Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Lotish posted:

Oh snap. I wonder if using other special abilities could work too?

Whacking them with warrior weapons works as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So basically there's no reason at all for your character to carry a pickaxe? It'd still be useful for a pawn though, since I doubt they'd whack the nodes themselves.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

RatHat posted:

So basically there's no reason at all for your character to carry a pickaxe? It'd still be useful for a pawn though, since I doubt they'd whack the nodes themselves.

E: Whoops I think you meant that they would whack the nodes with their weapons. They don't do this but I think it only works with the big two handed weapons and not the smaller sized fighter/strider weapons. Although you should always leave a pickaxe on your pawn since they'll mine on their own.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
No I mean they wouldn't mine a node without a pickaxe.

Moxieclock1
Apr 3, 2010
Where do you train the new skill tiers at?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Tyskil posted:

Cool poo poo I've learned about Dragons Dogma today: You can actually throw exploding barrels at the mining points to make all the ore pop out at once.

You can also do this by casting comestion at them proving wizards are the best.

Wow I wonder how much other little poo poo like this is hidden in the game?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Valatar posted:

I haven't delved very far into Bitterblack, since my magick archer's only 55, but thus far all of the items found have been fairly crap. Has anyone found any items that were fantastic without having to arm-wrestle dragons to get it? I haven't finished the main storyline quest yet and was hoping that I could nip into the dungeon, find some decent upgrades, then run back to finish the main quest and have them dragonforged in the process.
The really good stuff definitely seems to be easier to get in the later parts of the dungeon. If you've been picking up some of the cursed items, you can note how they've got a low level. I think the level ranges from 1-3, where 3 is the best. I've definitely been picking up a good selection of equipment. I've gotten a better magic bow, a hood that apparently buffs damage when multiple enemies spot you, and some other good armor pieces for my Warrior pawn.

Moxieclock1 posted:

You pick up cursed items throughout Bitterback. When you purify them, they can be rings, like Mystic Knight Band, or Staff Bearer's Ring. In the description. they'll describe how they modify/buff certain skills (I think something like 2 skills per ring). Apparently equipping those rings is the way you access them. I haven't really tried any out since I haven't gotten any rings that buff skills I actually use, though.

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot
Started a new character on hard mode. Holy poo poo it's like playing a more open world Dark Souls. Yea it feels a bit :effort:, but its still entirely playable. I just had a battle with a group of saurians and a Chimera, and it was the most intense battle I've experienced yet in this game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Moxieclock1 posted:

And to train the secret augments, purify the cursed items you find and sometimes one of them will be a scroll for the augment. It is then automatically added to your skills so you can train it. I have found 6 and only 2 of them seem to be any good.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Wooph posted:

Started a new character on hard mode. Holy poo poo it's like playing a more open world Dark Souls. Yea it feels a bit :effort:, but its still entirely playable. I just had a battle with a group of saurians and a Chimera, and it was the most intense battle I've experienced yet in this game.

Hard mode in Dark Arisen is now balanced to be appropriate for NG+ characters, from what I've seen. Starting absolutely naked on Hard is going to be pretty painful.

Daaku Shinsei
Feb 26, 2003

Great. I just got Dark Arisen for PS3, and am starting the game for the first time. Except it totally has no sound. Well, no, it had sound during the Chimera fight, then it went in and out, then totally out. It also fuzzes up the screen. I can't figure out what the problem is. Exiting the game, the PS3 has sound, and looks fine, so wtf.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Something about this game's music, ambient noises, and voice acting is just so relaxing especially early on. I can't quite put my finger on it but it's a really unique feel that I don't think I've experienced outside of European RPGs like Gothic.

I think this was addressed a few pages back but I can't seem to find it right now. Is there a list of missable quests and when I need to do them by? I know what most of the quests are but i can't quite remember when I have to start certain quests, and probably more importantly I don't know when a lot of them are actually unlocked.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Daaku Shinsei posted:

Great. I just got Dark Arisen for PS3, and am starting the game for the first time. Except it totally has no sound. Well, no, it had sound during the Chimera fight, then it went in and out, then totally out. It also fuzzes up the screen. I can't figure out what the problem is. Exiting the game, the PS3 has sound, and looks fine, so wtf.

As I was reading that I was thinking "PS3 problem" but that's just bizarre. Have you tried playing again? Are you on HDMI or other cables? Sometimes when I set up to record from PS3 I have video issues that need to be finagled with the Composite.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Undocumented Dark Arisen change: Pawns can use special arrows in their inventory now. They will also intelligently use Periapts to self-buff during more difficult encounters.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Gyoru posted:

Undocumented Dark Arisen change: Pawns can use special arrows in their inventory now. They will also intelligently use Periapts to self-buff during more difficult encounters.

Yes I was noticing they were wasting all the Salomet's secret etc stuff that I make them carry around.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

So what's the deal during the cutscene when you kill the dragon? My character's face was some sort of male default instead of his actual face. Some kind of error?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Has anyone found the new port crystals that DA added? I was looking around witchwood and could not find it at all.

Daaku Shinsei
Feb 26, 2003

Lunethex posted:

As I was reading that I was thinking "PS3 problem" but that's just bizarre. Have you tried playing again? Are you on HDMI or other cables? Sometimes when I set up to record from PS3 I have video issues that need to be finagled with the Composite.

HDMI straight to my TV. Not tried it again, yet, but I did a quick google, and it seems a common problem to PS3 AND 360, from DD's launch. So... Yeah. Not enthusiastic, here.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Daaku Shinsei posted:

HDMI straight to my TV. Not tried it again, yet, but I did a quick google, and it seems a common problem to PS3 AND 360, from DD's launch. So... Yeah. Not enthusiastic, here.

Come to think of it I was having that same issue before, then I cleaned the disc and it worked out again. I was playing for a while and none of the dialogue was loading and the game would freeze at loading and take way too long. Try running the disc under water and dry it religiously, and if that doesn't work you might have a bad disc on your hands.

pickett
Mar 9, 2009
So I decided to try out the demo, but was disappointed I could only do two quests because I really wanted to try out some exploring. As someone who loves exploration and rpg like games, should I pick this up? I love the concept of it, but right now I'm not really sure if its worth my money with so many other games like it. Can I get the original game and expansion off the psn store?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

pickett posted:

So I decided to try out the demo, but was disappointed I could only do two quests because I really wanted to try out some exploring. As someone who loves exploration and rpg like games, should I pick this up? I love the concept of it, but right now I'm not really sure if its worth my money with so many other games like it. Can I get the original game and expansion off the psn store?

If you get Dark Arisen you'll have everything, since Dark Arisen is both the new Bitterblack Isle (And all of its items) as well as the full main game with a lot of extras added on, plus all the new monsters appear in the main game areas now too.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I got the disk of DA last night for my PS3 and at three different points in the game it froze for a second in the middle of combats, each time freaking me out thinking the game had locked. I'm considering taking the disk back and getting the PSN version to ensure that the entire game's installed to the drive; I'm thinking the disk access time isn't helping the game's performance.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rascyc posted:

Has anyone found the new port crystals that DA added? I was looking around witchwood and could not find it at all.

Yeah I was wondering about this too. Maybe it's in the area of Witchwood that's unlocked later?

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Rascyc posted:

I found one in the everfall right after getting to Gran Soren. That little bowl thingy at the bottom you have to search to start the escape sequence had one just sitting it it. Not sure what hapens to it if you are already in the post-game though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pickett posted:

The open world is a joke, the best thing about the game is the combat. The plot gets pretty insane at the end but until the dragon it's nothing to write home about. I think it's worth playing, but if you want an interesting open world with a lot of things to do this is not your game.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

So all the DLC that's on the Xbox marketplace is included in Dark Arisen right? All the dumb quests and equipment pieces? The only difference is if you've purchased them before then you get free ones in your storage, is this correct?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

epitasis posted:

So all the DLC that's on the Xbox marketplace is included in Dark Arisen right? All the dumb quests and equipment pieces? The only difference is if you've purchased them before then you get free ones in your storage, is this correct?

I don't know about the last part but yes you'll have access to everything.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

pickett posted:

The world is not 100% open (in order to reach some places you will need to go through others) but it is packed with little hidden places to find loot. Basically people are half and half on weather they like the world or hate it. If you want something more like Skyrim where it will randomly generate you an "encounter" on the road by rolling on a table, you won't find that here. DD's exploration is more about "hey, if I climb up here and go around behind this there is a hidden treasure chest."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Also, "Hey I wonder if there's anything cool near that beach on the map." (wanders into a fight with a golem, a cyclops and a manticore, then loots a skirt out of some trash washed up on the shore)

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Rascyc posted:

I found one at the bottom of the everfall(during the quest where you go downwards) and in the side cave over at hillfigure knoll.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Tyskil posted:

The world is not 100% open (in order to reach some places you will need to go through others) but it is packed with little hidden places to find loot. Basically people are half and half on weather they like the world or hate it. If you want something more like Skyrim where it will randomly generate you an "encounter" on the road by rolling on a table, you won't find that here. DD's exploration is more about "hey, if I climb up here and go around behind this there is a hidden treasure chest."

It really has much more in common with old-school open-world CRPGs back in the day than modern sandbox design. Even the plot feels a bit like one of the old Gold Box D&D games, with you given a fairly rough main arc to follow if you want, but a lot of opportunity to just gently caress off in search of loot and monsters.

While there might be some Skyrim or Dark Souls in the design, I think the heart of it is far more retro than that.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

It's honestly just a charming game to play, and the customization is all there: it lets you feel like a hero and be the hero you want to be with little drawback. It's a unique, distinctive title that does have plenty of drawbacks but I would like to think maybe Capcom was just experimenting with this one. It stands out as one of the more interesting titles and I can't think of any other game that handles Archery as well. The multitude of classes and all the detail in the skills really shows how dedicated the designer was, and I personally do hope that there is a sequel, one that gets all the treatment that someone imagined for this one.

Most of the care went into the interaction, how you fight, how you handle the world, while story elements were lackluster every step of the way, but they did lay a lot of groundwork, they had a lot of stuff here that suggests they could break out with an even bigger game in the Dogma-verse. (The talk of the mainland, the neighboring countries to Gransys, it's just all there. This could be Japan's answer to The Witcher).

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Lunethex posted:

(The talk of the mainland, the neighboring countries to Gransys, it's just all there. This could be Japan's answer to The Witcher).

Yeah, for all its flaws it's a pretty dang unique title and no other game really gives me the same sort of feelings. It's kinda crazy to just be hanging out, walking around the world taking in the sights, then holy poo poo a griffin just attacked you and all of a sudden you're in an epic minutes-long fight for your life. Then you kill it with your pawns and it feels awesome even though you really didn't get that much from it, and hey that random pawn you let tag along is actually pretty cool.

I think it's more Japan's answer to Skyrim. It's not be as detailed, but the world is similar, and the combat and companion systems are way better. It evokes a lot of the same feelings, except the game doesn't suck when some action happens.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
So none of the costume DLC I bought for regular Dragon's Dogma transfers over to Dark Arisen? I'm talking about stuff like Mercedes' Captain Armor.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Eddain posted:

So none of the costume DLC I bought for regular Dragon's Dogma transfers over to Dark Arisen? I'm talking about stuff like Mercedes' Captain Armor.

It will be there, you can get it from Mountebank I believe. He sells all the DLC stuff.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The story had one thing that set it head and shoulders over most RPGs: no destiny horseshit. You make poo poo happen because you chose to.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Eddain posted:

To answer this and my own question, yeah you don't get free copies in your storage on a new character anymore.

I guess if you really wanted to you could just create your character in DDOG and then immediately save and boot it up in DDDA.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The story had one thing that set it head and shoulders over most RPGs: no destiny horseshit. You make poo poo happen because you chose to.
Well, after the first encounter with the dragon you become part of the destiny of the world, isn't that more or less the same thing as most RPGs?

And then of course you fight god and then become god, that's every JRPG ever.

I hope for the next game they keep the gameplay and something like the pawn thing but have a completely different and more original everything else.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 25, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, after the first encounter with the dragon you become part of the destiny of the world, isn't that more or less the same thing as most RPGs?

The seneschal still gives you a choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Do we know what's supposed to be in the day-one DLC that they delayed for technical reasons or whatever it says in that information screen?

• Locked thread