Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm loving the 70s/80s retro styling. I also want one, and I wouldn't even have the licence for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

HotCanadianChick posted:

Or you could buy a well-kept used luxury car for $8-10k, put $4k worth of work into upkeep/new tires/regular maintenance over 5 years, and you'll have spent five years driving a nice car instead of a Yaris for the same money.

Exactly. I couldn't even have bought the cheapest new car* for what I paid for my used car, and I got leather interior, aircon, Clarion stereo+Harman/Kardon speakers, rain-sensing wipers, all that jazz. Plus like a million times better ride comfort than any small car can provide. It's been very inexpensive to maintain so far, as well.

* Brand new Ford Ka is the cheapest car available right now around here, at ~$12225. I paid ~$9600 for my French motorway muncher extraordinaire.

Buying a new car is for suckers. Been there, done that. Never doing it again.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Depends on what you're using it for - sometimes a small economical car is better than something larger and comfier.

My V35 Skyline isn't particularly large or uneconomical (probably similar to a V6 406) but its definitely a pain in the arse for inner city usage, especially parking.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Read about a new car you like? Nope, let's talk about how I hate new cars!

New 4Runner

Not that the old one was bad looking but I actually really like the new front end treatment. A pleasant surprise from Toyota.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

Buying a new car is for suckers. Been there, done that. Never doing it again.

Used car prices here in the US have been jacked up for a few years now. Like jacked enough that I saw used cars listing for more than new ones of the same model. I wouldn't have bought new if it weren't for that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Throatwarbler posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Read about a new car you like? Nope, let's talk about how I hate new cars!

New 4Runner

Not that the old one was bad looking but I actually really like the new front end treatment. A pleasant surprise from Toyota.

How can they make such great trucks and SUVs, and yet when it comes to cars, they just pump out boring poo poo after boring poo poo?

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

PT6A posted:

How can they make such great trucks and SUVs, and yet when it comes to cars, they just pump out boring poo poo after boring poo poo?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PT6A posted:

The truck and SUV market is filled with people who want something interesting and distinctive. The car market is filled with people who want something thoroughly inoffensive and bland.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

I like it a lot, it looks like how I imagine the Forester should. They made Subarus into Toyotas and Toyotas into Subarus.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

oRenj9 posted:

They made Subarus into Toyotas and Toyotas into Subarus.
Am I the only one who noticed the front-end styling cues in the 90s?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

fknlo posted:

Used car prices here in the US have been jacked up for a few years now. Like jacked enough that I saw used cars listing for more than new ones of the same model. I wouldn't have bought new if it weren't for that.

:psyduck:

How didn't the used car market completely collapse on itself? Or did it actually collapse, and I was just unaware?

I'm guessing Cash For Clunkers had something to do with it, too.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

PT6A posted:

How is that SUV any less boring than a Corolla or Camry?

InitialDave posted:

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

:psyduck:

How didn't the used car market completely collapse on itself? Or did it actually collapse, and I was just unaware?

I'm guessing Cash For Clunkers had something to do with it, too.

The new car market collapsed, leading to a scarcity of used models available on lots, leading to price increases.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

AdmiralViscen posted:

The new car market collapsed, leading to a scarcity of used models available on lots, leading to price increases.

This is most definitely noticeable in Craigslist. For example 6 years ago you could hop on Craigslist and find $1,000 deals all day long. Now? Good luck finding anything under $2,500 that doesn't have "Everything works great except engine/transmission/something else that would cost more than the car to replace, which needs to be fixed."

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

AdmiralViscen posted:

And Cash For Clunkers happened at the same time so THANKS OBAMA :911:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

oRenj9 posted:

I like it a lot, it looks like how I imagine the Forester should. They made Subarus into Toyotas and Toyotas into Subarus.

That was exactly my reaction: smaller and lower with a little more glass instead of C-pillar and you have perhaps my ideal Forester XT. (Though to be fair to the newest Foresters, they look better in person than they do in press photos, for some reason. Maybe the lower angles in the photos make them look taller than they actually are?)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

The best thing about new cars is that in a few years people who are smarter with their money can buy them as used cars. And every time a new model appears, it makes used examples of the outgoing model that much cheaper. New cars are awesome.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

dissss posted:

How is that SUV any less boring than a Corolla or Camry?

The styling is more aggressive (and more attractive to me, personally), and it would be fun as gently caress to take off-road (assuming you don't mind doing that with an expensive new SUV). It has a proper 4WD system instead of lovely AWD and/or FWD. It's simply less boring and generic.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

HotCanadianChick posted:

The best thing about new cars is that in a few years people who are smarter with their money can buy them as used cars.
No, just people with different priorities. Sometimes it's nice to have a new car.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

HotCanadianChick posted:

The best thing about new cars is that in a few years people who are smarter with their money can buy them as used cars. And every time a new model appears, it makes used examples of the outgoing model that much cheaper. New cars are awesome.

If youre shopping for appliance type vehicles then what you say definitely rings true.

Ive looked at buying 2008 s2000s and 2006/7 stis and i cannot stomach paying so much for a used car. The owners probably abuse the poo poo out of them and on top of it i have no warranty, random dings here and there, and a car thats been on the street seen by everyone for 5+ years.

2011 Mustang gt? seller knocks off a measely $1k off their cars invoice price and acts like thats an amazing deal when their car has 15,000 miles on it and is quickly approaching no warranty status.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Yeah, used cars are in general a better deal, but no way I'd buy something like an sti or evo used. If I'm going to be impractical and buy a flashy luxury good by buying something like that in the first place, I'm going to go all the way.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

PT6A posted:

The styling is more aggressive (and more attractive to me, personally), and it would be fun as gently caress to take off-road (assuming you don't mind doing that with an expensive new SUV). It has a proper 4WD system instead of lovely AWD and/or FWD. It's simply less boring and generic.

Personally I think this looks far more interesting.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

dissss posted:

Personally I think this looks far more interesting.

Wish the US got that.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
What car is that?

Anyway chiming in on the new vs old car chat I get that it's financially a bad idea to get a new car. Still, I like to have car where I know I'm the only owner and thus have sole responsibility for anything that happens to it. Not to mention I keep my cars until they're dead so I don't really worry about depreciation either.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's a bad financial idea to spend money because when you spend money you have less money left over! Oh no!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Different people value their purchases differently? Unthinkable!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

kill me now posted:

It is stupid to put $4k down on a lease because if your car gets totaled you won't get any of that money back. Your insurance pays off the lease company for the buyout value and pays nothing to you. You're then stuck coming up with a downpayment for your next lease if you want to keep the same payments on the new car.

Always do the minimum due at signing on a lease unless you like having a big chunk of your overall vehicle expense uninsured. Just understand that while the monthly payment will be higher the overall cost over the lease term will be within a few hundred dollars.
I think it depends on what kind of insurance you have. My sister had her leased Jeep totaled a few years ago and the insurance company paid off the lease and gave her the down payment back which she used towards her next car.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

DerDestroyer posted:

What car is that?
Toyota Auris. North America gets the Matrix instead.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mr. Apollo posted:

Though we do get the Lexus CT, which is based on the Auris.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Cream_Filling posted:

Though we do get the Lexus CT, which is based on the Auris.

You are correct, sir.

E: but the CT is basically an upscale electric Matrix.
Or at least uses the same platform.

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 29, 2013

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

Its still a Corolla in AU/NZ, Auris most of the rest of the world

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The used car market became inflated because of a few different reasons. First was C4C, hundreds of thousands of lovely used cars were taken off the market. This wasn't that terrible of a thing because most of those cars were garbage, but this created a spillover into the salvage market. Salvage dealers suddenly had lower stocks to choose from when it came to parting out cars, so instead of barely running junkers, they moved on to running cheap cars that people could actually still drive.

The second part of it is the economic collapse. One of the effects of loss of credit is less new car loans being issued, but mainly a total stoppage of leases. A large segment of the used car market is off-lease vehicles, lightly used 2 to 3 year old cars. Only recently have car manufacturers started leasing cars again, and they are just now hitting the market. Included in this is rental fleets, who instead of turning over their stocks every 6 months to a year, or between 15k to 30k miles, held onto them for over a year. It hasn't been surprising to get an Enterprise or Hertz car into my auction with 50k miles being two years old.

There's a ton of reasons why the used car market blew up, and it's going to be another 18 to 24 months before it calms back down.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
New car loan terms are also extending further into the 5-6-7 year range which is encouraging / forcing people to keep their new whips longer.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
It cost me a net after incentives of $1200 to buy a brand new Toyota Sienna over a 3 year old one with 30K miles. Yes I have a bitchin mini van. Now I got the new one for super cheap, but the used car guy knows they are going to get a sucker to buy that junk so they won't budge. I tried 15 different dealers all the same. Would not budge. They all said they would use the hey it is stupid to buy new, buy this one instead old wives tale line. So shop around. Also spending money is stupid. You should die with a giant pile of gold under your bed so your terminal care physicians can buy 150K Porsches.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

New car loan terms are also extending further into the 5-6-7 year range which is encouraging / forcing people to keep their new whips longer.
There's companies offering a 9 year loans.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

There's companies offering a 9 year loans.

The local dodge dealer here also sells RVs and trailers. they had a deal with a dodge ram and a 18 foot travel trailer for $500/month. The truck was financed over 84 months, the trailer was financed over 20 years.

20 years at 4.99% on a $18,000 trailer that will be worth $9,000 the second they sign the papers. How does somebody this bad with money get a loan?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah, used cars are in general a better deal, but no way I'd buy something like an sti or evo used. If I'm going to be impractical and buy a flashy luxury good by buying something like that in the first place, I'm going to go all the way.

They also hold their value. I paid $24.5 for a new WRX and traded it 18 months and 17,000 miles later for 22k. The dealer promptly sold it for $24.5 again. People are weird.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Powershift posted:

How does somebody this bad with money get a loan?

Because it makes the people giving them the loan a lot of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

sanchez posted:

They also hold their value. I paid $24.5 for a new WRX and traded it 18 months and 17,000 miles later for 22k. The dealer promptly sold it for $24.5 again. People are weird.

My nearly 12 year old WRX still somehow has a KBB value somewhere around $6.5k - $7k. That kind of blows my mind a bit.