Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

RI Senate floor debate/vote stream.
http://www.wpri.com/generic/news/same-sex-marriage-coverage

e: Raptakis is on board. So they have at least 19 of the 20 needed votes.
ee: Conley makes 20. ~1 hour until :toot:

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Oregon congressman Kurt Schrader sent a statement to the Human Rights Campaign last week announcing his support for marriage equality.

Kurt Schrader posted:

After many discussions with my constituents, I have decided to support marriage equality. I recently traveled on the civil rights pilgrimage to Selma, Alabama with the Faith and Politics Institute. This trip reaffirmed my commitments to civil rights for all, including gay and lesbian Americans. I supported civil unions in the Oregon Legislature. I now believe that while religious institutions should retain the right to perform marriages as they please, the government should not deny the rights of same sex couples to receive marriage licenses.

All of Oregon's Democratic members of Congress now support same-sex marriage.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

RI Senate floor debate/vote stream.
http://www.wpri.com/generic/news/same-sex-marriage-coverage

e: Raptakis is on board. So they have at least 19 of the 20 needed votes.
ee: Conley makes 20. ~1 hour until :toot:

Someone apparently pulled a fire alarm, though security shut it off quickly. Good plan, that.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

silvergoose posted:

Someone apparently pulled a fire alarm, though security shut it off quickly. Good plan, that.

Our politics is alarmingly like my tenth grade history class.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

It passes, 26-12. :toot:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Passes 26-12!

They still lost a third of the caucus. Rhode Island Senate is the worst.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Passes 26-12!

Congratulations, Rhode Islanders!

Is there anything left to do before it goes to Chafee's desk? Does it have to go back to the House or anything?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Passes 26-12!

Give them some credit, they won over the Catholic Senator who is Catholic and how her Catholic heart voted for Catholic support of same sex marriage (as a Catholic).

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

Franco Potente posted:

Is there anything left to do before it goes to Chafee's desk? Does it have to go back to the House or anything?

I believe the Senate made some minor changes, so it does have to be re-voted on by the House. But they passed it overwhelmingly the first time, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Congratulations, RI! :neckbeard:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Nevada lawmaker comes out as gay during gay marriage debate:

quote:

In a particularly emotional moment, Sen. Kelvin Atkinson, D-North Las Vegas, publicly declared for the first time that he is gay. "I'm black. I'm gay," Atkinson said in a trembling voice after describing his father's interracial re-marriage that would have been banned earlier in American history. "I know this is the first time many of you have heard me say that I am a black, gay male."
Atkinson went on to rebut the argument that gay marriage threatens any other definition of marriage.
"If this hurts your marriage, then your marriage was in trouble in the first place," Atkinson added.

There's video of this as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AalHZdtIFys

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Franco Potente posted:

Some additions to the bill, but the overall result is the same: Rhode Island will be the 10th state to legalize gay marriage in the US.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
And now the New England Val-U-Pak will be complete!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

France and Rhone Island in the same week! This is really really exciting news

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Movement leader Frigide Barjot

Is this real? You aren't making this name up?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The Rhode Island law won't take effect until August 1st.

Of the potential states, Illinois would be 30 days after signing, Delaware would be July 1st, and Minnesota would also be August 1st.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

All Of The Dicks posted:

She used to be a comedian. If anyone ever thought she was funny, they don't anymore.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Santa Fe's city council just approved their marriage equality resolution, 5-1 with two abstains. Attorney General Gary King, at the request of state Sen. Bill McCamely, D-Mesilla Park, has said he will issue an opinion on same-sex marriage in coming weeks. King’s opinion could change a previous attorney general’s orders to county clerks not to issue licenses to same-sex couples.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
He's running for Governor you know.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
So what's the status in New Jersey? It burns my rear end that my great state doesn't have gay marriage because a certain someone might want the GOP nomination some day. As far as I know, the two paths are for Christie to drop opposition or a ballot question. I haven't really been keeping up on this but the big Gay northeast simply must have New Jersey or it won't look right.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rhode Island has its judiciary committee vote on Tuesday and the full vote on Thursday.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Chief Savage Man posted:

So what's the status in New Jersey? It burns my rear end that my great state doesn't have gay marriage because a certain someone might want the GOP nomination some day. As far as I know, the two paths are for Christie to drop opposition or a ballot question. I haven't really been keeping up on this but the big Gay northeast simply must have New Jersey or it won't look right.
Any attempt to override the veto will be after June because GOP primary voters run this country. There's a lawsuit that hasn't moved in 14 months. Christie does not appear to be coming around.

A ballot question would easily pass, but various competing interests prevent that bill from going anywhere. There's really not a strong argument against it since there are so few states left where marriage can become law without a public vote.

Unless SCOTUS makes a very broad ruling, people backing same sex marriage are going to get used to voting on civil rights real quick.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Alliance Defending Freedom decided to make a list of 10 reasons SSM affects your marriage:

quote:

1. Same-sex marriage reduces the worth of your marriage

Redefining marriage to include people of the same sex is a legal endorsement of the fungibility of a man and woman in marriage. To set “any two persons” on a par with a man and a woman in marriage is to reduce the worth of their roles. To draw an analogy, if a government declared the price of coal to be equivalent with the price of gold, would the cost of coal go up, or would the cost of gold come down? The price of gold would come down. Traditional marriage is the gold standard of marriage. People who affirm gay/lesbian marriage as equivalent in worth to the marriage of a husband and a wife devalue the worth of your marriage.

Purestrain gold

quote:

4. Same-sex marriage will absorb your marriage into a new view of reality

The basic argument for same-sex marriage states that there is no fundamental difference between the rights of gays/lesbians and heterosexuals to marry. Supporting the legal claim of “gender equality” is a view of human sexuality that erodes natural, gender-specific, differences between men and woman. The result is a “unisexual” view of personhood which, rather than affirm diversity, blurs it beyond recognition. The unisexual view of personhood is part of global move toward a hermaphroditic understanding of reality. According to this vision of things “all religions are equal” (unireligion); “all nations are equal” (one world order), etc. Ironically, diversity, the very thing secularism claims to champion, is what it destroys. Unity (two people becoming one) and diversity (a husband and a wife) are held in perfect balance in traditional marriage.

quote:

5. Same-sex marriage makes the concepts of husband and wife irrelevant in your marriage

When the California Supreme Court held In re Marriage Cases (2008) held that “California legislative and initiative measures limiting marriage to opposite-sex couples violate the state constitutional rights of same-sex couples and may not be used to preclude same-sex couples from marrying” (News Release 26, May 15, 2008, In re Marriage Cases, S147999), the court order decreed that all marriages would have the respective parties designated as “party A” and “party B.” That ruling was a result of the Court’s acknowledgement that it could afford by statute domestic partnerships all the rights and privileges of marriage but not labels similar to “husband” and “wife.” That left gays and lesbians free to refer to their relationships any way they wanted e.g., spouse-partner, life partner-significant other, wife-wife, husband-husband, or whatever! The fact is that words have meaning. The elevation of same-sex marriage to that of traditional marriage, combined with the use of random nomenclature to designate parties in same-sex marriage, absorbs and reduces time-honored roles of husbands and wives into a morass of meaningless linguistic jargon.

quote:

8. Same-sex marriage challenges the nature of your marriage

If marriage is a civil right for all, then what is to stop other types of non-traditional relationships? Why not permit incestuous and polygamous marriages? Why not allow marriages between adults and children? How about nuptials between people and animals? Will the age of tolerance permit Muslim men to take multiple wives while Muslim women are restricted to one husband? These horrific possibilities destroy the nature of marriage as a sacred union between a man and a woman.

Nice bit of Islamaphobia on top of bigotry

The list goes on with crazier ideas. It is too long to post each response but here are the other 6 reasons

2. Your marriage will be forced to abide by the social strictures of same-sex marriage

3. The rights of spouses to dissent same-sex marriage will be infringed

6. Same-sex marriage will obfuscate the state’s interests in your marriage

7. Same-sex marriage defeats the purpose of the state’s interest in benefiting your marriage

9. The redistribution of marriage rights modifies your marriage as a natural entity afforded legal recognition

10. The legal legitimization of same-sex marriage affects your status as a father or a mother

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Thank you for posting the other items on the list--I hate visiting sites like that and bumping their page views.

And man, it's a pity interracial marriage isn't the issue at stake, that "coal vs. gold" analogy would've been perfect for that!

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

9. The redistribution of marriage rights

I love this framing. REDISTRIBUTION of ARE RIGHTS. It's so paranoid and ties perfectly into crazy right-wing persecution complexes.

I'm picturing Federal agents kicking in the door of a nice Christian family's home, confiscating their marriage certificate, and hand delivering it to some lesbians cackling gleefully outside. "Thanks a bunch, Obama!"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The Macaroni posted:

Thank you for posting the other items on the list--I hate visiting sites like that and bumping their page views.

And man, it's a pity interracial marriage isn't the issue at stake, that "coal vs. gold" analogy would've been perfect for that!

Since there is more text I did not post, I uploaded the rest onto pastebin for you.

http://pastebin.com/LYAnnVzf

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

All Of The Dicks posted:

That's her stage name, her real name is Virginie Tellenne.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 25, 2013

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
Bryan "Gays literally committed the Holocaust and Indians are savages who deserved every atrocity committed against them" Fischer says gays should face employment discrimination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjySeJzFJMc

In more slightly off topic news, Stacey "don't say gay" Campfield is still a vile creature.

quote:

A Tennessee state senator is being slammed for insensitivity to the Boston Marathon bombing victims after posting an illustration of a pressure cooker – like the ones used in last week’s deadly attack – to mock gun control advocates. Republican Stacey Campfield posted an illustrated image of an “Assault Pressure Cooker” on his personal blog Camp4u on Sunday.

“Here comes Feinstein again” he titled the post in a reference to Sen. Dianne Feinstein, who authored an assault weapons ban in the wake of the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School. The pressure cooker illustration is then labeled with features similar to those of a gun – like a “tactical pistol grip” and “folding stock.” “Large-capacity, can cook for hours without reloading,” it also says.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

ENDA (LGBT employment protection) was introduced into Congress today.
It's probably doomed in the House but I think it will get a cloture vote in the Senate.

ACLU, Lambda, etc. have issues with the religious exemption going beyond places of worship and some of the language needs to be cleaned up in light of a recent SCOTUS ruling on employment discrimination.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

ENDA (LGBT employment protection) was introduced into Congress today.
It's probably doomed in the House but I think it will get a cloture vote in the Senate.

ACLU, Lambda, etc. have issues with the religious exemption going beyond places of worship and some of the language needs to be cleaned up in light of a recent SCOTUS ruling on employment discrimination.
I hope it makes it, but I doubt it will. Mostly because it includes protections for transwomen/men. :smith:

staticman fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 25, 2013

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

quote:

2. Your marriage will be forced to abide by the social strictures of same-sex marriage

By legalizing same-sex marriage the state becomes its official advocate. Thus, in every public forum where marriage rights extend to gays and lesbians, the state will expect you to comply. Local judges will be called upon to conduct the new civil ceremony. Any restraints within the public schools to advocate for the LGBTQ culture will be removed fully. In the private sphere, owners of rental properties must agree to accept same-sex couples as tenants. Businesses offering wedding services will be forced to cater same-sex ceremonies, and much more. If your traditional marriage touches these, or similar areas, you can expect it to be affected.

9. The redistribution of marriage rights modifies your marriage as a natural entity afforded legal recognition

Marriage is a naturally occurring relationship. A purpose of U.S. law is to create a flourishing context for the family to govern itself. Put differently, the state does not create marriage but is to create complimentary environments in which martial life is legally recognized and protected. Redefining marriage by legal fiat changes this point of reference. It shifts the legal posture of the state from recognizing a preexisting institution to creating the institution after its own image and likeness. The state would become the originator of your marriage. Case in point, the Hawaii Supreme Court called marriage “a state conferred legal partnership status.” Baehr v. Lewin, 852 P.2d 44, 58 (Haw. 1993).

Oh c'mon guys, don't stop there when you're just a hair from truly innovatively batshit bigotry. Go all out. Gimme an argument for personhood of marriages. First amendment rights of marriages themselves. Marriages United.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

eviltastic posted:

Oh c'mon guys, don't stop there when you're just a hair from truly innovatively batshit bigotry. Go all out. Gimme an argument for personhood of marriages. First amendment rights of marriages themselves. Marriages United.

Haha, number nine reads like bad science fiction. 'If we create robot marriage it'll inevitably rise up and destroy organic marriage! We am play God!' Then they basically outright state that marriage is already a function of the state, but we like to pretend that it isn't and gay marriage makes that hard. They're like the Looney Toons, they can keep running after they go off the cliff and be perfectly fine. Now those drat gays are trying to make them look down and realize they're in midair. :argh:

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
proof that the SPLC are left-wing terrorist, or sympathizers at the very least. :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl9BQlSv8Fg

World Net Daily posted:

A key leader of the Washington-based Family Research Council, the pro-family organization attacked by “gay” terrorist Floyd Lee Corkins, II, last year, says he is asking the government to stop utilizing the organization that likely influenced Corkins’ decision to attack innocent workers at FRC’s Washington office. Retired Lt. Gen. William G. “Jerry” Boykin, the executive vice president of FRC and also a member of the board of WND.com, also is asking the U.S. news media to stop citing reports, statements and claims from the Southern Poverty Law Center, which he said legitimizes the organization. The reason is that Corkins, who has pleaded guilty to a charge of domestic terrorism, confirmed to the FBI that he obtained information about the FRC from the “hate group” listing posted online by the SPLC, and that’s how he picked his target.

I may sound like a monster for saying this, but this is crying over split milk in comparison to the violence LGBTs, abortion providers, and liberals face.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

staticman posted:

proof that the SPLC are left-wing terrorist, or sympathizers at the very least. :rolleyes:

I may sound like a monster for saying this, but this is crying over split milk in comparison to the violence LGBTs, abortion providers, and liberals face.

The easiest way to stop being identified as a hate group? Stop being a hate group.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

staticman posted:

That's not what that idiom means, that idiom means "it's already happened and you can't do poo poo to change it, so get over it".

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Undecided Delaware Senator says he'll vote for the marriage bill.

This vote will be really close but it looks like 11-10 at the moment.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

staticman posted:

It's fitting that that rear end in a top hat Boykin is a spokesperson for them.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Undecided Delaware Senator says he'll vote for the marriage bill.

This vote will be really close but it looks like 11-10 at the moment.

When is a vote expected, and how's the House look there?

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

It already passed the house.

Edit: link

Alligator Horse fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 26, 2013

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Senate Executive Committee will be voting May 1st, and the full Senate should be shortly after. It looks like it's going to be close:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

A U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals judge on Wednesday ruled that Oregon's ban on gay marriage violates the U.S. Constitution. Marriage equality advocates in Oregon are eyeing a 2014 referendum to repeal the amendment.

• Locked thread