Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Bown posted:

The show looks good, but that caricature guy is so obviously aware that it's a comedy.

There's a couple of people that are clearly wise to it, but that doesn't hinder it at all for me personally.

Lately I've been binging through Psych. It's a little painful and hokey in season 1 and I hope it picks up soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

flashy_mcflash posted:

There's a couple of people that are clearly wise to it, but that doesn't hinder it at all for me personally.

Lately I've been binging through Psych. It's a little painful and hokey in season 1 and I hope it picks up soon.

Season one is the "worst/goofiest" season but I've enjoyed it throughout. Don't expect too much in terms of story arcs etc, it's much more episodic. It's a fun show so just take it all in stride. If you're not digging it though and can't watch even for the camaraderie between Shawn and Gus I would stop watching.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Currently on S2 of Deadwood. Ian McShane is wonderful as Al Swearengen, cursing out the hoople-head cocksuckers he has to deal with. :allears: I'm also beginning to understand all those comments people make about Justified being a Deadwood reunion.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I've heard nothing but good things about Supernatural so I decided to start watching. I caught the end of season 5 and the start of season 6 when they aired and enjoyed it throughly.

Just finished season 1 and now I'm angry at the fans I know for not telling me what an awesome soundtrack this show has.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I've heard nothing but good things about Supernatural so I decided to start watching. I caught the end of season 5 and the start of season 6 when they aired and enjoyed it throughly.

Just finished season 1 and now I'm angry at the fans I know for not telling me what an awesome soundtrack this show has.

Supernatural has one of the best TV soundtracks ever. Unfortunately the newest seasons (maybe starting with season 6?) seems to have dropped that aspect entirely.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Watched both seasons of House of Lies over the last two or three weeks. Season 1 was excellent. Season 2 was very up and down from my mind. I kind of hope they go further toward season one than two in season three.

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006

CaptainHollywood posted:

While it wasn't so much a binge, it was the first time in recent memory where I watched/finished a show in "season one" as it aired on TV- only missed the first 3 episodes: Nathan For You. The last time I did that was maybe for Parks and Rec. I seriously can't remember.
Thanks for this. I love this show now.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I've started the second season of Game of Thrones. I don't think it's a popular opinion but I think the show's a little overrated. It's not bad but it's not the greatest piece of television ever made.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Gaunab posted:

I've started the second season of Game of Thrones. I don't think it's a popular opinion but I think the show's a little overrated. It's not bad but it's not the greatest piece of television ever made.

If you want that you should be watching Boardwalk Empire instead.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Gaunab posted:

I'm on board with this and also second that Boardwalk Empire is the more compelling show to me, but maybe it's just because I haven't read any of the books and am not big on the whole fantasy genre anyway.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Finished Twin Peaks last night. I can honestly say that it was 30 hours of my life that would have been better spent doing any activity that did not entail watching Twin Peaks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Finished Twin Peaks last night. I can honestly say that it was 30 hours of my life that would have been better spent doing any activity that did not entail watching Twin Peaks.

What didn't you like about it?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Probably season 2.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Noxville posted:

Probably season 2.

That still had the finale and the start.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I haven't rewatched Twin Peaks since it first came out, I know it was super weird but it really struck a chord at the time it was current. It's definitely not like any show written today, even for a quirky drama.

But why would you watch 30 hours of something you knew you should have given up on? I stop watching shows I don't like after about 4 or 5 shows, maximum.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

bobkatt013 posted:

It turned into everything it had started out parodying. Aside from Leland/BOB killing Maddy and the finale's trip to the Black Lodge season 2 had nothing remotely interesting going on and seemed to be wall to wall stupid subplots that went nowhere and impacted nothing.

The first season struck me as a hair overrated (I'm sure the fact that I've seen everything that drew influence from it over the last 20 years is the reason for this; same reason Blade Runner didn't grab me when I first saw it) but I could appreciate it in the context of the time it came out, and it still had a fair bit of entertainment value going for it. Season 2 is...well. It ain't season 1, that's for sure.

FAKE EDIT: Oh wait, I forgot about Chief Cole's appearances. Even in the worst parts of the show, I found him god drat hilarious.

krushgroove posted:

But why would you watch 30 hours of something you knew you should have given up on? I stop watching shows I don't like after about 4 or 5 shows, maximum.

The wife insisted we finish it; she wasn't terribly impressed, but hates to leave this sort of thing unfinished. Had it been up to me, we would have bailed 4 episodes into season 2.

EDIT: You know, speaking of 30 hours this feeds into my conviction that TV seasons should last no longer than 16 episodes.

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 26, 2013

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I just finished Awake on Netflix. I wish there was more, but I'm happy for some sort of conclusion. It's too bad that show wasn't on a cable channel. Maybe it would have made it.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I've been slowing making my way through Battlestar Galactica, and I just finished seaosn 2. Until now, I've mostly found the show really overrated. Most episodes are pretty good but not great, and I absolutely did not understand how this show was so favorably compared to the rest of the mid-00s serialized concept shows like Lost and 24 which I still love to this day.

Well, that was my opinion until the season 2 finale, which was insane in the best possible ways. The last 20 minutes or so were the most :stare: moments I've seen on a TV show in a very long time, and the rest of the episode was pretty great too.

What's funny is I thought I remembered everyone raving about the THIRD season finale, meaning I either mis-remembered or there is an episode in the future even crazier than this one!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
yep, crazy is one way to describe it. :)

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

mancalamania posted:

I've been slowing making my way through Battlestar Galactica, and I just finished seaosn 2. Until now, I've mostly found the show really overrated. Most episodes are pretty good but not great, and I absolutely did not understand how this show was so favorably compared to the rest of the mid-00s serialized concept shows like Lost and 24 which I still love to this day.

Well, that was my opinion until the season 2 finale, which was insane in the best possible ways. The last 20 minutes or so were the most :stare: moments I've seen on a TV show in a very long time, and the rest of the episode was pretty great too.

What's funny is I thought I remembered everyone raving about the THIRD season finale, meaning I either mis-remembered or there is an episode in the future even crazier than this one!

Yep, while the third season is hit and miss, mostly missing, the third season finale is pretty damned crazy.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

thrakkorzog posted:

Yep, while the third season is hit and miss, mostly missing, the third season finale is pretty damned crazy.

Not to mention the first couple of episodes of season 3, which many people consider the pinnacle of the whole show.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

thrakkorzog posted:

For better or worse.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

thrakkorzog posted:

It's even better if you've heard people bitching about the ending to the series.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
I'm progressing through the UK Being Human at a rapid rate. Loving it. The cast is awesome and the leads are all pretty likable while still begin damaged or broken in their various ways. I'm liking where the story is going.

I probably already know this answer but how's the US version? Is it the usual Syfy quality or is it an anomaly like Warehouse 13 or Alphas?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
I am blowing through Suits at an alarming rate and I love it! Only started this week, but I'm pretty sure I'll be done before the end of the week.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

richardfun posted:

I am blowing through Suits at an alarming rate and I love it! Only started this week, but I'm pretty sure I'll be done before the end of the week.

I devoured Suits, really enjoyed it - and I'm not usually a law drama person. Harvey's secretary really helps me keep watching, too.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

LordZoric posted:

I'm progressing through the UK Being Human at a rapid rate. Loving it. The cast is awesome and the leads are all pretty likable while still begin damaged or broken in their various ways. I'm liking where the story is going.

I probably already know this answer but how's the US version? Is it the usual Syfy quality or is it an anomaly like Warehouse 13 or Alphas?

Personally I think it's superior to the UK version. It's the only thing on SyFy worth watching right now.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

richardfun posted:

It has it's ups and downs, but overall it's a GOOD show, just not great. Season two is a big improvement on Season one.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

CaptainHollywood posted:

It has it's ups and downs, but overall it's a GOOD show, just not great. Season two is a big improvement on Season one.

Just finished it, and I'm going to put it in the great category. First of all, I can't remember a single dud of an episode. But I think it's the laughs that put it over the top for me.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Just started Farscape, Babylon 5, and 24. Never seen any of them before so I'm excited to see why they're all so highly regarded especially the first two.

Isn't there a goon recommended order in which to watch b5?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

pahuyuth posted:

Just started Farscape, Babylon 5, and 24. Never seen any of them before so I'm excited to see why they're all so highly regarded especially the first two.

Isn't there a goon recommended order in which to watch b5?

Skip the pilot episode 'The Gathering', watch all the series. Maybe watch the first movie or two if you want afterwards.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Is Spooks any good? I just finished watching the second series of Luther and I'm looking for another British show to watch.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I cleared the UK version of The Office recently. It certainly strikes a very distinct tone from the US version, and I found its dramatic moments far more effective. I like that Tim is always speaking in platitudes during the talking-head segments; it lends far more subtlety to his dejection. The whole show is also far more depressing and cynical than the US version. It seems to be a trend among the other UK comedies I've watched -- Yes Minister and The Thick of It. Sheds some light on cross-Atlantic cultural differences, huh.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

I've just finished all of Spartacus. I thought it was cheesy trash after the first episode and nearly gave up. I have been pleasantly surprised at how many twists and turns there were, and how well written the characters are. I really enjoyed it.

Like an idiot I missed the six episode prequel, so might have to go back to those.

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Is Spooks any good? I just finished watching the second series of Luther and I'm looking for another British show to watch.

It's like an episodic 24. I only watched the first season, I wasn't captured enough to continue. It wasn't horrible or anything. I don't know if it gets better beyond that.

I'd suggest Ashes to Ashes if you haven't seen that.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Vegetable posted:

I cleared the UK version of The Office recently. It certainly strikes a very distinct tone from the US version, and I found its dramatic moments far more effective. I like that Tim is always speaking in platitudes during the talking-head segments; it lends far more subtlety to his dejection. The whole show is also far more depressing and cynical than the US version. It seems to be a trend among the other UK comedies I've watched -- Yes Minister and The Thick of It. Sheds some light on cross-Atlantic cultural differences, huh.

If you liked the emotional moments in The Office, you should give Extras a try.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Glug_Glug posted:

It's like an episodic 24. I only watched the first season, I wasn't captured enough to continue. It wasn't horrible or anything. I don't know if it gets better beyond that.

I'd suggest Ashes to Ashes if you haven't seen that.
Should I watch Life on Mars first or is it kosher to just jump right into Ashes to Ashes?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Should I watch Life on Mars first or is it kosher to just jump right into Ashes to Ashes?

I'd suggest you watch Life on Mars first because it's better than Ashes to Ashes.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Just finished Jon Benjamin Has a Van. It was ... ok. It really pains me that it wasn't really good because I wanted to enjoy it, but I just didn't find it that funny. It had it's moments but tonally the show itself really didn't know what it was trying to be. It would have fake segments, mixed with 'real' segments and it was very hit or miss-- and usually it was miss. It also doesn't help that the show's concept is now being done a lot better in Newsreaders. The show deserves credit for the episodes "Breakdown" and "The Curse". Two of the weirdest episodes I've ever seen of any TV show. If you have any interest of the show, watch those two episodes and nothing else.

Breakdown is one giant spoof/parody of the movie Breakdown. (with a 'twist')
The Curse is a parody on 'Thinner', except the main character gets cursed with having the most cliched/worst episode of a TV show.

Glad Nathan Fielder got a bit of a break through this, which lead to his own show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Noxville posted:

I'd suggest you watch Life on Mars first because it's better than Ashes to Ashes.

Seconding this. Life on Mars is some of the best TV to come out of the UK in a while and you'd be doing yourself a disservice not watching it. Plus is has one of the greatest finales I've ever seen.