Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Sony of America recently removed their "gameplay" requirement for what they will allow to be brought over, so maybe if Aksys brings F/E CCC over and it sells a good amount they'll bring f/sn proper over.

Although I wouldn't count on it.

Back when Tsukihime was big, Nasu always said that he would want to be heavily involved in any translation of his writing and that he didn't have time so it couldn't happen. I can't imagine that his attitude has changed much in the years since (even if it looks to us like his team have been sitting on their hands for the last few years).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

NRVNQSR posted:

Back when Tsukihime was big, Nasu always said that he would want to be heavily involved in any translation of his writing and that he didn't have time so it couldn't happen. I can't imagine that his attitude has changed much in the years since (even if it looks to us like his team have been sitting on their hands for the last few years).

Huh. That seems rather strange, given the outright mistakes in the official translation of Extra.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
UBW slightly edited stream of consciousness.
Shinji, why the hell are you there?! What a place to stop the intermission. What did Gil mean by Faker?

Whelp, I guessed wrong, then right, then wrong. It's obvious now that they mention the pendant again. Not going to question the causality of the whole thing. He never forgot who he was, did he. He just knew to keep his mouth shut when he realized Rin summoned him. So, now he's going to kill himself. Murder-suicide, or is it double suicide? Something has to happen for Shirou to not die, but who's going to interrupt the fight?

Lancer. Feel free to let your fists do the talking all the time :buddy:. Good god, it's about time someone shut Shinji the hell up. Wait, where's Gil? Oh poo poo, Gil's gonna ambush him. Wait, Kotomine? Why'd he reveal himself?

poo poo, he's going to make Rin the vessel for the grail. The bastard killed Rin's father?! What does he have against her family? What?! Ordering Lancer to kill HIMSELF?!

Course he'll give you Rin, Shinji. He'll just give you a heartless corpse.

gently caress YEAH. KILL THAT BASTARD LANCER!! Now for someone to decapitate Shinji. No Shinji, you aren't going to get your way with Rin. Lancer, don't just punch him, though he does need it. Spear the fucker! I know you're dying, but something a bit more fatal would be nice. It's not an Irish flag, but :patriot:. You did well.

So, depending on what happens to Archer, it'll down to Saber and Gil again.

Of course Shirou's projections are weaker. He's only started projecting real things, what, half a week ago or something?

Oh, we're getting some kind of explanation as to why he's broken? From the sounds of it, it's nothing I haven't heard. It all started with the fire, and him being saved by Kiritsugu.

How much more does Shirou have in him? This isn't a battle of swords. This is the embodiment of their ideals.

Saber's stronger this time, but she doesn't have her sheath. So, Shirou, the super hero is supposed to kill Gil.

This monologue must be the motivation for Shirou to kill Gil. Also a reminder of Fate/Zero's end. Wait, he's leaving because he doesn't want to get dirty?

Leaving off at the beginning of Shinji's intermission.

I'm tired, so my afterthoughts aren't going to be that long.

Lancer. Your fist talking, and bastard spearing will not go unforgotten.

Looking ahead at the final battle, Rin and Saber are probably going to fight Gil, something will happen, and Shirou will step in. The Grail has to come from somewhere, so maybe it'll start manifesting in Rin, which will stop Saber. Shirou's motivation will come from Gil's monologue about how humanity is a filthy curse, and from Archer implicitly telling him to go with all he's got if he's that strong willed about being a super hero.

Meanwhile, Shinji is going to be confronted by Gil, told he's useless and that Gil was just playing along, and hopefully killed. There's going to be some kind of reconciliation between Rin and Shirou, hopefully no sex though. Actually, there hasn't been any, which I'm greatful for. Nothing, though, will top how unnecessary that one scenes was in the forest in Fate. All that's left I think is to see how the final battle unfolds, and see what ending I got. Actually, can you even get the true end on a first playthrough through the route?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

unpronounceable posted:

Meanwhile, Shinji is going to be confronted by Gil, told he's useless and that Gil was just playing along, and hopefully killed. There's going to be some kind of reconciliation between Rin and Shirou, hopefully no sex though. Actually, there hasn't been any, which I'm greatful for. Nothing, though, will top how unnecessary that one scenes was in the forest in Fate. All that's left I think is to see how the final battle unfolds, and see what ending I got. Actually, can you even get the true end on a first playthrough through the route?

There is one sex scene, and it is the worst thing. Feel free to Ctrl through it. Incidentally, I believe the Realta Nua equivalent involves aquatic animals; not quite as cool as the dragon in Fate.

There's two endings for UBW, True and Good. Which you get depends on how many Saber points you have.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Silver2195 posted:

I'm on November 8 of the Shizuru route in Rewrite. Is it just me, or is this version of Kotarou a lot more intelligent/mature? Was this really written by the same person as the Chihaya route?

I think all five of the initial routes are by different authors.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Huh. That seems rather strange, given the outright mistakes in the official translation of Extra.

It has never been clear to me how much of Extra Nasu actually wrote himself. He's listed as the scenario writer, but most of the text doesn't really feel like his style (not enough :words:).

unpronounceable posted:

UBW slightly edited stream of consciousness.
What did Gil mean by Faker?

Unless I'm misremembering the context, it's pretty simple. He's a Faker because he creates fakes.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think all five of the initial routes are by different authors.

Nah, there's 3 writers. Hell if I can remember who wrote what, except that Lucia was written by the Umineko guy. I think.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

NRVNQSR posted:

It has never been clear to me how much of Extra Nasu actually wrote himself. He's listed as the scenario writer, but most of the text doesn't really feel like his style (not enough :words:).

I had the same impression, actually.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

I had the same impression, actually.

I think that his style changed a bit in these paste years. Event Mahoyo is not so wordy.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

unpronounceable posted:

Lancer. Feel free to let your fists do the talking all the time :buddy:. Good god, it's about time someone shut Shinji the hell up. Wait, where's Gil? Oh poo poo, Gil's gonna ambush him. Wait, Kotomine? Why'd he reveal himself?

poo poo, he's going to make Rin the vessel for the grail. The bastard killed Rin's father?! What does he have against her family? What?! Ordering Lancer to kill HIMSELF?!

Course he'll give you Rin, Shinji. He'll just give you a heartless corpse.

gently caress YEAH. KILL THAT BASTARD LANCER!! Now for someone to decapitate Shinji. No Shinji, you aren't going to get your way with Rin. Lancer, don't just punch him, though he does need it. Spear the fucker! I know you're dying, but something a bit more fatal would be nice. It's not an Irish flag, but :patriot:. You did well.

Lancer. Your fist talking, and bastard spearing will not go unforgotten.

And that is why Lancer's the best character, no contest. Just this one scene. He stops Shinji from having his way with Rin, tells Kotomine to gently caress off when ordered to kill her, and after being Command Spelled into suicide simply stands up, without his heart, spears the fucker from behind, without his heart, spears Shinji, still without a heart, frees Rin and sets the whole place on fire, ALONG WITH HIMSELF, so his douchebag master can't hax himself back to life. ALL WITHOUT A HEART.

So yeah, you can tell I've never jumped on that whole "Kirei's awesome" :bandwagon:

Also, that set of scenes is why I think Archer's an rear end in a top hat. Wanting to kill his previous self and free himself from all this poo poo i can understand, giving Rin to Shinji is where I draw the line.

The True Ending of UBW is actually easier to get than the Good Ending on the first playthrough.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

Aumanor posted:

The True Ending of UBW is actually easier to get than the Good Ending on the first playthrough.

And better, I think. The Good Ending is pretty silly.

I recently started playing Extra. Getting major Persona vibes. About how long is it? Is there a lot of "story" or is it mostly just grinding/fighting? I'm only about four days in so far.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Barent posted:

I recently started playing Extra. Getting major Persona vibes.

The plot reminded me of Megaman Battle Network 4. (That's not a compliment, by the way.)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Fate/Extra is kind of novel but its charm wears off pretty quickly because the combat, or rather the dungeon crawling, is very poorly implemented. You can't even save, which means it's highly probable that you will lose a decent amount of progress at some point or another. The boss fights are pretty cool though, even if they can also be very frustrating.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Fate/Extra is kind of novel but its charm wears off pretty quickly because the combat, or rather the dungeon crawling, is very poorly implemented. You can't even save, which means it's highly probable that you will lose a decent amount of progress at some point or another. The boss fights are pretty cool though, even if they can also be very frustrating.

Nah it's just a memory game combined with Rock Paper Scissors. Once you learn the patterns you can steamroll pretty much anything. Not being able to save IN dungeons can be annoying, but who the hell goes in without saving first anyway?

Like, iirc one of the early enemies has a pattern where it blocks twice, breaks, blocks 2 more times, attacks. That means if I use a pattern of 6 breaks I'm probably going to hit it 4 times, if I try 2 breaks, attack, 2 more breaks, block and get lucky I'm gonna hit it 6 times, or if I'm unlucky I'm still gonna hit it at least twice. It becomes even easier when the game gives you clues as to what the pattern is, because you can guarantee hits on those clues, plus you can use the clues to help guess what the patten is.
Combat's a slog, but it's not hard.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 21, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Except you have to fight enemies a lot to nab their patterns, which usually means running around for an hour or two. And then all it takes (especially if you're using Caster) is one lucky hit where you guessed wrong and then welp you just lost the last 2 hours.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Except you have to fight enemies a lot to nab their patterns, which usually means running around for an hour or two. And then all it takes (especially if you're using Caster) is one lucky hit where you guessed wrong and then welp you just lost the last 2 hours.

You don't need the game to nab their patterns, you just need to use your memory. By the fifth time fighting a regular enemy you should pretty much know what its plans are.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wish I could find the old Japanese list of the various patterns, but there are some enemies with like 20 unique sets in the later parts of the game. The worst are the ones that paralyze you, which can break through even if you guard it. Better hope you had the foresight to predict the future and cast a healing spell right afterwards or you're done.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Blhue posted:

Nah, there's 3 writers. Hell if I can remember who wrote what, except that Lucia was written by the Umineko guy. I think.

Romeo Tanaka - Common route, half of the Mappie segments, Kotori, Akane, most of Moon and Terra
Yūto Tonokawa - The other half of the Mappie segments, Shizuru, Chihaya and a little bit of Moon.
Ryukishi07 - Lucia

Barent posted:

I recently started playing Extra. Getting major Persona vibes. About how long is it? Is there a lot of "story" or is it mostly just grinding/fighting? I'm only about four days in so far.

About 20-25 hours and it sorta of half VN, half gameplay. Just don't pick Caster because she's really bad for your first run. For NG+ she gets better because you have access to better equipment including a way to reliably restore her MP during a fight and not make her so fragile. Not being able to save in dungeons is pretty crap but I managed not to get killed except twice which were both dumb mistakes (getting into a fight with a monster your Servant gets a bad feeling about and not playing defensively enough during the Leo/Gawain fight in week 7's dungeon. Of course I also choose Saber who's the easiest of the three.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

Nate RFB posted:

I wish I could find the old Japanese list of the various patterns, but there are some enemies with like 20 unique sets in the later parts of the game. The worst are the ones that paralyze you, which can break through even if you guard it. Better hope you had the foresight to predict the future and cast a healing spell right afterwards or you're done.

This one?

These patterns are for the sixth Arena enemies. Seems fun, right? :v:

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
I've continued reading Da Capo II. Almost done with Koko's route, only the sisters will remain after that. I'm awaiting them with dread, hopefully the incest overtones won't be as bad as in the original.

Anzu's route is still the best so far. Her and Minatsu's shared part of their routes is really fun. Minatsu's route was okay, though the gags got repetitive.
Nanaka's route had potential, but was ultimately a bit lackluster. Koko's route so far is basically a waste of space since she appears to be amazingly boring overall.

It's not brilliant, but it's not terrible, either. Very light-hearted, in comparison to most VNs I've read. It would have been perfect as a cooldown VN after something like Muv-Luv.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

little_firebird posted:

This one?

These patterns are for the sixth Arena enemies. Seems fun, right? :v:
Yep, that's it. Though if I remember right, it's actually not too bad once you get to weeks 6 or 7 because by then you should have access to most of your skills and plenty of MP restoring items. It very much becomes a war of attrition at that point where you just use skills on any unknown turns, until you reach a point where you've unlocked most of the patterns. However this isn't really feasible in weeks 4 and 5, where the difficulty rather spikes through the roof suddenly.

And again, none of this would be a problem if you could save in the dungeons. Even SMT, pioneer of bullshit dungeon crawling, know they have to scatter save and heal spots here and there to make it feasible for the players.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Apparently they added dungeon saving in CCC, so at least they're not asleep at the wheel.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

Nate RFB posted:

Yep, that's it. Though if I remember right, it's actually not too bad once you get to weeks 6 or 7 because by then you should have access to most of your skills and plenty of MP restoring items. It very much becomes a war of attrition at that point where you just use skills on any unknown turns, until you reach a point where you've unlocked most of the patterns. However this isn't really feasible in weeks 4 and 5, where the difficulty rather spikes through the roof suddenly.

And again, none of this would be a problem if you could save in the dungeons. Even SMT, pioneer of bullshit dungeon crawling, know they have to scatter save and heal spots here and there to make it feasible for the players.

You also usually have a certain Formal Wear Shockwave 2nd strike by then as well, and that makes things sort of laughable if you're either over-leveled or playing with Saber.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Suleman posted:

I've continued reading Da Capo II. Almost done with Koko's route, only the sisters will remain after that. I'm awaiting them with dread, hopefully the incest overtones won't be as bad as in the original.

Anzu's route is still the best so far. Her and Minatsu's shared part of their routes is really fun. Minatsu's route was okay, though the gags got repetitive.
Nanaka's route had potential, but was ultimately a bit lackluster. Koko's route so far is basically a waste of space since she appears to be amazingly boring overall.

It's not brilliant, but it's not terrible, either. Very light-hearted, in comparison to most VNs I've read. It would have been perfect as a cooldown VN after something like Muv-Luv.

I think I liked Anzu, Minatsu, and Yume the best. I felt Koko's route did its drama pretty well, but since it had basically nothing to do with the trees it felt a little out of place. Minatsu had a bit of that too, but I liked her better as a character so I didn't mind so much. Nanaka is straight up a rehash of her ancestor so her route is kinda meh. Otome and Yume's routes are basically the same story from different perspectives, but I found Otome a pretty uninteresting character. Plus Yume's ending is pretty damned good.

I really hope that the fandisc and Da Capo 3 get translated, but I doubt it'll happen.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Barent posted:

about how long is it? Is there a lot of "story" or is it mostly just grinding/fighting? I'm only about four days in so far.
I played through the game with all three servents. Got like 9 millions bucks on my saves at the end. Battle is so dull and grinding after the first playthrough, but all the servant conversation feel so worth it. :smithicide:

Tips:
If you want to complete all Taiga's quests then I suggest you make at least two saves, one for one day prior just in case you missed her quest item, which you will for a certain one if you take a wrong turn and the plot won't let you turn back. :smithicide:

Check servant room every time a time change occur, including morning to evening.

Use all your items because only your money/Formal Wear/enemy pattern data will transfer to next playthough. Or you could sell it for money, but look at me never bother to sell anything and still got 9 mil.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 22, 2013

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
Dra+KoI's translation patch is finished.. It's a short VN (according to VNDB) by Nitroplus. Since their works have a good track record its probably worth checking out.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Okaaay, apparently Yume's route has the heart wrenching ending in Da Capo II. The route itself was... Well, there was a ton of cliches and an unfortunate amount of fetishizing of what shouldn't be fetishized. It was written okay and it was somewhat engaging, and I've read worse, but it was a bit jarring to see all that stuff stuffed in a single route.

One more to go, then something else when I've got the time. I'd still prefer something light-hearted. How about Kira Kira or something?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Kira Kira is not light hearted.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Fangz posted:

Kira Kira is not light hearted.

Well, poo poo. Okay, let's try to open that up a bit. Some tearjerking is okay, but I'm not in the mood for completely tragic endings (as in some of Tsukihime's endings) or Muv-Luv PTSD.

Suleman fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 22, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's more that one route/ending is very much not light hearted. The rest of it is.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

It's more that one route/ending is very much not light hearted. The rest of it is.

Worse than the Far Side routes in Tsukihime or Heaven's Feel in Fate/Stay Night?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yes, to be honest I would say it's a bit worse than those.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yeah, worse. Somewhere between HF normal and Clannad After Story on the depressing scale.

Edit: I say this pretty much every time Kira Kira comes up, but Deardrops is pretty similar in tone and theme to Kira Kira, and contains zero sad endings, so it'd fit your request. However, it shares a setting with Kira Kira and has a few minor references and cameos you wouldn't recognize without having played Kira Kira first.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 22, 2013

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Blhue posted:

Yeah, worse. Somewhere between HF normal and Clannad After Story on the depressing scale.

Edit: I say this pretty much every time Kira Kira comes up, but Deardrops is pretty similar in tone and theme to Kira Kira, and contains zero sad endings, so it'd fit your request. However, it shares a setting with Kira Kira and has a few minor references and cameos you wouldn't recognize without having played Kira Kira first.

Yeah, I'll read that eventually. I'm looking around on VNDB and mangagamers right now, and there are some VNs that haven't been mentioned often here. I mean, I expected Da Capo 2 to be pretty awful based on the premise, but I enjoyed it. Surely this means that every seemingly fetishy visual novel is actually a diamond in the rough!
Nope, I will be horribly disappointed, but perhaps my suffering can entertain the rest of the thread.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly, most generic cash-in school comedy stuff that's been translated isn't so much bad as it is mediocre. There's a couple of amusing lines, maybe a decent character, but absolutely nothing of interest to them. Not even the kernel of a good idea. Failing requires ambition.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

planetarial posted:

Dra+KoI's translation patch is finished.. It's a short VN (according to VNDB) by Nitroplus. Since their works have a good track record its probably worth checking out.

dra+koi.jpg:

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
For those who like darker story-based visual novels in the TYPE-MOON vein, you might be interested to know that there is currently a big Western VN being developed that the creators claim is influenced by Fate/Stay Night.
It is called Errant Heart and it is currently mostly done but doing a Kickstarter campaign to finish the development.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/851478113/errant-heart-a-visual-novel/
From my understanding, the bulk of the script and programming is done and they are just looking for funding to finish the professional artwork and music. The writers and artists created some graphic novels published through Tokyopop and video game composer Jake Kaufman is signed on to the project. Also worth noting it is an all ages game not an eroge. I thought it looked promising so I wanted to share it here. It could be worth supporting if you are a fan of similar things.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Welp. Dra+Koi.

That was a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmZRt_VXWmQ

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So...Worth a read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I liked that they referenced Demonbane. I'm not far yet, but it feels pretty similar to that game too. Wonder if its the same writer.

Edit: Yup, same writer.

Edit more: Now that I've finished it, I'd say yes. Worth playing. Its a little porny, but pretty good otherwise. And short, so if you don't like it, you won't have to deal with it for very long.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 23, 2013

• Locked thread