Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

I'd love to see how crummy it looks running on current gen. What possible incentive is there to buy it if chances are you'll get a next-gen console anyway? If you got like, half-off the next-gen version that would be something but obviously that's not going to happen.

Eh, I doubt it will look that much better/worse. The stuff they've shown doesn't look too outrageous for current gen stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sort of. They generally don't work very well, or at all with some games/engines. Given how batshit weird the MGS2 engine is I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work with ZOE2.

Well, another thing I found was that I can force the PS2 chip to render PAL. Also, if I use composite cables, it should work.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

muscles like this? posted:

Eh, I doubt it will look that much better/worse. The stuff they've shown doesn't look too outrageous for current gen stuff.

If the PS4 displays it the way a current PC would that's already a pretty big difference. The current consoles already can't handle current gen games, more or less.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

If the PS4 displays it the way a current PC would that's already a pretty big difference. The current consoles already can't handle current gen games, more or less.

We're still having trouble with last gen games (but to be fair, stuff like ZoE HD collections are the result of lazy programming)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DangerKat posted:

I know we all clamor for a MGS remake but I can't help but still be impressed with what Kojima accomplished in the original.

The damnable thing is that one already exists, it's just that it'll probably never see the light of day again. Unless we actually do get Gamecube games on the WiiU's virtual console.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I decided to pick up Dead Island for cheap, and while it's pretty okay (except for technical problems), public co-op is the same as in Borderlands 1 and 2: people join your game and just wander off somewhere and do their own thing until you kick them, and more players come and do the same thing. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose?

Dark Souls and Demon's Souls have spoiled me.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Lesson learned: never coop with randos.

I thought only the host could set quest objectives though so I think they might be doing something that's a huge pain.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Lesson learned: never coop with randos.

I thought only the host could set quest objectives though so I think they might be doing something that's a huge pain.
It's not like there's anyone I know playing this game right now, and even if there were, the timing almost never works out for mp with friends because I live in Hawaii.

edit: By the way, do enemies get stronger in Dead Island when more players come in, like Diablo or Borderlands? There's no announcement like that, and I can't tell.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Samurai Sanders posted:

I decided to pick up Dead Island for cheap, and while it's pretty okay (except for technical problems), public co-op is the same as in Borderlands 1 and 2: people join your game and just wander off somewhere and do their own thing until you kick them, and more players come and do the same thing. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose?
Oh, they can do so, so much worse. Remember that mission in the coastal part of the game where you're driving a truck around to fetch gas canisters and juice boxes? Specifically, that one gas station out in the middle of nowhere?

I had a random log in, knock me down, throw everything out the back of the truck, get in, and drive off. He left me in a cloud of zombies without any weapons or vehicles for miles. I screamed bloody murder, but in retrospect, it was a hilarious troll.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's not like there's anyone I know playing this game right now, and even if there were, the timing almost never works out for mp with friends because I live in Hawaii.

edit: By the way, do enemies get stronger in Dead Island when more players come in, like Diablo or Borderlands? There's no announcement like that, and I can't tell.

No they remain as is, they scale with you after all.

Check the Dead Island thread if you wanna play with non dumbasses.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shalinor posted:

Oh, they can do so, so much worse. Remember that mission in the coastal part of the game where you're driving a truck around to fetch gas canisters and juice boxes? Specifically, that one gas station out in the middle of nowhere?

I had a random log in, knock me down, throw everything out the back of the truck, get in, and drive off. He left me in a cloud of zombies without any weapons or vehicles for miles. I screamed bloody murder, but in retrospect, it was a hilarious troll.

I wish Dead Island were that fun or dynamic, like, ever, except in that one specific scenario you described.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Trinity: Souls of Zill'Oll: Yay or nay?

I like good combat and action games, stories aren't a big deal to me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RBX posted:

Trinity: Souls of Zill'Oll: Yay or nay?

I like good combat and action games, stories aren't a big deal to me.
Nay, I'm afraid. Despite improvements here and there, it's still basically Dynasty Warriors combat but without the vast numbers of enemies that make it fun.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The damnable thing is that one already exists, it's just that it'll probably never see the light of day again. Unless we actually do get Gamecube games on the WiiU's virtual console.

Don't people hate Twin Snakes because of the silly better cutscenes?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

TaurusOxford posted:

Don't people hate Twin Snakes because of the silly better cutscenes?

The biggest problem is that they included improvements from the sequel (like the ability to aim the gun from a first person view) but without changing the enemy AI, which makes the game incredibly easy compared to the original. The poor bastards have no way to deal with a Snake who can pull of headshots with the UPS!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you were interested in Dead Island Riptide, Best Buy has it for $35. Quite a fast price cut/temporary cut. Injustice is also at $35 at Toys R Us this week and other retailers if you price match.

Never pre-order.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Harlock posted:

If you were interested in Dead Island Riptide, Best Buy has it for $35. Quite a fast price cut/temporary cut. Injustice is also at $35 at Toys R Us this week and other retailers if you price match.

Never pre-order.

Unless you got coupons to fall back on. Pre-ordered Riptide at $33 thanks to Tsilon :getin:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Harlock posted:

Never pre-order.

Riptide has a $40 MSRP because it's one of those standalone expansion things so it's only $5 off.

Injustice is a whole 2 weeks old man. Ancient.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Any new Riptide owners should check the thread to hook up with goons. :v:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3546406

Yes its a shameless self plug, but I need more people to play with it over the PS3 side.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

AngryBooch posted:

Injustice is a whole 2 weeks old man. Ancient.
I rented it and finished the story mode in like 5-6 hours (which was like an extended Justice League episode), and was good enough for me. If you're not into competitive fighters, obviously stay away.

Best Buy had the MSRP listed as $49.99 for Dead Island. I guess that was a little inflated.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 30, 2013

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The PAL version has a bunch of small changes and extra content (mostly VR missions) that the US version lacks, so it's really better to stick with getting the PAL version regardless.

But in order to play the PAL version, you would also need a PAL PS2, or a PS2 with region locking disabled, right?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Max Wilco posted:

But in order to play the PAL version, you would also need a PAL PS2, or a PS2 with region locking disabled, right?

Yup. At this point it's (generally) so easy to load ESR onto your PS2 that it's totally worth it to import a bunch of wacky games from Japan or something (teach a polar bear to sing enka) and go hog wild.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Wow. I'm playing WWE '13 and I want to know how to steal the opponent's finisher. There's no information in the game (despite it being required for an objective) and the 2 page manual tells me to look up the full manual online. Useless!

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Wow. I'm playing WWE '13 and I want to know how to steal the opponent's finisher. There's no information in the game (despite it being required for an objective) and the 2 page manual tells me to look up the full manual online. Useless!

While they are on the ground and you have a finisher stored, hold R2+directional up and then hit a finisher.

Last year's version had an ingame tutorial that had all the controls and moves and a practice mode. They took it out in this game for literally no reason. There's a reason most of the wrestling forum is talking about Fire Pro Returns instead of WWE 13.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

The GIG posted:

While they are on the ground and you have a finisher stored, hold R2+directional up and then hit a finisher.

Last year's version had an ingame tutorial that had all the controls and moves and a practice mode. They took it out in this game for literally no reason. There's a reason most of the wrestling forum is talking about Fire Pro Returns instead of WWE 13.

Yeah I eventually found it thanks. I was really hopeful Yukes would no longer be the developer after the THQ bankruptcy, I've been waiting for them to lose the licence for so long, but no such luck...

Kimoosabi X
Nov 8, 2006

Anyone picked up the Deadly Premonition Director's Cut yet? I have the original on 360 but wanted to grab this version for the improved controls, but from what I hear this version is pretty janky. Framerate drops/stuttering that both the 360 version and the original JP release of Deadly Premonition on PS3 didn't have apparently. That's a bummer if true, anyone have any hands-on impressions?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The thread has been lighting up with people having problems, yeah. In terms of game performance I don't rate it above the 360 version.

On the other hand, sixaxis vehicle driving.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Kimoosabi X posted:

Anyone picked up the Deadly Premonition Director's Cut yet? I have the original on 360 but wanted to grab this version for the improved controls, but from what I hear this version is pretty janky. Framerate drops/stuttering that both the 360 version and the original JP release of Deadly Premonition on PS3 didn't have apparently. That's a bummer if true, anyone have any hands-on impressions?
The Director's Cut isn't unplayable or anything, but it does run really rough. There's constant hitching and framerate drops that weren't in the 360 version.

If you have the original, the DC isn't really worth getting at all as there's no new content in the game itself (there are some new cutscenes at the beginning and end as well as between episodes, but that's it) and the improved controls aren't that much better.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Speaking of Deadly Premonition, I'm about 8 hours in and I still don't know how to use my DLC cars...

WOLF KIDULT MAN
Jun 13, 2008

Kimoosabi X posted:

There's semi-occasional hitching in goofy places, including the main menu of all things, and the frame rate in the opening section is pretty bad. This is, as I recall, not dissimilar from the JP release. The problems are largely overstated, it's perfectly playable. The new content is insignificant.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The only time I've noticed painful framerate drops are maybe 1 in 10 times when you pick up an item, and the screen goes black to have a rotating low-poly model of the item, it can be about 4fps. When there's actual stuff happening on screen, it's fine, strangely.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
I mean the fact that the game rarely requires precision is a good thing in terms of the terrible frame rate. It gets super frustrating at times in combat when the frame rate problems make manual aiming extremely difficult. There are a couple of fights where you need to target specific places and they were unpleasant. The thing is though that you can beat most combat encounters by just locking on and unloading into them.

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF
PS+ Shame Pile Trip Report:

Burned out on Outland after getting the Launch and going back to collect stuff. The areas are too big to make backtracking much more than a chore when the only carrot they can provide me with is more money.

So onto Malicious - THIS GAME IS SO WEIRD. It feels like it wanted to cash in on the monster hunter craze but the bosses are such feedbackless bullet sponges that all tension is drained from the fights.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dadjacket posted:

So onto Malicious - THIS GAME IS SO WEIRD. It feels like it wanted to cash in on the monster hunter craze but the bosses are such feedbackless bullet sponges that all tension is drained from the fights.

For a game that's just six boss battles, there's a remarkable amount to learn. Your first fight will probably go badly unless you spend a while hunting popcorn enemies so that you can use higher-level aura attacks on the boss.

Also, difficulty slowly rises no matter what order you do the bosses in. Whichever you do first will be easiest.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Dadjacket posted:

Some bosses are worse than others (that floating fortress thing is an awful fight), but remember, the flow of combat should be:

1.) Smash up a ton of small dudes
2.) Wait until you've got a power ranking thingy of around 1000
3.) Activate the power mode
4.) Tear into the boss until you're out of juice

If the bosses feel like bullet sponges (some exceptions aside), it's because you're going after them unpowered. In which case, yes, it plays horribly. Figure out how to exploit the powered up mode and healing, though, and the game transforms into something kind of beautiful. Though still very, very weird.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Shalinor posted:

Some bosses are worse than others (that floating fortress thing is an awful fight), but remember, the flow of combat should be:

I've found the shield boss to be the easiest to take on first. Later on, it gets so ridiculously armored that you need to go completely apeshit on it to do any damage.

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF
I beat the lance-nosed lion thing first and it took me about 17 minutes (I used the methods described). It wasn't so much the length that bothered me as much as it was the feeling that when I got hit by his charge attack it was because the dodge controls are inconsistent. That turned what would've been the tension of "oh god I hope I don't mess this up" to "well I hope the game stays consistent long enough for me to circle-strafe this guy to death."

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Dadjacket posted:

I beat the lance-nosed lion thing first and it took me about 17 minutes (I used the methods described). It wasn't so much the length that bothered me as much as it was the feeling that when I got hit by his charge attack it was because the dodge controls are inconsistent. That turned what would've been the tension of "oh god I hope I don't mess this up" to "well I hope the game stays consistent long enough for me to circle-strafe this guy to death."

I did that boss first and it took a super long time because I was still trying to figure out what was going on. I didn't make any progress until I realized I could switch to fists and then pummeled him super quickly. The lance's homing attack thing carried me through the two boss fights I did after that. Still need to finish that up sometime, but it sounds like I saved the harder/more annoying ones for last since I did the one right after the lance and the queen.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I went Fists Giant, Gatling Knight, Flying Fortress, Beak Griffin, Sword Chick; the beak griffin thing could have come earlier/easier though. Was there one I'm forgetting?

Flying Fortress was the funnest arena but the most boring boss I think, just run around amassing tons of aura with multi-shot, then jump on each of the 3 platforms and punch poo poo to death. The head getting full health was kinda dumb. The lady in red was the most frustrating, short of the last level which was just too much to process after burning through the rest in one sitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I want to get Far Cry 3 so I can play Blood Dragon and I noticed that my local EB Games has Far Cry 2 for $13 at the moment. Is it worth getting to play before / after FC3 or is it not that great?

• Locked thread