Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ivy Bridge runs hotter than Sandy Bridge, so if anything a 2012 Air should be hotter than a 2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

vlack posted:

I just bought a 13" rMBP that came with a power adapter that says it's "16.5V".

I have an older power adapter (and a newly-purchased MagSafe2 converter) for a 2008 15" MBP that says it's "18V" or "18.5V", I forget. (It's at home and I'm at a coffee shop right now.)

It is my understanding that the computer needs to explicitly support whatever voltage the power brick puts out. Is that correct?

Is there a way to tell whether my new rMBP will be damaged by the higher-voltage adapter from my old MBP? Apple has a tech specs page for my rMBP, but it doesn't even mention the voltage on that page, so the only info I have is printed on the power adapter that came with it.

Obviously I am hoping that I can use my old power adapter, but I don't want to damage my new machine or gently caress up its battery.

That's exactly what the adapter was designed to be used with.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Can anyone recommend a good case/cover for the Retina MBP that can dissipate or block heat? At this rate it is my primary dealbreaker.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

yellowjournalism posted:

Can anyone recommend a good case/cover for the Retina MBP that can dissipate or block heat? At this rate it is my primary dealbreaker.

http://www.speckproducts.com/macbook-cases/macbook-pro-with-retina-display.html

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

yellowjournalism posted:

If you 'block' heat the laptop won't be able to cool down.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Bob Morales posted:

If you 'block' heat the laptop won't be able to cool down.

That's exactly why I'm wary of all these covers/cases people say will "block" the heat... doesn't that just trap it?

So what happens? Do they just end up increasing internal and felt temperature? Or is felt-heat reduced because it's blocked, and the laptop's internal heat merely dissipates slower?

I realize it seems like a lot of question asking but it's exactly because I got two conflicting responses back-to-back that I'm really curious what people think about these.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

yellowjournalism posted:

That's exactly why I'm wary of all these covers/cases people say will "block" the heat... doesn't that just trap it?

So what happens? Do they just end up increasing internal and felt temperature? Or is felt-heat reduced because it's blocked, and the laptop's internal heat merely dissipates slower?

I realize it seems like a lot of question asking but it's exactly because I got two conflicting responses back-to-back that I'm really curious what people think about these.

You're adding a layer that insulates the aluminium body that is designed to conduct heat. Your Macbook will get hotter.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

KillerMojo posted:

You're adding a layer that insulates the aluminium body that is designed to conduct heat. Your Macbook will get hotter.

Which will slow it down, damage it or both. Heat is an issue with My 2011 MBA 13 and my 2012 RMBP 15, sorry. I use little laptop tables when I use them in my lap. It simulates a hard table surface and insulates me.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

KillerMojo posted:

What's the consensus on "Invisible Shleid" material + heating? I've always used it to protect the aluminum and make the Macbook less slippery (full body and palm rest - no trackpad application). Use it on my wife's 15" and my 15" retina. Don't notice much difference but always wonder if the rubberized sticker is hampering the heat distribution....

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Stick100 posted:

Which will slow it down, damage it or both. Heat is an issue with My 2011 MBA 13 and my 2012 RMBP 15, sorry. I use little laptop tables when I use them in my lap. It simulates a hard table surface and insulates me.

Are those little "tables" portable? Got a link?

Yeah the 2012 rMBP was pretty hot when I handled it in the store. 2012 MBA 13 was much cooler though so I'm really really curious if someone can compare between that and the 2011.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

yellowjournalism posted:

Are those little "tables" portable? Got a link?

Yeah the 2012 rMBP was pretty hot when I handled it in the store. 2012 MBA 13 was much cooler though so I'm really really curious if someone can compare between that and the 2011.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-939-000181-Portable-Lapdesk-N315/dp/B002NTADVW/ref=sr_1_13?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1366916286&sr=1-13

I got a pair similar to that from woot for $20 total I believe.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Hey Guys, hopefully someone might be able to point me in the right direction. My brother is having problems with his machine constantly crashing. He's running 10.8.3.
He gets a black screen, then just restarts saying "it restarted because of a problem." He's done a clean install apparently.

If anyone could shed any light on what it could be, i'd be really thankful!
Specs are below:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0F
SMC Version (system): 1.58f17
Serial Number (system): (edited out)
Hardware UUID: (edited out)
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

the_lion fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 27, 2013

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't think Retina Airs are coming this year. In fact, I think they'll be just about the last ones to be upgraded to retina, since it requires so many compromises at this point. I also wouldn't be surprised if we don't see any new retina products this year. Retina TB Displays and iMacs are probably too cost prohibitive right now.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nut Bunnies posted:

I don't think Retina Airs are coming this year. In fact, I think they'll be just about the last ones to be upgraded to retina, since it requires so many compromises at this point. I also wouldn't be surprised if we don't see any new retina products this year. Retina TB Displays and iMacs are probably too cost prohibitive right now.
I'm hoping they expand the retina MBP line down to include an 11", I'd get the MBA but the resolution is too low for me.

...hell if I know how/if the MBA and MBP would fit in the lineup pricing wise at that point though, particularly if they bring pricing down on the 13" and 15" retina models (like they've done with other initially high priced products). I guess they'd just kill off the old MBP style at that point.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Guys, I have 99 problems, and they're all hard-drive related.

My MacBook refused to turn on this afternoon after being off all day. After booting into Mountain Lion's recovery console and checking the disk, I started getting errors about "Invalid node structure", and that my hard drive couldn't be repaired. This itself isn't a huge issue as I have backups, though I did track down a second spare external and made a copy then using Disk Utility (which also ended up with the same node structure error, so I'm guessing my actual HDD is fine.)

The real trouble started when I tried to restore from a Time Machine backup. I have two partitions on my TM drive, and my backup partition is password-protected. When I tried to restore from that partition, OS X only offered to restore to the other partition -- as if it couldn't read my internal HDD at all. Fine, I thought, and tried to erase the disk -- which obviously it couldn't do, as it was mounted. So I booted from a Snow Leopard CD and erased the partition from there. But that must have also wiped the recovery partition, as I can't access it any more, and Snow Leopard isn't letting me restore my TM backup as I suspect it doesn't recognise the password-protected partition.

Have I completely hosed myself over? I have two backups and what looks like a properly-working HDD, but in the absence of a 10.8 boot disc I'm not sure what I can do.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

the_lion posted:

Hey Guys, hopefully someone might be able to point me in the right direction. My brother is having problems with his machine constantly crashing. He's running 10.8.3.
He gets a black screen, then just restarts saying "it restarted because of a problem." He's done a clean install apparently.

If anyone could shed any light on what it could be, i'd be really thankful!
Specs are below:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0F
SMC Version (system): 1.58f17
Serial Number (system): (edited out)
Hardware UUID: (edited out)
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Since you didn't post your serial number I can't check, but it may be your logic board and you may qualify for a Repair Extension Program to get it fixed. Take it to Apple or an AASP and they can test for sure.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Sonic Dude posted:

Since you didn't post your serial number I can't check, but it may be your logic board and you may qualify for a Repair Extension Program to get it fixed. Take it to Apple or an AASP and they can test for sure.

Ah right, I wasn't sure if it was a bad idea to write the serial number in so i removed it. It's W80195ZDAGZ

Where abouts is this place that you're checking it? I could only find http://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

the_lion posted:

Ah right, I wasn't sure if it was a bad idea to write the serial number in so i removed it. It's W80195ZDAGZ

Where abouts is this place that you're checking it? I could only find http://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/

Checking the serial number was basically a matter if seeing when it was made and what model it is. Since it's a 15" mid-2010, it may qualify for this: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088

That said, you've got 19 more days of warranty coverage left and it's much easier to get it repaired under warranty than under the REP. Get ye to a service provider.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Nut Bunnies posted:

I don't think Retina Airs are coming this year.
I think it falls squarely on whether the power savings of Haswell ULV (10W idle) reported around the time of the Intel Developer Forum are actually worth a darn. At the risk of truly pointless comparison, Chromebook Pixel and Toshiba KIRAbook (which use current gen Air's guts to power "retina") are both within the Air's dimensions but reportedly have poor viewing angles and half the battery life. Obviously rMBP & iPad 3/4 LCDs don't have the former issues, and if the latter is solved, there it is.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

kuskus posted:

I think it falls squarely on whether the power savings of Haswell ULV (10W idle) reported around the time of the Intel Developer Forum are actually worth a darn. At the risk of truly pointless comparison, Chromebook Pixel and Toshiba KIRAbook (which use current gen Air's guts to power "retina") are both within the Air's dimensions but reportedly have poor viewing angles and half the battery life. Obviously rMBP & iPad 3/4 LCDs don't have the former issues, and if the latter is solved, there it is.

Retina displays are power hogs though, aren't they?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nut Bunnies posted:

Yeah besides the next CPU upgrade the only other minor change is slightly shrinking the weight and dimensions due to supply chain part improvements.

etalian fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 29, 2013

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Sonic Dude posted:

Checking the serial number was basically a matter if seeing when it was made and what model it is. Since it's a 15" mid-2010, it may qualify for this: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088

That said, you've got 19 more days of warranty coverage left and it's much easier to get it repaired under warranty than under the REP. Get ye to a service provider.

Brilliant, thanks a heap!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Bob Morales posted:

Retina displays are power hogs though, aren't they?

That's why I'm explicitly avoiding an Air model with retina if one lands. The battery on an 11" is short enough as is.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I don't really see them releasing a retina 13" Air in the next few years, now that the retina 13" Pro exists. If they both had retina displays, they'd be almost identical, and if they could sell the retina machines for the price of the Air, they wouldn't be selling them alongside the non-retina machines in the first place. It makes much more sense to keep the Airs as non-retina machines that prioritize battery life, and keep pushing the price down.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

cbirdsong posted:

I don't really see them releasing a retina 13" Air in the next few years, now that the retina 13" Pro exists. If they both had retina displays, they'd be almost identical, and if they could sell the retina machines for the price of the Air, they wouldn't be selling them alongside the non-retina machines in the first place. It makes much more sense to keep the Airs as non-retina machines that prioritize battery life, and keep pushing the price down.

Yea, a 12-hour 13" Air would make more sense than a Retina 13" Air.

And a 8-hour 11" Air.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I figure they'll remain separate lines as long as tech limitations and pricing force them to be disparate in one way or another. If anything gets merged/killed off with the next update it'd be the old style standard MBPs since the main thing going for it is essentially legacy stuff.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

japtor posted:

I figure they'll remain separate lines as long as tech limitations and pricing force them to be disparate in one way or another. If anything gets merged/killed off with the next update it'd be the old style standard MBPs since the main thing going for it is essentially legacy stuff.

Lots of people still want ethernet and DVD so I'd expect them to be around for a while. Is the 13" cMBP still the best-selling computer Apple has?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Bob Morales posted:

Lots of people still want ethernet and DVD so I'd expect them to be around for a while. Is the 13" cMBP still the best-selling computer Apple has?

People will always "want" ethernet and DVD until they don't have that option then they'll eventually forget about it or get over it.

Air has neither of those things, huge seller.
iMac dropped DVD drive - cause really - it's pretty pointless for most users.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I saw some analyst mentioning it being popular for the optical drive in less connected areas/countries, and price+feature wise it's still a nice machine so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the best seller...but this is the company that doesn't even offer their software on discs anymore so who knows. The only optical drives left in the lineup are their 10 year old desktop tower and 5 year old laptop designs.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Bob Morales posted:

Yea, a 12-hour 13" Air would make more sense than a Retina 13" Air.

And a 8-hour 11" Air.

I'd kill for a 12 hour battery. I'm looking at getting a 13in air next release which hopefully has an even better battery than the current option. The 4GB 2011 11in. Air has been impressive capability wise for everything I've needed but it's always lacked in the battery department to the point where I always carried my charger with me. I personally find dropbox / spideroak /etc handles the storage needs I have along with a 32gb flash drive while leaving me ~50GB free space. I'd much rather have upgraded battery life and 8GB+ of RAM instead of a larger HD and retina display.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nice work with your fingers on the lens

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Are we looking at the Tabasco sauce? That guy is pretty 'midwestern looking' to be working at an Apple store.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

JP Money posted:

I personally find dropbox / spideroak /etc handles the storage needs I have along with a 32gb flash drive while leaving me ~50GB free space. I'd much rather have upgraded battery life and 8GB+ of RAM instead of a larger HD and retina display.

Too many homes and businesses still have lovely internet with 768k uploads.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You Am I posted:

Nice work with your fingers on the lens

The pic is from imgur. I just thought it was funny.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Are we looking at the Tabasco sauce? That guy is pretty 'midwestern looking' to be working at an Apple store.

The round wooden top makes me think Chalula. That stuff is bomb. Although I do enjoy Chipolte Tobasco.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

JP Money posted:

I'd kill for a 12 hour battery. I'm looking at getting a 13in air next release which hopefully has an even better battery than the current option. The 4GB 2011 11in. Air has been impressive capability wise for everything I've needed but it's always lacked in the battery department to the point where I always carried my charger with me. I personally find dropbox / spideroak /etc handles the storage needs I have along with a 32gb flash drive while leaving me ~50GB free space. I'd much rather have upgraded battery life and 8GB+ of RAM instead of a larger HD and retina display.

Well it is really amazing to see how much the battery life improved for things such as the MBA since the initial release, given how the first version could only 2 hours just for simple WiFi browsing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DEAR LORD, BELKIN IS NOW SHIPPING THE THUNDERBOLT DOCK :greatgift:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

DEAR LORD, BELKIN IS NOW SHIPPING THE THUNDERBOLT DOCK :greatgift:

Ok : So it claims two thunderbolt ports, one "Upstream" and one "Downstream". What the gently caress is that supposed to mean? Will I not be able to just get a couple of DVI adapters and plug a couple screens into this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Nerdrock posted:

Ok : So it claims two thunderbolt ports, one "Upstream" and one "Downstream". What the gently caress is that supposed to mean? Will I not be able to just get a couple of DVI adapters and plug a couple screens into this?

They're so you can daisy-chain a monitor (or some other TB device) on the back.