Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
No Conference = Nothing to mock.

No wonder people on the Internet are shocked and annoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Super Mario, Pikmin 3, WarioWare, Yoshi, Wii Fit U, Monolith Soft's X and Mario Kart isn't too bad but something like Metroid or Star Fox wouldn't hurt either. Of course multiplatform games like Grand Theft Auto V would also help but I don't know how likely that is.

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 25, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Some people are thinking that Take-Two may be announcing the next-gen console versions of GTA5 at next month's conference call and webcast, which typically has lots of information about upcoming games and sometimes announcements of new games.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

No Conference = Nothing to mock.

No wonder people on the Internet are shocked and annoyed.

Nintendo could show off anything in their conference and people would still mock it.

As for GTAV on the Wii U, yea that's never gonna happen.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Alteisen posted:

Why Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty but not Grand Theft Auto? Lack of analogue triggers?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Alteisen posted:

Are you just not buying it or have information because everything I see has said the rumour is it'll be revealed for Wii U by next week.

GTA V is a title Nintendo should be throwing money at to ensure it comes out for the Wii U.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I think somebody mentioned before that Rockstar has this "corporate culture" where they don't like Nintendo because Nintendo is for babies or something like that. Of course that person could've just been talking poo poo.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Are you just not buying it or have information because everything I see has said the rumour is it'll be revealed for Wii U by next week.

GTA V is a title Nintendo should be throwing money at to ensure it comes out for the Wii U.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but I haven't seen a single credible source for the rumors. Every article I've read about it has been poorly written and fanboyish and totally misquoting their sources.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Why? It would certainly help satisfaction of the current userbase of the system, but the GTA fanbase isn't going to buy a Wii U for a title they can already play on their PS3/360.

It would be nice, but it's not something they need to be throwing money at.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Box of Bunnies posted:

Why? It would certainly help satisfaction of the current userbase of the system, but the GTA fanbase isn't going to buy a system for a title they can already play on their PS3/360.

This is an odd argument. People want more third party games on the Wii U but Nintendo shouldn't throw money at GTAV because most people will just get it for 360/PS3?

Every game that isn't 360 exclusive or PS3 exclusive that is coming out for those consoles should be coming out for the Wii U.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Box of Bunnies posted:

Why? It would certainly help satisfaction of the current userbase of the system, but the GTA fanbase isn't going to buy a Wii U for a title they can already play on their PS3/360.

Sometimes people old enough to play GTA are new to video games and don't have a console yet.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

This is an odd argument. People want more third party games on the Wii U but Nintendo shouldn't throw money at GTAV because most people will just get it for 360/PS3?

If Nintendo doesn't get third-party games, then that is bad for the Wii U. But if the Wii U gets third-party games and they aren't exclusive then people will just buy it for the 360/PS3, so they have to get exclusive third-party games. But then they got Bayonetta 2 and a lot of people got pissed off about that on the internet.

I don't know how else to put it, but that's the kind of thing I see when it comes to the issue of Nintendo consoles and third-party support. And I don't know how that issue could be fixed in regards to opinions on the matter.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Every game that isn't 360 exclusive or PS3 exclusive that is coming out for those consoles should be coming out for the Wii U.

Certainly, but to the extent that Nintendo should be "throwing money at it/them"?

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Sometimes people old enough to play GTA are new to video games and don't have a console yet.

Those people would probably see a much better value proposition in either of the systems that GTA5 is currently coming to.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Box of Bunnies posted:

Those people would probably see a much better value proposition in either of the systems that GTA5 is currently coming to.

The comparative value between the Wii U and the other consoles is another question and depends on whether they find Nintendo's exclusives worthwhile.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Just so people know, this is the article that spawned all the GTA V rumors: http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/16872/20130421/gta-5-release-date-pc-wii-u.htm

This is my totally scientific breakdown of it earlier in the thread:

Crowbear posted:

Oh man that GTA5 article. It definitely piqued my interest until I actually read it.

It's from International Digital Games, which I have never heard of. It talks about the Wii U port like a thing we've known about and we're just waiting for the release date. Its first source is an article that says that an announcement of PS4 and 720 ports could be coming soon, with no mention of the Wii U or PC. Its second source is something called "inEntertainment" which I also have never heard of, there's no actual link to the source, and the quote they pulled doesn't mention the Wii U either. Also, the whole article is incredibly badly written, with poo poo grammer and amazing lines such as

I mean, what the gently caress even is that? Who would write something like that in an article they expect anyone to take seriously?

I also missed the fact that they got the date for the earnings call wrong.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I just don't see it, like at all given Nintendo's image, nor have I ever seen Rockstar EVER expressing any interest in developing for a Nintendo console, so far the only GTA game that exists on a Nintendo machine was made by Rockstar Leeds and they usually work on portables.

I will be extremely surprised if it happens.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Alteisen posted:

I just don't see it, like at all given Nintendo's image, nor have I ever seen Rockstar EVER expressing any interest in developing for a Nintendo console, so far the only GTA game that exists on a Nintendo machine was made by Rockstar Leeds and they usually work on portables.

I will be extremely surprised if it happens.
As it turns out, Manhunt 2 was left to Rockstar Toronto (usually responsible for PC, formerly PS2 games) to make it for the Wii, and Rockstar San Diego made that unexpected table tennis game for the Wii. Rockstar Vancouver worked with Toronto to do (the possibly best version of) Bully. It's quite possible that Rockstar regrets their old identity as the creator of the family-friendly Lemmings titles, and now reserves GTA for only the most manly consoles.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

AngryCaterpillar posted:

But the other consoles will likely play the game just as well (especially if it was another janky port), at a lower cost than the Wii U, with clearly larger libraries of games available right now, with more still on the way. Sure, you can argue that the Wii U's library, including Wii games, adds significant value, and I'd agree. I think the only Wii U game I've played more than my old Wii games as of late is Monster Hunter. But if we want to start talking about backward compatibility and/or digital content for the Wii U, you also have to let that be counted for the other competing consoles as well, and even there the Wii U looks significantly less feature packed.

It's not that GTA on the Wii U can't happen. Hell, it'd be nice for people who own the thing and are looking for something else to play on it. I don't particularly see it as a system seller that's going to solve the Wii U's woes, though. The system itself failed to recapture that new set of gamers that hopped onto the Wii, and it's probably going to take an effort very similar to what happened with the 3DS to turn that around. Unless they keep spending/start spending a lot of money to guarantee third-party releases of every major multiplatform game on the system, publishers and developers will still be able to use the very valid excuse of "There's just not a large enough number of potential sales to justify the effort of a port to the Wii U right now."

The Wii 'proved' that third party support from major franchises doesn't actually matter if you aim for a completely different market. Unfortunately it seems like that same group of customers that propelled the Wii to the level of success it had aren't motivated to move to the Wii U right now, for a wide variety of reasons.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

So just so I have this straight. Nobody's buying Wii Us. The majority of Americans don't know what it is, or that it's a new system. And the media narrative is that the system is dead on arrival.

So how is hiding away behind closed doors and going small scale at E3 helping the perception of the Wii U as something that exists? "We'll be overshadowed" is not a good excuse. Have a fuckin hour and a half meeting where you just have Reggie come out and shout IT'S A NEW CONSOLE, IT'S A NEW CONSOLE, IT'S A NEW CONSOLE, IT'S A NEW CONSOLE, IT'S NOT AN ACCESSORY over and over again.

The marketing department needs to be fired, fired again somehow, then rehired so that they can be fired a third time. This isn't "doom and gloom" posting, just "what are they doing" posting. They could be doing so much better if they just knew how to market the drat thing.

How anyone at Nintendo can look at their marketing approach over the past year, what that's translated to in sales and public perception, and think "We clearly need to have less of a presence" is frankly baffling. I say this not as an armchair financialman but as a guy witnessing someone crying of thirst taking a glass of water and pouring it out on the ground.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 25, 2013

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
It's completely ridiculous how they just flat out refuse to utter the words "WE HAVE A NEW CONSOLE". Advertisements talk about the "new Wii U" and the latest batch of American ads (you know the ones with "actual Wii U owners") talk about "upgrading to the Wii U". Just SAY that it's a new console and that's it. The marketing of the console is so badly done that it boggles the mind. Things will get better once Mario Kart and 3D Mario get here but man...

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Miiverse on browser is so smooth and quick. Pretty much the opposite of the WiiU miiverse as someone else said.

Until it gets more fleshed out though, I don't see the point. It's pretty much an odd gaming reddit with way less people on it.

quote:

So just so I have this straight. Nobody's buying Wii Us. The majority of Americans don't know what it is, or that it's a new system. And the media narrative is that the system is dead on arrival.

So how is hiding away behind closed doors and going small scale at E3 helping the perception of the Wii U as something that exists? "We'll be overshadowed" is not a good excuse. Have a fuckin hour and a half meeting where you just have Reggie come out and shout IT'S A NEW CONSOLE, IT'S A NEW CONSOLE, IT'S A NEW CONSOLE, IT'S A NEW CONSOLE, IT'S NOT AN ACCESSORY over and over again.

The marketing department needs to be fired, fired again somehow, then rehired so that they can be fired a third time. This isn't "doom and gloom" posting, just "what are they doing" posting. They could be doing so much better if they just knew how to market the drat thing.

How anyone at Nintendo can look at their marketing approach over the past year, what that's translated to in sales and public perception, and think "We clearly need to have less of a presence" is frankly baffling. I say this not as an armchair financialman but as a guy witnessing someone crying of thirst taking a glass of water and pouring it out on the ground.

This post is so spot-on. If they dial it back for E3 that would be the worst idea ever. They need to have a loving roaring show or else they WILL be overshadowed and sales will continue to suck rear end.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Quest For Glory II posted:

So how is hiding away behind closed doors and going small scale at E3 helping the perception of the Wii U as something that exists?

How is the same conference that they do every year going to help? They couldn't have made it any clearer that the Wii U is a new thing that exists at last years E3 but the average consumer pays no attention to Gaming Expos. The kind of people that watch internet streams of video game presentations already know what the Wii U is.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

E3 conferences aren't relevant to the kind of consumer that doesn't yet understand what a Wii U is, and the standard conference apparently didn't do the trick last year.

Are they supposed to blow a massive budget on a huge celebrity-laden event that no one in the market they need to target will see?

EDIT: And honestly, if you look at the wording, it seems like they're still angling for a software presentation that will include everything gamers give a poo poo about and less filler. Jeez, talk about a meltdown over nothing.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 25, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Quest For Glory II posted:

The most :psyduck: thing about it is that with the 3DS they had already seen the consequences of failing to differentiate a new system from its predeccesor in the eyes of the public. Then they saw this happen again with the confused reaction to the reveal of the Wii U at E3 2011, and still did nothing about it!

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
The mourning of a Nintendo keynote from E3 (while there will be nintendo directs) is something I expect from people who adored Wind Waker.

(Or who dislike LTTP2).

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

I just realised that miiverse launch should lead to some nice postable in game screenshots, Neogaf has a thread about it, they seem to come out looking pretty nice:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=546720

for example:

Long John Power fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 25, 2013

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
It might be Pikmin 3 being almost a year late, but no conference to me reads that they just don't have enough games running.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

ghostwritingduck posted:

It might be Pikmin 3 being almost a year late, but no conference to me reads that they just don't have enough games running.

quote:

"[A]t the E3 show this year," he states, "we are planning to host a few smaller events that are specifically focused on our software lineup for the U.S. market. There will be one closed event for American distributors, and we will hold another closed hands-on experience event, for mainly the Western gaming media."

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

With the Wii release schedule being dead for the past few years, besides a couple of localised JRPGs, you'd think they'd have more Wii U games nearing completion.

I don't understand why Mario Kart wasn't a launch game, since MKWii came out years ago, and 7 was outsourced to Retro Studios. If you can get 5 people playing the same game, with someone getting a screen of their own, then the benefits of the Wii U become clear to anyone playing it.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

That loving Sned posted:

I don't understand why Mario Kart wasn't a launch game, since MKWii came out years ago, and 7 was outsourced to Retro Studios. If you can get 5 people playing the same game, with someone getting a screen of their own, then the benefits of the Wii U become clear to anyone playing it.

Retro only did the... retro courses. The rest was done by EAD1.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Rayman got bumped up the release schedule to August 30. That's, what, a month earlier?

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Fabulous Knight posted:

It's completely ridiculous how they just flat out refuse to utter the words "WE HAVE A NEW CONSOLE". Advertisements talk about the "new Wii U" and the latest batch of American ads (you know the ones with "actual Wii U owners") talk about "upgrading to the Wii U". Just SAY that it's a new console and that's it. The marketing of the console is so badly done that it boggles the mind. Things will get better once Mario Kart and 3D Mario get here but man...

I have yet to see a Wii U commercial this calendar year, and the ones I did see featured a game with the same wow factor as a bowl of cold oatmeal (NSMB; good game, but not what you lead with if you want to differentiate yourself from your last system). It didn't help that said game was mostly shown from a distance as a "real family" was cavorting and overacting in the discount section of their local Ikea.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but those racist squirrel cartoons did a better job of hocking the PSP than Nintendo is doing with the Wii U.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Wait how are the gaming press going to rate their big press conference if there's no big press conference to arbitrarily rate? You're being pretty unfair to them Nintendo.

I can see it now an automatic F minus from Geoff Keighley.

I think alot of people have never really taken any stock in what Geoff Keighley thinks.

I'm actually impressed by Nintendo's decision to not have a huge presentation. I think they realize that it's really just been a stupid game of who out of the big three can make the most outlandish and over the top announcements for a long time now. Nintendo Directs have been far more beneficial for I think for the consumer/public to see what's ahead, rather than making everyone wait for E3 or TGS every year for major announcements. I mean the biggest announcement they made there in the past few shows was just about the WiiU, never really any specifics about the system itself till Nintendo Directs later on.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Rayman got bumped up the release schedule to August 30. That's, what, a month earlier?

So only 6 months later than it should've been out. At least the challenge stuff hits the eShop today. Speaking of which, wasn't the OS update supposed to come out yesterday?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

njsykora posted:

So only 6 months later than it should've been out. At least the challenge stuff hits the eShop today. Speaking of which, wasn't the OS update supposed to come out yesterday?

Sometime today, last I heard, with the VC dropping tomorrow.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It would have to be today since there are only two days left in the week, unless they're gonna start dropping updates and virtual console on Saturdays and Sundays.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski
Is there a particular capture card that would work really well with the Wii U? I'm trying, a hem a haw, to find a good one that will let me capture high quality footage. Gonna be doing some LP's when the new games drop.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

HarveyVdarski posted:

Is there a particular capture card that would work really well with the Wii U? I'm trying, a hem a haw, to find a good one that will let me capture high quality footage. Gonna be doing some LP's when the new games drop.

I have this one and it works perfectly with everything. It supports just about every input under the sun too.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Count me down as being disappointed with the lack of emphasis on E3. I mean yeah, they weren't going to "win" when going up against the PS4 and Xbox 560 conferences this year but if they'd been like Xbox 06 (where they unveiled Gears and maybe Halo 3 too?) they would have at least put out a big sign saying "we're still here and we're still great." To be frank I think this is a mistake, despite what some people in this thread have said E3 is the one time of the year that newspapers and other news organizations give a drat about gaming stuff and Nintendo de-emphasizing their conference will not help them get the word out to Johnny Idiot with his all white living room and laughing mime family. Maybe its just that, having announced all those games that they are showing at E3 they have little to actually announce now and a bunch of stuff to show off, which could be adequately covered by floor presentations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Oh hey here's a thing I missed from the investor meeting yesterday:

https://twitter.com/gibbogame/status/327260418181574657

quote:

Nintendo said advertising expense doesn't rise much this yr because of efficiency of using Nintendo direct and social media and eshop

"We used Nintendo directs and social media and eshop to advertise last year and people still don't know poo poo about the console so therefore we are doing the exact same thing this year :thumbsup:"

Also RE: delays https://twitter.com/gibbogame/status/327261322272198656

quote:

Nintendo explaining software delays said it was because people had to work on hardware more than planned and min expectations rising

I'm not sure exactly what this means. Were their software studios actually working on the Wii U hardware?

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 25, 2013

• Locked thread