Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Gyges posted:

Other than wanting to get as much of the manga animated as possible, the pacing of the anime is so far superior to the manga. This beginning part of the manga flew by so fast that a lot of manga people are just now catching things that they missed, thanks to the anime. The 4 episodes so far have just covered the first 3 chapters, so it's only slightly slower.

They've covered way more than the first three chapters. It's just in a different order in the manga, all the training stuff is a flashback later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I guess next episode is going to be cool, but I just hope they explain that drat bolt of lightning teleportation because it was rather jarring to see.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Yeah I'm really enjoying the pacing of the anime a lot better. I can recognize characters better this time but I'm sure part of it is because I'm caught up on the manga so I have an idea how poo poo's going to happen. They haven't gone over some stuff they explained in the manga like backstory stuff, but they've hinted at it and it's likely going to be brought up again in full.

I don't mind the poorly drawn stills, I didn't really notice it until they were brought up in the thread. I just noticed the nice animation during action scenes and the really awesome painted backgrounds. The artists really like their awesome skies and clouds!

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

I noticed back in the first episode that the colossal titan appeared after that bolt of lightning hit just outside the wall. I was guessing that the lightning must have struck a normal titan and caused it to grow large, or something. I have to guess that it was the same thing this time, and it wasn't some sort of teleportation or whatever. The colossal titan always appears OUTSIDE the wall, never anywhere else. Otherwise it could just teleport anywhere at any time. It is a bit strange how quickly it kind of popped up... but there's obviously some magic bullshit going on here. That's why I don't believe the titans were the result of some genetic experiment, there's too much otherwordly stuff going on.

Edit: The first colossal titan totally vanished a minute after it appeared. We never saw what happened with the armored titan, but it never went around smashing any more walls so it could have disappeared as well. I'm guessing something's picking and choosing certain titans to get temporary power ups at certain times.

Torix fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 28, 2013

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Torix posted:

I noticed back in the first episode that the colossal titan appeared after that bolt of lightning hit just outside the wall. I was guessing that the lightning must have struck a normal titan and caused it to grow large, or something. I have to guess that it was the same thing this time, and it wasn't some sort of teleportation or whatever. The colossal titan always appears OUTSIDE the wall, never anywhere else. Otherwise it could just teleport anywhere at any time. It is a bit strange how quickly it kind of popped up... but there's obviously some magic bullshit going on here. That's why I don't believe the titans were the result of some genetic experiment, there's too much otherwordly stuff going on.

Edit: The first colossal titan totally vanished a minute after it appeared. We never saw what happened with the armored titan, but it never went around smashing any more walls so it could have disappeared as well. I'm guessing something's picking and choosing certain titans to get temporary power ups at certain times.

That is some Rita Repulsa level poo poo you are suggesting there, and it makes me wonder if the titans came from the moon.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Torix posted:

No way, they would have seen a normal titan coming before it transformed into a big guy. I'm guessing its some science poo poo from whatever happened before humanity hid inside the wall and it is just way more advanced

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Centzon Totochtin posted:

That is some Rita Repulsa level poo poo you are suggesting there, and it makes me wonder if the titans came from the moon.

What if.........this "planet" is actually TITAN, Jupiter's moon?? MAKES YOU THINK! :aaa:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Don't forget the massive billow of steam after ol' skinless appeared that blasted our heroes off the wall.

Yep, it's no animation error - weird poo poo be going on.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I guess I'm the only one who likes the one-frame teleportation. Yeah, it was jarring and weird, but in a good way. I went full :stare: in a split second.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The bolt is actually delivering a beacon for the Colossus to teleport to. It'd explain the delay between the bolt and Colossus' appearance. It's obvious there's some weird poo poo going on. The disconnect between society and some of the tools/equipment shown makes me believe they're cribbing of a previous civilization wiped by Titans long ago.

Kinda like Mass Effect where civilization reaches a certain level then gets curb stomped into oblivion. Except in this case, remnants of the previous purge remained and so this civilization had time to build the walls and protect themselves. So whatever controls the titans had to make changes, shown by the Colossus and Armored titans making their appearance a century or so later.

Those 2 titans however seems to run off something other that people. They seem to serve very specific purpose and nothing more. They breach a wall and then go back to recharge or whatever.

Finally, Sasha is way creepier than any Titan.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Terper posted:

I guess I'm the only one who likes the one-frame teleportation. Yeah, it was jarring and weird, but in a good way. I went full :stare: in a split second.

Don't worry, I agree. They couldn't have done it better.

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

Davincie posted:

No way, they would have seen a normal titan coming before it transformed into a big guy. I'm guessing its some science poo poo from whatever happened before humanity hid inside the wall and it is just way more advanced

Near the beginning of the first episode, titans are shown to be lazily hanging around the outside of the wall, half-heartedly grabbing at it, or otherwise just pacing around. I doubt they raise an alarm for every titan that's spotted outside the wall, because they're totally expected to be there, and we haven't seen anyone attempting to repel any approaching normal titans before (except for when the wall broke).

Terper posted:

I liked it. And I'm sure there's a reason for it being so.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Apotheosis posted:

Goddamn this show. :allears:

"Mankind's counterattack begins now!" "HA HA gently caress YOU"

I loved that aspect of it so much. The Sasha clip just before that was some outstanding levels of creepy; I was a bit disappointed with the animation in the forest training section but at the end of the day they hit all the important notes. Eren picking up Annie's kicking so fast is an excellent scene about how he is just loving determined to improve himself, and the scene with Haneth was a nice reunion. What a way to end the episode though, a virtually flawless "gently caress you and your naive ideals".

Attack on Titan: Imagine a boot repeatedly stomping on the face of humanity, forever. :black101:

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
I'm completely fine with the still frames are poor art during the quieter scenes if it means a bigger portion of the budget is going to be spent on the major battles of the show and trust me, this series is chocked full of major battles.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Torix posted:

Near the beginning of the first episode, titans are shown to be lazily hanging around the outside of the wall, half-heartedly grabbing at it, or otherwise just pacing around. I doubt they raise an alarm for every titan that's spotted outside the wall, because they're totally expected to be there, and we haven't seen anyone attempting to repel any approaching normal titans before (except for when the wall broke).

All I know is that this time there obviously was no titan there before it appeared, I rewatched the sequence focusing on the exterior shots of which there were quite a few and no titans in sight, just some peaceful houses. Interesting as well was that the smoke/dust mostly went outward instead of towards the walls.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATb87inKC9E

In glorious HD for your enjoyment.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Indian music videos are always so over the top it makes everything else look bad.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Davincie posted:

All I know is that this time there obviously was no titan there before it appeared, I rewatched the sequence focusing on the exterior shots of which there were quite a few and no titans in sight, just some peaceful houses. Interesting as well was that the smoke/dust mostly went outward instead of towards the walls.
There wasn't any establishing shot of the exterior base of the wall. If they were like that first scene any titans around would have been impotently pawing at the base of the wall.

That's the point of these cities in little lumps of wall outside the main wall- titans know there are a lot of humans in there, somehow, and they attract all the titans in the area.

I love this story so much. That transition from "Humanity has regained its dignity!" to... that, was so crushing and sudden. Like a roller coaster working its way up to a peak and just... dropping, and suddenly everything's weightless and terrifying.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

Eiba posted:

There wasn't any establishing shot of the exterior base of the wall. If they were like that first scene any titans around would have been impotently pawing at the base of the wall.

That's the point of these cities in little lumps of wall outside the main wall- titans know there are a lot of humans in there, somehow, and they attract all the titans in the area.

I love this story so much. That transition from "Humanity has regained its dignity!" to... that, was so crushing and sudden. Like a roller coaster working its way up to a peak and just... dropping, and suddenly everything's weightless and terrifying.

Probably the biggest theme in the series is kicking humanity square in the balls as soon as it thinks it gains the upper hand or when things are finally looking up.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

re:titan theories

I am perfectly ok with the anime never explaining anything about the titans, and just have them be this incomprehensible force of nature that humanity could never hope to understand, just watch in horror while it devours themEREN CURBSTOMPS EVERY LAST ONE OF THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS :black101:

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Rexides posted:

re:titan theories

I am perfectly ok with the anime never explaining anything about the titans, and just have them be this incomprehensible force of nature that humanity could never hope to understand, just watch in horror while it devours themEREN CURBSTOMPS EVERY LAST ONE OF THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS :black101:

I'd be totally cool with this too (I have no idea if it ever gets explained, as I stopped reading the manga when the anime started).

I don't know if the art in the manga gets better, but the rough art early on is why I started watching the anime. Also the maneuver gear stuff looks much cooler in motion than still.

Oh god, this syncs so well. Crunchyroll should splice this into the intro for a random episode just to troll its viewers.

thetrin fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 28, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Azzents posted:

I'm completely fine with the still frames are poor art during the quieter scenes if it means a bigger portion of the budget is going to be spent on the major battles of the show and trust me, this series is chocked full of major battles.

I imagine that it has the same circumstances as so many anime do nowadays; that the art is rushed for some scenes but they're gonna fix it up a bit for the blu-rays.

Unknownone
Apr 23, 2003

Some stupid 04 bought me this
I noticed Hannes and his friends badges swapped between recon corps and wall minders inbetween shots, which was a bit jarring.

Other than that, amazing ending!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
For those of you not too familiar with anime production, they're generally speaking making these episodes as the episodes are airing: that is, they are trying to complete a few episodes past where we are when we're watching it. This leads to errors and corner cutting often, but typically they will clean up and reanimate it then for the DVD/BD, which they want people to be purchasing anyways since that's how they make money.

It sounds like they've hired more animation staff though due to the popularity.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
Just finished watching episode 4. What a way to end an episode! I was hoping it wouldn't end on such a saccharine note, and it ended perfectly. Good god, the music in the show is fantastic, too. At this point, I'm definitely in for the long haul.

Is the manga worth reading concurrently, or should I just stick to the anime at this point?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

thetrin posted:

Just finished watching episode 4. What a way to end an episode! I was hoping it wouldn't end on such a saccharine note, and it ended perfectly. Good god, the music in the show is fantastic, too. At this point, I'm definitely in for the long haul.

Is the manga worth reading concurrently, or should I just stick to the anime at this point?

The anime aired some chapters that are a bit later on in the manga. Episode 3 and most of episodes 2 and 4 were after what should be the next two or so episodes.

If you want to read the manga at the same pace as the anime, I'd wait a few more weeks.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

thetrin posted:

Most of the stuff that's happened in the anime now is a flashback in the manga after a lot of other stuff has happened, trying to watch them side by side would be extremely difficult at best and probably lead to spoilers from the manga assuming you know stuff from the pre-flashback scenes that the anime hasn't had yet.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
So how many episodes before we have enough material to make a Sasha Eating food/Thinking of food OP?

thetrin
May 4, 2009

ActionZero posted:

Most of the stuff that's happened in the anime now is a flashback in the manga after a lot of other stuff has happened, trying to watch them side by side would be extremely difficult at best and probably lead to spoilers from the manga assuming you know stuff from the pre-flashback scenes that the anime hasn't had yet.

Fine by me. I tend to gravitate towards manga over anime, but this is the kind of show I'd rather watch than read. I'll drop the manga and probably return to it when the anime is deeper in or done.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Given that the anime is only going to be 25ish episodes and the manga is very unfinished you'll probably have to resort to manga eventually anyway.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

RuBisCO posted:

GOT IT COACH.

Connie was goofing off, but I'm pretty sure Sasha was being deadly serious with her crane style there :allears:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
EDIT: Deleted to be safe.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Zorak posted:

For those of you not too familiar with anime production, they're generally speaking making these episodes as the episodes are airing: that is, they are trying to complete a few episodes past where we are when we're watching it. This leads to errors and corner cutting often, but typically they will clean up and reanimate it then for the DVD/BD, which they want people to be purchasing anyways since that's how they make money.

It sounds like they've hired more animation staff though due to the popularity.

So does this mean if they realise they have a good thing here they can still opt for a Season 2 instead of an anime only ending?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
jesus christ erin is channeling some hardcore burning shounen passion

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Amstrad posted:

More Sasha

Edit: Beaten, sorta!

honestly sasha should take to trip to the gourmet world.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

thetrin posted:

I don't know if the art in the manga gets better, but the rough art early on is why I started watching the anime. Also the maneuver gear stuff looks much cooler in motion than still.

The main artist gradually improves at drawing people over the years the series has run and about 20-25 chapters in you can tell that they gave him some an extra assistant or two to help draw in the backgrounds. Before then most of his backgrounds are sketchy at best if they're not the focus of the scene with lots of panels that are just left blank, after then they're top notch. Agreed on the 3D maneuver gear either way, can't wait to see some of the scenes later on animated.

Zahki posted:

So does this mean if they realise they have a good thing here they can still opt for a Season 2 instead of an anime only ending?

The show's already been written through at least 22 episodes but there's no particular reason to believe there'll be an anime-only ending yet soooo~

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

Mio Bison posted:

The show's already been written through at least 22 episodes but there's no particular reason to believe there'll be an anime-only ending yet soooo~

It's a double edged sword. Either we get an anime only ending and that'll be the end of a great series or we'll get a second season a year or two down the line while we wait for the manga to pummel through.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Attack on Rugrats

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Azzents posted:

It's a double edged sword. Either we get an anime only ending and that'll be the end of a great series or we'll get a second season a year or two down the line while we wait for the manga to pummel through.

Anime only endings aren't always terrible. There was also Trigun. And... uh... I'm sure something will come to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Zahki posted:

The main issue that would lead to an anime-original ending is the rate at which the manga is produced vs the rate the anime is produced. The manga comes out on a monthly basis. Episodes of the anime come out at a weekly basis, and cover multiple chapters at once. Either they have a second season years from now or they try to do something else to conclude this first season.

The chance of them just going "ok middle of the action aaaand scene" is unlikely.

It's either that or we get into the Dragon Ball Z territory, except even worse: filler filler filler filler filler pad pad pad pad pad pad. Or Naruto which had like two years of episodes that had nothing to do with anything.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 29, 2013

• Locked thread