Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

fullroundaction posted:

Authentic to what though? We actually LIKE the "crafty American wheat" style or whatever you would call it. Won't win us any BJCP points, but that's not really what we're going for.

Your wit looks awesome by the way! I'm a sucker for cloudy wheats.

More authentic to the original witbiers. If you prefer the crafty American wheat styles then that's cool, nothing wrong with that. I enjoy a Blue Moon on occasion myself. Have you tried something like Hoegaarden, Allagash White, or St. Bernardus Wit? I think if try some of those you'll see where I'm coming from. They have a creamier body, and are a bit more complex, while still being very approachable and very drinkable. The important thing, though, is to brew what you like.

Thanks! It tastes as good as it looks!

Edit: As for BCJP, I don't care one crap at how my beer scores through BCJP after how low my Wit scored.

Edit 2: This Reddit thread is pretty awesome. I didn't know you could harvest yeast like this and I was also unaware that Heady Topper's yeast was rare and contributed that much to the flavor of it.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Midorka posted:

Edit 2: This Reddit thread is pretty awesome. I didn't know you could harvest yeast like this and I was also unaware that Heady Topper's yeast was rare and contributed that much to the flavor of it.
This is awesome. Now that I've basically turned my barrel into a sour barrel due to my retarded mishaps I think I'll use this method to harvest some of Jolly Pumpkin's proprietary yeast. I know for certain that they use a house yeast with all the nasties in it, I just want to get their ratio right.

Doing it this way, will the ratio be the same? I know the Mad Fermentationist has poured the dregs of La Roja into multiple sour brews before with good results. If I harvest in this way will it provide similar results?

hellfaucet fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 17, 2013

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
That's what I do with my jolly pumpkin or other sour dregs. Try to keep it in a spot warmer then normal to super charge bug growth vs sacc growth. Also, I'm lazy so I use flat Malta Goya for a starter.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Upgrading to a 10 gallon brew kettle in anticipation of eventually switching to all grain brewing, and I need a new thermometer. Are there any good recommendations? Right now I'm thinking I'll just get a candy thermometer I can clip to the side of the pot.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

door Door door posted:

Upgrading to a 10 gallon brew kettle in anticipation of eventually switching to all grain brewing, and I need a new thermometer. Are there any good recommendations? Right now I'm thinking I'll just get a candy thermometer I can clip to the side of the pot.

http://brewhardware.com/thermometers/76-cdn-digital-thermometer

This thermo is awesome.

Don't stick w/ the candy thermo, it's slow and imprecise. Thermapens are awesome too.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

LeeMajors posted:

http://brewhardware.com/thermometers/76-cdn-digital-thermometer

This thermo is awesome.

Don't stick w/ the candy thermo, it's slow and imprecise. Thermapens are awesome too.

My kit came with one of those and I was told to get one of the big fat analog ones; it just seemed to make more sense because I could hang it and do readings instead of having to stick my hand into the pot over possibly very hot, steaming liquid.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Saint Darwin posted:

My kit came with one of those and I was told to get one of the big fat analog ones; it just seemed to make more sense because I could hang it and do readings instead of having to stick my hand into the pot over possibly very hot, steaming liquid.

For a extract brewer the candy thermometer is fine, seeing as how you need to hit a broad range of temperatures for steeping grains and then boil.

When you actually need temperatures to be precise, it is usually below boiling temps (during the mash, from 94* dough-in to 170* mash-out), and you need real-time temps. You aren't going to hurt yourself at those temps, or at a near-boil even.

You can stick with the analog for that if you want, but be prepared to have a lovely mash. It's going to be extremely frustrating trying to adjust temps quickly.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll grab a candy thermometer to keep using with extract brews and for the boiling portion of all grain brews but I'll pick up a thermapen (or a cheaper version) for mashing.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

The habanero infusion has begun. Going to strain in 3 days, bottle my 1 gallon test batch, and put from 0.5 tsp to 1 tbsp in individual bottles to find the right level of heat.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 18, 2013

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I'm planning a small test batch for one of my summer beers, a raspberry wheat at about 4%. Planning on simple recipe probably just extract (at least for the test) and clean ferment like us-05.
For decent but not OMG raspberry flavor wrack onto about 0.25lb per gallon? Does that sound decent?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
That habenero vodka is going to be HOT! I suggest adding a teaspoon to an already finished beer, putting a lid back on it for a couple days and then drinking it.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

ChiTownEddie posted:

I'm planning a small test batch for one of my summer beers, a raspberry wheat at about 4%. Planning on simple recipe probably just extract (at least for the test) and clean ferment like us-05.
For decent but not OMG raspberry flavor wrack onto about 0.25lb per gallon? Does that sound decent?

I think 1lb per gallon was what I read for a moderately strong flavor, I may be remembering wrong though.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Midorka posted:

I think 1lb per gallon was what I read for a moderately strong flavor, I may be remembering wrong though.

Oooh. Okay, I'll start with more .75lb per gallon for my first test batch. Thanks :)

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

PBCrunch posted:

That habenero vodka is going to be HOT! I suggest adding a teaspoon to an already finished beer, putting a lid back on it for a couple days and then drinking it.

A teaspoon in the 5 gallon? Didn't someone here make one that used 2 tsp per bottle?

edit: Yep

PBCrunch posted:

I took my non-spicy jalapeno vodka and put four roasted Serrano peppers and one roasted habenero pepper in it for two days. I ended up putting about 2 tsp of vodka per beer and it is pleasantly spicy. It doesn't melt your face, but the fruity pepper flavor is strong and there is some heat.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 18, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

ChiTownEddie posted:

Oooh. Okay, I'll start with more .75lb per gallon for my first test batch. Thanks :)

I would read a little more, as my numbers may be off. I just remember telling my girlfriend that I didn't want to bother putting 6 pounds of peach puree into our witbier if we didn't know how the base beer was first. Some fruits are also more potent in flavor, so you'd need less.

Question time:

I just did a water test, well a free strip test that measures hardness. It seems my water is soft, it said about 50ppm, though it doesn't specify any chemical. Can anyone tell me what this might mean?

Secondly my grain is a tad stale. When I eat it, yes I eat grain because it tastes good, it isn't as crunchy as usual. It's a bit stale. How will this effect my beer?

Midorka fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 18, 2013

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Beer might taste a bit off. It's not the end of the world, but someone who knows beer/homebrew will be able to tell its not fresh.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
What are the main off flavors resulting from not oxygenating the wort? I'm really having trouble nailing down the flaws in my process. I've locked down everything I can think of, but my main method of oxygenation is just stirring the hell out of the wort. I just ordered an O2 kit, and I'm hoping this solves these weird flavor issues.

Edit: I just read a little about off flavors. I'm mainly experiencing what I would put in the category of phenols, or medicinal flavors. I've eliminated chlorine/chloramine since I use RO/DI water and I'm still getting the flavor. I never have this issue in stouts or porters. The paper I just read mentioned PH issues during the mash, which I haven't considered until now. Luckily, I ordered some 5.2 stabilizer along with my O2 kit, so I'll see how this goes. Still looking for any other advice though.

U.S. Barryl fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 18, 2013

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Midorka posted:

...Hoegaarden, Allagash White, or St. Bernardus Wit...

...one of these things is not like the others.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Midorka posted:

Are you sure you're going to let him get away with making a raspberry wheat when he could spend a few years and make something "more authentic" like a framboise?!?!

(I'm just bustin balls, calm down :buddy:)

Speaking of fruit additions (kind of), the girls in my house have ALREADY started arguing about this year's pumpkin beer. FML

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

fullroundaction posted:

Are you sure you're going to let him get away with making a raspberry wheat when he could spend a few years and make something "more authentic" like a framboise?!?!

Speaking of fruit additions (kind of), the girls in my house have ALREADY started arguing about this year's pumpkin beer. FML

Hahaha good luck on the Pumpkin beer :)

Actually speaking of framboise...This beer I'm talking about making is the, wait for it, test batch to an easy summer beer which is a test of part of the procedure for making a framboise! I actually really want to make one, just don't think I'll start it until the fall haha.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

fullroundaction posted:

Most farms have pick your own Framboise in the Summertime, why worry about growing your own? Let's not forget, framboise is French for "raspberry"

(I'm just bustin balls, calm down (I had to do it)).

Anyways, I've already planned my pumpkin mead for this year, and I'm sure at least one pumpkin beer will go down as well.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

ChiTownEddie posted:

a test of part of the procedure for making a framboise!

This is exactly the same thing I'm doing. I just brewed a lambic a couple weeks ago and am going to start messing with fruit additions for my summer beers now so that in a year or so I don't screw it up when I split the batch into framboise/kriek.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Anyways, I've already planned my pumpkin mead for this year, and I'm sure at least one pumpkin beer will go down as well.

I'm pretty sure I'm just going to use the 12/12/12 recipe as a template (except less dark and without the orange) and add a crapload of pumpkin to the mash. I screwed up the timing of my spice additions last year and I like the way they have theirs scheduled.

http://blog.stonebrew.com/index.php/121212-vertical-epic-recipe/

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I've got about half a pound of leftover Amarillo pellets that have been in my freezer for about a two years (original silver bag in a sealed ziplock, but not vacuum sealed). Any opinions if they're still good? I'm thinking of brewing a Gumballhead-like hoppy wheat.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Smell them. They should be roughly as good as they smell. If they smell like cheese, save for a lambic or something.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Hello, I've just started finally to get into home brewing. I just have one question at the moment (may have a couple more in future). What is the pros and cons between whole hops vs hop pellets? I can't seem to find much on it and wondering what the differences were. :) I'm from the UK so I tend to find whole hops a lot more common then pellets but neither know whats 'best'.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 18, 2013

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I personally use all pellets, for the following reasons:

-- Because they are compressed into the pellet form, they are less susceptible to oxidation and staling. I vacuum-pack mine and stick them in the freezer, and they seem to keep pretty well this way.

-- They also take up less space in my freezer - eight or ten pounds of pellets fit into the shelves in the door of my freezer; eight or ten pounds of whole hops would take up significant shelf space.

-- Pellets also give you a slightly higher utilization - you get more bitterness, flavor and aroma from pellets than from whole flowers.

-- They work for my equipment and my process. Part of this is because I have actually adapted and tuned for pellets rather than whole flowers, and some people have gone the other way and set up for flowers.

Really, it's mainly down to personal preference and how you choose to set up. Some people say that they get a better flavor from whole hops, but I can't tell the difference. You can make great beer from either.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Fluo posted:

Hello, I've just started finally to get into home brewing. I just have one question at the moment (may have a couple more in future). What is the pros and cons between whole hops vs hop pellets? I can't seem to find much on it and wondering what the differences were. :) I'm from the UK so I tend to find whole hops a lot more common then pellets but neither know whats 'best'.

I prefer pellets because they aren't as messy, and you don't lose as much wort to them, but honestly, I just buy whatever is in stock, sometimes all you can find of certain varieties is whole hops.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
There really isn't a "best" per se. Pellets will pretty much dissolve and then sediment to the bottom whereas whole hops will float and soak up wort causing you to lose volume with your beer. Additionally, since pellets dissolve and thus have a vastly higher surface area then the whole whole hop cones, you can get more IBUs then from an equal volume of whole hops, but if you are dry hopping, the increased surface area means that a grassy/vegetable flavor can come through sooner.

Long story short, 99% of the time it doesn't matter, there is nothing inherently wrong with either.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Daedalus Esquire posted:

There really isn't a "best" per se. Pellets will pretty much dissolve and then sediment to the bottom whereas whole hops will float and soak up wort causing you to lose volume with your beer. Additionally, since pellets dissolve and thus have a vastly higher surface area then the whole whole hop cones, you can get more IBUs then from an equal volume of whole hops, but if you are dry hopping, the increased surface area means that a grassy/vegetable flavor can come through sooner.

Long story short, 99% of the time it doesn't matter, there is nothing inherently wrong with either.

Oh cool, I actually didn't know about the volume thing. The only reason I buy one or the other is my HBS only have hops in one or the other, depending on which type.

Though some pellets they do have in leaf form but only in giant bags.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Ah, cheers for the help guys! :) I think by the sounds of it pellets would be best for me, problem is at the moment whole hops seem to be in bigger varieties. :smith:
Think I try the some batches with the pellets but by the sounds of it if there is a type of hops that I need I'd get it in pellet form over whole hops.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Fluo posted:

Ah, cheers for the help guys! :) I think by the sounds of it pellets would be best for me, problem is at the moment whole hops seem to be in bigger varieties. :smith:
Think I try the some batches with the pellets but by the sounds of it if there is a type of hops that I need I'd get it in pellet form over whole hops.

Where do you order/buy from? (I'm also in the UK)

I have found the same as you - thing is, when boiling I don't find a single thing wrong with whole hops. Sure, during dry hopping you get more flavo(u)r quicker from pellets, and lose more with flowers, but if you can't find something in one or the other, I would not worry about it.

Just remember to keep them cold. :)

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Kaiho posted:

Where do you order/buy from? (I'm also in the UK)

I have found the same as you - thing is, when boiling I don't find a single thing wrong with whole hops. Sure, during dry hopping you get more flavo(u)r quicker from pellets, and lose more with flowers, but if you can't find something in one or the other, I would not worry about it.

Just remember to keep them cold. :)

There is a 2 brew shops in Bristol that sales them, also from here. Where do you get yours? I don't know many good brew sites. :(

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Brewuk are pretty good.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
Started my third attempt on Monday, Brewers Best Amber Ale kit. OG 1.053-1.054. Was bubbling pretty well up through the fermentation lock until yesterday, now its slowing way down, about once / minute. Going to check it out tomorrow and see what it looks like, take another SG reading before trying to plan a time to bottle it.

Is there a significant difference in flavor if I rack into a secondary this weekend, which will be 6-8 days after fermentation, and let it sit in that for the next week or so, rather than simply proceeding to bottling next week?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

No.

It's possible that the beer would be slightly clearer if you use a secondary, but I've never noticed a difference when doing single-stage vs. two-stage fermentation.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
Thanks, in that case I'll leave it where it is for another week and bottle it straight out of the bucket.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I do suggest using a bottling bucket, though. If you add priming sugar straight to your fermenter, you'll have to stir it in to get it distributed well, and you'll end up with a crapload of sediment in your bottles. Put your priming syrup in a sanitized bottling bucket, rack the beer in on top of it, and then bottle from there. But there's no need for a secondary fermenter to get good-tasting beer.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I greatly prefer pellets. The only reason they're annoying is that they're hard to separate from the wort in the boil if you do a lot of late hopping. That said, they're actually quite easy to rack from if you cold crash and dry hop the primary since they just sink to the bottom with the yeast. They also store better and have much more varieties available on the average.

pimpslap
Nov 27, 2002
new home, old colors, same Arsenal

Zhent posted:

Started my third attempt on Monday, Brewers Best Amber Ale kit. OG 1.053-1.054. Was bubbling pretty well up through the fermentation lock until yesterday, now its slowing way down, about once / minute. Going to check it out tomorrow and see what it looks like, take another SG reading before trying to plan a time to bottle it.

Is there a significant difference in flavor if I rack into a secondary this weekend, which will be 6-8 days after fermentation, and let it sit in that for the next week or so, rather than simply proceeding to bottling next week?

Why are you bottling so soon? Isn't it generally good practice to let it bulk condition (in primary or secondary) for a month or so before bottling? I'm new too (on my 4th batch), so really just curious...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

I greatly prefer pellets. The only reason they're annoying is that they're hard to separate from the wort in the boil if you do a lot of late hopping.

Get something like this and you will have very little hop matter left in there at the end of the boil.