Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

what the loving christ, how did presumably numerous editors actually allow this to go through

I wish Nielsen and every other piece of poo poo saying poo poo like this would allow for the thought to occur to them that gay people don't want, or need, the "FORGIVENESS" or "MERCY" of anyone who values milleniums-old interpretations of a book full of subjective opinions over basic loving human rights, and they sure as poo poo don't care that some asshat with his head so far up his rear end that he can't tell it's 20-loving-13 has decided they're all sinners and require the salvation of someone else's god, lest they be forced to serve the rest of their eternity into damnation

Also this 100% secondary, as the anti-gay feces that seeped from his brain was so utterly distracting as to blind me from journalism's own cardinal sin, and it took two people pointing it out on Twitter for me to notice it, but: holy poo poo all the loving one-sentence paragraphs. There were exactly 23 of them, out of 24 paragraphs. and the singular paragraph that isn't a one-sentence paragraph is a three-sentence paragraph with a one-word sentence. Aside from offending all possible sensibilities as a human, you'd also think it was written by a hosed-up sixth grader, in terms of pure readability

Welp that was fun. Hey speaking of things that should never appear in a real loving newspaper, the Detroit News apparently had Bleacher Reprt guest-editor it yesterday: a Top 50 WAGs slideshow. Not to say that newspapers and real journalism are dying or whatever, but these pieces of actual poo poo, put in print, are where beliefs like that come from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Bullshit slide shows don't really bother me unless it's the only thing a site provides or if a story is shoehorned into the format. It's just like the horoscopes or comic strips; it's popular and provides some money for actual reportage, and it's easy enough to ignore. The Detroit News at least seems to be aware of how skeezy a WAG list is, since they're promising a Husbands, Athletes and Boyfriends follow-up.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

morestuff posted:

Bullshit slide shows don't really bother me unless it's the only thing a site provides or if a story is shoehorned into the format. It's just like the horoscopes or comic strips; it's popular and provides some money for actual reportage, and it's easy enough to ignore. The Detroit News at least seems to be aware of how skeezy a WAG list is, since they're promising a Husbands, Athletes and Boyfriends follow-up.

I don't know, I think if they were aware how sleazy it is they just wouldn't have done it??? ah, drat... this is a paradox. jeez.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

uublog posted:

I wish Nielsen and every other piece of poo poo saying poo poo like this would allow for the thought to occur to them that gay people don't want, or need, the "FORGIVENESS" or "MERCY" of anyone who values milleniums-old interpretations of a book full of subjective opinions over basic loving human rights, and they sure as poo poo don't care that some asshat with his head so far up his rear end that he can't tell it's 20-loving-13 has decided they're all sinners and require the salvation of someone else's god, lest they be forced to serve the rest of their eternity into damnation

Not that I think it redeems these folks in any way, but you might want to be careful making blanket statements about what "gay people don't want or need". You're in danger of agreeing with all those idiots who say gay people can't be Christian, even if you're framing it as Christians being the bad guys.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
You all missed the best part: He compared Jason Collins' homosexuality to Shawn Kemp's proclivity for fathering illegitimate children.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

You all missed the best part: He compared Jason Collins' homosexuality to Shawn Kemp's proclivity for fathering illegitimate children.

And made no attempt to connect the two!

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

morestuff posted:

I guess if any American city is making a HABs list, it's Hockeytown.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ribsauce posted:

I don't watch ESPN outside of actual sports (and 30/30 sometimes) but did Leach's Washington State behavior receive anywhere near the same coverage?

Given that I have the vaguest recollections of Leach even being a WSU in the first place, I'm with "nowhere near the same coverage."

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Hey now, Shawn Kemp's ability to father children was loving Herculean if not heroic. I think his nickname was actually "Rain Man" because of his ability to rain semen on any woman he saw.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

Hey now, Shawn Kemp's ability to father children was loving Herculean if not heroic. I think his nickname was actually "Rain Man" because of his ability to rain semen on any woman he saw.

What a visual

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

1. Shawn Kemp = Promiscuous
2. All Gays = Promiscuous
3. (All Gays[Jason Collins])

Ergo, Jason Collins is like Shawn Kemp.

I see his logic :pseudo:

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
how the gently caress does chris broussard go to oberlin and come out with those views :psyduck:

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

how the gently caress does chris broussard go to oberlin and come out with those views :psyduck:

Yet as long as Lena Dunham exists, he's not the person I detest the most from that school.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Michelle Malkin is an Oberlin grad. She really ought to win that title.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

hcreight posted:

Michelle Malkin is an Oberlin grad. She really ought to win that title.

holy poo poo i had no idea wow

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Dr_Strangelove posted:

1. Shawn Kemp = Promiscuous
2. All Gays = Promiscuous
3. (All Gays[Jason Collins])

Ergo, Jason Collins is like Shawn Kemp.

I see his logic :pseudo:

Sex out of heterosexual wedlock is wrong, according to the Bible. Both committed these sins,ergo Collins is like Kemp ( my note WE ARE ALL LIKE THESE 2 according to the Bible).

ManifunkDestiny fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 6, 2013

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

holy poo poo i had no idea wow
Yep. Part of what pushed her all the way to the right as opposed to just being a moderate Republican was her experience at what she termed "radically Left-Wing" Oberlin.

Also, a friendly reminder: this is the same woman who wrote an entire book centered on the main idea that the United States government's internment of Japanese citizens during World War II was a good decision - good policy and good for the safety of those Japanese-Americans.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Crazy Ted posted:

Yep. Part of what pushed her all the way to the right as opposed to just being a moderate Republican was her experience at what she termed "radically Left-Wing" Oberlin.

Also, a friendly reminder: this is the same woman who wrote an entire book centered on the main idea that the United States government's internment of Japanese citizens during World War II was a good decision - good policy and good for the safety of those Japanese-Americans.

Look, freezing tar paper shacks on the plains of Wyoming are good for your health, OK?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Look, freezing tar paper shacks on the plains of Wyoming are good for your health, OK?

Tell that to Mr Miyagi :(

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Darren Rovell everybody

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/331909389965475840

quote:

No one forces people to work at Nike factories. They work there to make a living and are given what the marketplace says they're worth.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Holy poo poo.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sweatshops exist because they're able to pay the workers much more than what they'd get in other occupations in those countries.

They're terrible though, and there is absolutely no excuse for Nike, Levi and others to not accept anything more than the highest working condition standards for their employees. Everything from safety to decent work hours should be mandatory. Little kids should not be toiling away on a pair of loving sneakers on only 4 hours sleep. That's disgusting and wrong.

Darren Rovell is also an idiot.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 8, 2013

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Is there some outlet (not twitter replies) at ESPN where you can report behavior like Rovell's?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Time Traveling Darren Rovell in NYC on March 26, 1911 posted:

These girls weren't forced to work here. If they didn't like being locked inside a building such that they couldn't get out when a horrific fire started, they could have looked for work elsewhere. Hey New York, there's 146 job openings in the garment district!

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
It's a stupid opinion but a majority of Americans agrees with him. The most common retort I heard/read after the Bangladesh factory collapse was WHY DID THEY GO IN THEN IF THEY KNEW THE FACTORY WAS COLLAPSING THEY COULD JUST GET ANOTHER JOB

I think the jobless are taking out their anger on those with actual poo poo jobs by using that rhetoric again and again

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Badfinger posted:

Is there some outlet (not twitter replies) at ESPN where you can report behavior like Rovell's?
They just hired Robert Lipsyte as their new ombudsman about two weeks ago, but I'm not sure how to contact him yet. The feedback link they have still refers to the Poynter Project, which ended, and Lipsyte doesn't formally assume the role till June 1st.

Lipsyte being hired might be a very good thing, the dude is kind of a giant and not a douche. Here's a good New Republic summation: http://www.newrepublic.com/article/113010/espn-ombudsman-robert-lipsyte-interviewed-marc-tracy

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Rovell has been doing this stupid poo poo for years. I can only guess that ESPN likes the attention it brings.

ESPN has also had good ombudsman's in the past and it never changed anything.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Personally I don't get how Rovell can object to those mocking and ridiculing him. If he didn't want to be criticized and called a shithead and told to drink bleach and whatever else, he should've just not said really offensive things in a public forum like Twitter.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

uublog posted:

Personally I don't get how Rovell can object to those mocking and ridiculing him. If he didn't want to be criticized and called a shithead and told to drink bleach and whatever else, he should've just not said really offensive things in a public forum like Twitter.

He doesn't think he did say a really offensive thing.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Mornacale posted:

Better yet: if he doesn't want to be criticized in public, he should just not exist in public

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

uublog posted:

Better yet: if he doesn't want to be criticized in public, he should just not exist in public

If he didn't want me digging through his garbage he shouldn't have tried to express himself creatively.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Mornacale posted:

Yep, he seems completely oblivious to coming across like a self-important shithead. This article is darrenrovell.txt.

http://deadspin.com/5882348/darren-rovell-is-super-pissed-about-the-state-of-the-playboy-super-bowl-party-playboy-bunny-strikes-back

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Will Leitch wrote a pro-read takedown of Rovell awhile back.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/41529820/

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

uublog posted:

But freedom of speech! :911:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I thought this was an interesting piece that talks about the Blackhawks hypocrisy in demanding the firing of Susannah Collins.

I also think it brings up a weird line that is crossed when teams own the networks that they play on. Josh Mora was also let go a couple years ago from the station for breaking a story that the Blackhawks didn't want out. There is a lot of talk of conflicts of interest when it comes to ESPN, but NBC puts their name on these regional networks and deserve the same criticism.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Niwrad posted:

I thought this was an interesting piece that talks about the Blackhawks hypocrisy in demanding the firing of Susannah Collins.

I also think it brings up a weird line that is crossed when teams own the networks that they play on. Josh Mora was also let go a couple years ago from the station for breaking a story that the Blackhawks didn't want out. There is a lot of talk of conflicts of interest when it comes to ESPN, but NBC puts their name on these regional networks and deserve the same criticism.

Holy christ

quote:

Hull’s second wife, Joanne, whom he wed in 1960 and divorced in 1980, told an ESPN documentary in 2002 that she “took a real beating” at his hands. She described an incident during which Hull “threw me in the room, and just proceeded to knock the heck out of me. He took my shoe – with a steel heel – and proceeded to hit me in the head. I was covered with blood. And I can remember him holding me over the balcony, and I thought this is the end, I’m going.”

She filed to end the marriage in 1970 after several more incidents, but they reconciled until Hull threatened her with a loaded shotgun in 1978. Their daughter, Michelle, also described his pattern of behavior to “Sports Century,” and she now works as an attorney specializing in domestic violence.

He remarried in 1984, but the incidents of physical abuse continued for new wife Deborah. Hull was arrested in the parking lot of their Willowbrook condominium in 1986 during a violent domestic altercation, and was eventually convicted for taking a swing at an intervening police officer. Willowbrook Police Chief Steven List said “there was evidence he had struck his wife in the face. She had some contusions, some swelling.”

[...]

In 1998, Hull spoke out on behalf of the Nazis and against the speed of growth of the black population in the US, telling the English-language Moscow Times that “Hitler, for example, had some good ideas. He just went a little bit too far.”

Asked if this stance might be described as racist, he replied “I don’t give a drat. I’m not running for any political office.”

Remember that all of your favorite sports heroes are actually terrible people when they're *not* playing dumb sports for millions upon millions of dollars

uublog fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 8, 2013

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Speaking of which, y'all better go read Pat Jordan's 1984 piece on Steve Carlton.

quote:

He believes that the last eight U.S. presidents have been guilty of treason, that President Clinton "has a black son" he won't acknowledge and that his wife, Hillary, "is a dyke," and that the AIDS virus was created at a secret Maryland biological warfare laboratory "to get rid of gays and blacks, and now they have a strain of the virus that can live ten days in the air or on a plate of food, because you know who most of the waiters are," and finally, that most of the mass murderers in this country who open fire indiscriminately in fast-food restaurants "are hypnotized to kill those people and then themselves immediately afterwards," as in the movie The Manchurian Candidate. He blinks once, twice, and says, "Who hypnotizes them? They do!"

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Also, read Brian Phillips' piece on the Iditarod right now because it's more important than anything you've ever read and it might be the most important sports story written in years beginning with a 2.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

BTW, that same writer from the Hull article above wrote this about the totally awesome You Can Play project:

quote:

When the first active pro hockey player comes out, the support structure will have been there for some time, thanks to the “You Can Play” efforts of Patrick Burke, a Flyers scout and the son of Brian Burke, the former GM of Hartford, Vancouver, Anaheim, Toronto and the most recent U.S. Olympic team. Patrick’s openly-gay brother, Brendan, was killed in a car accident in 2010, and he chose to honor his memory by working to create a welcoming atmosphere for a hockey player who happens to be gay.

“You Can Play” was built to change the culture of the locker room and educate fans, using the help of 60 players last year to create videos asking for awareness and understanding. The first was Bruins captain Zdeno Chara, with the others following immediately and enthusiastically.

It’s important to point out this genuine, motivated activism. Burke and others did not coalesce around a pioneering player after the fact, but chose to make difficult inroads beforehand. Their mission statement reads, in part, “You Can Play is dedicated to ensuring equality, respect and safety for all athletes, without regard to sexual orientation. You Can Play works to guarantee that athletes are given a fair opportunity to compete, judged by other athletes and fans alike, only by what they contribute to the sport or their team’s success.”

Sounds simple and obvious, but hockey has never been the most progressive of sports.

Credit not only goes to Burke and YCP, but to commissioner Gary Bettman and the NHL Players Association who decided to make the partnership with the league official on April 11th. Eighteen days before Jason Collins made news, a major sports league was already committing itself publicly and proudly to “a more inclusive hockey community at all levels.”

They announced LGBT outreach, training and education for players and fans, PSAs, counseling programs, and seminars at the rookie symposiums. After a bitter labor battle pitted Bettman against NHLPA chief Donald Fehr just months ago, the two stood together in affirming the first partnership of this kind for a league, a union, and a gay advocacy group.

Methinks this Dan Bernstein guy is one of the better ones

Also worth mentioning on this topic is the many It Gets Better videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

He should get together with Darren Daulton and Lenny Dykstra sometime, that'd be a gooooooood night