Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l
My crew hit 50 on the Fourth Stratum, and I've been retiring and slaughtering sheep with an army of QR Nightstalkers. My post-retirement plan looks like this so far:

Front:
Fortress/Dancer
Linksnkecht/Runemaster
Nightstalker/Arcanist (status infliction & general murder)

Back:
Sniper/Arcanist (binds & releasal spell)
Medic/Runemaster (subclass largely for the protection stuff)

I'm sure I'll need to retire and re-level again for post-game content, but does this seem like a fine, relatively cookie-cutter lineup for now? Are there any major interactions I'm missing? It feels like I'm basically using the subclasses as passive fodder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Prism posted:

How do quests cause game lag?

Seriously, I can't guess how they could. Graphical effects from something quest-related? Spawning extra FOEs to track?

Off the top of my head I can recall one or two early-game quests that required you to go to specific areas, and the method they used to track this somehow causes some noticeable slowdown when walking around. I never really made it past the 2nd stratum in the game so I don't know if it was just those specific quests or that quest type in general, but it makes wandering the labyrinth a bit more frustrating when you're moving ~25% slower because of a quest you absentmindedly accepted.

Badingading fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 30, 2013

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

blue.eyed.ash posted:

My crew hit 50 on the Fourth Stratum, and I've been retiring and slaughtering sheep with an army of QR Nightstalkers. My post-retirement plan looks like this so far:

Front:
Fortress/Dancer
Linksnkecht/Runemaster

Back:

I'm sure I'll need to retire and re-level again for post-game content, but does this seem like a fine, relatively cookie-cutter lineup for now? Are there any major interactions I'm missing? It feels like I'm basically using the subclasses as passive fodder.
You can easily beat the main storyline with that set-up. Find the gauntlets in the 5th Maze that give the wearer Charge LV. 1 as a skill, and stick those on your Nightseeker/Arcanist; maxed Swift Edge + Foul Mastery will kill almost any non-boss enemy with a status ailment. However, something tells me you may find yourself wanting to play with the class you get after the 4th Maze.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Prism posted:

How do quests cause game lag?
I seem to recall there being some quests that asked for you to get a particular class to level 3 or whatever. The way the game tracked this was that it'd check to see if you had fulfilled the level condition after every step. I don't remember it causing actual slowdown, but it did some weird things to the UI and the FOE tracker for some reason.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Rangpur posted:

You can easily beat the main storyline with that set-up. Find the gauntlets in the 5th Maze that give the wearer Charge LV. 1 as a skill, and stick those on your Nightseeker/Arcanist; maxed Swift Edge + Foul Mastery will kill almost any non-boss enemy with a status ailment. However, something tells me you may find yourself wanting to play with the class you get after the 4th Maze.

Cool. I definitely want to try leveling up some of the other classes, but I'll stick to my bread and butter for now.

5 NS/As really made me want to go break the game, Roguelike-style, I have to say.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Badingading posted:

Off the top of my head I can recall one or two early-game quests that required you to go to specific areas, and the method they used to track this somehow causes some noticeable slowdown when walking around. I never really made it past the 2nd stratum in the game so I don't know if it was just those specific quests or that quest type in general, but it makes wandering the labyrinth a bit more frustrating when you're moving ~25% slower because of a quest you absentmindedly accepted.

That's kind of insane.

Anyway, I've finished EO4 now and I have acquired a copy of EO3! Is there anything I should know about this before I start it? What's the major differences between 4 and 3 that I should know ahead of time? I know resting is more costly and I understand the skill system has more in the way of dead skills?

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt

Thuryl posted:

Compromise option: subclass Bushi. Your average damage will be comparable to a Sniper/Nightseeker when Blood Surge is active, and you can alternate Blood Surge and Calm Breath to recover TP when needed.

I'm going to try the Bushi for a while, thanks for everyone's input. I also retired my Sniper and Runemaster while I was at it, and now I'm running them around, killing golden FOEs. :shobon:

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Prism posted:

That's kind of insane.

Anyway, I've finished EO4 now and I have acquired a copy of EO3! Is there anything I should know about this before I start it? What's the major differences between 4 and 3 that I should know ahead of time? I know resting is more costly and I understand the skill system has more in the way of dead skills?

In no particular order:

-Every class has access to a misc. skill called "combat study" (or something like that) which will give them a fraction of battle XP even when they're benched in the adventurer's guild. It may be worth it at the start to make a bunch of characters of all classes, sink all their points into combat study (and go back occasionally to max it out over their first 10 levels). Then, if you ever want to use them, have them rest to reset their combat skills and you'll have access to a character with a lot of the necessary catch-up already done for you.

-Gathering works pretty differently in EO3 and you probably won't want your front-line party dropping any points in gathering skills at all. Instead, create 5 farmers and give them combat study to build up their levels; have 4 put their points into harvesting skills and the 5th into the farmer skill that turns off random encounters. This will be your gathering party for most of the game.

-Every class will have access to "combat mastery" skills which say that they increase damage using specific weapons. However, that damage increase is only 1% per skill level, which is pretty useless. The only purpose for the mastery skills is a point sink to unlock the actual skills, so never put any points into them unless you're trying to unlock something specific.

-Unlike EO4 the exploration mode (the ship) is never required for progress but will be your most reliable source of money for a big chunk of the game, and unlocks bonus bosses which give you your limit skills, so don't neglect it!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

blue.eyed.ash posted:

Front:
Fortress/Dancer
Linksnkecht/Runemaster

Back:

I used exactly this party for most of the game, though I switched out the Linksnecht for the 4th land's class after unlocking it. Did just fine.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Meiteron posted:

In no particular order:

-Every class has access to a misc. skill called "combat study" (or something like that) which will give them a fraction of battle XP even when they're benched in the adventurer's guild. It may be worth it at the start to make a bunch of characters of all classes, sink all their points into combat study (and go back occasionally to max it out over their first 10 levels). Then, if you ever want to use them, have them rest to reset their combat skills and you'll have access to a character with a lot of the necessary catch-up already done for you.

-Gathering works pretty differently in EO3 and you probably won't want your front-line party dropping any points in gathering skills at all. Instead, create 5 farmers and give them combat study to build up their levels; have 4 put their points into harvesting skills and the 5th into the farmer skill that turns off random encounters. This will be your gathering party for most of the game.

-Every class will have access to "combat mastery" skills which say that they increase damage using specific weapons. However, that damage increase is only 1% per skill level, which is pretty useless. The only purpose for the mastery skills is a point sink to unlock the actual skills, so never put any points into them unless you're trying to unlock something specific.

-Unlike EO4 the exploration mode (the ship) is never required for progress but will be your most reliable source of money for a big chunk of the game, and unlocks bonus bosses which give you your limit skills, so don't neglect it!

I'm glad to know about Combat Mastery because if I'd just seen that I would've thought that was pretty cool. If it's just 10% at max, though, not so cool.

For gathering, do you just mean send out the group of farmers every once in a while to grab stuff? Seems dangerous if they can't fight, even with reduced random encounters (or does it eliminate it entirely?)

Does subclassing work the same way as in EO4, in that it can be reset by resting? Also, how many levels is resting in this one, 5?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Prism posted:

Does subclassing work the same way as in EO4, in that it can be reset by resting? Also, how many levels is resting in this one, 5?

Yes and yes. The difference however is that in EO3, subclass skills don't cap out at half, you can take them all the way to full. The only thing you miss is the class special skill (the one at the very top of the list).

theshim
May 1, 2012

Prism posted:

I'm glad to know about Combat Mastery because if I'd just seen that I would've thought that was pretty cool. If it's just 10% at max, though, not so cool.

For gathering, do you just mean send out the group of farmers every once in a while to grab stuff? Seems dangerous if they can't fight, even with reduced random encounters (or does it eliminate it entirely?)

Combat Mastery adds up pretty quickly, don't underestimate it. However, it only applies to fights in the Labyrinth, not to the sea quests!

The Safe Stroll skill completely eliminates encounters while active, so one farmer with Safe Stroll and four with Harvestry and Keen Nose makes for safe money making.

The only skill you can't take on a subclass is the unique class skill of the sub, which is actually a pretty big deal as the class skills are extremely powerful. Still, being able to max out skills from multiple classes leads to some absolutely ridiculous combos.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Incidentally, if you're like me and hate having to make tons of trips for gathering, the best thing to do in EO3 is to make two gathering parties: a Farmer party as described above for pre-subclass gathering, and a party of 5 Ninjas that just hang out in the adventurer's guild with the passive XP skill until you unlock subclasses, then subclass them all to Farmers. The reason for that second party is that Ninjas' class skill reduces the cost of all activated abilities by a bunch, including Double Crop, To Market, and the anti-encounter spell. This makes it so you can easily harvest your entire inventory full with a single trip and with no risk of running out of TP on your low-ish level characters preventing you from getting out safely.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 30, 2013

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
I played and enjoyed the Etrian trilogy on DS but never completed any of them. I just bought a 3DS, should I get 4 or am I better off waiting for the remake of 1 that is coming soon in Japan? I'm also considering Soul Hackers. Thanks.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
4 is great and the most approachable of the series. If you're going to be beating any one of them, that'll be it.

Soul Hackers isn't hugely hard but it's very much a game made in 1997 so I would say if you can't get around to finishing EO1-3, Soul Hackers will probably have you peter out too.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Okay, is there any particular reason why Wiglaf will cheerfully sit in her little ship watching me get slaughtered? Do I have to do something? Is it too late to get help? The guest for the first dragon was awesome.

I got the Storm Emperor down to about 5% health but he kept killing everyone faster than I could get them back and I couldn't chip him down. :argh:

theshim fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 30, 2013

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

theshim posted:

Okay, is there any particular reason why Wiglaf will cheerfully sit in her little ship watching me get slaughtered? Do I have to do something? Is it too late to get help? The guest for the first dragon was awesome.

I got the Storm Emperor down to about 5% health but he kept killing everyone faster than I could get them back and I couldn't chip him down. :argh:

You have to talk to Wiglaf to initiate the battle if you want her as a guest.

theshim
May 1, 2012

NinjaDebugger posted:

You have to talk to Wiglaf to initiate the battle if you want her as a guest.
I did, and she was all "welp, that didn't work, good luck you guys".

I mean, I beat him on my third try anyway, and then took down the Blizzard King on my first, and Kirijonen decided to join me no problem. Do you have to answer Wiglaf's earlier question no or something?

Also the Fallen One wiped me in short order but I guess that is to be expected; time to buy many Theriaca As. Many of them.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Meiteron posted:

Does Combat Study take XP away from your active members, or does it just use the earned XP amount to make its calculations? For example, let's say a battle gives you 100 XP, which means that each party member gets 20 XP. If you have a single character with a single point in Combat Study (1% of the experience earned), does that one character get one XP leaving 99 to be split amongst the active members, or do the active members still get 20XP each with the Combat Study character effectively getting free XP, for a total of 101 XP given out?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

JavaJesus posted:

Does Combat Study take XP away from your active members, or does it just use the earned XP amount to make its calculations? For example, let's say a battle gives you 100 XP, which means that each party member gets 20 XP. If you have a single character with a single point in Combat Study (1% of the experience earned), does that one character get one XP leaving 99 to be split amongst the active members, or do the active members still get 20XP each with the Combat Study character effectively getting free XP, for a total of 101 XP given out?

Combat Study's a freebie.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

NinjaDebugger posted:

Combat Study's a freebie.
Excellent, thanks. I've had enough trouble not dying in EO3 so I've never been brave enough to try putting points into it and risk taking XP away from my main team.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Prism posted:

Well, actually it's a bit of a better deal then it looks.

The EXP your party gets is divided equally among all the party members, and since you're going to have a full party unless you're gimmicking, that means each character involved gets 20% of the listed EXP.

On the other hand, Combat Study gives 10% of the listed EXP, before it's divided up. So it's effectively 50% of the EXP the character would get in the party.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dr Pepper posted:

Well, actually it's a bit of a better deal then it looks.

The EXP your party gets is divided equally among all the party members, and since you're going to have a full party unless you're gimmicking, that means each character involved gets 20% of the listed EXP.

On the other hand, Combat Study gives 10% of the listed EXP, before it's divided up. So it's effectively 50% of the EXP the character would get in the party.

Combat mastery, the weapon mastery skills.

Combat Study is cool.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think it's 11% at max, not 10% for Combat Mastery.

So, uh, yeah, not exactly the best bang for your buck there. (Unless you're a combat Monk.)

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Pureauthor posted:

I think it's 11% at max, not 10% for Combat Mastery.

So, uh, yeah, not exactly the best bang for your buck there. (Unless you're a combat Monk.)

It is worth mentioning that you'll probably want to max out or at least put a lot of points into combat mastery eventually, for whatever nifty skills the higher levels of mastery unlock. The newbie trap of mastery skills will be early game if you've sunk a whole bunch of points into them expecting some noticeable passive damage increase that doesn't happen, leaving you sorely lacking for offensive skills.

Also I may be mixing up my skills here but don't the mastery skills only really apply the bonus for normal attacks? If so that makes them even more useless by themselves.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Any Weapon Mastery skill increases damage by 1%+1 per rank in the skill with basic attacks with that weapon.

They are unequivocally awful and should only have points in them to unlock whatever skills you want.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
EOIV question: Is it worth 30 or so health to go from General Leather (10% hp)->Ultimate leather armors (about 31 defense). I've unlocked the ultimate armors for most of my team but I'm not sure if losing that extra health on the squishes is worth the extra defense and stats.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

How often have you died when an extra 30 HP would have saved you? Post-game, a lot of the enemies will either instagib you or use status ailments instead. I recommend upgrading the armors. You can always level up to regain those HP, and most of them have forges you'd want to be stacking as high as possible anyway (e.g., CRI for Snipers).

theshim
May 1, 2012

Well, I can't deny that I got crazy lucky (paralysis kicked in something like four out of five rounds and a Follow Trace at the end after using a Formaldehyde did enough to kill him and get both drops) but I've beaten the Fallen One! All that's left is the third floor of the Hall of Darkness and I'll have actually completed an EO postgame! :dance:

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
As someone brand new to the EO series, is it worth starting IV on Normal mode or Casual? The dying and return to town part sounds nice, but I don't really want easier fights. I've been playing Fire Emblem with perma-death on, if that's at all relatable.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Casual mode is pretty pointless. Just go with normal.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

CaptCommy posted:

As someone brand new to the EO series, is it worth starting IV on Normal mode or Casual? The dying and return to town part sounds nice, but I don't really want easier fights. I've been playing Fire Emblem with perma-death on, if that's at all relatable.

If you don't want easier battles stick with Normal. Just remember to always bring at least one Ariadne Thread or Pole Stone with you so you can get back to town quicker when your party's near exhaustion and you probably won't encounter the Game Over screen too often outside of boss battles.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Yeah, just pick up three ariadne threads so that you can be absolutely sure you have one, and always make sure you check your inventory before going back out into a dungeon. Casual is for chumps, yo.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shlapintogan posted:

Casual is for chumps, yo.
Not bad for if you wanna zone out and grind for a little bit with zero risk, though, or if there's a FOE you're not sure about but you wanna give a shot without having to go back to a save spot.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Hello thread for this strange game I just started playing. Teach me about etrian odyssey 4!

Before I waste a bunch of time leveling up worthless guys can someone give me the lowdown on making a good team?
The cost to sleep and revive keeps going up! Is this based on my levels?
After a couple quests it says my map for the related cave has been updated. It looks like they just add a bit to the info blurb and give me a stamp or something? Should I care about that?
What level do I need to be to kill these huge loving bears that chase me all over?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Awesome! posted:

Before I waste a bunch of time leveling up worthless guys can someone give me the lowdown on making a good team?
You can make a good team from practically anything and beat the main game. Once you get to the postgame, you'll have ways of leveling people up pretty quickly, so you won't have to worry about it. Make what looks awesome to you.

Awesome! posted:

The cost to sleep and revive keeps going up! Is this based on my levels?
Yes. Money will not be a significant problem past the early game, though.

Awesome! posted:

After a couple quests it says my map for the related cave has been updated. It looks like they just add a bit to the info blurb and give me a stamp or something? Should I care about that?
Nope.

Awesome! posted:

What level do I need to be to kill these huge loving bears that chase me all over?

Higher level than you are now, most likely. If you're wondering if you can take them yet, go save and then fight one. It's the best way to figure out what your party can handle.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I would recommend at least one Nightseeker though. Those guys are great.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

This berseker king dude is absolutely wrecking my poo poo. Is the secret "grind more levels?"

I actually managed to blind him before his huge fuckoff attack last time but then I countered myself to death. Arm binds have yet to land at all.

vvv I have 3 dudes at 15 and 2 at 12

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 6, 2013

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Awesome! posted:

This berseker king dude is absolutely wrecking my poo poo. Is the secret "grind more levels?"

Maybe. I was around level 19 when I beat him, and I think that's a bit high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

He's beatable with everyone in your party at 15, but that's the low end of where it's possible. Party composition matters a lot too. What are you rolling with? Almost any set-up is plausible if you have a Medic, but you'll need wildly different strategies. Make sure you've explored all the caves in the area too. Good places to gain a couple more levels.

• Locked thread