Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Bitter_one13 posted:

The music was a nice touch, good job. Also, wouldn't you just have to shoot the AT Stabber twice as long if you didn't have two of them? It makes misses hurt that much more, but doubling up seems like the best course of action in spite of ammo consumption.

Yeah, it definitely is not a bad idea to double up if you have a steady supply chain of new ammo but if you are out and about it can mean a lot of backtracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Double stabbers is just so satisfying though. And if you pre-emptively get the armory to loft a reload your way, it helps a lot. Of course that depends on knowing the mission in advance, but I always equipped doubles. Faster I kill enemies the faster they stop shooting me and/or my base.

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009
Good to see this played, good to see people enjoyed it as much as I did. that one expansion that introduced that third faction can burn in hell, as it was purposefully difficult to the point of insanity. BZ2 was fun.

What is amazing about the game is the amount of freedom it gives. you can give any vehicle any weapon, and that included your mini-turrets. same goes for piloting, you can get in and fully use any craft, including turrets and scavengers.

I noted the Rave gun was mentioned in the first mission, but no one mentioned that you can get IN the lunar lander, which has rave guns as standard. At least that's what I recall.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Shadowed Bacon posted:

I noted the Rave gun was mentioned in the first mission, but no one mentioned that you can get IN the lunar lander, which has rave guns as standard. At least that's what I recall.

Looks like I will have something to test out myself and perhaps include in bonus video two when I get around to recording it. Also, I want to add that I once again apologize about the lack of update this week as real world blues have been taking their toll.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
loving Battlezone. :stare:

I played this game for months at a time, and it wasn't until some years ago I finally got to play its expansion too, Red Odyssey. This is a game that I think deserves to be LP'd and although I've only seen one episode I can tell you're someone who will do this game some justice. I really hope you'll get into a lot of things and there was a poster earlier who said that the Lunar Lander could be destroyed and a pilot has a chance of ejecting, there's all sorts of nice touches like that in the game.

It's just great when you take control of a satellite view and start commanding your forces, and are able to zoom in and actually SEE them as their actual models engaging the enemy, and more. It's so cool! I hope you'll show off the special side maps that they have which start you off with a base as I remember, lets you play around with base building and more. You can get in every vehicle and take on every task in the game too, you just have so much variety in how you want to handle your role as the commander. All of your wingmen have different things they say when they take out enemies too, so they didn't skimp on dialogue either.

Please continue to do this!

Also the music in this game has always been great, especially the main menu.

edit: If you head straight south from the base at Eagle's Nest 1 mission, you can find a random Soviet Barracks just sitting on top of a mountain at the edge of the map. Little touch for some reason. Also at Eagle's Nest 1, you could snipe one of the soviet guys from the get-go and move his vehicle next to the barracks and a pilot would jump out and occupy the vehicle and you've got a free wingman from the start! If you're fast, you can get both of them.

edit2: I hope you have another bonus video where you go back and destroy the CCA base in Mission 3, you get a really nice radio call from General Collins about that.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 17, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Battlezone (1) :allears:

Really up there with Sacrifice for my favourite pseudo-RTS at the late 90ies (the Myth games can come hang out too), and both were really ahead of their time (hell, still are).

The 3D minimap is cool as poo poo, as are the graphic design and just the right *feel*.

Too bad BZ2 threw all that out in favour of ORANGE and blah-story. Don't toss out goddamn space commies man :saddowns:

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Kitty Burger posted:

From where you saw me plant the armory and where I was located when setting up the recycler, it took about 1:15-1:30 for my second AT-Stabber to arrive. What makes it a bit worse is if you tell your supporting offensive units to get repairs or re-up on ammo, they will park their asses on the very spot they are on and wait for the supply drop. I imagine it is more useful than I am making it out to be but for that particular mission, it really wasn't as useful as I would have liked it to be.

What you need to do is have the armoury launch a whole bunch of ammo and repair items behind your turret line at the factory before any fighting starts. That way you and your guys can quickly resupply from the cache without jeopardising the line of defence. It's important in later missions as well when you're attacking giant well fortified enemy bases, if you launch a bunch of supply items at a rally point before commencing the attack you'll be able to keep up the pressure instead of having to haul rear end all the way across the map back to your own base when running low.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Kitty Burger posted:

From where you saw me plant the armory and where I was located when setting up the recycler, it took about 1:15-1:30 for my second AT-Stabber to arrive. What makes it a bit worse is if you tell your supporting offensive units to get repairs or re-up on ammo, they will park their asses on the very spot they are on and wait for the supply drop.

They also start spinning around like in Shyrka's avatar, coincidentally :v:

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 17, 2013

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Lunethex posted:

Please continue to do this!

You bet your rear end I will, so long as you keep up the good work on that RE6 LP of yours.

Lunethex posted:

They also start spinning around like in Shyrka's avatar, coincidentally :v:

I think I might just do a bonus video this week instead of trying to poo poo out a full mission. Who knows, I might be feeling saucy and do two to make up for what I have missed.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Even if you can't see it happening, it's good to know all the stuff you set up and order around can get the mission done without you.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Holy poo poo, Battlezone

I only got to play the N64 port with the black dogs or whatever the hell they were called, and didn't even know there was an expansion pack, but this game defined that console generation for me. It just did so many things right, and the aesthetic was awesome. Also Communist Hovertanks.

Definitely going to be keeping an eye on this, Kitty Burger.

Redysseus
Dec 13, 2011

Designing existence is hard.
All I can really say is drat. Looks like you beat me to the punch on the whole "Battlezone LP" thing, but after watching your videos, I'd say you're probably doing a better job of showing off the game than I ever could. Others in the thread, especially Lunethex, have already expressed how I feel about this quite well. Now on another note...

Yes Shadowed Bacon, the Lunar Lander is actually a multiplayer vehicle that makes generic sci-fi movie spacecraft noises and acts like a deployable turret with limited flight capabilities. As for using it in singleplayer, I would assume you'd have to stick it in a custom map. Also to bring up the Thumper weapon again, I can indeed confirm that it is actually one of the most valuable assets in the game when employed properly. You can leave groups of enemy vehicles suspended upside down for valuable seconds while you and your wingmen pummel away at their armor.

Lastly, (sorry to splurge), since I had planned an LP of this game myself and all I had was a 10 year old pirated copy of the game from my uncle, I looked long and hard and sent back many cheapskate resold copies until I got my hands on an original box set. Amazingly, it was still in the plastic, even after all these years. I had planned on scanning the awesomely rich manual and taking pictures of the box art for content purposes, but I suppose I could do it for this thread instead if you guys are interested.

Redysseus fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 27, 2013

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I'd like to heartily encourage MostlyHeroic here. The Battlezone manual is genius.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
In between getting my rear end creamed on the next mission, I discovered that several years and a deployment for a scanner was a bit too much. I was able to make one scan of the manual before the scanner died but I am already looking to source a new one. In the meantime, have this crap scan of the aforementioned awesome game manual for Battlezone.

Bitter_one13
Jan 2, 2012

God damn, you're worse than useless; you're actually harmful!
Dude, that manual looks DISTURBINGLY realistic. I find myself looking at old rear end Army documentation alarmingly frequently, and the game devs got the font and general spacing right.

Was the fraying just from years of you owning this game, or is that just a graphic effect on the manual cover itself?

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Bitter_one13 posted:

Dude, that manual looks DISTURBINGLY realistic. I find myself looking at old rear end Army documentation alarmingly frequently, and the game devs got the font and general spacing right.

Was the fraying just from years of you owning this game, or is that just a graphic effect on the manual cover itself?

Yeah, the idea of it being an actual field manual is incredibly well done. I mean it even has a drat publication number with a believable preface and everything. I wish I could say that it was actually all frayed and stapled together but it is just a graphic. Still looks a lot more awesome than 99% of other game manuals I have sitting around.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I'm guessing those yellow dots are an artefact of your scanner deciding it didn't want to scan anymore. I'm deprived and only have Battlezone in a jewel case, with the predictably-limited case sized insert manual. Although, now that I think of it, the manual is probably on the disk itself. Maybe?

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Teledahn posted:

I'm guessing those yellow dots are an artefact of your scanner deciding it didn't want to scan anymore. I'm deprived and only have Battlezone in a jewel case, with the predictably-limited case sized insert manual. Although, now that I think of it, the manual is probably on the disk itself. Maybe?

Yeah, it didn't want to scan properly and when I went to rescan it, the scanner just poo poo all over itself. I do feel bad that you have missed out on one of the cooler aspects of having a full box copy of a game. I even still have the quick reference guide for key bindings that I have been using quite a bit during this playthrough.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Hey Kittyburger! I don't have PMs so I thought I'd ask this in the thread itself.

Did you ever see Pandemic's storyline website for this game?

I ask this because there was a pretty awesome website they used to host depicting the background to the Battlezone games as a conspiracy rant. Supposedly penned by a hyperactive X-Files fan out to reveal the truth about his father. There's a nod to it in the Battlezone 2 manual. It's hard for me to go into detail about why it's so awesome without spoiling the main game, so I've stuck details under a tag below:

It had screenshots of factions - yes factions - that didn't make it into the final game, including a British "scout" and several Lunar Space Nazi units! The timeline for the first game explicitly included the NSDF fighting and crushing Space Nazi armies on the moon, with hints that the CCA had originally flown to Mars to finish off Nazis there as well. This explained why both sides had big bases in place. The only reference to these guys remaining in the full game is a note about the NSDF light tank being phased out after service in early lunar battles.

I've been hunting for this site in various archives for weeks, in the hope of triumphantly posting it here, but without luck. I'm hoping someone here might remember more details of the conspiracy dude who supposedly wrote it; that would make searching a lot easier.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Loxbourne posted:

Hey Kittyburger! I don't have PMs so I thought I'd ask this in the thread itself.

I ask this because there was a pretty awesome website they used to host depicting the background to the Battlezone games as a conspiracy rant. Supposedly penned by a hyperactive X-Files fan out to reveal the truth about his father. There's a nod to it in the Battlezone 2 manual. It's hard for me to go into detail about why it's so awesome without spoiling the main game, so I've stuck details under a tag below:

It had screenshots of factions - yes factions - that didn't make it into the final game, including a British "scout" and several Lunar Space Nazi units! The timeline for the first game explicitly included the NSDF fighting and crushing Space Nazi armies on the moon, with hints that the CCA had originally flown to Mars to finish off Nazis there as well. This explained why both sides had big bases in place. The only reference to these guys remaining in the full game is a note about the NSDF light tank being phased out after service in early lunar battles.

I've been hunting for this site in various archives for weeks, in the hope of triumphantly posting it here, but without luck. I'm hoping someone here might remember more details of the conspiracy dude who supposedly wrote it; that would make searching a lot easier.

That sounds pretty tight actually but sadly I never saw that. I would definitely love to see anything that came out of it.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The only thing I've been able to find is this thread on the BzScrap forums. That has some background and screenshots.

The post with the screenshots is material from the old site; everything else seems to be from the poster's personal fanfics.

Redysseus
Dec 13, 2011

Loxbourne posted:

I ask this because there was a pretty awesome website they used to host depicting the background to the Battlezone games as a conspiracy rant.

Oh man, I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about, that website had a really strong "conspiracy loon" vibe to it. Fortunately, while writing this post, I did some researching and was able to find an archived version of Pandemic's now dead website, including the story I think you are referring to.

You can find it here, albeit somewhat Frankensteinish looking with that topbar and the obviously outdated webcode designed for computer screens running at 800x600 resolutions. At this moment in time I am only able to skim the story, but to my recollection it is spoiler free, and simply refers to some background story surrounding the German's attempts at space travel.

Oh man, and I just noticed you can go back to the old BZ2 section of Pandemic's website through this archive explorer. The same website I discovered when I was 10, and excitedly attempted to download the 1.2 patch from, thinking it was the full game. Ah, to be young.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Is that the story where the guy recalls how as a child his grandfather showed him a piece of biometal (that then got stolen by spooks)? That was good.

Bitter_one13
Jan 2, 2012

I actually plugged this LP on my own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XviVVV2vSM&t=875s

I would have told you this over PM, but you don't have it :argh:

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Bitter_one13 posted:

I actually plugged this LP on my own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XviVVV2vSM&t=875s

I would have told you this over PM, but you don't have it :argh:

I'm not cool enough yet to have those fancy PM things but thanks a bunch for plugging my LP. However, curse you for giving me another one to follow :argh:

Bitter_one13
Jan 2, 2012

Kitty Burger posted:

I'm not cool enough yet to have those fancy PM things but thanks a bunch for plugging my LP. However, curse you for giving me another one to follow :argh:

If you do follow it, I hope you have an intense hatred for the following:
Not having motion sickness
Bland colors
Not having anime tropes in your game
Just sanity in general

Bitter_one13 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 23, 2013

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Bitter_one13 posted:

If you do follow it, I hope you have an intense hatred for the following:
Not having motion sickness
Bland colors
Not having anime tropes in your game
Just sanity in general

Indeed, I do have a hatred for all of those things. I shall enjoy purging the lack of those things from my life. In the meantime:

:siren: :siren:

I'm going to see about updating the OP with some screencaps of the vehicles we have seen from the NSDF forces as well as their statistics this week, so you also have that to look forward to.

Bitter_one13
Jan 2, 2012

How does one correct for windage on a planet with no atmostphere?

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Bitter_one13 posted:

How does one correct for windage on a planet with no atmostphere?

Mars has an atmosphere, just not one we can breath. :science:

Redysseus
Dec 13, 2011

Holy mother of... after all these years, I never realized that the shadows cast by the cliffs and structures would obstruct solar panel arrays. All my previously inexplicable construction woes suddenly make sense. Ken Miller (or perhaps Brad Pickering?) you clever bastard, that's some amazing attention to detail, especially for a game in 1998.

On another note (get used to that phrase), would you mind if I show off the ridiculously convoluted method of properly assaulting the base in Mission 5, as well as the facepalmy "oh my god why didn't I just do that in the first place" method of infiltrating the base with a vehicle? The second one might be spoil some game mechanics so I can hold off.

Still, without the knowledge of the second method, I don't see how anybody (especially me, playing this game when I was 10) could have the strategic and tactical prowess to actually complete this mission the "proper" way without having actually beaten it first. In fact, despite the immense walking times caused by cheesing the mission, it's actually much faster to do it this way. If you were to try and push into the base it'd take you well over an hour to complete the mission.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

MostlyHeroic posted:

Holy mother of... after all these years, I never realized that the shadows cast by the cliffs and structures would obstruct solar panel arrays. All my previously inexplicable construction woes suddenly make sense. Ken Miller (or perhaps Brad Pickering?) you clever bastard, that's some amazing attention to detail, especially for a game in 1998.

On another note (get used to that phrase), would you mind if I show off the ridiculously convoluted method of properly assaulting the base in Mission 5, as well as the facepalmy "oh my god why didn't I just do that in the first place" method of infiltrating the base with a vehicle? The second one might be spoil some game mechanics so I can hold off.

Still, without the knowledge of the second method, I don't see how anybody (especially me, playing this game when I was 10) could have the strategic and tactical prowess to actually complete this mission the "proper" way without having actually beaten it first. In fact, despite the immense walking times caused by cheesing the mission, it's actually much faster to do it this way. If you were to try and push into the base it'd take you well over an hour to complete the mission.

I took a Razor Scout with Grizzly cover and ordered them to attack the power supply for those Soviet towers while covering my retreat. On the way back I would tell the Recycler and all my stuff to pack up and be waiting for me at the nav point and it felt pretty dramatic! I think I sometimes built a Satellite Array and ordered a few turrets for good measure to cover the valley just in case.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
The way to complete this mission while saving the 5th is by building one Solar Power Plant at the entrance of the canyon and two Gun Towers (near the dustoff location), build another SPP and a couple of Gun Towers defending the West side of the Recycler (the field with the Haephestus) and then grab a Scout, race past all the soviet defenses and eject in the small canyon next to the one with the Space Port. Then you just hijack a vehicle like you did in the video and tell the Recycler to move to the dustoff location, which will be protected by the gun towers.
The trick is that you need quite a few Scavengers to get the necessary resources fast enough.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Kitty Burger posted:

Mars has an atmosphere, just not one we can breath. :science:

It's also thin enough that it'd make propelled or unpowered flight exceedingly difficult, but there most definitely is wind, and associated cyclones and dust storms.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

MostlyHeroic posted:

The shadows thing actually threw me off at first as well. Once I figured it out though, it all made sense. I am definitely interested in seeing or hearing how other people go about these missions as I am by no means an expert at this game and do expect even the newest of players to hand me my rear end on a platter in multiplayer.

Lunethex posted:

I took a Razor Scout with Grizzly cover and ordered them to attack the power supply for those Soviet towers while covering my retreat. On the way back I would tell the Recycler and all my stuff to pack up and be waiting for me at the nav point and it felt pretty dramatic! I think I sometimes built a Satellite Array and ordered a few turrets for good measure to cover the valley just in case.

That is the sort of thing I am talking about. That is a really simple way to accomplish the goals of each mission in this game but it is awesome how varied each player can get through it all. Part of my problem is that I just love rolling around with an army of vehicles in tow and like to brute force things. For time sensitive missions though, that usually doesn't do me too well.

To be fair though, as dumb as it may seem, I really liked playing through the objective in this mission as a weak body. If I did live commentary, I would have happily added in a few death scenes. In the playthrough prior to the one I used for the video, I was advancing back over the ridges and fell down the side like a dumbass as the Soviet force was coming through the canyon. The whole time I was doing my best martian rock impression, chanting "Don't see me, don't see me." The ruse worked until the last Czar tank passed. He saw me. :saddowns:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how the terrain slope isn't much of a prohibitive factor for getting around on foot.

Or by vehicle.

Hated that about the first Mass Effect.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Glazius posted:

I like how the terrain slope isn't much of a prohibitive factor for getting around on foot.

Or by vehicle.

Hated that about the first Mass Effect.

How was the terrain ever a real obstacle for the Mako?
...As long as it didn't constantly tumble around and fly off in the opposite direction, I mean. :D

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
The terrain isn't so bad for getting around on foot. It's just the issue of being so squishy, having limited ammo, and being so much slower. As I mentioned a bit back, I did actually update the OP with a listing of the vehicles we have already encountered in the game. Most of them have screencaps to go with the slight blurbs I wrote, save for a few that I blundered and missed getting shots of. As the LP progresses, I'll be adding new vehicles and structures to the OP as well as in update posts.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kitty Burger posted:

The terrain isn't so bad for getting around on foot. It's just the issue of being so squishy, having limited ammo, and being so much slower.

I think this is a good time to remember that your ai allies can and will run you over if you run around on foot in your own freakin' base.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Yeah. Junping out of your vehicle to get into the buildings is an art in itself. Then the fuckers steal your tank >: (

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitter_one13
Jan 2, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

Yeah. Junping out of your vehicle to get into the buildings is an art in itself. Then the fuckers steal your tank >: (

The term is appropriate. There is no stealing in the military.

• Locked thread