Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
Kent, Washington State. Sorry, you won't be going to any of my custom-loaded Rock Band parties any time soon.

E: Terrible way to start a new page, have an on-topic video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x826fgpURmU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
Puyallup here. WA represent!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Had some friends over tonight. Started our RB3 setlist with "This Boy." Felt great. Thanks, Orange Harrison! :cheers:

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

No matter how many times I play my own tracks, I get one hundred times more enjoyment when somebody else does. You just made my night. :sissies:

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011

Orange Harrison posted:

Kent, Washington State. Sorry, you won't be going to any of my custom-loaded Rock Band parties any time soon.

E: Terrible way to start a new page, have an on-topic video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x826fgpURmU

Renton over here, as well. Just today bought RB3 for 360 to join in on this fun! Strongly looking forward to playing your stuff, Orange, as well as the tasty fruit of everyone else's hard work. (And maybe making some of my own if I choose to devote the time. I'd love to attempt your track-splitting method for a better-sounding in-game song, provided I can keep the motivation up to get through the extra work!)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Big love to anyone involved with customs. Just set that up and it was super easy.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Wow set up customs today and I love it! Now I kind of want to make some of my own. Any idea where to start? Do I need split tracks?

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
My friends were down for the first real, dedicated Rock Band night in months due to my promise of customs and they were not disappointed in the slightest. It was a total blast, I can't express my thanks to everyone involved enough, you're amazing human beings.

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011

Thank you for mentioning this is a random post way back. Party Buffalo and Modio were completely failing to find RB3 data on my drive, and this acronymically-named utility got it right on the first try.

--and customs are go! Thanks, all, this is going to rock.

Twisted Eye fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 29, 2013

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Harry Privates posted:

Wow set up customs today and I love it! Now I kind of want to make some of my own. Any idea where to start? Do I need split tracks?

Harmonix has an entire wiki on how to author songs, but it is still down in the wake of that March attack on their servers (?). You don't need split tracks to make a custom song, just a good ear and a sense of what's "fun" to play while still being faithful to the music. Real musical training of any nature is a huge plus.

Flops
Mar 28, 2010

Look at all these lovely posts!

Orange Harrison posted:

Harmonix has an entire wiki on how to author songs, but it is still down in the wake of that March attack on their servers (?). You don't need split tracks to make a custom song, just a good ear and a sense of what's "fun" to play while still being faithful to the music. Real musical training of any nature is a huge plus.

One thing I've always wondered about is writing the charts for vocal tracks. Making charts for any instrument is not an easy task, but trying to pin down pitches for each lyric seems like a nightmare. Then you have the case of harmonies which turns it into a matter of transcribing chords. How do you check that all of those pitches are correct?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Flops posted:

One thing I've always wondered about is writing the charts for vocal tracks. Making charts for any instrument is not an easy task, but trying to pin down pitches for each lyric seems like a nightmare. Then you have the case of harmonies which turns it into a matter of transcribing chords. How do you check that all of those pitches are correct?

You definitely need a good ear for pitch. Having separated vocal stems helps, but for the most part you simply play the guide pitch over the actual track until it sounds right. If you know a little more about music, you'll nail down the key in which it's sung pretty quickly and place your pitches based on that.

IMO, accurate placement of the beginning and end of vocal tubes is a much bigger pain than pitches.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

It sounds elitist to say, but the solution to lots of people's "I can't comprehend this" charting difficulties is "be a real musician". Understand music theory, learn to sing and play guitar, suddenly you can tell just from hearing the stem whether the harmony singer is matching on the 4th or 5th, is there a unison third singer or is that just multitrack recording? Considering the key of the song, the guitarist is playing an C6, not an Am even though they have the same notes. There are people who chart Rock Band songs because they think it's the same as making a custom map for a Source Engine game or submitting a gun or hat model to Team Fortress 2, and then the community is flooded with terrible Pro Guitar charts because the person behind it thinks they are making a video game instead of an approximation of a previously-defined art from a wildly different and inexact medium (music), so they just googled the first terrible guitar tab for the song and pasted it into their MIDI, instead of actively listening to the song and learning it, learning that googling tabs is always a bad idea and they are never accurate, and that if you can't divine the exact notation of a song with either official documentation or a good ear, and learn to play the song for real, you probably don't have what it takes to make Pro charts and should stick to fivelane.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 29, 2013

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Though if you're only planning to author 5-lane, several years of Expert-level Rock Band experience will generally work for everything but vocals.

edit to expand: More specifically (for 5-lane), knowing how to make "fun" chord progressions on G/B is a big thing that many people don't get. I've seen people with a background in music theory botch their 5-lane charts because they haven't played enough plastic guitar to know why GH3 had lovely charts and RB didn't.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe

This post has been boiling inside you for a long time, huh?

edit: I do like your charts though. :glomp:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So I'm noodling around with a songs.dta for the first time. Right now I just want to "tidy up" a con I found that had some cosmetic gaffes (no album art, no difficulty tiers listed, stuff like that).

I'm seeing the line "('game_origin' 'rb2')" near the end of the file. Can I just remove that entirely, or should it be replaced with something else? Also, could I change the song ID to something more intuitive?

Flops
Mar 28, 2010

Look at all these lovely posts!

Orange Harrison posted:

It sounds elitist to say, but the solution to lots of people's "I can't comprehend this" charting difficulties is "be a real musician".

I didn't realize people were charting instruments with no musical experience at all. Even with guitar/bass you have to understand how it's actually being played in the song before charting it. Otherwise you end up with crazy note streaks that would just be a whammy bar or effects pedal in reality. I'd like help out with charting songs when I have some free time, but I don't want to chart something and then go "Oops, guess I've got a horrible ear for pitch, guess I'll bug one of the few vocal charters for that."

Edit: Just remembered that this happens with drums too, as I've seen those arguments as to whether the ghost notes should've been charted or not and a misunderstanding of where to chart closed vs open high hats hits and why. You also can't forget that drummers also like to use rimshots and can close the high hat for rhythm.

Flops fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 29, 2013

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Speaking of that, I have no idea what they were doing with Possum Kingdom's distortion solo in the RB guitar chart.

and speaking of thaaaaaaaaaat
https://twitter.com/BluntManGuy/status/328242186141458432/photo/1

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
I am going to get some 5-lane Van Hagar into this game or die trying.

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013
Since the Creators site is going down for a while, I've been curious about getting into the Customs scene. When my situation stabilizes, I really think that Rock Band really missed the boat with The Aquabats

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
I just realized with the way the Beatles Rock Band Multitrack for Here Comes the Sun is layed out, it's very possible to chart one of the parts for pro keys.
Basically this part
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RC1FZXomRw

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Played around with the modified Le Fluffie posted on that site. Successfully added in-game album art to a custom that didn't have any!:woop: Fixed some metadata too.

What would I need to modify lyrics in an existing file? Are they part of the .mid or are they stored somewhere else? Do I need Reaper for that? Curious how far I can go in this without having to buy some pro software.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 30, 2013

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Minidust posted:

Played around with the modified Le Fluffie posted on that site. Successfully added in-game album art to a custom that didn't have any!:woop: Fixed some metadata too.

What would I need to modify lyrics in an existing file? Are they part of the .mid or are they stored somewhere else? Do I need Reaper for that? Curious how far I can go in this without having to buy some pro software.

That's in the MIDI, easily editable with REAPER (whose trial version is free forever). Extract the MIDI from the CON, import it to REAPER (there are guides on google for this if you need help), open PART VOCALS or HARM1/HARM2/HARM3, find the lyric on the bottom, fix it, re-export the MIDI (be sure to embed tempo map), replace it in the CON, done!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

pksage posted:

That's in the MIDI, easily editable with REAPER (whose trial version is free forever). Extract the MIDI from the CON, import it to REAPER (there are guides on google for this if you need help), open PART VOCALS or HARM1/HARM2/HARM3, find the lyric on the bottom, fix it, re-export the MIDI (be sure to embed tempo map), replace it in the CON, done!
Awesome! Should I be loading the "Custom RB3 Template" first, or is MIDI importing a more direct thing?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Minidust posted:

Awesome! Should I be loading the "Custom RB3 Template" first, or is MIDI importing a more direct thing?

The latter. Step A:

Step 2:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

pksage posted:

The latter. Step A:

Step 2:

Thanks! I'm definitely getting MIDI files open at this point. Still can't find lyrics anywhere though... most I got was a chart that had "Phrase" markers. It was on the bottom half of the screen, kinda split horizontally into two parts. Hmm. I should probably check out a tutorial or something, the amount of options in Reaper is pretty daunting!

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Minidust posted:

Thanks! I'm definitely getting MIDI files open at this point. Still can't find lyrics anywhere though... most I got was a chart that had "Phrase" markers. It was on the bottom half of the screen, kinda split horizontally into two parts. Hmm. I should probably check out a tutorial or something, the amount of options in Reaper is pretty daunting!

That was probably the right chart. To make sure, double-click the red area of PART VOCALS:

Then make sure the bottom part of the MIDI editor (piano roll) says "Text Events", and you should see lyrics:

edit: I use REAPER 3.x, because REAPER 4 broke some RBN stuff when it came out and I haven't bothered to see if they're fixed yet. Also, I totally have a paid version on my home PC, but I'm too lazy to import my license here at work.

pksage fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 30, 2013

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Ah, "Text Events," that was the setting I needed. Thanks!

EDIT: I see that the lyrics themselves appear to be attached to those green bars. I see a lot of these shadowy red bars as well, that don't seem to be associated with any words. What are those about?

Minidust fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 30, 2013

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

^^ You probably accidentally opened multiple tracks so you're seeing all the text events overlaid on each other. Unless you mean horizontal bars, then you're just seeing the phrase indicators, and the overdrive indicators, and lyric shift indicators and other non-note stuff like that.

bpc908 posted:

I just realized with the way the Beatles Rock Band Multitrack for Here Comes the Sun is layed out, it's very possible to chart one of the parts for pro keys.
Basically this part
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RC1FZXomRw

Don't worry there's already people working on this stuff.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 30, 2013

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Rock Band 3 with P-bass bundle is currently on sale on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006EFQL0I
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006603V1S

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I love this product. Strum bar is little clickier than a RB2 guitar, but you get used to it fast. You can also use one "half" of the strum bar and play it like a regular controller just fine, if you wish.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
creators.rockband.com is back up BTW

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

And so the question is... how do we actually get to the docs?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

The T posted:

And so the question is... how do we actually get to the docs?

For now, you need a VPN login key to get at the site. Once the dust settles from this initial rollout, we'll see if the docs are public anywhere and see if they can be made public if not.

Worst case we can stand up a mirror somewhere.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

It should probably be warned that this is the MadCatz edition of RB3 and thus won't work with customs, however.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Another Reaper question: how exactly should I be saving the modified MIDI? I've been using the "Export Project MIDI" command, but when I swap the resulting file with the original .mid and rebuild in Le Fluffie, the package shows up as corrupt in the Xbox dashboard. Tried the process again to make sure the only thing I changed in the package was replacing the .mid file, still no dice.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

pksage posted:

Worst case we can stand up a mirror somewhere.

Then I look forward to that.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Minidust posted:

Another Reaper question: how exactly should I be saving the modified MIDI? I've been using the "Export Project MIDI" command, but when I swap the resulting file with the original .mid and rebuild in Le Fluffie, the package shows up as corrupt in the Xbox dashboard. Tried the process again to make sure the only thing I changed in the package was replacing the .mid file, still no dice.

I saw you ask this on The Other Forum, sorry I didn't answer you there.

Your export MIDI window should look like this (note "embed tempo map"):

Otherwise, the problem may be your tool. Try replacing in Modio or one of the other tools; the new Le Fluffie still has some bugs.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Holy poo poo, and that comes with the Pro Guitar (bass? is there a difference in plastic instruments?). I wish we had that sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Holy poo poo, and that comes with the Pro Guitar (bass? is there a difference in plastic instruments?). I wish we had that sale.
It's not a Pro controller. "Precision Bass" just means it has a split strum bar and thumb rest for "authentic two-finger bass plucking," in regular 5-lane gameplay.

• Locked thread