Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competent_man posted:

Many non-superpowered comic book characters are written as hyper-competent characters due to the perception that they would simply be considered underpowered otherwise. Batman, for example, is typically depicted as a member of the Justice League of America alongside Superman, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern, all of whom are superpowered whilst he lacks superhuman powers of any kind. As a result, despite his original depiction as a vigilante, modern depictions of Batman portray him as having achieved the peak-human possibility in all things physical and intellectual. The same treatment has been applied to Lex Luthor, who has always been Superman's archenemy despite the former's total lack of superhuman powers.

see also: the list of examples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

i dunno i don't see anyone from yospos ever going on that list

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Sagebrush posted:

not entirely worthless but just stupid

never mind that glass filled nylon is used for literally millions of things that normal people might have heard of, like spatulas and knife handles and watering cans and desk chairs and power tool bodies. let's use as our example the "spudger", a plastic stick used by computer janitors to poke wires

the page on spudgers is surprisingly short tho

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Marshall

quote:

Grand Marshal often appears as a rank in science fiction sources, often in space or star fleets whose size requires a rank above such other titles as Surface Marshal and Fleet Admiral. Among Grand Marshal science fiction equivalents include:

Grand Marshal: The 14th and highest PvP honor rank of the Alliance in World of Warcraft.
Grand Marshal: A rank held by Imperial Guard officers in the Warhammer 40,000 universe. It seems to be assigned to officers who command the armed forces of an entire planet. It is inferior to Lord Commander Militant.
Grand Marshal: Highest conjectural rank of the TIE fighter forces in the universe of Star Wars, equivalent to a Grand Admiral. This assumes that the TIE fighter forces are a separate branch of service from the Imperial Navy.

I rearranged it so the worst one is last but they're all really bad

thanks, wikipedia !!!

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
from rapgenius but whatever:

quote:

Lil Wayne – A Milli Lyrics
I'm a venereal disease like a menstrual bleed
Through the pencil I leak on the sheet of the tablet in my mind

quote:

It may sound like Lil Wayne believes female menstruation is a venereal disease, but that’s probably not what’s going on. He loosely connects the two (they’re both vagina-y and kind of gross to men) to transition into a description of his writing process. Similarly, Wayne’s career keeps coming back for more, just like a monthly period.

Like a menstrual bleed, he leaks blood through a pencil — not onto a sheet of paper, but onto a sheet of a tablet that exists only in his mind. He’s taking a familiar rap trope — “I don’t write my lyrics” — and making it much more vivid

In other versions of Breathe, he corrects this line by saying “I’m a venereal disease, like a menstrual I bleed.”

Additionally, “menstrual” also sounds like “minstrel,” a musical performer from medieval Europe. Weezy is a timeless entertainer.

:psyduck:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

WorkingPeer posted:

the page on spudgers is surprisingly short tho

/wiki/Spudger#In_Anime

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Actually I believe he's referencing the other meaning of minstrel, a white person pretending to be black for purposes of entertainment

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

Pretty much all of these pictures are :nms: as hell http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Bad_image_list

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

File:Wikibukkake.png

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

File:Fuck_off_Wikipedia.jpg

Also why are there so many dude assholes

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

you don't like dude buttholes?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

FutureFriend posted:

you don't like dude buttholes?

I prefer my dude buttholes to look nice and fresh, those on wikipedia are just shameful

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Casual Male XL Fan
May 26, 2008

Thank you Mikey71. Thank you for sharing your wonderful image of you shocking your own cock and balls with a contraption for Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Also, nws ya dingus.

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011
“And Tillman’s last words? The soldier with him at the time poignantly recalls how Tillman saved his life even while his screams couldn’t spare his own. To his buddies but 40 yards away who were unloading artillery into his chest and head he screamed, “I’m loving Pat Tillman, why are you shooting at me? I’m loving Pat Tillman!”

http://www.motherjones.com/media/2010/09/pat-tillmans-war

not from wikipedia but close enough

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

buttcoin smuggler posted:

“And Tillman’s last words? The soldier with him at the time poignantly recalls how Tillman saved his life even while his screams couldn’t spare his own. To his buddies but 40 yards away who were unloading artillery into his chest and head he screamed, “I’m loving Pat Tillman, why are you shooting at me? I’m loving Pat Tillman!”

http://www.motherjones.com/media/2010/09/pat-tillmans-war

not from wikipedia but close enough

everything about this is awful and horrible :(

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Runner's Diarrhea, often termed "runner's trots"[1] or "the gingerbread man",[2] is a condition that often affects distance runners, and is characterized by an urgent need for a bowel movement mid-run. If the runner can find a suitable toilet or bush, the resulting stool will be on the higher end of the Bristol Stool Scale. Whether the stool can be considered diarrhea, or a clinical expression of ischemic enteropathy is under debate.[3]

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

axolotl farmer posted:

Runner's Diarrhea, often termed "runner's trots"[1] or "the gingerbread man",[2] is a condition that often affects distance runners, and is characterized by an urgent need for a bowel movement mid-run. If the runner can find a suitable toilet or bush, the resulting stool will be on the higher end of the Bristol Stool Scale. Whether the stool can be considered diarrhea, or a clinical expression of ischemic enteropathy is under debate.[3]

rip george carlin

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The tawashi (たわし or 束子?, lit., a bundle) is a Japanese popular scrubbing brush to wash off dirt. The typical tawashi is Kamenoko Tawashi.

Btw, a dishuu-raguu is a cloth (kurohzu) that is used to clean up kitchen spills (kichinu-spiirusu) in Japan (Ni-hon).

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
pinku

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
kawaii

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
not a terrible idea i guess? :shrug:

quote:

National Library of Scotland recruits "Wikipedian"
The National Library of Scotland has announced plans to recruit a full-time "Wikipedian".

The £30,000-a-year pro rata role - a first for Scotland - will involve using the library's collections to update the online user-led encyclopaedia.

The library said its "Wikipedian-in-residence" would also teach staff and the public how to add to the site.

It is the first large-scale partnership between Wikimedia and a Scottish institution.

Gill Hamilton, digital access manager, said the library had decided to embrace the website in order to give access to knowledge to the largest possible audience.

"The National Library is a very traditional sort of library, but we are interested in connecting with lots of different people," she said.

"We have these amazing collections, and our staff know an amazing amount of stuff, so it's trying to extract that information and use it to enrich what is there.

"For example, we have the last letter of Mary Queen of Scots. We can digitise that and add it to the Wikipedia page."

She added: "It absolutely is the future, because the National Library up here in Edinburgh can't be accessed via the front door by many. We're looking for channels to give access to people all over the world."

Ms Hamilton said the "Wikipedian" would also play a crucial role in educating librarians about how to contribute to the site, as many had been "a bit bemused until now".

Wikipedia is one of the most-used websites in the world. It estimates that is has about 365 million readers worldwide.

The concept of "Wikipedians" is relatively new. The British Library recruited its first, Andrew Gray, in May 2012.

The National Library of Scotland has advertised the post as an initial four-month contract jointly funded with Wikimedia, the non-for-profit organisation behind Wikipedia.

The deadline for applications is 6 May.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
:scotland:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

WorkingPeer posted:

not a terrible idea i guess? :shrug:

are they going to contribute primarily to the English or Scots wikipedia i wonder

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hammerite posted:

are they going to contribute primarily to the English or Scots wikipedia i wonder

don't they speak english in scotland? they seemed to all know it when i visited (although that was some years ago)

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

anything that increases wikipedias snr is good. plus itll give wikispergs fits when this guy cites 600 year old books

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

prefect posted:

don't they speak english in scotland? they seemed to all know it when i visited (although that was some years ago)

you could call it english yes

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Saint Darwin posted:

you could call it english yes

i love the scottish accent so much :swoon:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

so expect half million word articles about the 3 or 4 obscure battles the scotch won against the english, and a hundred page rant about the stone of scone

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

i foresee great things for the haggis article

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Saint Darwin posted:

i foresee great things for the haggis article

there will be robert burns quoted, and it will not be translated into normal human words

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

NEEPS

AND

TATTIES

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

here thanks wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_gallon_bucket

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

A hataki (叩き?) is a type of household cleaning tool, originating in Japan. Consisting of durable cloth strips attached to a stick or pole, it is used for removing dust from surfaces onto the floor, where it can be swept or vacuumed. Similar to a feather duster, it is not to be confused with an Ōnusa.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

"a water bucket is used to carry water"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

gently caress sake are these idiots trying to build a japanese-english dictionary

ban them all for 輝かしい未来

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

someone write a bot that goes through an actual japanese->english dictionary, looks up the japanese word on wikipedia and puts in a merge request to the english word

then just keep running it forever

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

alternately, have a program generate japanese-sounding words, look them up & put in a merge request to the first link in the article if they exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Kurozhu (くろず, from Enligsh cloth) is a Japanese cleaning utensil consisting of a square or rectangular piece of fabric.

The Kurozhu is commonly made from cotton fabric, but sometimes synthetics are used. Very high-end kurozhus are made from liniere (リンネル) or Japanese linen. They are often printed with a plaid pattern, or company mascots.

In popular culture:

Japanese housewives in anime and manga are commonly depicted wearing an eipuron (エプロン) or apron and using a kurozhu to dust off objects or wipe kitchen surfaces.