Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OH NO MY DICK
Feb 24, 2013

Forums Jesus
How can you all be so happy when children starve in Africa? Shame!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Nessus posted:

Honestly I imagine most of them are caught up in their passions and would not, after calm reflection, do more than smack the guy in the back of the head. I imagine there are some who do not care about law or rights as long as their tribe is on top, of course, but I think they are fewer than you think.

I know that most people would react intelligently (or at least semi-rationally) if they have time to sit down and think about it, but so many of our reactions to events, political campaigns, and legislation are crafted to evoke an emotional response rather than rational response. I'm speaking as an Australian who is living through a political campaigns defined by 'fear/hatred of refugees'. There's no rationalism involved, and rationalism is undesirable for politicians and most of their group-think legislation. It's why we need people who express these boring sorts of warnings, even though it's not popular and immediately relevant, just because kneejerk emotionalism has carried forth so many negative actions and reactions that could have been solved with a bit of well-placed rationalism. I don't know why I felt that required such a long reply, I just meant that, even though it's kind of boring, there IS a place for this constant reminder that we need to back away from our emotions, even at the best/worst of times, because they're so frequently damaging and self-destructive

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

Psycho bomber child is captured

Atmosphere of fear is lifted

Whats not to be happy about again?

Well you see because of the violence inherent in the system he's really the victim here because...

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

OMG BYZANTIUM posted:

So did they release the guy that got molested by robots? Cause that's got to entitle you to a round of drinks at least.

I assume so. I also wonder about the guy who had to sit around naked in a Fed SUV for who knows how long.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Gonz posted:

I don't want to be stopped while jogging and have machines take my clothes off and molest me.

loving killjoy.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Godholio posted:

Something about this 19 year old's life being ruined, I guess.

There are plenty more non-murderous ones to take his place at least.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Because after a certain point motives are academic compared to the fact that he killed several people.

Well, yes, he did kill people. But also why he killed people matters.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Godholio posted:

Being ruined? He did it to himself.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hailthefish posted:

He ruined it himself.

But isn't it actually our fault, as a society, for letting him go down this path?

Edit: Way too many of you took that post seriously. :thejoke:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Godholio posted:

Excuse me while I grab a box of tissues for him.

I don't feel bad for people who bring consequences on themselves. Especially when they are shown a lot more respect than was shown to their victims.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Lt. Dans Legs posted:

I guaranfuckingtee you that is going to be his defense. We may hear of his brother's ideologies, but "I was influenced by my brother" is pretty much his only viable defense at this point.

Really though he'll have no leeway no matter what he argues. He'll never see the moon again.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Godholio posted:

But isn't it actually our fault, as a society, for letting him go down this path?

No?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Muck and Mire posted:

Those reasons also matter less than preventing him from killing anyone else.

Now since he's been taken into custody alive, we'll get to examine his motives while keeping him from killing anyone else. Which is a win-win, says I.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
Did CNN lady just accidentally say, "Innocent until presumed guilty."?

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

vaginal culture posted:

We are an increasingly atomized society so occasions like this when everyone can put aside their differences and celebrate a bit are pretty cool to see

If we can't celebrate the little man in the boat getting fingered, what can we celebrate ?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Where's normal GBS? This bizarro-forum where people agree with me is creeping me out.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Muck and Mire posted:

And I'm sure once he can actually talk we'll figure it out.

OMG BYZANTIUM
Dec 30, 2008

Godholio posted:

Edit: Way too many of you took that post seriously. :thejoke:

Are you actually the president of Chechneya? I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that the president of Chechneya blamed the American influence for corrupting the kid. The president posted it on his Instagram account (I don't even know anymore).

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

We're transitioning to fox news 'welfare did this' now.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

So in terms of manhunts go, how quickly has this gone from "horrible event occurred" to "perp capture" in comparisons to other events? I know Timothy McVeigh was on the lam for about a month and only got caught because of an unrelated traffic stop, and then of course the Unibomber was at large for a really long period of time.

Do you suppose the advent of social media has created an environment where people who pull off atrocities like this can't escape so readily?

krazysigmarite
Jun 18, 2011

Grimdark.

Godholio posted:

What the gently caress what? He lives in a totally chill part of the country, what aspect of new england society led him to become someone who'd want to bomb a loving public event?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I wonder if he'll get charged with the vehicular manslaughter of his brother. He did try to ramp off of him after all.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Well. Barring extremely extraordinary circumstances he's never going to see the outside of US custody again in his life, so now that that's taken care of it might be interesting to understand the motivations of someone like him.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

wordsauce posted:

video of what appears to be the final firefight in Watertown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=796UFHldHM4

Oh my God this is terrifying.

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

Godholio posted:

When you kill an 8 year old boy and 2 (potentially 3) others, and injure/maim 150+ more, you're a bit past the point where you qualify for empathy, in my opinion.

Edit: Sorry Godholio :shobon: reaching that point where it's hard to tell the difference with jokes like this.

Lt. Dans Legs fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 20, 2013

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

vanbags posted:

I really hope the kid doesn't turn out to be some sociopath that was brainwashed by his older brother. I'd like to empathize with him and learn why he did the poo poo he did and how he rationalized it in his mind.

Something other than "I'm crazy and bro told me to do it".

The Harris-Klebold explanation seems to make the most sense with the paucity of information we have right now.

Maybe he was the "ringleader" - we don't actually know - but it at least looks like he was an extremely weak personality who wanted to be approved by his brother badly enough that he ended up thinking "bombing kids" was a better idea than "calling the police." That's nowhere near a legal defense, of course.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lt. Dans Legs posted:

I guaranfuckingtee you that is going to be his defense. We may hear of his brother's ideologies, but "I was influenced by my brother" is pretty much his only viable defense at this point.

Does this defense even work in any sort of case? "I was influenced into doing it" "Aww you poor thing. Not guilty!"

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

vaginal culture posted:

This isn't really true at all.

That's cool but you gotta understand that the amount of consideration given to your position will correspond roughly to the amount of evidence provided for it

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

krazysigmarite posted:

What the gently caress what? He lives in a totally chill part of the country, what aspect of new england society led him to become someone who'd want to bomb a loving public event?

The sarcastic one.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

So in terms of manhunts go, how quickly has this gone from "horrible event occurred" to "perp capture" in comparisons to other events? I know Timothy McVeigh was on the lam for about a month and only got caught because of an unrelated traffic stop, and then of course the Unibomber was at large for a really long period of time

Timothy McVeigh was caught almost instantly as far as I can remember, they just didn't realize they had arrested the bomber for a few days.

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

Pretty easy to do both, unless you're afraid he has a legitimate reason for murdering those people and doing what he did that will shatter the very foundations of society, then knowing the reasons why he did it can only help us prevent such tragedies in the future and spot these kinds of people hopefully before they snap and do things like this.

Thinking any different is just short sighted revenge and isn't conductive to a modern society.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Cholmondeley posted:

If we can't celebrate the little man in the boat getting fingered, what can we celebrate ?

And by robots no less!

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

So in terms of manhunts go, how quickly has this gone from "horrible event occurred" to "perp capture" in comparisons to other events? I know Timothy McVeigh was on the lam for about a month and only got caught because of an unrelated traffic stop, and then of course the Unibomber was at large for a really long period of time.

Do you suppose the advent of social media has created an environment where people who pull off atrocities like this can't escape so readily?

More like "best timing for a 7-11 robbery. It was just luck, like that traffic stop.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
A guy on CNN said black hat was alive, but in cardiac arrest when he was taken to the hospital early this morning. In the last thread it was said he died at the scene of the shooting. Ugh, it's going to be a while before all these details get cleared up.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

OMG BYZANTIUM posted:

Are you actually the president of Chechneya? I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that the president of Chechneya blamed the American influence for corrupting the kid. The president posted it on his Instagram account (I don't even know anymore).

I think that was the dad. I think the official word out of Chechneya was "Holy poo poo gently caress those guys please don't bomb us Putin"

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

wordsauce posted:

video of what appears to be the final firefight in Watertown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=796UFHldHM4

Wow Boston PD really broke their dick off in his rear end there

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

It's not social media, but it is new technology. With everyone now capturing everything on digital film, the FBI could quickly find the bombers, spread the pictures, and get others looking for their men.

Once the photos got out, the brothers knew they were screwed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Fancy Corndog posted:

Did CNN lady just accidentally say, "Innocent until presumed guilty."?

Yes.

And, as to the other argument, I think most people who are happy about this aren't happy about the fact that this 19-year-old hosed over his life in an extreme way, nor about the fact that he's quite likely to be treated inhumanely in the correctional system. They're happy that a person who did a great deal to kill and maim many people, and may well have killed or harmed many more in the future, has been found, and taken into custody without any further loss of life. That's most definitely a thing that's worth celebrating.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Also, did reddit's gung-ho team of crack internet crowdsourced detectives actually accomplish anything here, beyond falsely naming those two other guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Priapus
Feb 17, 2007
I AM LITERALLY AND I MEAN LITERALLY A STUPID NAIVE SHELTERED IGNORANT DENSE AS FUCK WASTE OF SPACE. PLEASE IGNORE ANYTHING I SAY AS THEY ARE THE RAMBLINGS OF A DELUSIONAL FUCKWAD PS MY DICK IS VERY SMALL AND I PROBABLY HAVE NEVER USED IT im so very retarded

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

No way he's going to die looking like that.

Unless he took a nose dive off the boat and broke his neck.

• Locked thread