Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This belongs as much in the STDH thread as it does here. I went to high school with this guy and he posts the most jingoistic oo-rah statuses all the loving time. I'm all for national pride, but I sincerely doubt someone asked him this question or assumed that his reasoning was anything other than what he stated in ridiculous fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

The thing that gets me about these conspiracy people isn't just the dumb conspiracies. It's the smug attitude toward people who don't buy into it. "Go back to sleep Sheeple" but these people haven't done any kind of painstaking research, or a lot of thinking, carefully considering the situation and all the evidence. They literally just repost nice prepackaged pictures they see on Facebook.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
I'm just going to post this link from Public Shaming, because it's really long.

But, here's a bunch of people from twitter and facebook who confused Chechnya and the Czech Republic.

http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/48547675807/the-definitive-people-who-thought-chechnya-was-the

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Why do so many teenagers say Czechoslovakia when referring to that country in the present? They aren't even old enough to remember it splitting. :psyduck:

Edit: My school is old as gently caress with abestos warnings all over the place so now it makes sense.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 06:35 on Apr 22, 2013

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Celery Face posted:

Why do so many teenagers say Czechoslovakia when referring to that country in the present? They aren't even old enough to remember it splitting. :psyduck:

It's much cooler to say than just Czech Republic!

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Celery Face posted:

If it's anything like my experience, it's because your school has maps that haven't been updated since 1985 and that's the name your parents use for it.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Magna Kaser posted:

I don't get this. There were a number of comments like "gently caress yeah, I hate loving smart car owners. Nothing is more pretentious and snobby than having one!"

I haven't lived in the States for a while but when did Smart cars go from weird little cars to widely hated?

I really like that status. Not because of the weird shot at environmentalists, but because I'm charmed by the plan. I'm imagine it being like that episode of The Inbetweeners with Jay jumping up and down on a smart car yelling "I'm not your loving friend!"

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

SpaceViking posted:

If it's anything like my experience, it's because your school has maps that haven't been updated since 1985 and that's the name your parents use for it.

Look out for people referring to "Zaire" as well. I heard somebody do that a little while back.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
I was disappointed by the lack of material I was finding for this thread, and then I remembered that I hid this guy's posts from my feed months ago.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

SpaceViking posted:

It's not just the US either, my (dirt poor) catholic school in The Netherlands had a map that had Gdansk as Germany city in 1990.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, my English secondary school had maps referring to Czechoslovakia. I didn't realise it split before '85 (Born in '87)

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Fabulist posted:

They're not idolizing him, they're saying they would bang him. Still gross, don't get me wrong.
I'm surprised you didn't see anyone actually idolizing him, the way people do with the Columbine shooters. It'll happen sooner or later.
It's been like a week, both bombers will show up as somebody's "headmates" soon enough :smithicide:

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, my English secondary school had maps referring to Czechoslovakia. I didn't realise it split before '85 (Born in '87)

It split in 1992.

e: okay, 1993, but it was January 1. I was almost right.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
I wish my friend hadn't unfriended that raving MRA, I was hoping to get more good things out of him (and by good I mean terrible).
This one was shared from a page called "I Love my Gun Rights".

I'm curious as to how an assault weapon would protect you from a surreptitiously-placed bomb.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Tardigrade posted:

I'm curious as to how an assault weapon would protect you from a surreptitiously-placed bomb.

You shoot the bomb, obviously. :rolleyes:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Tardigrade posted:

I wish my friend hadn't unfriended that raving MRA, I was hoping to get more good things out of him (and by good I mean terrible).
This one was shared from a page called "I Love my Gun Rights".

This happened a week ago how are there already images with artifacting? :psyboom:

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun
Oh hey, the first Boston Marathon false flag bullshit post on my feed.

Yeah, now that he may not be able to speak, he has zero means of communicating with anyone forever.

FALSE FLAG BLAAAAAAAARGH :byodood:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
He's actually already communicating by writing. Since you don't need a throat to write.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Is this some new talking point? I've seen a few variations on this sentiment crop up in the last week.

RobotRob
Aug 7, 2007

Let's get weird, but not end of BSG weird.
I finally get to contribute. I don't know why I get to consider that a good thing.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard

Slamhound posted:

Is this some new talking point? I've seen a few variations on this sentiment crop up in the last week.

This argument has been around forever. It seems to be the cop-out argument when you can find nothing good about your stance so you stretch to find something bad about the other side. "I'd be all for giving the blacks the right to vote, but the Black Panthers have done some bad stuff, so I am voting against it."

I don't know what extremist feminist group this dude's referring to, but it's the same tired old argument. Which would only be valid if you were literally voting to put that extremist group into power. As opposed to letting some people, who are different then you, live in the same manner you do.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

bradzilla posted:

This happened a week ago how are there already images with artifacting? :psyboom:

It's not legit until it has artifacting.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Celery Face posted:

Edit: My school is old as gently caress with abestos warnings all over the place so now it makes sense.

Ignoring the fact that it's the wrong location, I'm honestly surprised so many of them managed to spell Czechoslovakia correctly.

Edit: vv drat, I've never tweeted before and everything else I've seen from Twitter sure makes it seem like there's no spellcheck. So what's everyone else's excuse? :P

davebo has a new favorite as of 17:54 on Apr 22, 2013

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

davebo posted:

Ignoring the fact that it's the wrong location, I'm honestly surprised so many of them managed to spell Czechoslovakia correctly.

You can thank spell check for that.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

This is a lot of crazy and ill-typed speculation about something extremely trivial and meaningless.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
E: I'm an idiot.

best friend massage
Sep 12, 2010

bradzilla posted:

Facebook compresses images when you upload them quite often. I uploaded a screenshot of a news article that had decent resolution, and the quality suffered visibly even after I had just uploaded it. It really doesn't take much to compound the horrible artifacting.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
My mother warned me not to accept any Facebook invites from her side of the family, as they tend to be ex-con junkies and other undesirables. I did pull this little treasure before I blocked them all, though:

Trot_to_Trotsky
Dec 9, 2000
Must... Destroy... Capitalism...
Grimey Drawer

Do u understand anything?

nope

Here's a winner posted on my feed yesterday:

:stare:

Over 14,000 shares...

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Trot_to_Trotsky posted:

Do u understand anything?

nope

Here's a winner posted on my feed yesterday:

:stare:

Over 14,000 shares...

I want to know what Colten said to get banned from that page.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

He probably implied affirmative action is fair of that Islamophobia is tinged with racism.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

Perpetual motion smugness:

The video

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

The term friendzone needs to die a horrible death. Only in weirdo spergland is being friends with someone you enjoy spending time with a bad thing.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

That's one way to look at it I guess?

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The term friendzone needs to die a horrible death. Only in weirdo spergland is being friends with someone you enjoy spending time with a bad thing.

It needs to die, and so does the "y u no" stuff.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

:sigh:

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Troposphere posted:

Adults didn't kill me when I was a baby even though they were stronger than me thus disproving evolution.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
I think someone on a FB page for our university offended the art majors.

There's another post where someone says, "Oh, you think you have it hard? Try being a nursing major. :smug:" At least it's a change from all the missed connections and HIV warnings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Troposphere posted:

Except that "fittest" means "best fitted to survive in the particular environment". But people who don't accept evolution aren't really known for their keen grasp of the English language (theory vs. Theory).

• Locked thread