Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

ethanol posted:

You didn't watch the video I told you to watch, I know because you keep posting and the video is 5 minutes long.

Would you mind pointing out the part of that video you want us to focus on or no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcsquared
Nov 19, 2005

vaginal culture posted:

That's not interesting to me

I'm sorry to hear that.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Nessus posted:

I think some celebration is in order myself; what dismays me (and which I haven't seen here much) is the people who are going past 'I hope they throw that gently caress in supermax/the chair' into 'he should be immediately tortured to death.'

I'm amazed at the people who are yelling about "Watch as obama lets him lawyer up!" and "I hope we don't even give this fucker a trial -- just let some wild dogs in to rip him apart". It's just some ultra-wizard level dumbness right there, you really want to live in a country that does that poo poo? That arbitrarily suspends the law, or decides that the law only applies to certain people? "Equality for some; Murder for most". It's like staging a riot and throwing cement blocks through your own window, why would you do that

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

mcsquared posted:

I thought we already had like twitter accounts, youtube accounts etc. which might have shed some light on this, I was confused is all? You think you have a monopoly on caring about this poo poo? I have family in Boston too, so gently caress off with the attitude, god drat.

Stop being a loving crybaby and make this about you. gently caress off.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Muck and Mire posted:

Would you mind pointing out the part of that video you want us to focus on or no?

The part where why doesn't matter. (for the classification of this as terrorism)

ethanol fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 20, 2013

OMG BYZANTIUM
Dec 30, 2008
So did they release the guy that got molested by robots? Cause that's got to entitle you to a round of drinks at least.

tempus
Sep 23, 2003

Business on top, party in the back
I don't believe that federal law enforcement is going into a questioning deciding not to mirandize somebody. They do it, almost automaticaaly, then let the defense explain why waiver was not freely and voluntarily given. To completely refrain from doing it is a bold (but foolish) move. However the arrest is totally kosher so long as it is supported by probable cause.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I'm not sensing a whole lot of civility in this thread. <:(>

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
This is how I imagine the arrest went down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRg7kf9ltbw

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
We are an increasingly atomized society so occasions like this when everyone can put aside their differences and celebrate a bit are pretty cool to see

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I'm amazed at the people who are yelling about "Watch as obama lets him lawyer up!" and "I hope we don't even give this fucker a trial -- just let some wild dogs in to rip him apart". It's just some ultra-wizard level dumbness right there, you really want to live in a country that does that poo poo? That arbitrarily suspends the law, or decides that the law only applies to certain people? "Equality for some; Murder for most". It's like staging a riot and throwing cement blocks through your own window, why would you do that
Honestly I imagine most of them are caught up in their passions and would not, after calm reflection, do more than smack the guy in the back of the head. I imagine there are some who do not care about law or rights as long as their tribe is on top, of course, but I think they are fewer than you think.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I really hope that those sexbots don't become a thing in this country.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

ethanol posted:

The part where why doesn't matter.

And why on earth would that be the case?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gonz posted:

I, obviously, disagree. ;-*

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Muck and Mire posted:

Because people are using it as an excuse to say/argue with each other this is not terrorism. It clearly. Is.

Rino
Apr 2, 2009

Gonz posted:

Whoa hey let's not get too hasty here.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Nessus posted:

I, obviously, disagree. ;-*

I think you meant to use :roboluv:

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
I really hope the kid doesn't turn out to be some sociopath that was brainwashed by his older brother. I'd like to empathize with him and learn why he did the poo poo he did and how he rationalized it in his mind.

Something other than "I'm crazy and bro told me to do it".

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
X-post from the D&D thread regarding Tsarnaev being read his Miranda rights and questioning:

I was reading an FBI article on the "Public Safety Clause", and police will only ask him "those questions necessary for the police "to secure their own safety or the safety of the public". More than likely, they will ask him if he and his brother left additional bombs that haven't been discovered, or if others were involved/additional attacks were planned.

A benefit for investigators would be that anything he admits during the course of this questioning is still admissible in court.

quote:

In U.S. v. Khalil, New York City police officers raided an apartment in Brooklyn after they received information that Khalil and Abu Mezer had bombs in their apartment and were planning to detonate them.36 During the raid, both men were shot and wounded as one of them grabbed the gun of a police officer and the other crawled toward a black bag believed to contain a bomb. When the officers looked inside the black bag, they saw pipe bombs and observed that a switch on one bomb was flipped.

Officers went to the hospital to question Abu Mezer about the bombs. They asked Abu Mezer "how many bombs there were, how many switches were on each bomb, which wires should be cut to disarm the bombs, and whether there were any timers."37 Abu Mezer answered each question and also was asked whether he planned to kill himself in the explosion. He responded by saying, "Poof."38

Abu Mezer sought to suppress each of his statements, but the trial court permitted them, ruling that they fell within the public safety exception.

After questioning related to topics like those mentioned, I would assume he will be Mirandized.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

OMG BYZANTIUM posted:

So did they release the guy that got molested by robots? Cause that's got to entitle you to a round of drinks at least.

The guy's father took his shotgun and forced the robots to wed his son after defiling him in such a way. They're currently on their honeymoon.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

tempus posted:

I don't believe that federal law enforcement is going into a questioning deciding not to mirandize somebody. They do it, almost automaticaaly, then let the defense explain why waiver was not freely and voluntarily given. To completely refrain from doing it is a bold (but foolish) move. However the arrest is totally kosher so long as it is supported by probable cause.

People are rarely mirandized the second they are arrested. It usually happens at the station before they are questioned. The handcuffs and miranda reading is mostly a movie thing. Because this is a dude who likes making half a dozen bombs and placing them in fun places, they used an exception to ask him about threats to the public and only those specific threats, not general questions. He also can choose not to speak and lawyer up at any time. Miranda is simply a warning, not an application of rights.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
So just before white hat was taken into custody, there was a bunch of stuff on the scanner about reporters getting way to close to where the boat was and the police trying to get them away.

Two idiot CNN reporters just basically admitted it was them. Saying how they were sneaking, trying to get close to the scene and taking video of the boat... you know, the scene where the police didn't want media cause dozens of shots were just fired and there were possibly explosives around.

e-CNN just reported he's in serious condition, as opposed to critical.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

vaginal culture posted:

We are an increasingly atomized society so occasions like this when everyone can put aside their differences and celebrate a bit are pretty cool to see

Ironically enough, society is so fragmented, and possesses so many diverse opinions and ways of life, that it's almost safer to have everyone disagree, but in a civil fashion. The only instances where everyone bands together in an emotionally and ideologically homogeneous mass are typically in environments founded by hatred, fear, or shared suffering. Not the sort of environment you want a society to be stuck in perpetually just for the sake of verbal concord.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rino posted:

Whoa hey let's not get too hasty here.

I don't want to be stopped while jogging and have machines take my clothes off and molest me.

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

Gonz posted:

They're learning :tinfoil:

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

WastedJoker posted:

I hope he lives so we can learn to appreciate his reasons for his actions and then

1. Repudiate any falsehoods
2. Learn from any legitimate criticisms.

You don't get to use the courts as a forum to legitimize your social criticisms when you blow up kids, sorry.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Wait....what if sex robot orgy guy is ALSO blue robe guy?!

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

ethanol posted:

Because people are using it as an excuse to say this is not terrorism.

There's no set definition of terrorism and based on the last 10 years of American history it's a word that means everything and nothing. This was a bad thing that happened but labeling it terrorism or not is just semantics.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

vaginal culture posted:

Everything about the outcome is great. The victims will get the best justice possible under the circumstances. The police, FBI, everyone did a fantastic job and showed what good police work is. I'm really proud of the Massachusetts people in general, they handled it as well as possible and deserve to have a great weekend after dealing with so much pain and dread. Let them celebrate finally getting a break and some positive news.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
video of what appears to be the final firefight in Watertown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=796UFHldHM4

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Ironically enough, society is so fragmented, and possesses so many diverse opinions and ways of life, that it's almost safer to have everyone disagree, but in a civil fashion. The only instances where everyone bands together in an emotionally and ideologically homogeneous mass are typically in environments founded by hatred, fear, or shared suffering. Not the sort of environment you want a society to be stuck in perpetually just for the sake of verbal concord.

This isn't really true at all.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Muck and Mire posted:

There's no set definition of terrorism and based on the last 10 years of American history it's a word that means everything and nothing. This was a bad thing that happened but labeling it terrorism or not is just semantics.

Well ok sure whatever. :wow: I'm tired of this anyways.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Psycho bomber child is captured

Atmosphere of fear is lifted

Whats not to be happy about again?

krazysigmarite
Jun 18, 2011

Grimdark.

vanbags posted:

I really hope the kid doesn't turn out to be some sociopath that was brainwashed by his older brother. I'd like to empathize with him and learn why he did the poo poo he did and how he rationalized it in his mind.

Definitely. Everything I've heard about the guy would suggest that he was totally normal and mentally stable. He was popular at university, had lots of friends, even his twitter seems like any 19 year old freshman. He did live with his brother though, and while maybe not a sociopath, he may have been slowly radicalized by him. The whole situation is just so hosed up and tragic. I can't wait for him to talk about it. Everything up to the kid saying it himself is just going to be speculation, of course.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Gonz posted:

I don't want to be stopped while jogging and have machines take my clothes off and molest me.

So you'd ruin it for the rest of us? :mad:

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

No way he's going to die looking like that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Muck and Mire posted:

Because after a certain point motives are academic compared to the fact that he killed several people.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

Psycho bomber child is captured

Atmosphere of fear is lifted

Whats not to be happy about again?

Something about this 19 year old's life being ruined, I guess.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Godholio posted:

Something about this 19 year old's life being ruined, I guess.

He ruined it himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

vanbags posted:

I guaranfuckingtee you that is going to be his defense. We may hear of his brother's ideologies, but "I was influenced by my brother" is pretty much his only viable defense at this point.

• Locked thread