Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Dunno if this counts, but a number of chests in Soulflayer Canyon can drop some nice equipment. I don't remember the names of the equipment, but during my first playthrough I recall getting a solid Magic Bow and a longsword/hammer for my Warrior pawn. This was a little after I got to Gran Soren, and was just stumbling around the overworld. I used those two things for quite awhile before they got outpaced by other equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009
I forgot all about Soulflayer Canyon; that's not a bad idea. I can probably survive it at this point, too. Another question; I've never bought any of the item DLC for the game, but supposing I did, do I get it once per save game, or just once, for that specific save?

Edit: Oh. I guess DA comes with the DLC! I'm new to the PS3 version though, and I have no idea how to even get to the DLC shop, so I had no idea. Anyway.

The Mimic fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 28, 2013

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I must be missing something incredibly obvious, but I simply don't know how I can gift items to the Pawns I've rented from the Riftstone. There are no conversation options to do that, so the most I could do was to place an item into a Pawn's inventory, hoping it goes to the owner. I've tried to send a friend request and it generates a message with a PSN name, so I don't think they were a Pawn of an AI, but who knows. I'm also unable to review Pawns I release. Please help :saddowns:

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
Ahh! Actually I found the list here:

quote:

Enemies:
-Made the Ur-Dragon corpse's collision boundary smaller so players can now pick up drop items more easily.
-Undead enemies will now come out of the ground with higher defense stats (super armor mode).
-When Saurians die after being knocked down, they will now use a special death animation for when they are on the ground.
-Goblin Shamans will appear in the Witchwood.
-Eliminators will appear on the Tainted Mountain.
-Pyre Saurians will appear on the Tainted Mountain.
-Golden Knights and Silver Knights will appear in the Everfall (before the destruction of Gran Soren).
-Gorecyclopes (condemned type) will appear in the Shadow Fort.
-Living Armor will appear in the Catacombs.
-Wyverns (strong type) will appear at Bluemoon Tower.
-Wyrms (strong type) will appear at the Watergod's Altar.
-Drakes (strong type) will appear in the Everfall after the destruction of Gran Soren.

I found the Drakes to be the most annoying of the 'strong' dragons by far. During the one fight- the Double Dragon fight in the second time through before the Fallen City, the Wyrm went down pretty quickly in that, and since he still dropped the upgraded dragon parts and did more damage, I could tell he was a 'strong' type. It's the damned new Drakes that have oodles and oodles of HP it seems, though I'm not sure if I fought an upgraded Wyvern yet. And oh, drat-new Arisen are going to get a 'fun' surprise if the new Drakes show up in the Everfall.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Camaro83 posted:

I asked this before release and now that people have had a chance to play DA, I'm curious about performance of the game on each platform. Did performance increase on 360/PS3 compared to vanilla DD? Also, is there a platform that seems to have better overall performance? I've been burned on buying for the wrong platform in the past, so I just want to be sure I make the right choice.
It's improved on PS3. It's pretty noticeable but it still slows down if there's a lot going on the screen. As usual, magic is the big culprit. It never really bothered me so pretty hard to say how bad it can be.

Again, PS3 has VSync always turned on, 360 does not. So you'll get more frame drops in PS3 whereas 360 will just give you screen tears (and more often maintain FPS as a result).

Szurumbur posted:

I must be missing something incredibly obvious, but I simply don't know how I can gift items to the Pawns I've rented from the Riftstone. There are no conversation options to do that, so the most I could do was to place an item into a Pawn's inventory, hoping it goes to the owner. I've tried to send a friend request and it generates a message with a PSN name, so I don't think they were a Pawn of an AI, but who knows. I'm also unable to review Pawns I release. Please help :saddowns:
That is because you're using Pawns from DD instead of DA. Unfortunately you don't get much of a choice in the matter since the game just serves you a block of pawns in the rift, and there are way more DD pawns than DA pawns in the database.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Szurumbur posted:

Apparently you can't gift or review pawns that are from vanilla DD.

Also, do we know for sure that your pawn can be rented by people with vanilla DD? I've only gotten one rent the whole time I have been playing so far.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Szurumbur posted:

This is probably one of two things:

1. You might be in offline mode. Check on the title screen under options.

2. You might be renting pawns from the base game. If they have what looks like a gift box with a red x over it next to their name when you're in the rift, you can't rate or gift to them.

E: too slow

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Is there a way to summon or attract Death? I got a quest to kill him.

Also, sorry for everyone whose pawns keep coming back with no rating or gift. They keep doing stupid stuff like getting petrified, 1HKO'd by Death, home run'd by condemned gorecyclopes, and so forth. I need to look around for a pawn that can cure petrification because seriously this is some bullshit.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Rascyc posted:

That is because you're using Pawns from DD instead of DA. Unfortunately you don't get much of a choice in the matter since the game just serves you a block of pawns in the rift, and there are way more DD pawns than DA pawns in the database.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Apparently you can't gift or review pawns that are from vanilla DD.

Also, do we know for sure that your pawn can be rented by people with vanilla DD? I've only gotten one rent the whole time I have been playing so far.

titties posted:

This is probably one of two things:

1. You might be in offline mode. Check on the title screen under options.

2. You might be renting pawns from the base game. If they have what looks like a gift box with a red x over it next to their name when you're in the rift, you can't rate or gift to them.

E: too slow

Oh, I suppose that's it, I guess I'll make use of the search option instead of choosing the wandering Pawns, this should help. Thanks for the help!

mid83
Oct 15, 2012

Rascyc posted:

It's improved on PS3. It's pretty noticeable but it still slows down if there's a lot going on the screen. As usual, magic is the big culprit. It never really bothered me so pretty hard to say how bad it can be.

Again, PS3 has VSync always turned on, 360 does not. So you'll get more frame drops in PS3 whereas 360 will just give you screen tears (and more often maintain FPS as a result).

I think I'll go 360 then. I'll take screen tearing over framerate drops any day.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Crimson Harvest posted:

Also, sorry for everyone whose pawns keep coming back with no rating or gift. They keep doing stupid stuff like getting petrified, 1HKO'd by Death, home run'd by condemned gorecyclopes, and so forth. I need to look around for a pawn that can cure petrification because seriously this is some bullshit.

Oh, my tinfoil hat says Dark Arisen was made to give the higher-rated pawns more of a challenge to stay higher rated. I really try to abuse that 'Come' command to try to keep them safe but alas, it doesn't always work.

Also: I started making sure all pawns hold a couple of Secret Softeners each, and I keep a couple of Cockatrice Liquors in my own bag.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Crimson Harvest posted:

The best you can do is have some rancid bait meat and kill some stuff to hope he comes. I want to say he can't spawn in every area, like the Duskmoon Tower (area with the moonbeam gem doors), but I'm not 100% sure on that. He seemed to like to spawn in the area with two chained gore cyclopses for me, as well as that dark sewer place with the rift crystal lamps and mini gorecyclopses/wraiths/living armor/evil eye/whatever else.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I'm about to start playing Dark Arisen but with a fresh character. When I'm about to choose "New Game" it says that my old save will be deleted. Does this mean that my vanilla save from the old Dragon's Dogma will be erased as well? Does this mean that the bonus from having a Dragon's Dogma save will only be applicable once or am I just reading too much into this message?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Nahxela posted:

The best you can do is have some rancid bait meat and kill some stuff to hope he comes. I want to say he can't spawn in every area, like the Duskmoon Tower (area with the moonbeam gem doors), but I'm not 100% sure on that. He seemed to like to spawn in the area with two chained gore cyclopses for me, as well as that dark sewer place with the rift crystal lamps and mini gorecyclopses/wraiths/living armor/evil eye/whatever else.

Yeah I've seen him a couple of times in that sewer/waterway area with the blue lamps. That's actually my preferred place to encounter him, because the Ricochet Hunter tears him up good in there. Wish I could buy or make rancid baits.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Sylphosaurus posted:

I'm about to start playing Dark Arisen but with a fresh character. When I'm about to choose "New Game" it says that my old save will be deleted. Does this mean that my vanilla save from the old Dragon's Dogma will be erased as well? Does this mean that the bonus from having a Dragon's Dogma save will only be applicable once or am I just reading too much into this message?

Your Dragon's Dogma save will be left alone. Yes the bonus will only be given once but if you delete your Dark Arisen save from the dashboard/xmb it will give you the bonus again.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Sylphosaurus posted:

No. Dark Arisen will not do anything with your original Dragon's Dogma save other than import it (at least on PS3). If you get stuck in a situation where you don't get the import benefits, delete your Dark Arisen save and let Dark Arisen re-import.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm technology-challenged sometimes and one if those times is now. How should I preserve my current character if I want to start a new game to try something different?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Does being on NG+ affect the difficulty of bitterblack isle at all?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Just finished the Dark Arisen content, the biggest problem for me was pawn stupidity and not being able to dodge gorecyclopses, attacking spectres, or Death's attacks. The latter is particularly annoying since it'd be a very easy fight but it has way too much hp and the pawns refuse to move out of the way of the sleep attack even when I spam come. Is Death weak to anything?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I want to start a new game but that appears to mean deleting all my saved data. If I do this do I still keep the eternal ferrystone in the new game?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Scott Bakula posted:

I want to start a new game but that appears to mean deleting all my saved data. If I do this do I still keep the eternal ferrystone in the new game?

To start a completely new game while still keeping your bonuses, delete all Dark Arisen data from the XMB. It will grab your Dragon's Dogma save when you start it up next, and give you the bonuses.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Since I'm doing Ophis' quests right now on my alt, expect Nier to be particularly fabulous for a while.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sankis posted:

Update what? Just online usage? When I rest at an inn, I just get the "receiving server blah blah" bar.

Could someone try using my Pawn on 360? Her name is Artemis, my ID is Siknas. You don't have to use her long, I just want to see if i get any sort of message when I rest.

I saw her in the rift yesterday and she was level 19, saw her again today and she's 21. I rented her for the Watergods Altar and I promptly got her perma-killed. Oops! Anyway, I ran back out and grabbed her again, hopefully I can keep her alive longer this time, and you can see if you get the ratings and item I send back.

I had a weird things happen with pawn rentals: early on I was trying to replace Rook with a real pawn and selected and summoned a level 6 mage out of the rift, instead of the level 6 however a level 94 mage named Scrote walked out of the mists. My guess is that it was that players vanilla DD pawn somehow.

My character is only 27, but so far I haven't had too much trouble finding pawns to rent, even if a lot of them have terrible inclinations. Ranger with Acquisitor/Guardian? Good job buddy!:thumbsup:

Miijhal posted:

Since I'm doing Ophis' quests right now on my alt, expect Nier to be particularly fabulous for a while.

:lol:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm technology-challenged sometimes and one if those times is now. How should I preserve my current character if I want to start a new game to try something different?

Get a USB stick and copy the save data over. Be warned that your online pawn will be replaced the first time you rest on the new character as well.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Miijhal posted:

That is a fantastic likeness, by the way.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Hm, turns out guards in gran soren do not like it when you pick people up and throw them off rooftops. Had to bribe a guard to get out. Is there any other way to get out? Like in TES games where you just "do the time". I think I saw some skeleton key at the black cat guy as well but I doubt guards will like me very much if I escape.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Torabi posted:

Hm, turns out guards in gran soren do not like it when you pick people up and throw them off rooftops. Had to bribe a guard to get out. Is there any other way to get out? Like in TES games where you just "do the time". I think I saw some skeleton key at the black cat guy as well but I doubt guards will like me very much if I escape.

you can craft skeleton keys out of the pillocks (I forget the name the game uses, the medieval handcuffs) and another item. The needed parts can usually be found in the cell.

If you sneak out, the guards won't care once you get out of the prison.

Spacemarine9
Feb 24, 2013
If you have a skeleton key you can just unlock the door and stroll on out, the guards won't bat an eyelid. If you don't have a skeleton key I think you have to pay the fine.
Skeleton keys can be crafted as well. With a Shackle and a chunk of ore, I think.
e: welp

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mokinokaro posted:

you can craft skeleton keys out of the pillocks (I forget the name the game uses, the medieval handcuffs) and another item. The needed parts can usually be found in the cell.

If you sneak out, the guards won't care once you get out of the prison.

Shackles.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
To use goon pawns, must the goons be on my PS3 friend list?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

To use goon pawns, must the goons be on my PS3 friend list?

If you want them to be free, if they are higher level than you.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
you can also send a friend request through dragons dogma and it sends a nice message :3

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

There's a chest on a ledge in the back stairway to upper Gran Soren that has a skeleton key inside it every time it refills, if you need them but don't have what you need to craft them. It isn't a bad idea to carry a few skeleton keys with you at all times because there are some locked doors out in the world too.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Here's a video demonstrating that when uncursing BBI stuff the resultant item is dependent on your and your pawn's vocation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74g27_Y7ACQ

So if you're hunting for gear for a specific vocation it's a good idea to swap vocations around.

I don't believe this, because I've received Magick Bows and Longbows without being those vocations too. I also got a Longsword in the mix.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Azaael posted:

Ahh! Actually I found the list here:

They also mentioned that's just a partial change list, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a few other surprises and tweaks.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Does anyone know what the new character customization options are? I'm on 360 and have gotten a message on start up that there was a problem with them. Got a new message today that the problem had been resolved so I started a new character out of curiosity (I was still pretty early on), but didnt see anything new. I noticed on the message screen that there's a "character customization preview" option, but I have no idea where that is either. What am I missing?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So there are apparently some Bitterblack notice board quests that can only be done pre Post-game. Where is the noticeboard for Bitterblack? I don't want to explore too much since I'm only level 31 at the moment and will probably get my rear end handed to me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RatHat posted:

So there are apparently some Bitterblack notice board quests that can only be done pre Post-game. Where is the noticeboard for Bitterblack? I don't want to explore too much since I'm only level 31 at the moment and will probably get my rear end handed to me.
It's right behind what's her name.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Well I've defeated my first Bitterback Boss Beastie, and it was a HUGE Beholder, it was actually a pretty lame fight since it didn't do much but wiggle its tentacles at me and cast debuffs on my pawns, it died in seconds when I interrupted its huge attack which was very anti climactic.

Its a better fight than the Super Cyclops and the Really Angry Ogre I saw earlier since those dudes had so much HP it was insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

JoeGlassJAw posted:

Does anyone know what the new character customization options are? I'm on 360 and have gotten a message on start up that there was a problem with them. Got a new message today that the problem had been resolved so I started a new character out of curiosity (I was still pretty early on), but didnt see anything new. I noticed on the message screen that there's a "character customization preview" option, but I have no idea where that is either. What am I missing?

You have to buy it at the DLC store, which as far as I know is only available in-game from whatsherface the NPC lady at Bitterblack Isle. There's two new hairstyles, one of which is the hair that she has. I think it mentioned new hair colors too, but I can never remember how many there are to begin with. Once you buy you have to exit to the main menu to have the new options show up in the game. Presumably you can then go to the barber in Gran Soren and see the new styles there, I used the character/pawn customization item from the Pawn encampment, since I wanted to tweak both my PC and Pawn.

The preview pack is free and just so you can see the new options if any pawns you hire happen to have them without buying them yourself.

e: I think she might have mentioned something about rings too? I haven't seen anything new in my inventory though, either I'm misremembering or they are hidden somewhere I haven't looked yet.

• Locked thread