Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Azaael posted:

Re: Warrior-Make sure that you have a physical, ranged pawn with a good AI for some monsters, else you're going to be in for a world of utter pain. Warrior, as it stands, only can equip 3 abilities as opposed to *every other classes* six, and has no ranged abilities whatsoever, so good pawn selection can help out a lot.

It's a fun class, and my own pawn is a warrior, and I play one from time to time when I'm not playing Assassin(along with Fighter)-but I always make sure to have 2 very good, properly kitted out, skill-selected pawns of a ranger and a sorcerer or mage with me at all times when I play one. (With proper inclinations as well.) Metal Golems will make you cry hard. Hell, sometimes even with proper inclinations it can go wrong. I remember when I had made the mistake the first time with the metal golems, even with my pawn as Scather/Utilitarian(the latter is the 'helpful' inclination), I could not get him to boost me up to the highest icon in the room, and the Golem just would not listen to me when I tried to lure him under the thing so I could use it as a springboard. After I have no idea how long of this nonsense I left the room, turned Assassin, and beat the thing in about a minute. That I think may have been the point that started to sour me on the class, which is a drat shame because stylistically they're freakin' cool. Hopefully come DA they have SOME sorta 'throw your sword like a boomerang' attack or something. THAT would honestly help them a whole shitload.

Metal Golems are extremely rare at least. The regular golems are the worst as a Mage/Sorceror if your pawns don't want to jump up on them. I killed one by bashing all the spots with my staff once. I think it took like 20 minutes.

I played a Magick Archer in Dragon's Dogma, I think I'm going to go melee this time around. I think I'll go Fighter->Strider->Warrior and then maybe Assassin or Ranger after that. And I'll have my main pawn as a magic character of course. Mostly for healing, but I'll level Sorceror, Magick Archer and Magick Knight eventually too.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Just skip metal golems as a melee-only class. I don't think any are a required fight. Honestly they're not fun to fight at all even if you do have a ranged option anyway.

Regular golems are great fun though, in my opinion. I kind of wanted to try playing a mage this time since I've yet to do it, but the thought of raining destruction isn't enough to offset staring at a filling cast bar constantly.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Sadly there are a few required Metal Golem fights I think. In particular the one where the villagers go to burn the witch. And one in the Everfall I believe.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

RatHat posted:

Sadly there are a few required Metal Golem fights I think. In particular the one where the villagers go to burn the witch. And one in the Everfall I believe.

If you go back to that area of Witchwood that Selene runs off too, the only place you can get King Bay Leaf, you can come back after that quest is finished and head down to the river and you'll automatically trigger a Metal Golem boss fight, and you need to have a bow to win that one.

There's also a metal golem in one of the Everfall chambers during post-game but you can skip that one if you know where it is. You'll still need a bow though as one of the medals is floating.

Rascyc posted:

Just skip metal golems as a melee-only class. I don't think any are a required fight. Honestly they're not fun to fight at all even if you do have a ranged option anyway.

Regular golems are great fun though, in my opinion. I kind of wanted to try playing a mage this time since I've yet to do it, but the thought of raining destruction isn't enough to offset staring at a filling cast bar constantly.

Just carry one or two super spells and just use weaker, faster spells. Don't be put off by that as every spell does great damage on its own. Miasma as a sorceror is never not a great ability to have because of it's non-elemental damage, plus it's fast to cast and costs little.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
Regular golems are a lot of fun. Technically metal golems are indeed optional; there's a quest to kill two of them, and it's one of the required quests(Mettle against Metal it's called) to get the Platinum Trophy. Otherwise you can skip them(or can skip them anyway if you don't care for the plat.) It's literally just one quest for it though(the one in the Witchwood.) Technically Witch Hunt isn't a required quest to beat the game, but it's another Trophy quest. Plus do you really want to leave Flora(okay, Spirit Flora) and Schierke to those nasty people? :colbert:

After playing all of the classes in one form or another, I'd honestly say in terms of pure overall setup, Assassin and Ranger are two of the 'best' IMO. Despite it's name, the Ranger can still mix it up with awesome kung-fu melee(and it still hurts a lot), and their ranged pewpew is astoundingly hurtful. Assassin is just powerful and a lot of fun(able to swap between daggers or sword and board is great, plus you get some solid bow abilities.)

Sorcerer wins for overall visual impressiveness IMO, those spell effects are insane. Really at the end of the day I think all the classes are awesome in their own way, but I do feel some ended up with the bigger end of the stick than others. Mage is more for folks who I think like actually controlling a support class(which I know of several folks who like this-hire highly offensive pawns, play the mage themselves.) While I'm a bit hard on the Warrior, I think overall the Strider may be the sorta lonesome class-once you get access to Assassin, Ranger, or even Magick Archer there isn't really any reason to play one anymore-at least Warrior has it's own thing going for it(plus, my dude runs around looking like Guts.) Strider is still useful, but it just doesn't really do anything the other classes don't already do better. (Well, Augments aside of course, all the classes have useful Augments to get.)

Also: a fun little tidbit-in the art book, they were discussing a couple of other class ideas. The mentioned ones were...I forget the name, but it was a Spear and Shield idea. The other was a Monk. Not sure why they didn't use the ideas(maybe they didn't fit in.), I think the Monk may have actually been(speculating fully here) the old Yellow/Blue hybrid idea before Magick Archer. I don't know for sure, but it was fun to consider what roles they would have felt/what classes had ended up replacing them. (Or if they were bonus ideas above and beyond the 9.) The main reason why I felt the Monk may have been a 'yellow oriented' class was that the Strider family has a lot of those kung-fu like attacks mixed in that seem to me like they could have belonged to a Monk at some point. I'm not sure how far into development these classes even got.

Azaael fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 22, 2013

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Azaael posted:

Regular golems are a lot of fun. Technically metal golems are indeed optional; there's a quest to kill two of them, and it's one of the required quests(Mettle against Metal it's called) to get the Platinum Trophy. Otherwise you can skip them(or can skip them anyway if you don't care for the plat.) It's literally just one quest for it though(the one in the Witchwood.) Technically Witch Hunt isn't a required quest to beat the game, but it's another Trophy quest. Plus do you really want to leave Flora(okay, Spirit Flora) and Schierke to those nasty people? :colbert:

After playing all of the classes in one form or another, I'd honestly say in terms of pure overall setup, Assassin and Ranger are two of the 'best' IMO. Despite it's name, the Ranger can still mix it up with awesome kung-fu melee(and it still hurts a lot), and their ranged pewpew is astoundingly hurtful. Assassin is just powerful and a lot of fun(able to swap between daggers or sword and board is great, plus you get some solid bow abilities.)

Sorcerer wins for overall visual impressiveness IMO, those spell effects are insane. Really at the end of the day I think all the classes are awesome in their own way, but I do feel some ended up with the bigger end of the stick than others. Mage is more for folks who I think like actually controlling a support class(which I know of several folks who like this-hire highly offensive pawns, play the mage themselves.) While I'm a bit hard on the Warrior, I think overall the Strider may be the sorta lonesome class-once you get access to Assassin, Ranger, or even Magick Archer there isn't really any reason to play one anymore-at least Warrior has it's own thing going for it(plus, my dude runs around looking like Guts.) Strider is still useful, but it just doesn't really do anything the other classes don't already do better. (Well, Augments aside of course, all the classes have useful Augments to get.)

Also: a fun little tidbit-in the art book, they were discussing a couple of other class ideas. The mentioned ones were...I forget the name, but it was a Spear and Shield idea. The other was a Monk. Not sure why they didn't use the ideas(maybe they didn't fit in.), I think the Monk may have actually been(speculating fully here) the old Yellow/Blue hybrid idea before Magick Archer. I don't know for sure, but it was fun to consider what roles they would have felt/what classes had ended up replacing them. (Or if they were bonus ideas above and beyond the 9.) The main reason why I felt the Monk may have been a 'yellow oriented' class was that the Strider family has a lot of those kung-fu like attacks mixed in that seem to me like they could have belonged to a Monk at some point. I'm not sure how far into development these classes even got.

I think a Monk would have been more religiously oriented and you can see how little they expounded on that theme in the game. I'd have whored myself out to get an awesome corrupt priesthood sidestory in this game with Salvation also fighting against the Church. They have all this backstory in the game and yet nothing ever comes of it!

I can just imagine how awesome full hand-to-hand combat (complete with rosaries and belts?) would be. Also the Golden Belt in this game would totally fit a tall bulky guy who was monk. Thanks for sharing those little details!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah the whole church thing in the middle of no where kind of goes no where.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
Yeah, I noticed that too with the church. There started to be something, but it dried up. Oh, http://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Dogma-Official-Design-Japanese/dp/B009CD8MB0 that there is the art book.

Other tidbits seem to have pointed to possible non human races(an elf like race was shown in some concept art, as well as a big beasty-human dude). However-I think I see what they did here. By making aan incredibly huge array of character customization options(weird skin tones, a huge array of size, various ears, various eye colors both human and not), they seemed to get the best of both worlds. (Plus, I admit, I kinda like how humans are essentially the main people-I don't think every fantasy world needs a bunch of obligatory humanoid races necessarily.) These, btw, were literally just sketches-nothing more came of them(but I imagine that's where the inspiration for putting that awesome character creator in started.) The more I think about it the more I'm much, much happier with this-just give us the tools and let us make whatever normal or freakazoid we want.

Apparently they also had plans to have a SotC-sized enemy or two in. THAT I wish made it in. (Btw, the Centurion was the name of the planned spear and shield wielder.)

Makes me excited for a sequel in any case. Was chatting with a friend if they added 3 more classes in(likely hybrids), and we thought Centurion could have come back as another Red-Yellow, Monk as Yellow-Blue, and have a Samurai or something as a Red-Blue, maybe using a 1H sword in either 1 or 2 hands and has the ability to use a bow. The possibilities are endless for this game :allears:

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

What gets me about Dragon's Dogma is that it has such obvious (and in some cases, really annoying) flaws, and that I've played probably half a dozen games in the last couple years that are overall more polished, but I've put more time into this game than anything else I've ever played. I've played probably three characters all the way through to the endgame (which is no small feat since it erases your previous save in the process), and I think I'll be rolling a new character tonight to bring into Dark Arisen tomorrow :3:

Also, random tidbit: I think every time I get to the climax of the Griffin fight, I've taken like a dozen screenshots on each of my characters. It's just one of those moments where storyline and setting and gameplay all coalesce beautifully. I don't know why more games haven't included easily-accessible screenshot options.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
Oh, I love the screenshots in this game. I've taken far too many. And it's true-this game definitely has flaws, but I'm the same-I've played this game probably more than any other that I have the past year it's been out. (Well, a year next month.) Even with the flaws it's just so much goddamn fun.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Azaael posted:

Oh, I love the screenshots in this game. I've taken far too many. And it's true-this game definitely has flaws, but I'm the same-I've played this game probably more than any other that I have the past year it's been out. (Well, a year next month.) Even with the flaws it's just so much goddamn fun.

The screenshot feature is nice but the quality of them is really bad, which I personally don't understand how that's even possible considering they're just .jpeg files.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Looks like the main Assassin augments (Bloodlust and Autonomy) were nerfed pretty badly in DA. Down from 70% bonus to 20% according to this source.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
To be honest, I loved my pawns so much I never much used Autonomy(once in a while I would for the lolz), though of course I used the hell out of Bloodlust. Ahh well-the way I see it is Assassins are powerful as poo poo anyway, and with great weapons-my dude was murderating everything in his path during the daytime with pawns running about in the background, so I'm not too worried about it. It's biggest drawbacks are going to mainly be for the Ur-dragon, IMO, especially the online one who must have more HP than stars in the sky at this point.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gyoru posted:

Looks like the main Assassin augments (Bloodlust and Autonomy) were nerfed pretty badly in DA. Down from 70% bonus to 20% according to this source.

Why. Why would they ever do this.

I really hope these changes won't be patched to vanilla Dragon's Dogma because I wanted to do another solo assassin run. I had so much fun when I tried solo assassin for most of the game awhile ago, but it needed those 70% buffs considering that you're working with one fourth the power by yourself, not to mention that you become the only thing for every enemy to attack when you're by yourself.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Why. Why would they ever do this.

I really hope these changes won't be patched to vanilla Dragon's Dogma because I wanted to do another solo assassin run. I had so much fun when I tried solo assassin for most of the game awhile ago, but it needed those 70% buffs considering that you're working with one fourth the power by yourself, not to mention that you become the only thing for every enemy to attack when you're by yourself.

I think it'd still be pretty easy without those as an Assassin because you can just use Invisibility. Also, Dual Daggers with a Shield is just absurd :v:

But yeah, I think the main idea is to play Mystic Knight with all those augments and then you use Great Cannon + Elemental enchantment and completely mop the floor with any of the game's bosses, and they were trying to curb that a little bit. Not that I ever did this myself though.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
Unless they nerf the online Ur-Dragon to go with this it is going to be a massive tank for at least a few generations. On the bright side I guess I might use pawns again.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Rollie the Guar posted:

Unless they nerf the online Ur-Dragon to go with this it is going to be a massive tank for at least a few generations. On the bright side I guess I might use pawns again.

Isn't the Ur-Dragon's defense just based on how many people are attacking it at once? If there are a lot of people on it then it will become a tank. If there are fewer it will become like papyrus.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
I admit, while I'm not too bothered by what they did(and I had forgotten about that insane Mystic Knight setup for it), I guess there is that part of me that never understood the point of nerfing a single player game(unless there is a literal like game-breaking bug where some ability oneshots everything or something of course, including end bosses and the Online Ur Dragon. I'm talking literal like crazy-bug.). I mean if someone wants to break the game open they'll just level a bunch and use top of the line gear, they're still OP as hell and even in Hard mode without Autonomy I pretty much roflstomped the entire thing and I wasn't even max level/playing at night the entire time taking advantage of Bloodlust.

Of course DD's challenge is probably one of it's flaws; the game has a sweet spot that the challenge seems about perfect but it's for a rather short period of time. Before that and bandits can oneshot you(one took off 1000 life from me on normal mode today on my alt game when I got hit from behind not noticing), after that and stuff gets pretty much obliterated by some of the combos. Now, this COULD be them attempting to quell the latter part a bit in terms of 'nerfing a single player game' but I can't help but think they're sorta locking the barn door after the horses have already been shot at this point. At best I think it's literally only going to have a really noticeable effect on the Ur-Dragon and not much else. Okay, maybe That Room.

Azaael fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 23, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lunethex posted:

Isn't the Ur-Dragon's defense just based on how many people are attacking it at once? If there are a lot of people on it then it will become a tank. If there are fewer it will become like papyrus.

It gets stronger each generation. And it's currently generation 227, so yeah. Not sure if it ever resets or something.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

RatHat posted:

It gets stronger each generation. And it's currently generation 227, so yeah. Not sure if it ever resets or something.

I used to glance at a few of the threads and I had heard sometimes how it was easier than the last gen and then it's hard again. I participated in the online version a grand total of once, with my MK, and I stood on the hill for the entirety of the battle with Holy Enchantment just great cannoning the dragon while it desperately tried to even hit my pawns who were all just jumping around and avoiding attacks. I never even saw a sliver of health drop off it and I quickly swore off the entire thing. Outside of online version I always beat it in one round.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Wait, what's this I hear about them taking out the awesome menu song? :mad:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

DrManiac posted:

Wait, what's this I hear about them taking out the awesome menu song? :mad:

Yeah title music for Dark Arisen is different now. I guess they thought everybody hated it and changed it. Although, depending on what you do at the menu (Character edit) the music does change so it could still be there.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lunethex posted:

I used to glance at a few of the threads and I had heard sometimes how it was easier than the last gen and then it's hard again. I participated in the online version a grand total of once, with my MK, and I stood on the hill for the entirety of the battle with Holy Enchantment just great cannoning the dragon while it desperately tried to even hit my pawns who were all just jumping around and avoiding attacks. I never even saw a sliver of health drop off it and I quickly swore off the entire thing. Outside of online version I always beat it in one round.

Yeah generally people just watch the thread on Gamefaqs and when the dragon dies go in immediately and fight it. If you go fight it within 10 minutes of it dying you'll get credit for it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RatHat posted:

Yeah generally people just watch the thread on Gamefaqs and when the dragon dies go in immediately and fight it. If you go fight it within 10 minutes of it dying you'll get credit for it.

Wasn't that changed awhile ago? I remember randomly checking the GameFAQs board for some reason once, and seeing the first few pages filled with threads fuming about how Capcom had betrayed its fanbase forever because the Ur-Dragon was screwed up or something.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh in that case, unless you want to spend all day fighting the thing over and over you should give up on ever getting the online rewards for killing him. Though I guess you could wait until it's at like 1-2% and go in and fight it over and over again. Unless it dies in the time between attempts you should get the rewards.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Wasn't that changed awhile ago? I remember randomly checking the GameFAQs board for some reason once, and seeing the first few pages filled with threads fuming about how Capcom had betrayed its fanbase forever because the Ur-Dragon was screwed up or something.

Wouldn't surprise me with how rampant the skeleton crew manning that board is about protecting their own interests.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How do pre-orders work on the PSN store? Do I still need to wait until the store update to download DA or will it be available on the pre-order page at midnight?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

RatHat posted:

How do pre-orders work on the PSN store? Do I still need to wait until the store update to download DA or will it be available on the pre-order page at midnight?

I don't think you can pre-order on the store you just have to wait until the update tomorrow, since PSN Updates every Tuesday (if you're in the U.S) and you should be able to download it, which is what I'm going to do.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

It's a 12GB~ download on PSN. You'll need 24GB~ free to install it due to how PSN downloads work. It's a midnight release so it will be available for download at 12:01 AM EST or 9:01 PM PST. You won't have to wait for the typical Tuesday PSN Store update.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Gyoru posted:

It's a 12GB~ download on PSN. You'll need 24GB~ free to install it due to how PSN downloads work. It's a midnight release so it will be available for download at 12:01 AM EST or 9:01 PM PST. You won't have to wait for the typical Tuesday PSN Store update.

Seriously? That makes the wait all the less painful now that I see how big this thing is, holy crap. But it will be worth it!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

OK. I haven't touched this game since I beat it once and then died to the Ur-Dragon thing a dozen times but I loved the weird gameplay peccadilloes and the pawn system and everything else so I'm gonna pick up Dark Arisen tomorrow.

Thing is I just checked into the game and am totally lost as to what to do next or what I was doing and everything else - you forget how overwhelming the game is at first blush. Does Dark Arisen just load the game from the same spot I left it in or can I start from the beginning while maintaining my character and pawn and rift crystals or whatever?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

epitasis posted:

OK. I haven't touched this game since I beat it once and then died to the Ur-Dragon thing a dozen times but I loved the weird gameplay peccadilloes and the pawn system and everything else so I'm gonna pick up Dark Arisen tomorrow.

Thing is I just checked into the game and am totally lost as to what to do next or what I was doing and everything else - you forget how overwhelming the game is at first blush. Does Dark Arisen just load the game from the same spot I left it in or can I start from the beginning while maintaining my character and pawn and rift crystals or whatever?

It's an expansion so it's not going to change anything that you don't want it to change. You can just go on as normal and go back to Cassardis whenever you want to access the new area.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I stopped playing this game after I beat Grigori the first time. Add me on PSN if you want a Warrior pawn: Haarvest

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Dark Arisen stream is up.

http://twitch.tv/gyoruspy

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Gyoru posted:

Are you sure this is the time it unlocks? I can only download the theme from preordering and not the game itself

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 23, 2013

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

That's what the store said when I bought it.

Rockbear
Sep 11, 2001

Milady, 'tis the clobbering hour.
The PSN store certainly said that it was the unlock time. Unfortunately, I can't download it either.

I wanted to start the huge-rear end download before I went to bed. :argh:

If we end up having to wait until the PSN update tonight I'm gonna be mighty pissed off.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

You're all way ahead of me I can't even do anything at the PSN store with it :smith:

No option to do anything but read the description and look at screenshots (one of which is Grigori's death and he turns to dust which is pretty funny and misleading).

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Yeah the buttons on the left side only have 'Overview' now where there used to be 2-3 other options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockbear
Sep 11, 2001

Milady, 'tis the clobbering hour.
Surely they won't make us wait another 24 hours to *start* downloading the game that they've been telling us we could get at 12:01 AM EST since the pre-order went up on the store forever ago.

:negative:

e: Normally it wouldn't bother me, except that I set aside tomorrow to spend all day playing this like a dumb nerd. I shouldn't have to make MMO-style "launch day" allowances for a PSN game.

e2: It's up and I'm a big dumb whiny baby. Get yer hot dark arisen action!

Rockbear fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 23, 2013

• Locked thread