Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Factory Factory posted:

Also, this is worth mentioning, since the R-SKU desktop chips have a 65W TDP, they're compatible with Intel's Thin Mini-ITX standard and cooler. That means you can cram those graphics into a DIY all-in-one or supermini build. :circlefap:

Didn't the say that gt3e was non socket only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Malcolm XML posted:

Didn't the say that gt3e was non socket only?

Probably, since anyone buying a socketed CPU is either going to get a separate graphics card, or they won't be using the new features anyway.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Doesn't mean there won't be a thin-mini-ITX board with a compatible mount (or a different revision of the cooler).

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

incoherent posted:

No, I think it's laughable that they'd compete with eyefinity but it does bode well for muti-high dpi/resolution monitor support.

Why would it be laughable?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Why would it be laughable?
It's plausible that the new graphics core can put a game on one monitor at reasonable settings and have it playable. That it will do three is just not in the cards.

Unless "competing with eyefinity" is just the ability to put Windows apps on 3 monitors, in which case whatever. Plenty of office workers get multiple monitors so it's nice they won't have to spec a basic video card for their Dells, but that's not what Eyefinity is all about.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Klyith posted:

It's plausible that the new graphics core can put a game on one monitor at reasonable settings and have it playable. That it will do three is just not in the cards.

Unless "competing with eyefinity" is just the ability to put Windows apps on 3 monitors, in which case whatever. Plenty of office workers get multiple monitors so it's nice they won't have to spec a basic video card for their Dells, but that's not what Eyefinity is all about.

AMD puts Eyefinity on APUs and markets it with potentially-lower-oomph titles like Dirt. That's what Intel is competing with.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Well 13.5 B2 drivers still are giving me those fun texture flickers with my Sapphire Radeon 7850.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce0sS_uvO7c

It's like that but not as pronounced and harder to reproduce. The flicker lasts about as long as what's in that video but only flickers once or twice or so.

e: Forgot to ask my question. Would it be worth it just go "gently caress it" and buy a 600ti in the near future? Because besides that flicker once in awhile everything works fine.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 3, 2013

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I'd say the 7850 can still last for a while, and if the flickers aren't bothering you more than that, might as well wait to replace it. I don't plan on replacing mine for a while, anyway, despite disliking the AMD driver roulette.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah. I'll probably hold onto the 7850. I don't really want to spend $280+ for a new video card right now.

The flicker has only been really jarring one time when it decided to show up every time the camera faced one of the npcs during a conversation in The Witcher 2.

amp281
Dec 31, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

havenwaters posted:

Well 13.5 B2 drivers still are giving me those fun texture flickers with my Sapphire Radeon 7850.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce0sS_uvO7c

It's like that but not as pronounced and harder to reproduce. The flicker lasts about as long as what's in that video but only flickers once or twice or so.

e: Forgot to ask my question. Would it be worth it just go "gently caress it" and buy a 600ti in the near future? Because besides that flicker once in awhile everything works fine.

That sucks, haven't had much of any flickering with my XFX 7850. I have some problems with artifacts on my second monitor around the mouse and menu bars when I alt tab out of a windowed game though. Have you checked the card's temperature with a monitoring program while running it at load?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

amp281 posted:

That sucks, haven't had much of any flickering with my XFX 7850. I have some problems with artifacts on my second monitor around the mouse and menu bars when I alt tab out of a windowed game though. Have you checked the card's temperature with a monitoring program while running it at load?

Yeah, nothing too bad. It usually maxes out at 65 Celsius. It just seems like the geometry texture issues happen for no reason but at least they are rare and unlike that video will happen once and then if you try to get the camera back to show it again they are gone. It'll happen again later (either in a few seconds or like a half hour later or not at all). It seems to happen the most with The Witcher 2 but I've noticed it in several other games, most of them use DirectX 9.

I don't remember seeing them in Metro 2033 or Bioshock Infinite when both are in DirectX 11 mode. I've completely cleaned out the drivers. I wonder if DirectX 9 broke somehow or if the Sapphire cards just have some minor issues with those games.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 3, 2013

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

havenwaters posted:

Yeah, nothing too bad. It usually maxes out at 65 Celsius. It just seems like the geometry texture issues happen for no reason but at least they are rare and unlike that video will happen once and then if you try to get the camera back to show it again they are gone. It'll happen again later (either in a few seconds or like a half hour later or not at all). It seems to happen the most with The Witcher 2 but I've noticed it in several other games, most of them use DirectX 9.

I don't remember seeing them in Metro 2033 or Bioshock Infinite when both are in DirectX 11 mode. I've completely cleaned out the drivers. I wonder if DirectX 9 broke somehow or if the Sapphire cards just have some minor issues with those games.

Yes, it's relatively common knowledge that the geometry corruption happens in DX9 games. That's about the only thing AMD ever acknowledged about it, too. It's pretty much impossible to debug for a layperson, as the issue apparently occurs between the driver and the GPU. (It doesn't show on GPU playbacks with Intel GPA, for instance.)

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Jan posted:

Yes, it's relatively common knowledge that the geometry corruption happens in DX9 games. That's about the only thing AMD ever acknowledged about it, too. It's pretty much impossible to debug for a layperson, as the issue apparently occurs between the driver and the GPU. (It doesn't show on GPU playbacks with Intel GPA, for instance.)

Oh well. I did go and downgrade to 12.6 since those predate the geometry issue and yep it stopped it. Of course those drivers are also almost a year old so I went back to 13.5b2. I'll live with whatever it was amd did to their drivers between now and last year.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

havenwaters posted:

I should try that again at some point. Is there anyway to disable windows update from automatically grabbing the cached drivers that seem to persist even when I use driver sweeper and CCleaner in safe mode (I had this same issue on my HP laptop at one point and bad amd drivers and I eventually just gave up and reformatted the drat thing)

Not that I know of, but easiest for me has been downloading the driver, removing the old one, disable or disconnect the wired/wireless adapter, then doing a full removal/reinstall to avoid Windows Update doing its auto-update. Once that's all done and the old drivers are clean, the fresh install is a lot easier, then you can just re-enable your wired or wireless when it's done.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

havenwaters posted:

Oh well. I did go and downgrade to 12.6 since those predate the geometry issue and yep it stopped it. Of course those drivers are also almost a year old so I went back to 13.5b2. I'll live with whatever it was amd did to their drivers between now and last year.

Yeah, I'm currently in the process of trying to fix a whole new AMD Driver Roulette™ gently caress-up.

Fez wasn't working with 13.3, so I figured I'd use that as a pretext to try 13.5... Except 13.5 does not output any video. Even starting in 640x480 mode (not safe mode) doesn't show anything on the monitors.

On the other hand, I tried using Driver Fusion (instead of Driver Sweeper) for the first time, and honestly that whole piece of software looks so shady and badly made that I'd just as easily blame that.

Edit: Welp, it looks like the AMD Install Manager hangs when uninstalling Catalyst. It used to crash (every single time, since the very beginning of this Windows installation) but I could just run driver sweeper and go on normally. Now it just hangs. And of course, rebooting without safe mode leads to no video. Booting into safe mode means I can't use the install manager to finish the uninstallation.

And this is the time I find out that I had only allocated enough drive space to store one or two system restore points...

Edit 2: Used Driver Sweeper in safe mode, rebooted, got video, installed 13.5 again, and I get video, on my secondary monitor only. Through some shortcut usage, I get the resolution changing dialog on my second monitor, and make it the main monitor. Eventually ended up lowering the main monitor from 2560x1600 to 1920x1200, and now it shows up. Tried installing CCC to see if it has any fancy DisplayPort options, it doesn't even run due to some missing .NET assemblies. (I have .NET, you loving shitheads.)

gently caress this poo poo, this driver's a lemon.

Edit 3: On the bright side, Fez works with it! :laugh:

Edit 4: Uninstalled and nuked 13.5 again with Driver Fusion. Looks like among all this fumbling, the issue with AMD's install manager crashing on uninstall fixed itself. Installed 13.4, Fez works, but at this rate I bet it'll break everything else.

Jan fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 5, 2013

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Your issues sound very similar to a thing I had happen to me about a year ago, except mine was with my nvidia card. At some point I installed new drivers over the top of old ones without fully uninstalling. Windows XP used to be ok with that, but 7 gets hosed up.

Basically every time after that when I tried to update drivers, windows would dig out this old version from the depths of WinSXS and try to install its files instead. Driver cleaning programs would remove the active files, but not the backups from whatever buttcrack they were lodged in. Finally I had to remove any new drivers, and let windows go back the old ones so I could find which exact version they were. Then I got that exact version from nvidia's driver archive, installed it, then used the uninstaller properly. That finally got rid of everything, and I could update again with no problems.

MrDude
Jun 23, 2011
E: Couldn't figure out which thread to put that question in because I missed an entire subforum for tech support, whoops. Thanks for pointing that out!
vvv

MrDude fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 5, 2013

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm wondering why this isn't in tech support? I'm also wondering why you are down scaling games with that card.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Klyith posted:

Your issues sound very similar to a thing I had happen to me about a year ago, except mine was with my nvidia card. At some point I installed new drivers over the top of old ones without fully uninstalling. Windows XP used to be ok with that, but 7 gets hosed up.

Basically every time after that when I tried to update drivers, windows would dig out this old version from the depths of WinSXS and try to install its files instead. Driver cleaning programs would remove the active files, but not the backups from whatever buttcrack they were lodged in. Finally I had to remove any new drivers, and let windows go back the old ones so I could find which exact version they were. Then I got that exact version from nvidia's driver archive, installed it, then used the uninstaller properly. That finally got rid of everything, and I could update again with no problems.

WinSXS is the devil's rear end in a top hat.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

KillHour posted:

WinSXS is the devil's rear end in a top hat.

Yes, you're absolutely right, DLL hell was way more convenient! :ironicat:

Also, take this with a grain of salt since I haven't ever worked with WinSXS, but I'm pretty sure GPU drivers cannot be run from SXS. The kernel mode driver framework doesn't work in a way that allows running the same driver twice in parallel. Of course, with the amount of non-kernel level libraries that drivers come with nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised if that stuff ends up causing trouble with SXS copies.

All in all, what I do know of driver programming is painful enough that I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Game engines are bad enough. :v:

Anyway, 13.4 have been working fine so far. I might not have the Crossfire gains proclaimed by the 13.5 beta for Tomb Raider and Bioshock, but at least they work.

Jan fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 5, 2013

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jan posted:

Also, take this with a grain of salt since I haven't ever worked with WinSXS, but I'm pretty sure GPU drivers cannot be run from SXS. The kernel mode driver framework doesn't work in a way that allows running the same driver twice in parallel. Of course, with the amount of non-kernel level libraries that drivers come with nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised if that stuff ends up causing trouble with SXS copies.
It wasn't running the drivers out of winsxs, I'm pretty sure it just had copies of the dlls and driver inf there that it was using to reinstall. And yes, sxs does solve more problems than it creates, usually. It's just way more impenetrable. It can also be annoying on an SSD in terms of space consumed.

quote:

All in all, what I do know of driver programming is painful enough that I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Game engines are bad enough. :v:
God yes. Normal hardware drivers are bad enough, but modern graphics drivers are some unholy combination of driver and real-time compiler. We'll see how well AMD treats me after being on the green team for so long, but even nvidia hasn't been perfect at times.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

So, I bought that Sapphire 7950 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202030) reference a few weeks ago, and it's got a blower. It runs hotter than I'd like it to (and is loud as gently caress at high speed), so I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Accelero Xtreme, or any iterations of it? I don't really think I have the money for watercooling, so this looks like a decent alternative to the blower.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
IIRC those after-market GPU coolers all reviewed favorably well, the only drawbacks being price and sometime difficulty of install.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

spouse posted:

So, I bought that Sapphire 7950 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202030) reference a few weeks ago, and it's got a blower. It runs hotter than I'd like it to (and is loud as gently caress at high speed), so I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Accelero Xtreme, or any iterations of it? I don't really think I have the money for watercooling, so this looks like a decent alternative to the blower.
I put the Accelero Xtreme 7970 on my reference 7970 and it was goddamned amazing how quiet it became. Yes the install took a while, but so long as you follow one of the guides found on the internet it wasn't too bad.

Just know that your card will be out of commission for about a day while you make certain all of the pastes dries to 100%.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TheRationalRedditor posted:

IIRC those after-market GPU coolers all reviewed favorably well, the only drawbacks being price and sometime difficulty of install.
And space requirements, but I suppose anyone who has a 79xx card already had a big roomy case.

One thing to try before spending on a aftermarket heatsink: look at your vsynch settings. I was a bit annoyed that my new 7870, which has top fans not a blower, was making a lot more noise than my old GTX460. In particular it was spinning the fans on high in relatively simple games like Kerbal Space Program where I'm not sealed into my headphones to block the noise. But I figured out that RadeonPro disabled vsynch by default, so the card was running max speed to render 140 kerbals per second.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
Is there anywhere I can see how an ~$100 current card would compare to my 5850? I'd rather wait for the next gen to do a larger upgrade, but was hoping I could get a small boost until then.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

subx posted:

Is there anywhere I can see how an ~$100 current card would compare to my 5850? I'd rather wait for the next gen to do a larger upgrade, but was hoping I could get a small boost until then.

See title.

Also, "next gen" isn't coming for a while, the next releases are mostly rehashes of the current ones.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That was a fairly high end card and the current generation has a really weak budget range so any 100$ card would be a step down. I think even in the 150$ range it'd probably be a fairly lateral step.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/512?vs=680 The 650 TI is around 150$ now and arguably about even while the plain 650 is around 130$ and a step down.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

subx posted:

Unless you get a deal on a used card somewhere, no. 5850 is somewhat more powerful than current $100 cards.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
New shots of the Kepler refresh, the GTX700 series

I guess they're sticking with the Titan/690 cooler as the new reference cooler, which is pretty awesome.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Jan posted:

See title.

Also, "next gen" isn't coming for a while, the next releases are mostly rehashes of the current ones.

It wasn't so much an upgrade question as asking for somewhere that lets you compare older cards to current gen (that aren't top of the line $500 cards).

And yea, I realize they aren't coming out for a while, which is why I wanted a midstep until then.

craig588 posted:

That was a fairly high end card and the current generation has a really weak budget range so any 100$ card would be a step down. I think even in the 150$ range it'd probably be a fairly lateral step.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/512?vs=680 The 650 TI is around 150$ now and arguably about even while the plain 650 is around 130$ and a step down.

That's surprising. I haven't kept up with video cards much the past couple of years, but when I did after 2-3 years you could buy something quite a bit faster for ~100-150. The budget market is where I usually pointed people to when they are building a first gaming pc or whatever, so that's pretty disappointing that my 3 year old $350 card is still in that same range. (edit - not disappointing for me so much since it's been a fantastic card, but for people getting into the hobby)

And that link is pretty much exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

subx posted:

That's surprising. I haven't kept up with video cards much the past couple of years, but when I did after 2-3 years you could buy something quite a bit faster for ~100-150. The budget market is where I usually pointed people to when they are building a first gaming pc or whatever, so that's pretty disappointing that my 3 year old $350 card is still in that same range. (edit - not disappointing for me so much since it's been a fantastic card, but for people getting into the hobby)

And that link is pretty much exactly what I was looking for, thanks.
Combination of:
1) The 58xx / 4xx generation was a pretty fantastic one. The two since then haven't exactly been stagnant, but the extended console cycle pushed some design attention from raw fps power to stuff like GPU compute, new AA methods, etc.

2) The $100-150 budget card bracket is always pretty crappy. They take forever to catch up to high performance cards from previous years, because they're built with a lot of compromises for price. At $100 a lot more of your money is going to fixed costs like the pcb & assembly, packaging, transport, etc. The $200-300 midrange is normally where you get good value for money at the spread of price points, and then you start entering diminishing returns after that.

Pointing people at a $150 budget card for their first gaming pc is ok if they're really price conscious, a fairly casual gamer, or a WoW junkie. But someone who plays big AAA on a 360/PS3 will probably be disappointed.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

New shots of the Kepler refresh, the GTX700 series

I guess they're sticking with the Titan/690 cooler as the new reference cooler, which is pretty awesome.

It'll be interesting to see the performance numbers when they're finally reviewed. I can see a fair number of people interested in the 780 if it can be over-clocked to performance levels that approach a normal Titan, but for a couple hundred less dollars.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

subx posted:

It wasn't so much an upgrade question as asking for somewhere that lets you compare older cards to current gen (that aren't top of the line $500 cards).

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7790-bonaire-performance,3462-3.html

Tom's review of the 7790 includes a 6870--a card very similar to your own. In terms of performance, unless you get a deal on an NV 660, nothing under $200 is really much of an upgrade. In terms of heat and power, it's night and day: newer cards are much, much more efficient.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I've recently noticed that in some games my GTX 670 will cap at 60fps even while vsync is disabled. I've checked the settings in the games and in Nvidia control panel and vsync is turned off everywhere. Is there another setting that could be doing this, like a framerate limit?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
If Vsync and Adaptive Vsync are disabled in the drivers (globally AND in your per-game profile), also insure that your framerate limit is turned off in your videocard monitoring/control app (e.g. Precision-X), and that those settings are disabled in the game itself as well. Note that modern rendering engines shouldn't render at above 60fps, as this causes tearing, frame jitter, and increased response times.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Alereon posted:

Note that modern rendering engines shouldn't render at above 60fps, as this causes tearing, frame jitter, and increased response times.

I have a 120hz monitor. In the Neverwinter MMO I set the refresh rate in the game's settings to 120 and it still caps out at 60. I'm using to Fraps to monitor my fps, maybe I should try something else?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Isn't FRAPS specifically capped? You should use something else like PrecisionX's OSD.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Isn't FRAPS specifically capped? You should use something else like PrecisionX's OSD.

I've seen fraps go beyond 200 fps is other games but I will give PrecisionX a try when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.

Kramjacks posted:

I have a 120hz monitor. In the Neverwinter MMO I set the refresh rate in the game's settings to 120 and it still caps out at 60. I'm using to Fraps to monitor my fps, maybe I should try something else?

I'm almost certain that Neverwinter has a FPS cap setting set to 60, try checking troubleshooting section of video settings.