as I don't load up two of them, but just to be safe I always use it, bounce the track w/ FX, then close that plugin.

Or I just use TAL Bitcrusher. Or the one that comes with Reason, but it's obviously not free.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I'll just leave this here: http://plugindiscounts.com/index.php?id_product=4407&controller=product

Waves Native Gold Bundle for $212 (yes.) Only today afaik.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
Does anyone know of any good electric guitar VST's? I have Guitar Rig already, but no guitar actual guitar anymore! I don't especially have room or the capacity for a whole guitar at the moment so I am looking for replacements. :(

If there aren't would anyone have any ideas as to instruments I could hook Guitar Rig up to and get a pretty similar sound?

Phraggah fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 3, 2013

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Phraggah posted:

Does anyone know of any good electric guitar VST's? I have Guitar Rig already, but no guitar actual guitar anymore! I don't especially have room or the capacity for a whole guitar at the moment so I am looking for replacements. :(

If there aren't would anyone have any ideas as to instruments I could hook Guitar Rig up to and get a pretty similar sound?

Guitar is a complex enough instrument (so many playing styles, so much range of articulation) that your best bet would be to find a sample library in an appropriate style (metal, blues, funk, whatevs). I can't recommend anything specific (I play the real deal), but Loopmasters has a bunch of guitar libraries and their stuff is usually of good quality.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

h_double posted:

Guitar is a complex enough instrument (so many playing styles, so much range of articulation) that your best bet would be to find a sample library in an appropriate style (metal, blues, funk, whatevs). I can't recommend anything specific (I play the real deal), but Loopmasters has a bunch of guitar libraries and their stuff is usually of good quality.

Guitar is super complex, but I guess what I was looking for is more along the lines of a Kontakt library for electric guitar. Sort of like how session strings is for strings and EWQL is for orchestral instruments.

From what I can tell these Loopmasters products are all prearranged samples that can't be used in that same sort of manner. Is this correct?

breaks
May 12, 2001

You could check out ReFX Slayer 2, I'm sure there's other similar things out there, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. The problem you'll run into though is that regardless of the quality of the source, a piano roll or a keyboard or whatever is pretty lovely for trying to emulate something you'd play on a guitar.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Phraggah posted:

Guitar is super complex, but I guess what I was looking for is more along the lines of a Kontakt library for electric guitar. Sort of like how session strings is for strings and EWQL is for orchestral instruments.
I don't know anything that does a realistic lead guitar, but for rhythm parts, MusicLab's products are pretty good. They have two electric (RealStrat, RealLPC) and one acoustic (RealGuitar) package.

It's sample-based, in that they record all of the most used guitar chords, but you actually trigger all the individual strums and articulations. It also comes with a bunch of MIDI files that have rhythm patterns you can use, and you can of course write your own.

I have owned both RealStrat and RealGuitar for a few years and never really spent the time to learn them. But there are some impressive demo videos around that show how much you can do with these things.

Kontakt 4 and 5 actually have a sort of watered-down version of this in the factory library. I can't remember the name of the instrument, and weirdly, mention of it was removed from the Kontakt 5 documentation even though the instrument's still there. But basically it's a RealGuitar-like scripted guitar with a bunch of chords where you control the strumming. I don't remember whether it does all the articulations that RealGuitar can do though.

If I remember right the Kontakt guitar was fairly easy to use. RealGuitar is well-designed, but there are so many chord possibilities that you need to do some pretty complex fingering to get the right chords. (This is a plugin where some music theory knowledge can be a big help.)

EDIT: Some videos from the official site.

This shows what it looks like to strum your own chords:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMtbFDdsPaU

This shows what it's like to use it with MIDI patterns, including a lot of the real-time variations you can do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYZmsb-lcgA

And this dude totally shreds on a piece written for two guitars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6dsTZ0hEaw

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 5, 2013

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

Radiapathy posted:

I don't know anything that does a realistic lead guitar, but for rhythm parts, MusicLab's products are pretty good. They have two electric (RealStrat, RealLPC) and one acoustic (RealGuitar) package.

It's sample-based, in that they record all of the most used guitar chords, but you actually trigger all the individual strums and articulations. It also comes with a bunch of MIDI files that have rhythm patterns you can use, and you can of course write your own.

I have owned both RealStrat and RealGuitar for a few years and never really spent the time to learn them. But there are some impressive demo videos around that show how much you can do with these things.

Kontakt 4 and 5 actually have a sort of watered-down version of this in the factory library. I can't remember the name of the instrument, and weirdly, mention of it was removed from the Kontakt 5 documentation even though the instrument's still there. But basically it's a RealGuitar-like scripted guitar with a bunch of chords where you control the strumming. I don't remember whether it does all the articulations that RealGuitar can do though.

If I remember right the Kontakt guitar was fairly easy to use. RealGuitar is well-designed, but there are so many chord possibilities that you need to do some pretty complex fingering to get the right chords. (This is a plugin where some music theory knowledge can be a big help.)

This shows what it's like to use it with MIDI patterns, including a lot of the real-time variations you can do:

Color me impressed. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Now to see if I can get it to work/figure it out before I buy!

Phraggah fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 5, 2013

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Radiapathy posted:

That sounds as good as I've heard a MIDI guitar sound but I really feel like it'd just be easier to emulate a guitar with a distorted organ rather than trying to sample it with a keyboard. Even that guy sounds kind of stiff.

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles

Crystalis is the best NES game. Bravo good sir.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
For guitar samples check out Shreddage II by Impact Soundworks.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I don't see any better thread for this so here goes: I'm having issues with loading VSTs in Reaper. Specifically, it'll see some of my VSTs but not others. This is rather annoying, as it means I can't easily record their output so they're useless for anything other than loving about. Anyone know what could be causing this? I'm using the 64 bit version, but I have both 32 and 64 bit versions of Aalto Solo which loads fine.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Forums Terrorist posted:

I don't see any better thread for this so here goes: I'm having issues with loading VSTs in Reaper. Specifically, it'll see some of my VSTs but not others. This is rather annoying, as it means I can't easily record their output so they're useless for anything other than loving about. Anyone know what could be causing this? I'm using the 64 bit version, but I have both 32 and 64 bit versions of Aalto Solo which loads fine.
Which plugins don't load fine? 32/64 compatibility issues are the most common problem. Do you happen to have a 32-bit version of Reaper to test with? (It should work fine on 64-bit Windows.)

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Yep, I just installed the 32 bit version and now they show up. Mystery solved I guess.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Forums Terrorist posted:

Yep, I just installed the 32 bit version and now they show up. Mystery solved I guess.
It might have been an issue of adding the proper path(s) where the vst are located to the Reaper configuration. On 64 bit a likely default location for plugins coud be program files(x86)\vstplugins whereas 32 bit plugins will install to program files\vstplugins.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I install all my VSTs to a folder in My Music, so that wasn't the issue.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

Phraggah posted:

From what I can tell these Loopmasters products are all prearranged samples that can't be used in that same sort of manner. Is this correct?

When it comes to acoustic guitar Ilya Effimov have two amazing libraries that sound pretty drat fantastic when you learn to use them properly. They also have a Strat and Telecaster electric guitar library but I haven't tried those.

I believe a company called Simony or something of the kind also had a huge electric guitar sample library. And there's also the Ele6tricity library which seemed pretty decent at least.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

abske_fides posted:

When it comes to acoustic guitar Ilya Effimov have two amazing libraries that sound pretty drat fantastic when you learn to use them properly. They also have a Strat and Telecaster electric guitar library but I haven't tried those.

Wow, Ilya Efimov's stuff sounds terrific! I've never come across guitar libraries that were this flexible and accurate before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Any iLok owners here? PACE/iLok rolled out a new version of their license manager last week. Almost immediately, customers around the world started reporting that their iLok licenses were revoked or reverted to "trial mode." The ilok.com front page is just a great big mea culpa. "WE ARE WORKING TO MAKE THINGS BETTER"

Last night the president of PACE started a thread on GearSlutz, apologizing for the mess- but it quickly devolved to the point where people were making death threats against him; I just noticed the thread has been deleted.

Anyway, do NOT mess with any of your iLok licenses now- just don't touch anything (and probably don't buy anything with ilok requirements?). They are working their butts off trying to fix it, but there is no current ETA for a working solution.

There is a sticky thread where you can track the progress of the problem.

UPDATE: Looks like the PACE president's thread has been re-instated, with some of the violent stuff removed. And looks like people are beginning to turn on Steven Slate for claiming to stick with iLok for future products. Also, some folks are finally starting to be able to recover their licenses...

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 19, 2013