Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

micnato posted:

I am so pissed off at my Hario Mini Mill. I bought it because it was recommended in the OP, then immediately after I purchased it I read all the problems people were having with them in the thread. When I look at the bottom, I can see how crookedly the grindy parts come together. I've experimented with adding different washers and springs and poo poo, but I still get both powder and huge chunks of bean in every grind. I should have just stuck with my freaking $10 wal-mart blade grinder.

So. What is a manual grinder that actually works?

The correct answer was to not buy the manual grinder at all and jump up to a Capresso Infinity for $80. The only reason I'd ever want a manual grinder was for taking with me on the road for pourover. For home use I don't see the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
I use a hand grinder because gently caress taking up counter-top space and an electric socket for something that gets used for 2 minutes a day.

Try a Hario Skereton, the finest grind setting produces pretty uniform particles, fine for pour-over/Aeropress. I don't do expresso at home but my friend got a good enough shot out of my grind to satisfy anyone who isn't a megasperg.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The skerton has the same problems as the mini mill.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Archer2338 posted:

For those of you roasting with a Popper, how bad is the smoke? I live in an apartment/dorm (depending on time of the year) and so while I would love to roast my own coffee, the smoke is probably a problem. Back home, I have a kitchen hood, but no real place outside to roast.

As someone mentioned earlier, it's not smoke but smell. Also, your beans will be spitting out chaff like it's crazy. The smell is so potent that I had even cooled them off, brought them in and someone (a guest who didn't know what I was doing) asked "What's burning."

That having been said I just ran a cord outside and did it there, both in my apartment and when I was visiting parents. In ~30 minutes TOTAL (cleanup and storage). You can have coffee for a week. Totally worth it. I since moved to another country that doesn't support the plug type. It's not the same.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
^^^^Ah. I guess I might have to check if I can run something outside then. My neighbors might not like smoke though, I fear.

Also, I just managed to see the Kalita wave video posted last page. To goons that use both the hario and the wave: I suppose the wave really helps with controlling drain time & it has a cool shape. Is the coffee any better than what you've tasted with a hario?

Cold brew recipes, anyone? I remember some goon a while back posted a 1/3 coffee/water ratio with 24 hours of steep time? Is that still good/is my memory correct? Are there any more accurate (by weight? I am terrible with eyeballing volume) methods?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Archer2338 posted:

Cold brew recipes, anyone? I remember some goon a while back posted a 1/3 coffee/water ratio with 24 hours of steep time? Is that still good/is my memory correct? Are there any more accurate (by weight? I am terrible with eyeballing volume) methods?

Cold brew is super forgiving and it really depends on how concentrated you want it. It's pretty hard to get wrong though. 1/3 (by volume) coffee to water is a good place to start though. I just leave mine overnight, personally. Why are you eyeballing volume though, do you not own measuring cups?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I heard this morning on NPR. They are dedicating a week talking about coffee.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
Everyone is talking about cold brew coffee in this thread since the spring is here, so I figured I'd ask a couple questions. All the responses seem to be "it's really forgiving, hard to mess up, 1/3 coffee to water" but last summer every time I tried to make it I always hated it. I used the Bodum Bean iced french press and experimented with different amounts of coffee and water, as well as grind size and steep time. I never seemed to get it right, it always seemed to come out bitter and off tasting, even when I treated it as a concentrate, or if I added truvia and half and half.

Part of the problem was low quality beans, but I couldn't justify the price of using fresh roasted premium beans due to how expensive it would be given the amount of coffee you need to use. I've found some more affordable locally roasted beans that I'll be able to get fresh now and I think will make a difference, but does anyone have any better guidelines as far as grams of coffee to grams of water? I guess using the better beans will be the first step, but any other tips would be helpful.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

nosleep posted:

Everyone is talking about cold brew coffee in this thread since the spring is here, so I figured I'd ask a couple questions.

I hated cold brew last year too. Did you dilute it enough when you went to drink it? I suspect that was my problem, I barely diluted the concentrate at all.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

nosleep posted:

Everyone is talking about cold brew coffee in this thread since the spring is here, so I figured I'd ask a couple questions. All the responses seem to be "it's really forgiving, hard to mess up, 1/3 coffee to water" but last summer every time I tried to make it I always hated it. I used the Bodum Bean iced french press and experimented with different amounts of coffee and water, as well as grind size and steep time. I never seemed to get it right, it always seemed to come out bitter and off tasting, even when I treated it as a concentrate, or if I added truvia and half and half.

Part of the problem was low quality beans, but I couldn't justify the price of using fresh roasted premium beans due to how expensive it would be given the amount of coffee you need to use. I've found some more affordable locally roasted beans that I'll be able to get fresh now and I think will make a difference, but does anyone have any better guidelines as far as grams of coffee to grams of water? I guess using the better beans will be the first step, but any other tips would be helpful.

Generally speaking, cold brew is supposed to be the best way to use up old or not as good beans because it is so forgiving. That said, I don't have it down yet so what do I know :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Here's how I've been doing it.

42grams of coffee
300 grams of water
300 grams ice

Put the ice in the Chemex and then just brew the the coffee with the water. I use really fresh roasted beans though, usually less than 3-4 days old. Don't need any milk or anything, it's already very sweet and fragrant.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Mu Zeta posted:

Here's how I've been doing it.

42grams of coffee
300 grams of water
300 grams ice

Put the ice in the Chemex and then just brew the the coffee with the water. I use really fresh roasted beans though, usually less than 3-4 days old. Don't need any milk or anything, it's already very sweet and fragrant.

So you use hot water, then just chill it down with the ice?
I mean, I suppose I could use the hot->ice method for basically any brewing gear (aeropress, whatever) by just upping the coffee-water ratio and making it stronger. I sort of would like a concentrate that I can store, though (edit: in the fridge for a day or two).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes. If you do it this way it's ready to drink right away. It only takes 4-5 minutes of work.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
So any of you espresso junkies in here used a VST basket yet? I am a mouse-click from ordering one, but something's keeping me from doing it. I've read the various coffee forum threads about it, but I dunno.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Alleric posted:

So any of you espresso junkies in here used a VST basket yet? I am a mouse-click from ordering one, but something's keeping me from doing it. I've read the various coffee forum threads about it, but I dunno.

I so almost bought the triple and double ridgeless last night.

Went for the espresso parts HQ baskets instead (really just want a triple basket), $16 instead of $66...can't argue with that. The 22g standard basket is $20 right now instead of $29, although I wanted the ridgeless.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

MrEnigma posted:

I so almost bought the triple and double ridgeless last night.

Went for the espresso parts HQ baskets instead (really just want a triple basket), $16 instead of $66...can't argue with that. The 22g standard basket is $20 right now instead of $29, although I wanted the ridgeless.

I'm going to stick with a 15g or 18g if I do it. Even if I were to go to a bottomless portafilter, which I'm not at the moment, that's more in the range of what I pull in the morning.

Hrm... now you've got me looking at the much cheaper espressoparts option. :)

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Alleric posted:

I'm curious to try it, but they don't make a 49mm version and don't appear to have any plans to do so.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

Alleric posted:

I have the 17G one for my Gaggia classic and its been phenomenally brilliant. I can't really be objective though because the only other basket I've had was the pressurised one that comes with it.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Seconding asking for review comparisons of the Hario V60 vs the Kalita Wave. Im not gonna lie, the Kalita Wave just looks cooler. Is the flat-bottom really that better for even extraction?

Anyways, I want to try to rejig my Pourover technique with the V60. Im using the plastic V60, with an Encore grinder, and the Hario filters, and the Bonavita gooseneck kettle (not temp controlled unfortunately). Right now, my general "technique" and ratios are 53g of coffee per litre.

Also honestly the biggest reason I use this ratio is 1.)It makes a decent cup, and 2.)gently caress every other stupid ratio thats like 15g per 100ml or whatever, because the easiest thing in the world to convert for different cup sizes without having to do goddamn ratio mathematics is per 1000ml, because then all you have to do is find the percentage of the grams you're doing based on the size. Pouring 750ml, well thats 75% of 53g, easy, done. Anyways, end rant.

Now, what I do is I bring my water to a boil, and usually right after boil I use that time to grind my coffee on Encore's setting 12 (for comparison, my frenchpress setting is 27) and prewet the filter and preheat the vessel. Then, I put the grinds in, wet the grounds just enough, and then wait about 30seconds. After that, I do a continuous pour unless its something like 750ml of coffee (then I have to do stages so I dont spill water everywhere). Usually brew time is around 2:30.

I feel like Im getting a decent cup but I want to experiment with different things. What should I be changing up to do so? Grind setting? Staged pours? Longer bloom/wetting phase?

Also, should the amount of water I put in for the wetting/blooming phase be in some sort of proportion to the grinds (for example,t hat Kalita video suggested x2 amount of water to grounds), or just enough to have it wet? Is 30seconds a good time, or too short?

Altogether seperate questions, best camping setup for coffee? Im thinking of investing in the Hario mill and Aeropress. My biggest concerns are size and weight obviously, then cup of coffee second. What about a Jetboil and its coffee press attachment? Anyone use that before?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Alleric posted:

Yes. Worth it. Using an 18g one with my Quick Mill Anita. Distribution of the shot as seen from my bottomless portafilter improved significantly compared to the generic basket it came with.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

dema posted:

Yes. Worth it. Using an 18g one with my Quick Mill Anita. Distribution of the shot as seen from my bottomless portafilter improved significantly compared to the generic basket it came with.

Hrm... going to put it back on my consideration list then, but the cost comparison between the espressoparts item and the VST are kind of insane. Not saying it's not necessarily worh it, but the espressoparts price point might allow me to just try them first, see what I see.

ToG posted:

I have the 17G one for my Gaggia classic and its been phenomenally brilliant. I can't really be objective though because the only other basket I've had was the pressurised one that comes with it.

How old is your classic? My Pure came with both a pressurized and non-pressurized double.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I'm looking to get an electric drip machine so I don't have to make a ton of coffee by hand with my aeropress when people come over to my house. I'm debating between a Technivorm and Bonavita. Other than the obvious price difference how is one better than the other? Also what is a good permanent filter to use for either of them?

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

Alleric posted:

How old is your classic? My Pure came with both a pressurized and non-pressurized double.

Brand spanking new (sort of). My fiancee picked it up for me for just over £90 on Amazons warehouse deals last month. The box was smashed and there's a tiny dent at the back of it (like 1mm X 1mm). It came with only two pressurised baskets, the single and the double. I don't have a decent grinder yet so I'm relying on preground sadly but that said Taylors do a for espresso machine only preground that extracts wonderfully.

ToG fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 25, 2013

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

ded posted:

I'm looking to get an electric drip machine so I don't have to make a ton of coffee by hand with my aeropress when people come over to my house. I'm debating between a Technivorm and Bonavita. Other than the obvious price difference how is one better than the other? Also what is a good permanent filter to use for either of them?

Bonavita + Kone + Chemex is a pretty great combo. It's what I use whenever I have to make coffee for a bunch of people.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

nosleep posted:

I got so frustratred with cold brew the other month I went full out Mythbusters on it:

They all tasted pretty much the same - i.e. bitter and sad and terrible.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Did you make them explode? Because otherwise its not full on myth busters.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

grahm posted:

Bonavita + Kone + Chemex is a pretty great combo. It's what I use whenever I have to make coffee for a bunch of people.

http://www.amazon.com/ABLE-KONE-COFFEE-FILTER-GENERATION/dp/B009TCOP38/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366879294&sr=8-1&keywords=Kone

This? 60 bucks. Ouch.

Here I am saying ouch to 60 bucks when considering dropping 300 on a brewer.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

grahm posted:

How much sediment do you get through a Kone?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Much less than a french press but there is still some. You won't be drinking the last couple sips in the cup.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

ToG posted:

Brand spanking new (sort of). My fiancee picked it up for me for just over £90 on Amazons warehouse deals last month. The box was smashed and there's a tiny dent at the back of it (like 1mm X 1mm). It came with only two pressurised baskets, the single and the double. I don't have a decent grinder yet so I'm relying on preground sadly but that said Taylors do a for espresso machine only preground that extracts wonderfully.

Nice deal on that. :)

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Where is a good place to look for these sorts of deals? I got myself a nice refurb Baratza Virtuso thanks to the tips in this thread, and I would love more of the same kind so that I can "save" money on awesome coffee gear.

I need an espresso machine. :( No, not really. But it would be awesome

Also, I am not sure if it was this thread that got me into buying the Espro Press, but I've been using it for a while, and it's pretty great. Great bodied cup without the sediment (hell, more-or-less equal to my aeropress sediment with the paper filter.)

VVVV Well, I know I'm not going to actually save money; this is a hobby :) I put "save" (with quotes) because I would prefer to get discounted machines if I can, but I'm not really expecting to save actual money by getting an espresso machine.

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 26, 2013

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
The best way to save money is to NOT go to a Third Wave Coffee shop and spend $6 on a siphon or whatever on a regular basis.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

How much sediment do you get through a Kone?

A lot of it depends on your pouring technique and your grinder. Using it with the Bonavita coffee maker and a Virtuoso, there aren't too many fines. That's because the Virtuoso is a great grinder, and the Bonavita does a very controlled, slow drip -- and because I let the fines settle at the bottom of the Chemex before I pour my cup. If you use a bad grinder and slam water into the coffee bed, you'll see a lot more fines.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
So... week after next I'll be in Seattle all week. Mostly downtown with some side trips at night and at the end of the week to see family and friends. I'm already planning my walk(s) down to Fonte, and have spied Victrola near where I'll be, but any other suggestions of good roasters/coffe shops downtown?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Alleric posted:

So... week after next I'll be in Seattle all week. Mostly downtown with some side trips at night and at the end of the week to see family and friends. I'm already planning my walk(s) down to Fonte, and have spied Victrola near where I'll be, but any other suggestions of good roasters/coffe shops downtown?

Hey, I just did this last month!

I went to victrola, SCW, Stumptown, and Trabant.

Victrola had the best cap.
Trabant had the best coffee with the clover.

Victrola and Stumptown are more in Capitol hill than Downtown.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Alleric posted:

I think myself and another mentioned Milstead & Co recently. They don't roast, but they brew coffee from top roasters. You'll get a really good cup there. It's in Fremont, and you can find other nice non-coffee places in that area.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When did parklets become a thing and why are there so many of them

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mu Zeta posted:

When did parklets become a thing and why are there so many of them

San Francisco and I don't know how this relates to coffee (Hipsters?)?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Every coffee place i go to seems to have one

And a wall of parked bicycles. I feel like I'm in a Portlandia sketch sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

dema posted:

How forgiving is it? If you or your coffee is having an off-day you're still happy with your shots?

Coffee snobs definitely recommend the VST but with the caveat that it is more unforgiving. I've seen the Synesso baskets recommended for people wanting a bit of an easier time to get better cups with worse technique or poor equipment. Can't call a quickmill poor equipment tho, ha!