Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Antillese posted:

Everyone also has a CD that happened to be in the drive the first time they played Quake [1]. Mine was Mechwarrior 2 which had redbook audio. So I've got that mixed up a bit too. Mech 2 was a strong enough holistic experience that I don't think of Quake all that much when I hear the soundtrack (which is really pretty good). Especially since I would end up typing "~cd stop" whenever I would join a Quake World server.

This reminds me of an embarrassing one:

+

I cannot begin to explain this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

There are 3 correct choices for Quake 1 music: the actual Quake CD, Mechwarrior 2, and Bad Religion Recipe for Hate.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Wait, someone was a big enough "jerk" to successfully emulate Pier Solar?

There's a version of the English/French/German Reprint ROM floating around that works in MESS (the emulator that's basically MAME but emulates consoles as well as arcade cabinets) but maybe not to completion, I don't think anyone's confirmed that it works all the way through. Last time I checked this was the only option to play the game short of getting an actual cart running on original hardware. Also bear in mind the game will be getting an actual PC release.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

zenintrude posted:

+

Well, one of their songs was all about the PS1 so....

wait, how do I still remember this crap?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

zenintrude posted:

+

Don't be blue da ba de bo daba debwooop

Just fyi pandora has a 90's alternative rock station that's :krad:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Code Jockey posted:

I can't listen to either without thinking of playing Quake 2.

In a similar vein:

+

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

This album [best album, ever, I'll fight anyone over this]

Cherub Rock is fantastic. I don't care for the rest of the album or the pumpkins. We don't need to fight about it. Here's my lunch money. :10bux:

Edit: oh, Eye off of the Lost Highway soundtrack is also fantastic.

quote:

Also this:

Holy poo poo, Pretty 8 Machine is so good I can't even encourage you to listen to it enough. Trent himself apparently blessed it and called it rad.

Antillese fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 2, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Not really completely retro but I used to blast Tool - Aenima while playing PSO and KMFDM while playing everquest

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Mine was Diablo 2: LoD with Lamb of God - As the Palaces Burn. I put in at least a thousand hours back when I played D2 and that album was going the entire time.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
Since everyone was talking about their Quake 2 playlists, mine was a burned copy of the Symphony of the Night soundtrack with only the rockin' tracks on it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

shymog posted:

Since everyone was talking about their Quake 2 playlists, mine was a burned copy of the Symphony of the Night soundtrack with only the rockin' tracks on it.

Mine was just the cutscene dialogue. :v:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I'm sure I'll end up as posting on the KRIKzz board but what are you supposed to do with a Zapper and a N8 :saddowns:

I hope it isn't a problem with the Zapper and the AV Fami. I should try my Hogan's Alley with the converter and the Zapper plugged into controller #1 when I get home. Most games that are light gun only expect the Zapper in port #1 right? Because the N8 menu doesn't work from controller 2 and I have to keep the Zapper in port #2.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

I'm interested in this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXqIkDm2jkc

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ACID POLICE posted:

I'm sure I'll end up as posting on the KRIKzz board but what are you supposed to do with a Zapper and a N8 :saddowns:

I hope it isn't a problem with the Zapper and the AV Fami. I should try my Hogan's Alley with the converter and the Zapper plugged into controller #1 when I get home. Most games that are light gun only expect the Zapper in port #1 right? Because the N8 menu doesn't work from controller 2 and I have to keep the Zapper in port #2.

AV Fami needs to be modded for the NES zapper to work in the regular ports. Otherwise, you are supposed to use the EXT port on the right side of the AV Fami and the Famicom zapper.

I never played PC games (no real reason for this) but this was pretty much all of 1994 into 1995 with friends:

+

:allears:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So my work is going through a "spring fling". They're asking employees to dump old files and electronics in the building for recycling so they have bins and carts around all the hallways here. I was on my way out of a meeting and noticed a random PS2 with 2 controllers sitting in a cart. I obviously grabbed it. If it works, great, I have another PS2. If not, hey I got parts. Controllers are always a plus though. :hellyeah:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I can't decide if everyone else was more or less cool than I was.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

ACID POLICE posted:

http://famicomworld.com/workshop/tech/nes-zapper-on-av-famicom/

Very quick and easy.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Caitlin posted:

The day I was born, the B52s performed "Rock Lobster" on SNL as the musical guest. I'd say that the B52s are pretty cool.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Awesome, I had a feeling Google would have just told me the answer but I just had to post!

Here are a few music/album associations of mine you can enjoy~

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

flyboi posted:

OEM Saturn S-Video cable. I know someone here had dibs on it.

It's me I'm the dibs guy!

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 2, 2013

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.

Caitlin posted:

I would say this combination is a Pretty Cool combination of things.

For me it was:

Queen and D&D, they go together like peanut butter and chocolate.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

I think this is the loving winner right here.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

absolutely anything posted:

It's me I'm the dibs guy! I don't have PMs though, my gmail is <snip> if you want to get at me there!

Email sent!

flyboi fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 2, 2013

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

flyboi posted:

Email sent!

I think my post got caught up in the flurry of album associations, but I'm interested in FDS Metroid. My email is athreshe at gmail.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Not bad, not bad.

Caitlin posted:

B-52s and Ren and Stimpy, that's pretty cool I'd say.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Unmature posted:

This is exactly the kind of setup I want. Simple, clean and gorgeous. I always love when people decorate their battlestations with little game goodies. Psyduck and a plush alpaca from Harvest Moon watch over my stuff. I used to have two of the Sonic Colors preorder hats, but I sold them for way too much money right before they were being sold in Hot Topics and FYEs. Are those Ragnarok plushies on top of the TV? Where did they come from?

Thanks! Yes they are, I got them for free at GameConvention in Leipzig (that's Gamescom in Cologne now) back in 2006 I think. It was right after euRO launched and they promoted the poo poo out of it. I played iRO at the time so I was psyched to get them.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

+

+

midge fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 2, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fixed that for you to the only acceptable answer.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

Thanks! Yes they are, I got them for free at GameConvention in Leipzig (that's Gamescom in Cologne now) back in 2006 I think. It was right after euRO launched and they promoted the poo poo out of it. I played iRO at the time so I was psyched to get them.

I've only played Ragnarok Odyssey which XSEED put out late last year for Vita. It's a pretty good Monster Hunter ripoff. Or at least it's on the right track. It's a lot of fun in groups for like 20 hours but gets considerably less fun and kinda wears out its welcome. I'm excited for the sequel, though. Vita really needs a great Monster Hunter rip.

I had a really good time with the peeps on the XSEED forums. ...man I love XSEED. Everyone buy all of their games so they keep bringing us great stuff that no other publisher will touch.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Unmature posted:

Vita really needs a great Monster Hunter rip.

Play Soul Sacrifice. That's the game you're looking for.

God, reading this thread is killing me inside. Growing up, I never had an SNES, because I asked for one and my mom opted for a Genesis instead. Kinda felt cheated. Now, as an adult, I'm finally going back and getting to play those games that I missed out on, and I'm having to restrain myself from buying all the classics, because it seems just a little bit irresponsible to not pay bills just to get my retro fix. Meanwhile, I'm drooling over pictures of an XRGB Mini in action, and my wife is saying I can go ahead and buy it when we have the cash. But then, I need RGB output to really utilize it to its full potential. So I have to pay for that too. And the games. ALL the games. At least, if I want to be a little cheaper about it, I can get one of the flashcarts.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
How could you be cheated with that REAL STEREO SOUND? I never had a Genesis growing up and didn't know anybody with one, either, so I'm having as much fun discovering the Genesis now as I did playing the SNES when I was growing up. Also in my opinion, spend your money on a Mega Everdrive and a SD2SNES and use whatever tube TV. Playing games is most important.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I got a Gameboy player and the Disc for 40 bucks. Only problem is the Gameboy Player disc has no case. Did the disc have a case to begin with, or was it just packaged in a paper sleeve? I take 40 dollars with the player and disc is a pretty good deal since I looked up on ebay and the prices for the disc only were around the same as I got it complete.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 2, 2013

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
SD2SNES is what I've been looking at (as well as that fancy new NES form-factor N8). Don't get me wrong, I had a ton of fun with my Genesis, once I got some more games. But I was the kid that wanted more Mario games, after playing 1-3 on the NES. Platforming in Sonic wasn't even close to the same kind of experience, and that's what soured me on it more than anything. You're probably right on using the tube TV. I've got one that's pretty much perfect, but it's the one my son uses primarily. Maybe I could use it as a springboard to get him into gaming, though.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

G-Prime posted:

God, reading this thread is killing me inside. Growing up, I never had an SNES, because I asked for one and my mom opted for a Genesis instead. Kinda felt cheated. Now, as an adult, I'm finally going back and getting to play those games that I missed out on, and I'm having to restrain myself from buying all the classics, because it seems just a little bit irresponsible to not pay bills just to get my retro fix. Meanwhile, I'm drooling over pictures of an XRGB Mini in action, and my wife is saying I can go ahead and buy it when we have the cash. But then, I need RGB output to really utilize it to its full potential. So I have to pay for that too. And the games. ALL the games. At least, if I want to be a little cheaper about it, I can get one of the flashcarts.

I was in the same situation, I grew up with the Sega Genesis and skipped over the SNES entirely while it was current. A relative of mine was getting rid of their SNES a year or so ago and I picked it up. I looked around for cheap games and found a lot of the good SNES titles for around 10-20 bucks. I'm now bordering on 100 SNES games. :retrogames:

I think my biggest recent find was getting Super Metroid, Link to the Past and Final Fantasy II for 15 bucks each.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

WendigoJohnson posted:

So I got a Gameboy player and the Disc for 40 bucks. Only problem is the Gameboy Player disc has no case. Did the disc have a case to begin with, or was it just packaged in a paper sleeve? I take 40 dollars with the player and disc is a pretty good deal since I looked up on ebay and the prices for the disc only were around the same as I got it complete.

Also, please do something about your giant red text.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

zenintrude posted:

Also, please do something about your giant red text.

Ah so it's just a clear plastic case then, nothing that needs to be replicated.

Also someone has spent close to $90 ensuring that I keep the giant red text.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

G-Prime posted:

Play Soul Sacrifice. That's the game you're looking for.

I played like 3 minutes of the demo because the Vita thread was freaking out about it. Got distracted by something and have yet to go back. I'll do that when I'm done powering through Deadly Premonition DC for a review.

Also for retro content:
Mega Man is hard, right you guys? So hard. S'fun, though.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

WendigoJohnson posted:

The Japanese package.
The case was blue, making it easy for me to find in the pile.

I have another one that's wine red that came in the Char (Gundam) red GC bundle.
Not shown in this photo.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

WendigoJohnson posted:

I think my biggest recent find was getting Super Metroid, Link to the Past and Final Fantasy II for 15 bucks each.

This is a pretty awesome price, and I know nothing of video game market rates or anything. That's just a hell of a lot of enjoyment for $15.

I was thinking about that the other day - what a fair price for games is as they get older. I keep having this mindset by default that old games should be cheap, but really, why is that? Because they're old? Because the run on previous-gen hardware? If we talk about it in terms of replayability/quality of the game, I think stuff like LttP, Super Metroid, FF4/6, CT, etc are perfectly reasonably priced at $40. Compare them to modern games in all but appearance and the hardware they're running on, and I think they still hold up.

I know prices are mostly determined by rarity/demand/etc, but it's interesting to really think about what determines a fair price for a game.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I have another one that's wine red that came in the Char (Gundam) red GC bundle.
Not shown in this photo.

The coolest Gamecube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
It's not three times faster than the regular GC.
I feel cheated.

• Locked thread