Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Jan posted:

Yeah, Vsync pretty much eliminates the microstuttering from AFR, and Dynamic Vsync lets you at least keep a tolerable performance if your frame rate goes below 60.

But whether AFR actually helps a game engine or not is pretty much a crapshoot.

I don't know, never went crossfire or SLI. I've always stuck single cards because of horror stories of messing with profiles and microstutter.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-AMD-Improves-CrossFire-Prototype-Driver

The video of Crysis 3 at the bottom of that page was pretty shocking to watch, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Mad_Lion posted:

As for my upgrade path, well, I used to upgrade more often, but the Q6600 with a 5850 has lasted quite a while. I'm one of those that goes big and then waits, sue me. I7 and a high end video card will last me a while.

Me and you, man. I'm still running a Lynnfield i7 with crossfire 5850s (one of which I snagged years later from a guy who upgraded his bitcoin mining setup and sold for almost nothing). June and then Maxwell can't come soon enough. The 5850 is definitely at the point now where it's showing its age. It only took 4 years :shobon:.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Jan posted:

For a while, a pair of market ATIs in Crossfire were a quieter and less hot solution than a single Fermi card.

During that time, I used a GTX 580 and Factory Factory used two CF 6850s or 6870s - the setup that offered less noise and heat and was price superior while performing very similarly in raw FPS.

During that time, I loved my gaming experience and never had any issues, while he often had reason to grumble about how much of a pain in the rear end CF was and that he wouldn't be doing THAT again.

I did use a CF setup some time back, a 4870x2 or whatever the nomenclature was at the time; swapping it out for a GTX 280 freed me from a dramatic amount of noise and heat at the cost of some performance in some games (with big gains in others, but to be fair, Crossfire can only be said to be maturing now, so that was in its relative infancy, and nVidia's Tesla architecture was badass at the time).

I am not currently prepared to recommend Crossfire setups. They're working hard to address some major problems and in half a year who knows. But at the moment they're still in the "so THAT'S the reason this has been sucking, let's fix it!" phase and that's just not where you buy in imo, especially given the way hardware prices work over time.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Agreed posted:

During that time, I loved my gaming experience and never had any issues, while he often had reason to grumble about how much of a pain in the rear end CF was and that he wouldn't be doing THAT again.

Oh, I'm not saying it was a more convenient setup, only relatively more quiet. ;)

For what it's worth, 7850s in Crossfire has been good... When it works. I had to go through a series of driver changes to try to fix the geometry corruption issue from a little while back, but that plagued single card setups as well. All of the CF-specific issues I had went away once I figured out about Vsync needing to be on.

Lately, the only games where CF hasn't given me noticeable gains are CPU bound (Guild Wars II), or completely unoptimised for multi-GPU setups (the beta of a certain MMO).

Jan fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 27, 2013

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Jan posted:

Oh, I'm not saying it was a more convenient setup, only relatively more quiet. ;)

For what it's worth, 7850s in Crossfire has been good... When it works. I had to go through a series of driver changes to try to fix the geometry corruption issue from a little while back, but that plagued single card setups as well. All of the CF-specific issues I had went away once I figured out about Vsync needing to be on.

Lately, the only games where CF hasn't given me noticeable gains are CPU bound (Guild Wars II), or completely unoptimised for multi-GPU setups (the beta of a certain MMO).

Jan, what drivers did you use to fix the geometry issues? I've been dealing with them on my 7850 for the past couple months.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Looking at my post history, 12.11 beta 11 was when the worst of the issues in Skyrim stopped for me. I'm running 13.3 beta 2 right now with no noticeable issues, but I've mostly been playing XCOM and haven't touched Skyrim in a while.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Jan posted:

Looking at my post history, 12.11 beta 11 was when the worst of the issues in Skyrim stopped for me. I'm running 13.3 beta 2 right now with no noticeable issues, but I've mostly been playing XCOM and haven't touched Skyrim in a while.

I'm gonna just chalk it up to The Witcher 2 being a bit buggy, it is where I notice it the most. I'm on 13.4 right now, though it has persisted through 13.1, 13.2 beta 7, and 13.3 beta 3 as well.

I can't get a picture or video of the issues though because every time I try the game refuses to show off the artifacts.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 27, 2013

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

havenwaters posted:

I'm gonna just chalk it up to The Witcher 2 being a bit buggy, it is where I notice it the most. I'm on 13.4 right now, though it has persisted through 13.1, 13.2 beta 7, and 13.3 beta 3 as well.

I can't get a picture or video of the issues though because every time I try the game refuses to show off the artifacts.

Have you gone through some of the clean reinstall steps that others posted when it comes to driver upgrading? Might be worth a shot if the issues have persisted through multiple revisions...remove drivers, boot into safe mode, run Driver Sweeper/CCleaner, reboot and install drivers fresh (not sure if you're overclocking, but if so, might be worth it to set clocks to default before reinstalling).

dianekwon
Sep 1, 2012
I just hooked up my new 7950 and when I go to AMD and install the driver, I don't actually get it as an option to install. My only choice is the Catalyst Install Manager which I already have. Any ideas what might be causing this? Thanks!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Catalyst Install Manager contains the driver though :confused:

dianekwon
Sep 1, 2012
Oops! There must be something else that has gone wrong here as I don't think the driver is working properly. Are there some common mistakes computer newbies make when it comes to installing GPUs?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

If you had the driver from before you bought the 7950, uninstall it, then reinstall the newest driver.

dianekwon
Sep 1, 2012
Done and done! No dice, though. I'm wondering if my computer just isn't detecting the GPU. It should be listed under display adapter in Device Manger, correct? Maybe my new GPU is just incompatible with my PC. :ohdear:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

What makes you think the driver isn't working properly anyways?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Ozz81 posted:

Have you gone through some of the clean reinstall steps that others posted when it comes to driver upgrading? Might be worth a shot if the issues have persisted through multiple revisions...remove drivers, boot into safe mode, run Driver Sweeper/CCleaner, reboot and install drivers fresh (not sure if you're overclocking, but if so, might be worth it to set clocks to default before reinstalling).

I should try that again at some point. Is there anyway to disable windows update from automatically grabbing the cached drivers that seem to persist even when I use driver sweeper and CCleaner in safe mode (I had this same issue on my HP laptop at one point and bad amd drivers and I eventually just gave up and reformatted the drat thing)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Strong empirical evidence that AMD can't get their drivers straight?

dianekwon
Sep 1, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I'm not so sure it's the fault of the drivers. I just believe I may have made a dumb mistake in thinking my new GPU was compatible. When I hook it up (my old GPU), my computer detects it and installs the driver, which isn't the case for my 7950. Thanks for your help! I am going to check out the PC parts thread and see if I can get this situated as I don't want to clutter this wonderful thread with my questions.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

havenwaters posted:

I should try that again at some point. Is there anyway to disable windows update from automatically grabbing the cached drivers that seem to persist even when I use driver sweeper and CCleaner in safe mode (I had this same issue on my HP laptop at one point and bad amd drivers and I eventually just gave up and reformatted the drat thing)
Quick reminder that Driver Sweeper doesn't do anything anymore, Driver Fusion (free version) is the app to use. It'll say it didn't remove everything but it will take out all the stuff that matters. The correct procedure is to uninstall all driver software, reboot, run Driver Fusion to remove the remnants, reboot again, install the latest Beta drivers (or Legacy if you have a pre-Radeon HD 5000-series card).

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Alereon posted:

Quick reminder that Driver Sweeper doesn't do anything anymore, Driver Fusion (free version) is the app to use. It'll say it didn't remove everything but it will take out all the stuff that matters. The correct procedure is to uninstall all driver software, reboot, run Driver Fusion to remove the remnants, reboot again, install the latest Beta drivers (or Legacy if you have a pre-Radeon HD 5000-series card).

Ok AMD's clean install program along with driver fusion and CCleaner finally got my computer to boot into VGA mode. Gonna check out the 13.5 b2 driver and see if that works.

Thanks Alereon.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

havenwaters posted:

You don't need to install the driver in safe mode. Just make sure windows update is set to prompt you to install/download updates, then manually hide the AMD driver from the update list ("right-click/hide update"). After you have installed the beta driver it should be safe to re-enable automatic updating in windows update.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Fitted my new 7850 today.

I dunno if it's just ASUS that done this, but there's a massive plastic shrouding over the top of it, that meant I had to buy a 20-pin extender, because the 20-pin power cable couldn't fit around the drat thing.

Much quieter than my old 6850 anyway.

amp281
Dec 31, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dianekwon posted:

I'm not so sure it's the fault of the drivers. I just believe I may have made a dumb mistake in thinking my new GPU was compatible. When I hook it up (my old GPU), my computer detects it and installs the driver, which isn't the case for my 7950. Thanks for your help! I am going to check out the PC parts thread and see if I can get this situated as I don't want to clutter this wonderful thread with my questions.

Once you get it all working, run 3dmark11 and see if your scores are were they should be against similar systems (this feature is part of 3dmark), that gives you an idea if the driver is optimal.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/04/amds-heterogeneous-uniform-memory-access-coming-this-year-in-kaveri/

This is pretty big and I assume basically the PS4's Arch. The cache coherency is a Big Deal.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

roadhead posted:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/04/amds-heterogeneous-uniform-memory-access-coming-this-year-in-kaveri/

This is pretty big and I assume basically the PS4's Arch. The cache coherency is a Big Deal.

This is not only an excellent read, but quickly explains why AMD is such a natural choice for the next generation consoles. Sure, they had decent enough x86 cores and GPUs tossed onto a single package before, but this gives it some special spice that will be lacking on a general PC platform, without going down crazy routes like the Cell in the PS3.

vv Ah yes, it makes AMD a more attractive choice on the desktop too

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 30, 2013

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

roadhead posted:

And if that's correct, doesn't it mean that developers making games using that feature in AMD APUs for the PS4 and Xbox will have a low barrier to also support it in PC releases? Pretty nice strategy if so.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Good news for AMD buyers who redeemed the Never Settle bundle:

quote:

A THANK YOU FOR CURRENT CUSTOMERS

Starting May 1, any customer that has ever redeemed a code for our Never Settle Reloaded promotion is going to receive a FREE GAME KEY for Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon by email. Or, if you have a Never Settle Reloaded postcard with a code you’ve not yet redeemed, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon will be added to the games on the postcard when you finally register the code.

In short: if Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon will go on sale in your country, we’re going to send you a free copy as a thank you for participating in our Never Settle Reloaded program. We’re doing this because we feel it perfectly captures the spirit of our AMD Gaming Evolved program, which makes “gamers come first” as its prime philosophy.

http://blogs.amd.com/play/2013/04/11/fc3bd-nsr/

I bought one of the bundles from the forum, so I own NVIDIA but will benefit :)
They say they will start sending the codes tomorrow.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Sure wish they'd provided some goddamn bundles when I bought two 7850s, but noooo.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I'm sorry if this has been discussed, but does anyone know why both NVidia and AMD are not upgrading (but rather refreshing) their product lines this year? Is there something up with TSMC's new process or something? If anything it seems like a good time for NVidia to strike.

I want a new card with new thingies and whizbangs...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

edit: nevermind

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 2, 2013

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Yudo posted:

I'm sorry if this has been discussed, but does anyone know why both NVidia and AMD are not upgrading (but rather refreshing) their product lines this year? Is there something up with TSMC's new process or something? If anything it seems like a good time for NVidia to strike.

I want a new card with new thingies and whizbangs...

They probably don't have anything new to release yet. As was just mentioned, AMD's working on hUMA. NVIDIA's working on Project Denver, which is probably going to end up connected with their GPUs in some way. Neither are going to be ready for mainstream use before 2014.

Regarding hUMA: I have my doubts this will make them competitive in the desktop and workstation CPU market, which is a bit concerning, since that's the market that would benefit most from hUMA. AMD would need to come to some sort of agreement with Intel. If not, I don't see any one other than consoles and servers adopting this architecture.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

dpbjinc posted:

They probably don't have anything new to release yet. As was just mentioned, AMD's working on hUMA. NVIDIA's working on Project Denver, which is probably going to end up connected with their GPUs in some way. Neither are going to be ready for mainstream use before 2014.
Both are also working on various projects in the mobile / tablet space which is the big growth area. But I think the big thing is that nobody needs new graphics cards this year, everything coming out is still multi-platform tied to the old consoles, so even if your video card is 2 generations old you're still ahead of the baseline. Sales were sluggish in the second half of 2012, despite a full range of great options.

In other news, I just got a code for Blood Dragon from AMD, which is pretty awesome since I originally bought just the Tomb Raider and BS:I version. God knows when I'll end up playing it -- I'll have to sign up to Ubistore to get it, but that's not AMD's fault.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Well now, Intel lifted an NDA on Haswell. GT3e, the worst-kept secret ever, is now official. GT3 plus 128 MB of eDRAM.

Say hello to Intel HD 5000 (GT3 on 13-15W TDPs), Intel Iris 5100 (GT3 on ~28W TDPs), and Intel Iris Pro 5200 (GT3e).

HD 5000 is the Ultrabook SKU, a nice but modest boost over HD 4000. Iris 5100 lets the hardware stretch its legs and puts out really solid performance increases over HD 4000. It's meant for the kind of 14/15" ultrabook that would otherwise have a low-end dGPU, like a GeForce 630M or an AMD Mars (384 shader GCN) part. Iris Pro is the full enchilada, screaming past full-TDP HD 4000. If the chassis can handle a cTDP of 55W, even more performance can be eked out through more aggressive Turbo clocking.

Iris Pro will also be a feature of the 65W i7-4770R and other R-SKU desktop parts, and it will be a huge boost over desktop, thermally-unconstrained HD 4000. Interestingly, the GT2 performance on the 4770K is still a healthy, if modest, boost over HD 4000 even with the same number of EUs.

And features...

Jesus poo poo, Intel is competing with Eyefinity and Surround.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

This plus AMD's big push with HSA/HUMA are really making some neat leaps in regards to integrated GPUs. Maybe eventually we'll reach a point where video cards are like sound cards nowadays?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

No, I think it's laughable that they'd compete with eyefinity but it does bode well for muti-high dpi/resolution monitor support.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

This plus AMD's big push with HSA/HUMA are really making some neat leaps in regards to integrated GPUs. Maybe eventually we'll reach a point where video cards are like sound cards nowadays?
They're making big leaps to about 75% the performance of a mid-range value discrete card, let's not go nuts here

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Also, this is worth mentioning, since the R-SKU desktop chips have a 65W TDP, they're compatible with Intel's Thin Mini-ITX standard and cooler. That means you can cram those graphics into a DIY all-in-one or supermini build. :circlefap:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

TheRationalRedditor posted:

They're making big leaps to about 75% the performance of a mid-range value discrete card, let's not go nuts here

I know I'm just saying it'd be neat for an HSA built APU or high end Iris iGPU to eliminate the need to buy anything below, say, the future equivalent of a 7950 or 660ti. People who want extreme high end video buy a high end card, like people who want high end audio buy sound cards. Anyone else sticks with both integrated solutions.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I know I'm just saying it'd be neat for an HSA built APU or high end Iris iGPU to eliminate the need to buy anything below, say, the future equivalent of a 7950 or 660ti. People who want extreme high end video buy a high end card, like people who want high end audio buy sound cards. Anyone else sticks with both integrated solutions.
That's not really analogous though, the complexity of generational graphics processing is several orders of magnitude greater than the significant variety in modular sound devices available to consumers.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Sound cards are not high end Audio. To use the graphics analogy they are the AMD integrated graphics to intel's integrated graphics quality wise. They are bought by people just starting to dabble their toes in not poo poo sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpix
Nov 23, 2000

It is my opinion that your favorite anime sucks.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I don't know, never went crossfire or SLI. I've always stuck single cards because of horror stories of messing with profiles and microstutter.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-AMD-Improves-CrossFire-Prototype-Driver

The video of Crysis 3 at the bottom of that page was pretty shocking to watch, at least.

I have a pair of 570s and they are working really well. There was only this one scene in Crysis 3 that hard locked my PC no matter what I did. I had to disable SLI to progress. But most of my other games, like COH2, Neverwinter, all work great with no noticeable microstutter. My previous ATi card on the other hand was pretty bad. Microstutter was very obvious.