Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

clockwork chaos posted:

Homestucks will dress up for any place where people wear costumes.

Let me guess, there's never any Problem Sleuths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

McPantserton posted:

Looks amazing! I love those contacts, I think they really add to the look. Kinda just want a wig like that around for fun, too. Give her a fistbump for me for looking badass, please.

It is very well done.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Phy posted:

Let me guess, there's never any Problem Sleuths.

I want someone to cosplay as Ace Dick, trying to cosplay as somebody else. His imagination is just too lovely to make it work, though.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah there isn't a whole ton of problem sleuth cosplay, but here's some from a cursory googling.

Pickle Inspector and PS if I recall correctly.

One of the midnight crew and one of the frumpy dames

One of the inspectors?

Hysterical Dame being all hysterical

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I've delved into pretty much every dark corner of the internet and I barely learned what Homestuck was last week. Why the hell is a webcomic so popular?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I've delved into pretty much every dark corner of the internet and I barely learned what Homestuck was last week. Why the hell is a webcomic so popular?

It's a comic about teenagers having adventures, chatting online and doing epic poo poo with aliens in a simple, brightly-colored style. And tumblr exists.

There's your answer.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

It's really well done and while the art is simple the story is pretty well written and fantastical. Also it has a large cast of interesting and mostly unique characters both human, alien, ghost, and monster. I used to read it until it got really boring for me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also it had a mild interactive element as you could suggest what the characters would do next.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Action-Bastard posted:

It's really well done and while the art is simple the story is pretty well written and fantastical. Also it has a large cast of interesting and mostly unique characters both human, alien, ghost, and monster. I used to read it until it got really boring for me.

The webcomic is TOO slow paced...for my personal tastes. I lost interest really quickly after reading page after page waiting for the "awesome" stuff everyone talks about. I too don't understand why the tremendous popularity.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

muscles like this? posted:

Also it had a mild interactive element as you could suggest what the characters would do next.

That element was gone long before the crazy teenagers found the comic.

The key thing to understand about Homestuck's fandom is that it's nearly a completely separate beast to Homestuck itself. They share the same characters, but most of the crazy Homestuck fandom latched onto the vibrant, silly characters that were takes on people we're familiar with from the internet. Most all of this came through when the trolls turned up.

The thing is: That's where most of the links between the crazy Homestuck fans and Homestuck itself end. The worst parts of Homestuck's fandom don't care about what's gone on in the story since the trolls were introduced. They don't care that most of them are dead, almost all the rest are crazy, and all of them are in some way terrible people, because they barely actually read the comic. Hell, lots of them don't read the comic anymore, and a fair chunk of them never have.

I don't know anything else in the world where the fandom is as completely separate from the base content itself than Homestuck. There's missing the comic's themes and subtext, and there's completely ignoring the actual text.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I first discovered how weird the Homestuck fandom was when I was listening to a song on tindeck and noticed that all the links at the bottom were to weird recordings of people reading or acting out their weird fanfiction. Before that, I thought they were just people that really liked a comic about candycorn demons or something.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Homestuck is a thing which manages to worm its way into every thread and cause horrible, horrible derails.

Sup?

Dude, I'm like, in space, man.
http://i.imgur.com/UXHJfyh.jpg (spoilers for the end of Yume Nikki)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I first discovered how weird the Homestuck fandom was when I was listening to a song on tindeck and noticed that all the links at the bottom were to weird recordings of people reading or acting out their weird fanfiction. Before that, I thought they were just people that really liked a comic about candycorn demons or something.
Tindeck's front page:

I haven't listened to anything Homestuck inspired on it. That's just the way it usually looks.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shima Honnou posted:

Not pictured: probably 10 people dressed as ponies.

There weren't any luckily and I only spotted a single fedora.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Boiled Water posted:

There weren't any luckily and I only spotted a single fedora.

Oh no. That means you were surrounded by stealth Bronies. :ohdear:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Action-Bastard posted:

The art being simple is a selling point for Homestuck readers, as their fan art doesn't look wildly different to the originals.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Neil Gaiman just posted these to his Tumblr. The most :3: Delirium.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Came across this group at Fanime, I think '06 or '07.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Action-Bastard posted:

This is not the loving homestuck thread shut up.

All y'all circle jerking about how awful homestuck people are can also shut up.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Cleretic posted:

I don't know anything else in the world where the fandom is as completely separate from the base content itself than Homestuck.

How much do you know about the TF2 fandom? My understanding is that an enormous proportion of it is very similar to what you describe, particularly the more artistic side of things. Lots of fanart and stories about Scout-sama kissing Spy-kun, with no real interest in the original game or even the original characterizations involved.

More power to 'em, obviously, but it does seem a bit odd from the outside.

(found by googling 'tf2 cosplay')

Apologies if this was covered earlier.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Some more shots from the Trek convention on New Jersey this weekend, taken by a photographer I met at the show:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

That man looks so close to Wesley Crusher that I want to punch him through my monitor.

Which means that it was a pretty successful costume, I guess...

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Random Stranger posted:

That man looks so close to Wesley Crusher that I want to punch him through my monitor.

Those folks got a cute photo with Gates McFadden.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Pretty drat good Rockso.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pandasmores posted:

Pretty drat good Rockso.

Cant see the outline of his wang 0/10

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Random Stranger posted:

He's gonna look like Carl Sagan when he gets older.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

source

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Hah, looks like I wasn't the only one in this thread at C2E2 on Saturday.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
That's a great Wilfred.

Forti
May 5, 2009

!

Hrrmnn

A little something for the ladies?

What a thriiiilll

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think this is one of those times where I wish I was gay as hell

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is he wearing a mask or a lot of make-up? Something looks odd about it.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

ufarn posted:

Is he wearing a mask or a lot of make-up? Something looks odd about it.

I'm gonna go with photoshop finishing the picture, smoothing out skin/blemishes, etc.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

It looks like a lot of highlighting and shading, to give him an airbrushed/CGI look. I've seen makeup like that in person, it's pretty impressive.

It might still be photoshop, but I've seen people do makeup that looked that good.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

This one'd make a decent Brienne of Tarth, I think.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Aatrek posted:

Some more shots from the Trek convention on New Jersey this weekend, taken by a photographer I met at the show:

Women of Star Trek

OK, maybe my eyes are just going in my old age, but a lot of these women look alike (the woman in the red dress and the Bajoran below her specifically). Or maybe I'm an idiot.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

CzarChasm posted:

OK, maybe my eyes are just going in my old age, but a lot of these women look alike (the woman in the red dress and the Bajoran below her specifically). Or maybe I'm an idiot.

No. They are clearly the same woman.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

close ups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but sadly Comics Alliance has been closed down. And with that also comes the end of their weekly Best Cosplay Ever feature: quite possibly the best source of sweet cosplay pics :smith:

Benny the Snake has a new favorite as of 07:33 on Apr 30, 2013

• Locked thread