Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

OH poo poo THE SPECIALS ARE TOURING IN THE NORTHEAST. I have tickets for Philly and Asbury Park. YES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
Ughhhh, those shows are way out of my price range.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I missed them when they were at Terminal 5 a year or two ago, so I should probably go to this

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

WaffleZombie posted:

OH poo poo THE SPECIALS ARE TOURING IN THE NORTHEAST. I have tickets for Philly and Asbury Park. YES.
Just in case anyone was wondering how "authentic" (for lack of better words) The Specials are as a band these days, Jerry Dammers (who didn't partake in the most recent Specials reunion) and Neville Staple are not touring with the group. That being said, the band—especially Terry Hall—sounded fantastic when I saw them during their 2010 US tour.

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
Just listened through THHT. Really awesome, a nice progression from Somewhere in the Between but while still sounding like Streetlight. I really liked The Hands That Thieve, They Broke Him Down and Oh Me, Oh My. Toe to Toe was also surprisingly good, I had listened to the live Toh Kay version and wasn't too thrilled by it but I love the Streetlight version.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

This album is sex upon my ears.

Ungrateful is sooo good.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

FateoMcSkippy posted:

This album is sex upon my ears.

Ungrateful is sooo good.

3 songs in and I have to agree.

Backno fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 20, 2013

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The title track definitely has some serious shades of BTMI. Awesome so far.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

:neckbeard:

jesus christ, this album. worth the wait.

nasboat fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 20, 2013

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
It's been a long wait and I have such a stupid grin listening to it right now. I can't wait for my deluxe nonsense to arrive it's a gift from my distant past self.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Mollymauk posted:

It's been a long wait and I have such a stupid grin listening to it right now.

Same here -- and I'm having to fight the urge to just listen to "Ungrateful" on repeat. Gotta listen to the rest of the album first.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

drunk asian neighbor posted:

The title track definitely has some serious shades of BTMI. Awesome so far.

"Oh me, Oh my" Reminds me of Royal gently caress Deluxe a bunch.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
This album is so good. I feel like I'm 18 and listening to Somewhere in the Between in study hall for the first time all over again. That's how loving good it is, it's reminding me how awesome that album sounded the very first time I heard it. I've got a giant boner.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Am I missing something? Did the album ship early?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You're missing THIS AWESOME FUCKIN ALBUM.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Hobbit posted:

Am I missing something? Did the album ship early?

yeah seriously, I thought preorders shipped around the 30th?

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

seriously, this album is incredible. I love that feeling when you listen to a new album and immediately love the songs the first time you hear them, and know that the songs are only going to grow on you and get better with repeated listens.

The ones that really stand out to me so far are The Three Of Us, Ungrateful, The Littlest Things, They Broke Him Down and Oh Me, Oh My. So, half the album.

:allears:

and while writing this post, I realize the title track belongs on that list. basically, everything but "If Only For Memories"

Dodecalypse posted:

it is out there if you look in the right place. Anything further becomes a :filez: issue, I'm sure.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dodecalypse posted:

Someone on Streetlamps said theirs shipped, I emailed the RISC Store to check on mine since I lost the info.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Oh dear lord that StreetLamps website made my soul hurt. Not the forum to try to hold a discussion on use of the word friend of the family.

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 20, 2013

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
More than a few of the songs have been uploaded to youtube. Dunno how long they'll stay up for, but I'm sure more will replace them soon enough.

At any rate, right now They Broke Him Down is pretty easily my favorite - it's a great song on its own, but it almost feels like the goddamn climax of the album, and everything after is almost just the aftermath of that goddamn song. Although, I really love Toe to Toe more than I thought I would, and Your Day Will Come is seriously growing on me. I don't know if I've ever been this excited to keep listening to an album over and over and over again. I've easily listened to it 10-12 times by now, and IT JUST KEEPS GETTING BETTER.

e: Oh my god I just remembered there's an entire Toh Kay version of this coming out too YESSSSS

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Apr 20, 2013

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

HOW THE gently caress DO YOU ALL HAVE THIS ALREADY WHERE THE gently caress HAVE I BEEN

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Dickeye posted:

This album is so good. I feel like I'm 18 and listening to Somewhere in the Between in study hall for the first time all over again. That's how loving good it is, it's reminding me how awesome that album sounded the very first time I heard it. I've got a giant boner.

ungh gently caress argh

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Obama Yo Mama posted:

HOW THE gently caress DO YOU ALL HAVE THIS ALREADY WHERE THE gently caress HAVE I BEEN

This is me right now Where is it? I gave Streetlight my money already. TOMMMMMM

edit: God bless youtube

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

DOOP posted:

This is me right now Where is it? I gave Streetlight my money already. TOMMMMMM

edit: God bless youtube

If only you had PMs!

Your best bet is to find that Streetlamps thread that Dickeye was referring to earlier.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Listened to THTT and it owns all of the bones. Favorite songs are The Littlest Things, The Hands That Thieve, They Broke Him Down, and Your Day Will Come.

Tom :allears:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Only got to listen to half of it before I ran out but gat dayum

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Listening in the car was a bad idea. It's hard to drive while you're jerking off.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Dickeye posted:

Listening in the car was a bad idea. It's hard to drive while you're jerking off.

No one is gonna want to ride in the car with me for weeks once my preorder comes in.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

The last minute or so of the title track. :swoon: :fap:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

edit: Thanks goons! :cool:

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 20, 2013

Rhontos
Oct 19, 2011

I don't know why, but I expected this album to sound a lot like their previous two albums and I am so very glad that it sounds new.

God drat this is awesome and I don't know when I will be able to stop listening.

Rhontos fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 20, 2013

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.
I admit I was pretty cynical about the prospect of this album being any good. I am so glad to be so wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIJvjw53CNY

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

It's okay, I guess. There's some moments of new ideas here and there e.g. "If Only for Memories", but largely this album sounds like outtakes written for Somewhere in the Between but performed in the style of 99 Songs.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this album sounds like a quick followup recorded a year or two after Somewhere but it took six years instead.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Miscellaneous_T posted:

It's okay, I guess. There's some moments of new ideas here and there e.g. "If Only for Memories", but largely this album sounds like outtakes written for Somewhere in the Between but performed in the style of 99 Songs.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this album sounds like a quick followup recorded a year or two after Somewhere but it took six years instead.

It's so weird how two people can have totally different interpretations of music because I don't feel this way at all.

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

Absolutely worth the pain and suffering of the wait. I only can't wait now to hear how this translates into the Toh Kay version (With any sort of certainty is already an astounding acoustic rendition).

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

nerve posted:

It's so weird how two people can have totally different interpretations of music because I don't feel this way at all.

You're allowed to like the album all you want, it's not my intention to try to take that away from anyone. I wish I could like this album more than I do, my friends and I used to follow them on tour during the Everything Goes Numb era and they played some of the best shows I've ever been to. But just consider for a moment that in 2005, Bomb the Music Industry! released Album Minus Band, then after a six year period released something so radically different and much more mature in aesthetic and production that you'd have a hard time believing they were by the same artist. You can tell that behind the music there is a person who has their own taste in music and those tastes are constantly changing and shifting in interest; you could easily make a comparison with the 'Mats earlier material compared to their later stuff. Whereas with Streetlight, there's this whiff of stagnation. They just keep coming back to the well for these token anthemic, mid-tempo gang-vocal cheers with loud-quiet dynamics, or the slow-starting tempo builder that peaks as a jaunty punk tune featuring a horn line reminiscent of "Point/Counterpoint" (2:13 for "One Foot," 2:37 for "Your Day"), itself reminiscent of "Keasbey Nights". It's become so formulaic to me, and I'm starting to get bored.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
"Ungrateful" reminds me a bit of "Sick and Sad" but more grown up.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hobbit posted:

"Ungrateful" reminds me a bit of "Sick and Sad" but more grown up.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it's supposed to be, what with the chorus about rainy days and standing on your own feet.

Solidus
Nov 1, 2005

ε===(っ≧ω≦)っ♡

Cheesegod posted:

Tomas isn't really taking the whole Victory taking down his video thing very well:

i posted earlier in this thread once before but I'm one of the three people that work for Tomas, I do all the graphic design for streetlight/toh kay, and I don't want to "go on the record" because it is an insaaaaaaaaaaaaaanely complicated situation wrapped up in three separate litigations but right now is the absolute worst things have been between us and victory. I really wish I could talk about the stuff going on behind the scenes of all this drama but I'd probably get sued by victory. All I'll say is that Tony Brummel is like Uwe Boll and the westboro baptist church put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Where can I buy a digital download of the new Streetlight that isn't itunes?