Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Tomberforce posted:

The dive shop I'm doing my DM with owns Exmouth Diving centre who also do whaleshark tours, so I know a few of the Exmouth crew.

If you meet Shep - can't miss her, she looks like a pixie - please pass on something like "Finch's ears are still bigger!" It might blow her mind to hear that losing a bet has followed her across continents and hemispheres...

MA-Horus posted:

That's what a friend of mine does, and she's an OUTSTANDING DM. I know she DMs with New Way and Big Blue.

What's her name?

There are a lot of great freelance DM's but the long term outstanding guys get snaffled up for full time gigs fairly quickly.

Also, check out the South East Asia thread for a video of Songkran on Koh Tao...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Tomberforce posted:

Cool I'm going to try and make it up there in May. You dive in Perth much?
Nowhere near as much as I would like. Always seem to be doing something that gets in the way.

quote:

The dive shop I'm doing my DM with owns Exmouth Diving centre who also do whaleshark tours, so I know a few of the Exmouth crew.

Got any recommendations for something to do for my partner while im off diving?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Finch! posted:

If you meet Shep - can't miss her, she looks like a pixie - please pass on something like "Finch's ears are still bigger!" It might blow her mind to hear that losing a bet has followed her across continents and hemispheres...

What's her name?

There are a lot of great freelance DM's but the long term outstanding guys get snaffled up for full time gigs fairly quickly.

Also, check out the South East Asia thread for a video of Songkran on Koh Tao...

Meghan. Little Aussie chick that I swear was born with a regulator.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

DreadLlama posted:

gently caress Thai immigration policy though.

Yeah about that... is the trick that was keeping people there still functional (60 day visas getting renewed perpetually, with tour operators setting up tours to take you over the border with visa runs)? If Immigration Officials turn up... turn your dive shop tshirt inside out quick...

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

MA-Horus posted:

Meghan. Little Aussie chick that I swear was born with a regulator.

I've known Meghan for years. She's cool. A little quirky but you're right - she is a brilliant DM.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Finch! posted:

I've known Meghan for years. She's cool. A little quirky but you're right - she is a brilliant DM.

Yup, quite quirky. But awesome too.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Finch! posted:

What makes a brilliant DM?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

pupdive posted:

What makes a brilliant DM?

Extremely competent, very knowledgeable in regards to the dive sites and wildlife in the area. Willing and able to help the not-so-good divers become better divers and most importantly keeping their divers SAFE underwater. No taking risks, or diving beyond the limits of the divers.

jimmydean
Aug 25, 2008
I remembering hearing about about some crazy rapid decompression accident with some russian(?) divers. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

E - found it. Byford dolphin.

jimmydean fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 19, 2013

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

All set for diving in the local brick quarry tomorrow! will be my first time with a bp/w in proper water but i liked it a lot in the pool. Water temp should be around 7 celcius.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
Yesterday I went to a rescue diving inservice. My husband is starting to work on his OW for when we go to Belize so my instructor had me buddy off with him in the pool to teach him mask clearing, regulator recovery, etc. So, this is my husband and me yesterday--me being on the right in the orange shirt/polka dot bikini top! :)

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Heners_UK posted:

Yeah about that... is the trick that was keeping people there still functional (60 day visas getting renewed perpetually, with tour operators setting up tours to take you over the border with visa runs)? If Immigration Officials turn up... turn your dive shop tshirt inside out quick...

Pretty much this. Half the staff where I was would just laze around on the beach like tourists when immigration was on the island. They weren't allowed to go home, but couldn't work in the shop either. It was pretty chill for them, but irritation for the DMTs with a deadline.

Worst part was that you'd find out they were on the island by word of mouth that somebody'd got busted. Sitting in the equipment room with a clipboard counting masks or something, sees a bright flash. Some Thai guy in a suit just took his picture. I heard he tried hiding in toilet for 3 hours while they waited outside. What a lovely day.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Holy crap.. I thought the whole place existed on them turning a blind eye to it all going on as it drove tourism... I didn't think they actually engaged in surveillance and subterfuge to actually catch people.

Any chance you could give a little more about those stories? Danger of a derail of the thread but when I was out there creative immigration was hand in hand with diving...

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Sorry, I tried to answer that question twice. Once six hours ago and again now. I cannot compose a reply that doesn't come off extremely racist-sounding against Thais. I'm sure they are overall good people, but there's enough bad apples in the lot of leave me with an extremely sour taste.

Besides most of my other stories include things like how "marine toilet = tube that goes into the ocean," or "CESA line - boat anchor dropped onto the reef" or, "Fishing trip where you eat the fish other people are paying to look at = brilliant long term business model."

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

There was a boat captain in Koh Tao that apparently dropped anchor right onto the reef. With a tie-off line right next to him.

Nobody knows why he did it. And then he dragged anchor.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Hey y'all, we have a question that I could use some help on. Most of our dives have been deep south Caribbean (Curacao, Aruba, Turks and Caicos, etc etc), but we are going to be in Bimini in a week and a half, since it is cheap as all gently caress to fly out of Louisville just before Derby and back to Louisville just after.

But I just realized that water temps are going to be in the 70s and our 2.5MM shorties aren't really gonna do it. So, advice on new wetsuit thickness would appreciated... Is there any reason not to say gently caress it all and buy 5MM full suits and just start using those everywhere? Or should we just take one step up over our current suits and but 3MM fulls? I'm of the opinion that we may as well buy the 5MM fulls and just take them off out of water, but my wife thinks we should just get 3MM fulls since we pretty much only dive the tropics.

Anyway, we need to get more suits before next Thursday, so any advice will be appreciated! Also, with any luck, the water is cool enough that it is still hammerhead season in a week and a half and I can give you some lovely jackyl photos of hammerheads.

e: I'm looking at this.

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 25, 2013

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

jackyl posted:

Hey y'all, we have a question that I could use some help on. Most of our dives have been deep south Caribbean (Curacao, Aruba, Turks and Caicos, etc etc), but we are going to be in Bimini in a week and a half, since it is cheap as all gently caress to fly out of Louisville just before Derby and back to Louisville just after.

But I just realized that water temps are going to be in the 70s and our 2.5MM shorties aren't really gonna do it. So, advice on new wetsuit thickness would appreciated... Is there any reason not to say gently caress it all and buy 5MM full suits and just start using those everywhere? Or should we just take one step up over our current suits and but 3MM fulls? I'm of the opinion that we may as well buy the 5MM fulls and just take them off out of water, but my wife thinks we should just get 3MM fulls since we pretty much only dive the tropics.

Anyway, we need to get more suits before next Thursday, so any advice will be appreciated! Also, with any luck, the water is cool enough that it is still hammerhead season in a week and a half and I can give you some lovely jackyl photos of hammerheads.

Wetsuits are super dependant on how you personally take the cold, but yes, a 5mm is the minimum you should be wearing at that temp. A really good piece of gear to invest in is a hooded vest. They help to bridge the gap between wetsuits, as you can wear one under a suit and increase its thermal protection. Also, you can get 1mm neoprene shirts that help out, which layer well and act as rash guards in tropical temp water. Also, if this is just a temp thing, will renting not work? I know renting wetsuits is gross as poo poo, but some mirazyme can take care of that and save you some money.

I gotta say, please don't buy from leisurepro. They buy from defunct dive shops, sell gear at a super low rate and aren't authorized manufacturer dealers . They are a lovely business, and take money away from the people who make this hobby worthwhile, dive shops. Dive shops make this hobby go, and its important to support them. Hell, i live in Dallas, and ScubaToys is a local competitor and i'd still rather you bought from them then loving leisurepro.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Crunkjuice posted:

Wetsuits are super dependant on how you personally take the cold, but yes, a 5mm is the minimum you should be wearing at that temp. A really good piece of gear to invest in is a hooded vest. They help to bridge the gap between wetsuits, as you can wear one under a suit and increase its thermal protection. Also, you can get 1mm neoprene shirts that help out, which layer well and act as rash guards in tropical temp water. Also, if this is just a temp thing, will renting not work? I know renting wetsuits is gross as poo poo, but some mirazyme can take care of that and save you some money.

I gotta say, please don't buy from leisurepro. They buy from defunct dive shops, sell gear at a super low rate and aren't authorized manufacturer dealers . They are a lovely business, and take money away from the people who make this hobby worthwhile, dive shops. Dive shops make this hobby go, and its important to support them. Hell, i live in Dallas, and ScubaToys is a local competitor and i'd still rather you bought from them then loving leisurepro.

We bought all our gear, excepting masks and fins that we bought from a local PADI affiliate when we visited them, from ZoCrowes' (a local goon) shop, so I'm on board with LDS buying. I will internet buy, though, if I'm under time pressure (we are) and we can't find what we need locally (I'm going to ZoCrowes' tomorrow and she's going to the PADI LDS to see what both have in stock).

Now that I've said that, thanks for the advice! Yeah, renting is an option, but it is loving gross and we might as well buy something warmer, since we got chilly at sub 100' in Turks and Caicos wall dives and we already have Belize booked for December, this Bimini trip and St. Lucia for 10 days over Memorial Day week. Also we may end up doing a few LDS long weekends to Florida. So, by the time we rent, we might as well buy something, especially since my wife finds the rental gear generally too large for her - the junior sizes fit best.

Your idea about a hooded vest is interesting, but will that make a difference with full leg exposure?

e: we could buy in Miami too, I suppose, since we're flying there and taking the ferry. But that's a whole shitload of moving parts, especially since the ferry runs on island time.

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 25, 2013

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

jackyl posted:

We bought all our gear, excepting masks and fins that we bought from a local PADI affiliate when we visited them, from ZoCrowes' (a local goon) shop, so I'm on board with LDS buying. I will internet buy, though, if I'm under time pressure (we are) and we can't find what we need locally (I'm going to ZoCrowes' tomorrow and she's going to the PADI LDS to see what both have in stock).

Now that I've said that, thanks for the advice! Yeah, renting is an option, but it is loving gross and we might as well buy something warmer, since we got chilly at sub 100' in Turks and Caicos wall dives and we already have Belize booked for December, this Bimini trip and St. Lucia for 10 days over Memorial Day week. Also we may end up doing a few LDS long weekends to Florida. So, by the time we rent, we might as well buy something, especially since my wife finds the rental gear generally too large for her - the junior sizes fit best.

Your idea about a hooded vest is interesting, but will that make a difference with full leg exposure?

e: we could buy in Miami too, I suppose, since we're flying there and taking the ferry. But that's a whole shitload of moving parts, especially since the ferry runs on island time.

I fully understand price and time constraints. I appreciate, as a divemaster, you guys buying stuff from shops as best you can.

As for hooded vests, they're pretty useful. They help to a degree, and thats all variable to how well you deal with the cold. Say you are comfortable at x degrees in a full 3mm wetsuit. It drops a few degrees and you put on a hood/gloves. If it drops cooler you'd think normally to get a thicker wetsuit but a hooded vest can do you SO much good. If you keep your core warm, your extremities will take care of themselves pretty well.

The good thing about the hooded vest is that is can contribute to every temperature range. I have a 3mm/5mm/drysuit and a 5/3mm hooded vest. When it goes from super warm to needing thermal protection, i'll wear my vest alone with the hood folded back. When it gets colder, i'll wear my full 3mm alone. Colder i wear my 3mm + 5/3 vest and gloves. Colder i wear my 5mm/hood/gloves and frankly, depending on how much of a bitch i'm feeling i'll wear my vest too. After that, (below 65 degrees) its straight up drysuit. I take thermal protection as a safety measure it is, people saying its only for buoyancy are dumb as poo poo .

As for full vs shorty wetsuits, a hooded vest won't bridge the gap between a shorty to a full suit. That's just too much skin exposure for some extra core thermal protection to be able to handle.

As for renting, you can mitigate the gross factor. Things like Sink the Stink http://www.houseofscuba.com/wetsuit-repair/acc199.html are single use wetsuit washes and cost like 2 bucks. If you talk to the shop or whomever, if you can get a tub of water, you can clean out the wetsuit no problem. Depending on your schedule and when you arrive, if you get your wetsuit a day before, washing it can be super easy and still save you money on buying one outright.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Fantastic, thanks! I'm still hoping we can pick up a couple before we leave, but if not, we'll go with one of those cleaners.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

jackyl posted:

I agree that it's a personal issue and that a hood will do wonders to keep you warm. I easily can do 3-4 dives a day in board shorts and a 0.5mm rash guard in the tropics. However, if you get cold easily then a 5mm is a safe bet in the tropics.

Buying from leisurepro is fine. I've bought lots of items from them and find they have great customer service and will honour the manufacturer warranty even if they aren't an authorized dealer. They are a good business that supports the diving community it sells to. However, with wetsuits you always want to fit them before buying. In this case, I'd recommend buying that item from your LDS.

Crunkjuice posted:

Many divers, such as myself, have no qualms buying from leisurepro instead of our brick and mortar dive shop when they need to. The LP discussion has been a mainstay on scubaboard for the last 10 years, so rather than rehash it on SA it's probably best to just leave it up to the goon where they want to buy their gear (unless it's super shady). It's always caveat emptor when buying online.

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 25, 2013

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

I did some great diving today, my first time out since getting certified and my first boat dive. This trip was to Anacapa Island (Channel Islands, CA), on the way out there was a huge pod of dolphins which was a great way to start the day. I was diving with an instructor from my lds and a guy doing some photo stuff and practicing for his solo dive course.

First dive was a bit stressful at first but mellowed out once we got going and was just good fun. We saw a crab about 18" across which was pretty neat.

Second dive we got to swim through an arch which was far cooler than I anticipated, then checked out some sea lions sunning and then had three join us in the water for a while (which was loving awesome). At one point during this dive the water temp got down to 52F which is loving cold (I was wearing a 7mm wetsuit, even the people I was with in drysuits said it was too cold).

Third dive I noticed leak on other diver, ironically while he was practicing switching to a pony bottle for the first time. I showed the instructor and he thumbed the guys dive. I think the guy was a bit put off, as he had more air than me at this point, but his first stage was leaking at the yoke, so the instructor was worried about a blowout. While swimming the guy back to the boat I noticed a second leak, this team on the guy's spg. After that me and the instructor had a chill dive looking for wildlife on a rockwall, he seemed to love pointing out all the lobsters, which I had little interest in. I did see a few really cool looking nudibranches, some starfish, some regular fish, and another sealion.

All in all an excellent day diving, I can't wait to go out and do it again... which will be wednesday :)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Leak as in a few bubbles?

Or leak as in "oh poo poo I could breathe from that"

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I'm a week away from Bimini, please still be hammerhead season when we get there! :ohdear:

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

East gales to 35 kt. Wind waves 17 ft. Scattered showers.

Its time to DIVE
Greaty Hammerheads in Bimini

Are they baiting them for you?

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

MA-Horus posted:

Leak as in a few bubbles?

Or leak as in "oh poo poo I could breathe from that"

The yoke leak was a nice stream of "champagne" bubbles as the di with us described them, the spg leak was about one 1/4" bubble a second. He probably would have been fine for the ~35 minute dive even in the case of a blowout he had a secondary air source and most of the dive was at about 35ft. The instructor explained after that ending the guy's dive was about establishing best practices for solo diving which the guy who had the leak intends to do.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Some recent stuff I managed to squeeze in when in Australia, the weather was awful but managed to get out once and the vis was pretty bad too.

https://vimeo.com/64936360

This shark twitched hard.
https://vimeo.com/64936647

https://vimeo.com/64935557

https://vimeo.com/64937770

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
Trip Report!

On Saturday i went diving again at Pulau Sembilan off the west coast of Peninsula Malaysia (it's the closest dive site to Kuala Lumpur, about 2 hours+ by car). This trip wasn't as good as the one i did there earlier in the month (same DC, there's only one there), but i took some positives away from it at the end of the day.

The Good:
- Saw three baby nudis within two feet of each other, tiny little buggers and really cute.

- Not very far away we came across two nudis mating, awesome.

- Vis went to poo poo on the last dive of the day, down to 0.5-1m. I take this as a positive since it is my first time in such low vis and i didn't panic or lose my bearings/buddy. The tides apparently turned and stirred up sediment, about 45 minutes before the dive i had snorkeled the area and the vis was slightly better than the 4-5m we got on the earlier dives.

- My first time diving "alone" and pairing up with a stranger. We got along good and both have about the name number of dives (15-20), but he was as conscious of my location as i was of his during the dives. We also had a marine biologist that works at the DC tag along to make it a threesome, she was busy doing her census of the wildlife but never strayed very far from us.

The Bad:
- DM had an OW student (who was pretty slow) with him, which meant that we'd spend about 15 minutes at the beginning of each dive kneeling on the bottom whilst he (slowly) went through skills with his student. Once he was done he'd lead us around. To me this was time wasted.

- DM and his student again. They didn't seem to be well matched. The student was an older dude (at least 50+) who didn't seem to be able to grasp what he had to do (or it was not briefed properly before hand, or he was just not able to process so much information) and didn't seem very serious about it. They were doing the OW dives No.2-4, apparently the day before they did the confined dives and OW No.1 in poor vis without much issue. Perhaps the presence of two other divers on the boat distracted him. I heard the DM raise his voice at the student twice in the day, after the second time the student just gave up and got back in the boat (this was on the last dive). Just prior to that the DM had lost the student in the low vis after they had gone over the hovering skill. They did the hover skill whilst the rest of us kneeled and looked at their shadows. At the end of it the DM asked the student to come back down but the student kept rising. The DM turned to look at us and i pointed out that his student was still rising, DM kept waving at him to come back down, looked away and next thing he knew the student disappeared in the murk. We looked around for about a minute and surfaced as per a separation scenario. We found the student sitting in the boat already when we got to the surface. The DM managed to coax him back in the water but raised his voice again about something and the student just gave up. It was just unpleasant to witness all of it and i was a little concerned when we/the DM lost the student underwater although i had last seen him heading to the surface.

- I just didn't like the DM, he rubbed me the wrong way. The kind of person that always has to one-up everyone in a conversation about anything to show his experience and superiority and i somehow got the feeling he wasn't totally happy seeing that i had all of my own gear (can't imagine why though). I think in his mind he was an INSTRUCTOR and us certified noobs are still his students. I had to hear "i usually don't allow my students to wear gloves" to "why do you have two dive comps, we usually don't encourage it". The irony was that his dive comp was already on the fritz before the first dive and i lent him my backup for the rest of the day (with a straight face). By the end of the day i was pissed enough that i didn't leave a tip, which i did on my last trip there (different DM) even though tips are not normal to them and they had no idea how to react to receiving mine.

All in all it wasn't the best of days, probably the worst day of diving i've had (i'm sure there'll be many more), but i still took away some experiences and lessons (low vis is kinda awesome in a challenging way). I was half telling myself i won't dive with them anymore but i will probably go running when they call me again.

Next up is a weekend LOB trip to Pulau Tioman/Aur (Peninsula Malaysia) in the middle of May. The boat departs from Singapore which is convenient. Doing a liveaboard will be another first for me, i'm looking forward to it but also kinda nervous. After that i go back to Manado in June for a week to do get my AOW (NAUI instead of PADI this time) and Nitrox certs plus another bunch of dives.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7LIvm-21NA

I went to the Red Sea at 3:10 you see the Thistlegorm.

Full with 2nd world war stuff.
Yeah it's me in the pink short...it was also having my birthday on this ship got a pink cake :)

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

raffie posted:

Trip Report!

(Nice thoughtful writing.)

As someone who does this for a living, it is important that I get to hear from you (a committed new diver) how it looks from your side.

Thanks for spending the time to write this up. There are lots of things I could probably explain about why it happened the way it did, but none of the explanations suffice.

(The computer thing is a real head scratcher. Isn't it the job of a pro to never have to call a dive because of their own gear problems? I never dive with just one computer for exactly the reason you do, except that I am getting paid for it. Good on you for taking care of yourself, and bad on him for being silly.)

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent

pupdive posted:

As someone who does this for a living, it is important that I get to hear from you (a committed new diver) how it looks from your side.

Thanks for spending the time to write this up. There are lots of things I could probably explain about why it happened the way it did, but none of the explanations suffice.

(The computer thing is a real head scratcher. Isn't it the job of a pro to never have to call a dive because of their own gear problems? I never dive with just one computer for exactly the reason you do, except that I am getting paid for it. Good on you for taking care of yourself, and bad on him for being silly.)

From what i gathered, he had already known his comp was on the fritz before the boat even left the jetty. I don't know why he couldn't just grab a spare from the DC but it seemed like the comp was his personal one. He mentioned it again before the first dive but went ahead with it anyway. Yeah sure it was shallow (15-16m max) and essentially a 2nd OW dive for his student with us tagging along for the sightseeing after the skills were done, but i don't know what he was thinking (or perhaps he's used to doing things this way). When he mentioned it again after the first dive i offered him my backup since we had dived the same profile anyway.

This DC is the only one in the area and is pretty quiet. Their main centre is on the East coast and it seems that this centre is utilised more for training since it's closer to the capital and easier to access. Apparently they don't have dives everyday so the DMs travel there when necessary. Saturday's DM seemed to be an employee of the operation but based at their main branch and he only came over to conduct the course and DM for our trip. On my previous trip the DM was a freelancer who said he travelled around where ever DCs needed a hand, he was pretty cool giving out advice without being too condescending like Saturday's one.

I understand that perhaps the DM was starting to lose patience with his student and was probably under the pressure of time as i think the student signed up for one of those "get your OW certification in 3/4 days, including the theory part" and time was running out. Still it was not pleasant to watch the breakdown in the relationship as the day went on and i felt the DM could have done more to hide his frustration at the student because all that will achieve is to stress the student more. I got the impression that if the student had managed to just come back down and complete the dive, he would have gotten the cert even though he was clearly not ready yet. Actually i don't know if he got the cert anyway as i left after a shower and filling out my log book. They were still sitting there going over the course materials.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

pupdive posted:

Isn't it the job of a pro to never have to call a dive because of their own gear problems? I never dive with just one computer for exactly the reason you do, except that I am getting paid for it.

You must not do deep diving? All the dive pros here are required to carry computers and they are monitored to make sure they are not dragging tourists to 160-180ft or deeper. Yes stupidity happens..

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

So you signed up with a dive shop and they threw you in with an ow class? That's super super lovely. Also, when you say the Dm had an ow student, you mean a certified owsi was acting as your Dm right?

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

SlicerDicer posted:

You must not do deep diving? All the dive pros here are required to carry computers and they are monitored to make sure they are not dragging tourists to 160-180ft or deeper. Yes stupidity happens..

I think he meant he always carries two computers!

Man I really find it absurd when pros get annoyed and snarky about people who have difficulties - they're the ones who we train for, and seeing and helping them get over their initial difficulties and start having fun and becoming good divers is what makes being a DM/Instructor satisfying! Teaching someone who picks everything up straight away is easy!

I had a situation the other day that I'm really annoyed with myself about. I was DMing a pool session with 3 OW students, it was the end of the day and while the instructor and the other DM were sorting gear outside the pool I was helping the students out of the water. I'd already got out of the water to help the with 2 students still in get out of their gear when one drops his mask in the 3.5 metre deep pool. He tells me and I tell him to get out of the pool and that I'll get it, but while I'm putting my fins on, he dumps all his air and is on his way to get it himself and was back up before I could do anything. Of course he was fine - he was a perfectly comfortable (overconfident) student, I suspect he actually dropped his mask down there deliberately to 'challenge' himself to go and get it without a mask. I was just really annoyed that I hadn't anticipated the situation better. It's a learning process though.

Tomberforce fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 30, 2013

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

SlicerDicer posted:

Some recent stuff I managed to squeeze in when in Australia, the weather was awful but managed to get out once and the vis was pretty bad too.

https://vimeo.com/64936360

This shark twitched hard.
https://vimeo.com/64936647

https://vimeo.com/64935557

https://vimeo.com/64937770

Whereabouts in Australia were you?

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent

Crunkjuice posted:

So you signed up with a dive shop and they threw you in with an ow class? That's super super lovely. Also, when you say the Dm had an ow student, you mean a certified owsi was acting as your Dm right?

More like they called me up the other week and said "hey we've got a free slot on the 27th, you interested?" without mentioning there would be an OW class going on. They don't have trips everyday but they'll arrange one if you can get at least two people signing up (that's how i arranged the previous trip, a friend was in town). The next time they call i'll be asking if there's an OW class going on for sure.

Yeah the owsi was acting as the DM as well.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008
Refugee from the great account hijacking of 2008
Asked the thread about going diving in Malaysia recently. Decided to skip Kuala Lumpur altogether and meet my friend who lives there in Kota Kinabalu, since he's never been there and wants to check it out. This puts us very close to Sipadan, so that's our plan.

To the guy who went there and posted about it upthread: could you tell me where you stayed (I think you said it was in Semporna) and which operation you went with for the diving? Would you recommend your hotel and/or the dive operation, or would you try something else if given another chance? My friend and I are near 30 and are not rich at the moment, but I'll be making a good bit of money starting in the fall.

On a side note, if anyone has done anything interesting in Kota Kinabalu itself I'd be interested to hear it.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Tomberforce posted:

Whereabouts in Australia were you?

Broughton Island just north of Newcastle NSW, I will spend more time there when I go back for sure I will be down longer too.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent

Oakland Martini posted:

Asked the thread about going diving in Malaysia recently. Decided to skip Kuala Lumpur altogether and meet my friend who lives there in Kota Kinabalu, since he's never been there and wants to check it out. This puts us very close to Sipadan, so that's our plan.

To the guy who went there and posted about it upthread: could you tell me where you stayed (I think you said it was in Semporna) and which operation you went with for the diving? Would you recommend your hotel and/or the dive operation, or would you try something else if given another chance? My friend and I are near 30 and are not rich at the moment, but I'll be making a good bit of money starting in the fall.

On a side note, if anyone has done anything interesting in Kota Kinabalu itself I'd be interested to hear it.

I believe you'll still need to fly from Kota Kinabalu (KK) to Tawau to get to Sipadan or take a long bus ride to Sampoerna(something like 7 hours). If you're relatively fit i'd suggest visiting Mount Kinabalu and trekking to the summit (about 4,000m), it's one of THE things to do at KK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

raffie posted:

to "why do you have two dive comps, we usually don't encourage it". The irony was that his dive comp was already on the fritz before the first dive and i lent him my backup for the rest of the day (with a straight face).
This part cracks me up. He gave you poo poo about having redundancy? It's one thing to just blindly do what your computer tells you, but those people also tend not to be the type to wear a backup computer.