Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Edit: stupid kidney stones.

Every person that read this just cringed at the thought. Feel better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Just perfect for an honeymoon. :(

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, a roommate had those once. Agonizing!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Too perfect

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
An old friend of mine used to get kidney stones, and he told me that once he met a woman in the ER who had the same problem and she said it was absolutely worse than childbirth.

Sorry, wiggles, hope your honeymoon makes up for it!

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Skinny King Pimp posted:

An old friend of mine used to get kidney stones, and he told me that once he met a woman in the ER who had the same problem
Interesting place to pick up women

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Ugh, as a haver of kidney stones myself, I hope it was small, and passed quickly. I've had some pass as quickly as 20 minutes from the onset of pain, to some taking up to 3 days to pass. As long as you can still pee, they won't do much but give you pain meds, until you hit day 4-5 of it not having passed and the pain still in your flanks not having moved. If it's a big one they just bust it into smaller ones that still hurt like holy hell to pass. I cringe every time I think about it. I hope it doesn't ruin your honeymoon too badly!

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
Wiggles, you don't break your wiggler right before the honeymoon.
I thought this was understood.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Poor Mr Winces :(

Congrats on the getting married part, though

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yuck. :( what a sad article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/04/world/asia/rat-meat-sold-as-lamb-in-china-highlights-fears.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0

processed food is always suspect food. live by that, goons.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Nothing beats a nice rat shank Provençal.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
And the brits were scared of a little horse meat in their burgers :mmmhmm:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

It's not about processed food, it's about meat being passed off as something else, or which is tainted. I hardly eat processed food but you can avoid processed good and still get this stuff.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Rhode Island is the tenth state to legalize same-sex marriage after the bill passed the House with a 56-15 vote and was signed into law by Gov. Lincoln Chafee yesterday.

Proud of my state. :patriot:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Leaving on the honeymoon this morning. But at the moment I'm in the hospital. Will update, hopefully with comedy.

Edit: stupid kidney stones.

I hope you get over them soon. They are agony.

And enjoy your time in the UK, get to sample our regional foods.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Rhode Island is the tenth state to legalize same-sex marriage after the bill passed the House with a 56-15 vote and was signed into law by Gov. Lincoln Chafee yesterday.

Proud of my state. :patriot:

Great strip clubs, too!

Actually, I usually go to Providence for the IMAX theater at the mall, I'm on the South Shore in MA so it's the closest one.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
I worked my first time on a real kitchen line yesterday and freaking loved it. I work at a country club slinging burgers and beer in a private men's golf club. The executive chef has been bending over backwards to get me into the kitchen. I told him I would gladly work any special event or just help out in the kitchen. He threw me a couple this past weekend and I finally got a chance to work lunch on the line at the grill. I did about 20 orders over a 2 hour period and a few meals for the staff/servers when they had a break. The GM and Executive Chef said they were very impressed with my work ethic and I was doing good. Even the dishwashers seem to like me because If Im not busy Ill help them put away dishes.

Any advice for a new guy ? Before this I was in the Navy for 5 years so I'm kind of programmed with the "you got time to lean, you got time to clean" mindset (I hate standing around bored). The Chef is a good guy, slightly awkward, but professional.

Bro Nerd Alpha fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 3, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
20 orders in 2 hours is a walk in the park for some of us, but if you've got no kitchen experience, it can seem like a lot. My personal opinion is to go into work with every intention to learn and work your rear end off. Country clubs generally pay well, and are generally good places to learn how to cook at a slower pace. I'd recommend getting 6mos to a years experience, and see where you want to go from there.

And if you've got the right chef, work ethic is everything. As lang as you're getting paid overtime, you don't go home until your work is done. Nothing pisses me off more than management who try to get you to work for free.

e: Military guys seem to do really well in kitchens, or I just see a lot of them around.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

20 orders in 2 hours is a walk in the park for some of us, but if you've got no kitchen experience, it can seem like a lot. My personal opinion is to go into work with every intention to learn and work your rear end off. Country clubs generally pay well, and are generally good places to learn how to cook at a slower pace. I'd recommend getting 6mos to a years experience, and see where you want to go from there.

And if you've got the right chef, work ethic is everything. As lang as you're getting paid overtime, you don't go home until your work is done. Nothing pisses me off more than management who try to get you to work for free.

e: Military guys seem to do really well in kitchens, or I just see a lot of them around.

They are VERY strict on overtime, which sucks. Id stay all drat day if I could. I'm really liking learning how everything comes together and the process involved. Especially food cost, seeing how taking a cut of SYSCO frozen tuna but adding a fancy swirl of sauce after you are done makes it cost $16. I definitely plan on staying there a while to get a feel for a real kitchen. I cooked in the Navy, institutional style though with everyone doing a bit of everyone's job. I know my way around a kitchen and all but this is a complete change of environment.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Bought a house. I asked a while back if anyone had any experience with using USAA for house-buying. I had a mixed but overall positive experience. They only handle standard conventional loans themselves, and for anything bigger they punt you off to Military Family Home Loans. MFHL takes 45 days or more to close, so if you're bidding in a competitive market where buyers want shorter close times that can be a non-starter. They also don't seem to know what to make of income you receive outside a W2, which has been all of my income for at least a decade. So I ended up going with a different mortgage broker. The USAA programme where they set you up with an agent worked fine, though---ended up liking the agent, and they (USAA) throw cash at you if you end up closing with the agent they recommended, which offset a considerable chunk of the closing costs.

Just throwing that out there because I asked before.

In other news, fuuuuuuuck moving.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

Especially food cost, seeing how taking a cut of SYSCO frozen tuna but adding a fancy swirl of sauce after you are done makes it cost $16.
BE CAREFUL with this idea.

Food cost is super important, but make sure you aren't sacrificing quality. There's a reason some tuna is $6.99lb and some is $19.99. If your price point is low, concentrate on what you can do well for that price, not on how to make your good idea cheap.

Wiggles: I also have kidney stones and they're awful. The good (!) news is that eventually your tubes stretch out. Also if they put you on rapaflow, they may not tell you it prevents ejaculation semi relevant, esp on your honeymoon

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 4, 2013

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Made it through a whole bunch of nonsense and made a lot of friends last night with Judi Dench's relatives in Yorkshire, but now I'm in Edinburough and I've forgotten where to eat. Where do I eat?

Oh and kidney stones aren't buggin now but they gave me a flowmax prescription like an old man with prostate problems so everything is cool.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Where the gently caress is that?
Stay happy and healthy guy from the internet.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

pile of brown posted:

BE CAREFUL with this idea.

Food cost is super important, but make sure you aren't sacrificing quality. There's a reason some tuna is $6.99lb and some is $19.99. If your price point is low, concentrate on what you can do well for that price, not on how to make your good idea cheap.

Wiggles: I also have kidney stones and they're awful. The good (!) news is that eventually your tubes stretch out. Also if they put you on rapaflow, they may not tell you it prevents ejaculation semi relevant, esp on your honeymoon

I have no say on what we purchase. From what I am seeing they tend to spend more on better cuts of beef and pork than seafood.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Fo3 posted:

Where the gently caress is that?
Stay happy and healthy guy from the internet.

A place where you spell phonetically like an idiot.

Found supper. This is a good city. Looking forward to going back to the country side on Monday, though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I am having a bad cooking night. gently caress.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

therattle posted:

I am having a bad cooking night. gently caress.

Go on...

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doh004 posted:

Go on...

Tried amaranth for the first time, in a pilaff, but added too much water and got a sludge. The recipe also has Harissa-balsamic roasted tomatoes and I burned them a bit. I also forgot to get fresh mint. I went out again, got mint, and got quinoa instead of amaranth (it calls for bulgur but wheat has started bloating main wife). The quinoa was then cooked in the rice cooker - slightly wet but ok. Once the worst of the burnt bits were picked off the tomatoes were ok. I managed to salvage it but I was pissed off. It's a delicious pilaff with those roasted tomatoes; spinach and mint in the grain; caramelised onions with cinnamon and lemon juice; and garlic yoghurt. So good - when done properly!

I made a good lunch using what was in the house though, which I was happy with: purple sprouting broccoli (with onions and garlic) and cannellini beans with a tahini-lemon-balsamic-yoghurt-OO dressing. Really good.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

I have no say on what we purchase. From what I am seeing they tend to spend more on better cuts of beef and pork than seafood.

Totally understand working with what you're given, just make sure you're learning good habits instead of picking up bad ones

Placenta Smoothie
Aug 25, 2008

Somehow I don't think walking unarmed into a herd of boar with razor blades for tusks is an entirely sound idea.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A place where you spell phonetically like an idiot.

Found supper. This is a good city. Looking forward to going back to the country side on Monday, though.

Go check out The Sheep's Heid and play a round of Skittles.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

therattle posted:

Tried amaranth for the first time, in a pilaff, but added too much water and got a sludge. The recipe also has Harissa-balsamic roasted tomatoes and I burned them a bit. I also forgot to get fresh mint. I went out again, got mint, and got quinoa instead of amaranth (it calls for bulgur but wheat has started bloating main wife). The quinoa was then cooked in the rice cooker - slightly wet but ok. Once the worst of the burnt bits were picked off the tomatoes were ok. I managed to salvage it but I was pissed off. It's a delicious pilaff with those roasted tomatoes; spinach and mint in the grain; caramelised onions with cinnamon and lemon juice; and garlic yoghurt. So good - when done properly!

I made a good lunch using what was in the house though, which I was happy with: purple sprouting broccoli (with onions and garlic) and cannellini beans with a tahini-lemon-balsamic-yoghurt-OO dressing. Really good.

we all live and learn... it sounds like a good effort so! I just have to remind myself everytime I royally gently caress something up that 'whelp, at least I'll never loving do that again....' and I sort of feel better (not really)

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Made it through a whole bunch of nonsense and made a lot of friends last night with Judi Dench's relatives in Yorkshire, but now I'm in Edinburough and I've forgotten where to eat. Where do I eat?

I went to Edinburough once, and don't have the faintest idea of where to recommend. I do highly suggest you get a battered haggis if you find one though - it's something any food-enthusiastic person should probably do just once in their life while in scotland.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
Went to a place tonight that was selling belgian tripels by 42 ounce glasses. Bad idea for the day completed!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Here's when owning several thousand books doesn't suck: most of the time.

Here's when owning several thousand books sucks: moving.

Fuuuuuuuuck moving.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

gently caress everything is this entire earth right now.

Just finishing up at Edinbugh Castle with tea and what have you at a little Kurdish place when I got a kidney stone attack again. It built and built until we were in the car park, where I sat in the car screaming for a while. Then some vomitus from the pain, then we tried to find our way back out of the crazy center of the city where they're doing construction WHILE clutching my side over the coblestones and pausing every half a mile or so to stop on the side of the road, vomit, let the shrieking pain go away, and then try to hobble back to the hotel. This began at 6, now it's 8 and we're just back to the hotel. I've taken some percosets and now plan on drinking enough to dull the pain before finding a place that will deliver a king rib and a battered haggis to my room.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

gently caress everything is this entire earth right now.

Just finishing up at Edinbugh Castle with tea and what have you at a little Kurdish place when I got a kidney stone attack again. It built and built until we were in the car park, where I sat in the car screaming for a while. Then some vomitus from the pain, then we tried to find our way back out of the crazy center of the city where they're doing construction WHILE clutching my side over the coblestones and pausing every half a mile or so to stop on the side of the road, vomit, let the shrieking pain go away, and then try to hobble back to the hotel. This began at 6, now it's 8 and we're just back to the hotel. I've taken some percosets and now plan on drinking enough to dull the pain before finding a place that will deliver a king rib and a battered haggis to my room.

Sorry to hear that Wiggles.

If you do feel up to it later, Ondine does fantastic seafood in Edinburgh. http://www.ondinerestaurant.co.uk/

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

SubG posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck moving.

This is why you pay for movers to do all that poo poo for you.

Better still, get whoever you work for to pay for it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck moving.

Buy bankers boxes and a good handtruck. When you are done moving you can usually resell the handtruck on CL for most of what you paid.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.
:ohdear: Wiggles... noooo!

Somebody up there must have a vendetta against you or something. I've spent several years in Scotland, I'd recommend a good curry house (there are many in Edinburgh) but with your pain I'd not recommend pushing yourself. Truly hope you get better soon.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The happy pills, a few tall pints, and some sherry have done the job of making me feel better. We can now commence with the honeymooning.

Tomorrow we head deep into the Trossachs to see my family and the root of my people stretching back into the deepest mists of history. It will be a good time. Will post again from somewhere closer to civilization in a few days.

PS: Pizza supper? What the hell I was not even drunk enough for that nonsense. The haggis was enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

bunnielab posted:

Buy bankers boxes and a good handtruck. When you are done moving you can usually resell the handtruck on CL for most of what you paid.

Bankers boxes (called archive / arkive boxes where I'm from) tend to be flimsy as poo poo. Hell, we use them at work and they fall to pieces if you put too many files in them so I don't know if I'd trust them to hold my valuables while I was moving.

Most self-storage places (where you can rent locker space to store stuff) will sell moving boxes in different sizes and some also have 'moving packs' where you get half a dozen of each size of box with some tape and bubblewrap. I've found that 'tea chest' sized boxes work best for moving house because you can reinforce the seams with packing tape, fill it with heavy crap like books or tchotchkes and still be able to carry one or two by yourself.

Getting a handtruck if you've gotta move stuff a long way is genius though. I wish I could do that when I have to move but there's too many stairs inside and outside my apartment.