Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

fatpat268 posted:

Oh boy, a box of goodness just came in from china:

Are you interested in selling one of those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

kynikos posted:

Are you interested in selling one of those?

Yea, I was planning on it.

$55 shipped each for the ones that have a built in "188-in-1" cart. (In reality, it's like 40 games, just repeated). When no game is inserted, it automatically boots to the multicart. When a game is inserted, it plays the inserted cart. I'm keeping the yellow one.

$50 shipped for the other 5 in the top picture.

I'm planning on making an SA-Mart post in the near future along with some other stuff as well.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Just shot you a PM, pat. Gimme a shout back, I'm drooling.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

fatpat268 posted:

Any idea if those screens can be put in a real Color?

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
First of all I want to thank Jitzu for the excellent NES trade the other day. I got my games in the mail and all looks and plays great. Thanks also go to Unmature for hooking me up with a sealed Xmen game on the GC for the GG game. I'm too lazy to grab a picture of that.

Since I'm uploading pictures, here's more on the Sega controller lot I mentioned a few pages back. Click for huge on any of them. I've been busier than busy lately and haven't had a lot of time to screw with it but things are looking up. One Genesis controller has a basically severed cord and since it was practically free it's easily going to be 1/2 of a Zero Tolerance cable. The other 2 (of 9 Genesis and 2 DC controllers) ones I've tested work but are just grimy beyond grimy but eventually will clean up nicely.

Here's the beast rear end box it came in that was VERY well packaged for being so cheap:

There is nothing like tearing a box open, taking out a ton of stuff, and still having a box full of tangled mess. I love it. Also oh no an orange cat has returned to the thread.

Here's a picture of all of them. I want to point out the controller at the top left has a piece of masking tape on it that says "A B C don't work" yet it works like a charm for me. Easily the coolest controller of all is the one is the Striker in the middle. If you look closely you can see it's got a 3.5mm plug in addition to the normal one...which yes! just like that one Tomee or whatever NES controller you use it as a pass through that allows you to plug headphones into your controller. The Turbo Touch 360 is pretty boss but I'm not 100% confident I can get it back in working order because of how gross it is. I'm saving it for last and going to give it a hell of a cleaning.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 30, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Is that Wario in the top-right corner holding a taco?

More to the point, why isn't Wario drawn holding a taco in every piece of promo art?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Welp, opened up my dual analog controller and it turns out that, as usual, super glue is the answer to all life's problems. :toot: I mean it'll probably end up coming loose again after a lot of use but for now it sticks in place like it should.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Just ordered the GB Player and Marioworld 4 from Rakuten :retrogames:

Almost bought a Famicom and a Japanese NGC but decided that I didn't have room for em.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Speaking of stickers, I found some that may be interesting to folks here.
I managed to scorunge together two sets. (One's missing the boxing one, but the other "more interesting" one's still there.)

Free to whoever wants them.

Edit: There are two sets.
You have to take a complete set.
I don't feel like sending a dozen envelopes when I can send two.

If a set is still available can I get one?

Sorry I don't have PM's so email me if you can at Lepemont at Hotmail dot com.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

McFunkerson posted:

Since I got it home I haven't gotten picture at all, just the buzzing from the mirrors spinning up. I don't remember noticing anything in the parking lot, but I literally dipped my head in it for a second in a parking lot, saw a red screen and then turned it off.

Since he had the box and manual and it looked like it was in good condition I kinda took the guy at his word that it was in good working order.

It can be a problem with the cartridge port or even the game. When no game is in the VB when turned on, it makes a lot of noise (mirrors flipping back and forth) but gives no audio or video.

absolutely anything posted:

Welp, opened up my dual analog controller and it turns out that, as usual, super glue is the answer to all life's problems. :toot: I mean it'll probably end up coming loose again after a lot of use but for now it sticks in place like it should.

Nah Krazy Glue ain't coming out. I Krazy Glued the frequency dials on my Wavebirds back when those first came out because it was so easy to accidentally turn the dial while playing a game and those never came out since.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Nah Krazy Glue ain't coming out. I Krazy Glued the frequency dials on my Wavebirds back when those first came out because it was so easy to accidentally turn the dial while playing a game and those never came out since.

Just hope you never meet someone else with the same idea and channel number.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

Just hope you never meet someone else with the same idea and channel number.

That's why you have sixteen of them, duh.

I actually had that problem with my wavebird. My next door neighbor had one and wound up on the same frequency. drat you Nintendo for building a wireless controller too effectively! :argh:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Hrm. One of my wavebird controllers that I've had forever appears to have a deadzone issue on the joystick. I wonder if replacing the joystick will fix it.

Also I found this last night while searching about my SNES woes
http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9890&start=45

TmEE goes into detail about that fix he did to remove the white line. Basically he took power directly from the voltage regulator and fed it to the PPU and DRAM. He also added small ceramic diodes for signal cleaning as well as capacitors to compensate for lack of power. The culprit is lovely vias on the motherboard causing the power drops.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 30, 2013

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

It can be a problem with the cartridge port or even the game. When no game is in the VB when turned on, it makes a lot of noise (mirrors flipping back and forth) but gives no audio or video.

Yeah it's doing the same thing with no game cartridge in it. Now I have to find another game to test it with.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
how is game compatibility on the gb boy color

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
Just joined the XRGB-mini club. Loving having the Saturn running on a screen bigger than a few inches. Now I just need to upgrade from a monitor to a TV. Now I can see what Mr. Bones is actually doing.

While I was at it, I picked up an official Nintendo RBG cable for the Super Famicom I was gifted. Only problem is that the XRGB only outputs a black screen when I connect it that way. A bit of research tells me that the caps in old Nintendo cables are very prone to leaking, does this sound like what is happening here? I'm all keen to make this my next repair project, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to open the darn thing and I can't seem to find a guide on how to do it either (Outside of this cool kid telling me I'll need 3 6.3V220μF caps).

Anybody care to enlighten me?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

MediumWellDone posted:

Just joined the XRGB-mini club. Loving having the Saturn running on a screen bigger than a few inches. Now I just need to upgrade from a monitor to a TV. Now I can see what Mr. Bones is actually doing.

While I was at it, I picked up an official Nintendo RBG cable for the Super Famicom I was gifted. Only problem is that the XRGB only outputs a black screen when I connect it that way. A bit of research tells me that the caps in old Nintendo cables are very prone to leaking, does this sound like what is happening here? I'm all keen to make this my next repair project, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to open the darn thing and I can't seem to find a guide on how to do it either (Outside of this cool kid telling me I'll need 3 6.3V220μF caps).

Anybody care to enlighten me?

Is it an OEM cable? If so is it EU or JP? Was it made specifically for the SFC or for N64? Are you using an EU or JP SFC?

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

flyboi posted:

Is it an OEM cable? If so is it EU or JP? Was it made specifically for the SFC or for N64? Are you using an EU or JP SFC?

It's a JP OEM SFC cable, SHVC-010 on the box. I have a JP SFC. I live in Japan and bought the cable on amazon.co.jp

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

fatpat268 posted:

This things are kinda neat. Thanks again for getting me set up with the process. And yeah, the 188-in-1 are about 40-50 games, just repeating. Some of those games are really strange and confusing. Wish there was a way to alter the list.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

MediumWellDone posted:

It's a JP OEM SFC cable, SHVC-010 on the box. I have a JP SFC. I live in Japan and bought the cable on amazon.co.jp

Ah yeah, if it's a black screen then it is likely the caps inside the cable. The JP SFC/cable have caps built into them and the EU have resistors as the caps are inside their SFC. I'm not sure which end has the caps on OEM but on my 3rd party one the caps are soldered into the scart plug end.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

flyboi posted:

Ah yeah, if it's a black screen then it is likely the caps inside the cable. The JP SFC/cable have caps built into them and the EU have resistors as the caps are inside their SFC. I'm not sure which end has the caps on OEM but on my 3rd party one the caps are soldered into the scart plug end.

Thanks for confirming that. This link http://hkjunk0.web.fc2.com/games/etc/rgb/rgb.html (Scroll down past the Saturn cable section and you'll find the SFC cable.) shows that the caps are in the 21pin connector, but I have no idea how to open it up. It seems that the screw fastener (or what ever it's called) holding the connector together where it meets the cable has some trick to it.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

MediumWellDone posted:

Thanks for confirming that. This link http://hkjunk0.web.fc2.com/games/etc/rgb/rgb.html (Scroll down past the Saturn cable section and you'll find the SFC cable.) shows that the caps are in the 21pin connector, but I have no idea how to open it up. It seems that the screw fastener (or what ever it's called) holding the connector together where it meets the cable has some trick to it.

It's pretty easy to do. First unscrew the end and you'll see that it's two sides wedged together. All you need to do is use your finger nails or some screw drivers to apply a little bit of force and it'll pop open. Try not to go too strong though or you might break the plastic tabs.

Also might want to update the op, I was looking for that scart switch and emailed them to find they actually list it state-side and you don't have to wait for importing the scart switch. You can buy it here http://www.ani-av.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=199

flyboi fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 30, 2013

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

MediumWellDone posted:

While we're talking about SFC SCART cables, is it possible to get one without spending $30 :psyduck:

I thought about finding a cheap Gamecube SCART cable and throwing in caps but that wouldn't end up being cost effective after I got all the parts.

In other news, the cost of shipping to import SCART extension cables from the UK is so crazy that it actually becomes cost effective to buy a Euro SCART to JP RGB-21 converter from UK eBay shop retro_gaming_cables.

:sigh: Does anyone have some SCART cables I can gently caress up and pay you for?

e: To be clear, I want to hook up my SFC with a Euro cable and make my own Euro SCART to RGB21 converter cable, but I was also planning to buy a SCART switch soon so maybe I should just buy that and some male SCART cables and cut those up instead.

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 30, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

ACID POLICE posted:

While we're talking about SFC SCART cables, is it possible to get one without spending $30 :psyduck:

I thought about finding a cheap Gamecube SCART cable and throwing in caps but that wouldn't end up being cost effective after I got all the parts.

In other news, the cost of shipping to import SCART extension cables from the UK is so crazy that it actually becomes cost effective to buy a Euro SCART to JP RGB-21 converter from UK eBay shop retro_gaming_cables.

:sigh: Does anyone have some SCART cables I can gently caress up and pay you for?

I bought one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNES-SUPER-FAMICOM-21-PIN-RGB-SCART-CABLE-JAPAN-NEW-/360633184498 it actually uses the euro pinout but has the caps in it. Unfortunately the audio buzzes when you turn the volume up and I haven't taken the time to see if it's something that can be fixed.

Likely it could be fixed by stripping out the wire entirely and using a thicker one with better shielding but :effort:

flyboi fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 30, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"Did you hear about what happened with Chakan?"

That's what someone asked me a bit ago. That Chakan would be this game:

For those not up on their slightly obscure Genesis titles, you're a double sword wielding zombie who is doomed to live forever until he kills the great supernatural evils of the world. It's phenomenally difficult, had a pretty funky ability system, and was an all around crazy game. I enjoyed it a lot but it's one of those games where you have to be willing to see past the flaws.

So what this person told me was that the creator of Chakan had spent decades trying to revive the franchise. That he had gone off the deep end. That there was a movie released last year and it's all completely insane.

And that started a descent into the madness of Chakan.

Let's start with the movie. Here's what IMDB says about it.

Directed, produced, edited, written, and starting the same person? And their name is "Robin Morningstar"?!

(As an aside, Robin Morningstar's bio page on IMDB is hilarious. The story about how he was cut out of development on the Prince of Persia movie is complete :spergin: .

I'd swear this was a page put up as a dead project except for the fact that there's also a sequel in the database that claims to be in pre-production! The budget for the original is listed as 300,000 pounds.

I'm sure you're all interested in seeing a bit of this movie so here's the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx_65LgTXyA

That's it for footage on YouTube.

Here's the only still from the film I could find:

Looks great, doesn't it? You can see every penny pence of that 300,000 pounds.

Perhaps you need to know where the story went after the video game. You're covered there. The game was based on a terrible looking indie comic from the late 80's by Robert A. Kraus. I'm a fairly big comic book nerd and know a lot of weird books that came out of the 80's indie explosion. I never knew there was a Chakan comic. Despite that, Chakan stories are still being published by Kraus (fair warning, there's an embedded video that automatically plays and web design from 1996).

I think that these are all illustrated novellas. My personal favorite title and description would be:

One of the Dozens of Chakan Book Blurbs posted:

THE DILEMA OF THE COFFEE DRINKER

What do you do if you’re an average
joe thrust into a world of spirit ninjas, spider beasts, and an immortal warrior
named Chakan the Forever Man?
You drink coffee and wait to die...!

First appearance of the character Rob who will be pulled into the gray warrior's adventures. This book takes place before Chakan enters the Spell.

When the books feature magnificent cover art like this you know they have to be good:

For those of you desperate to play more Chakan, there is an option! You can get the Chakan the Forever Man boardgame! (Again, hilariously bad embedded video that autoplays at that link.) Just look at these high production values!

So after Chakan the game was made, the whole franchise fell down the rabbit hole of Internet crazy. Looking into this did make me want to play the game again, though.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I had that game as a kid and had no idea the rabbithole went down that far :stare: I might go pick up the boxed copy for $5 at my LGS now.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

DeathBySpoon posted:

I had that game as a kid and had no idea the rabbithole went down that far :stare: I might go pick up the boxed copy for $5 at my LGS now.

Same. I hated the game, it was so difficult from what I remember. I also had that one ring game on Genesis but the name escapes me at the moment.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

A Yolo Wizard posted:

how is game compatibility on the gb boy color

Don't know. Let's put it this way, it's played every game I had fine.

I can't speak to stuff like sound accuracy, as that's something that doesn't bother me on clone systems anyway. But to me, it sounds good and a bit fuller than a normal gbc.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I went digging for info on the Chakan movie and found this blog post:
http://mattjhorn.wordpress.com/2012/05/25/robin-morningstar-chakan-the-forever-man-2012/

Nothing too interesting but then there is this in the comments. :lol:

quote:

Tom Richards
Sep 15, 2012 @ 10:05:34

I was the ‘cameraman’ that Robin ‘employed’ to work on this and think I should just point out a number of things:

1) The day I travelled down to Crawley for the shoot, I found out that I wouldn’t just be shooting it, but would be directing it and editing it too.
2) Robin had no public liability insurance, no event insurance, no permissions to film in any of the locations, and no contracts for anyone involved. He also didn’t have a car or any means of transporting the equipment from base to ‘set’.
3) The ‘crew’ was basically me – there were no lighting or sound technicians, and no one had been employed to do costumes or make up. I found this out only when I arrived.
4) He had no production plan whatsoever – no dates/times/locations, although he expected the whole thing to be fully shot in 4 days!!!
5) He informed everyone by txt on the morning that it had been cancelled, but didn’t state a reason why (this is the first time I’ve heard that the set was ‘flooded’), …however, the actress playing Elkenrod happened to be Robin’s soon-to-be-ex girlfriend, so draw your own conclusions.
7) The suggestion that I orchestrated the cancellation of the shoot in order to make my own short film instead is a complete lie. I had taken the week off work to do Robin’s film, as had the actress involved. I gave her a lift back to London after the shoot was cancelled and only during the journey did we decide to make a short film instead of waste the time completely. If you want to watch it, it’s called Hard Tears and it’s on Youtube. It’s a drama written to showcase a ‘gritty’ acting style that the actress needed for her showreel, and it received some acclaim on release from a local domestic abuse charity. Watch it for yourself then decide if Robin’s comments are true or not.

..I could go on a say a lot more, and could point you in the direction of many, many more people who have things to say about Robin Morningstar but I getting bored of writing now, and since I’m no longer involved in the Independent Film Scene, I frankly don’t care.

Good luck with Chakan, Robin. Glad to see you finally made it… But please don’t lie about me in your ‘anecdotes’ anymore. It’s not nice.

Tom Richards

I gotta see this movie.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

fatpat268 posted:

Man those are nice. Are they emulators or real old school hardware with a new shell? If they are emu's are there any quirks or non working games? I just got my old GBC back from a friend I traded it too years ago. And while I play I keep wishing the screen were lit with something other than my stupid worm light.

Actually I think the most important question, how are the buttons and dpad? I have yet to meet a third party nintendo replica that felt right.

flyboi posted:

Hrm. One of my wavebird controllers that I've had forever appears to have a deadzone issue on the joystick. I wonder if replacing the joystick will fix it.

TmEE goes into detail about that fix he did to remove the white line. Basically he took power directly from the voltage regulator and fed it to the PPU and DRAM. He also added small ceramic diodes for signal cleaning as well as capacitors to compensate for lack of power. The culprit is lovely vias on the motherboard causing the power drops.

If you end up not being able to repair the controller, I would like to talk about a possible trade/purchase of your receiver.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 30, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Kilazar posted:

If you end up not being able to repair the controller, I would like to talk about a possible trade/purchase of your receiver.

I have a wired one that's basically "new".. When I have free time (hah) I'm going to try transplanting the joysticks and see if it fixes the controller. If not I'll let you know.

Also regarding Chakan, looks like that dude is a psycho spammer too https://twitter.com/rmorningstar

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

flyboi posted:

Also regarding Chakan, looks like that dude is a psycho spammer too https://twitter.com/rmorningstar

Dude's just excited about surveys. Can you blame him?

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
Hit up the pawn shop across the street from me, just to see if he had anything interesting to help round out my Genesis collection. Came home with these;

The three that are in box, are complete with manual and all :toot:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

flyboi posted:

Same. I hated the game, it was so difficult from what I remember. I also had that one ring game on Genesis but the name escapes me at the moment.

Do you mean Jewel Master?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlqTjjGZPDE

gently caress I miss Sega Channel. I wish some weird company who has all the old databases would come out of the woodwork so it could somehow be properly emulated.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Do you mean Jewel Master?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlqTjjGZPDE

gently caress I miss Sega Channel. I wish some weird company who has all the old databases would come out of the woodwork so it could somehow be properly emulated.

Yes that's it. It also has some pretty sweet box art

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
The guy also wrote and starred in a Wonderboy movie?!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446716/

We have a new mission thread.......

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

What does "lovely vias" mean? I keep reading it as VIA, like the computer chip manufacturer.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

What does "lovely vias" mean? I keep reading it as VIA, like the computer chip manufacturer.

A via is the hole that goes through a pcb to connect each side of a trace - via is latin for path TMYK

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Jewel Master is one of my favorite Genesis games. Love the customization of ring powers and all the combinations. Wish it got a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

midge posted:

The guy also wrote and starred in a Wonderboy movie?!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446716/

We have a new mission thread.......

http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Boy-Robin-Morningstar/dp/B004MYFVPO

I almost want to order it just to find out what it's like...

Edit: Now I really want to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ28vLkLJE8

This might be the greatest animated epic since Food Fight.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 30, 2013

• Locked thread