Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
:siren: Playoff Pick Em Scores :siren:

mentholmoose and mks5000 stay at the top of the rank. Some shuffling right behind them as only a handful of teams scored more than 1 point this round.

pre:
Owner	              Score
mentholmoose	       17
mks5000	               14
kw0134	               11
Zodiac5000	       11
Monicro	               10
Revenant Threshold	9
Chilly McFreeze         8
FairGame	        8
Robert_Deadford	        8
Beet	                7
GVOLTT             	7
alpha_destroy	        4
factorialite	        4
oldskool	        4
tatankatonk	        4
CaptainYesterday	3
TheFlyingLlama	        2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
Pick Two!
Finger Lakes Phoenixes
Harvard Elites
Idaho Potatoes
Sad Pandas

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

I've come to hate the Super-League. It's a ton of work for no payoff. The only thing the vast majority of you care about are the numbers for your own team. You don't care about the games of the week, you don't care about the obits, you don't care about any of the things I do besides posting your team's stats every other day.

And that's why I still love the Gauntlet. Because after a season of your indifference, after a season of you whining that your team should be doing better because you did all of the research, and it's totally not right that Whitey Ford should be this bad, after demanding that I drop everything and spend a half-hour trying to diagnose and fix your crappy teams, after all of that, I finally, finally, finally get to take something you care about, if only marginally, and destroy it forever.

Dead...but with the Bangers coming back, who really cares?

This was bound to happen eventually. The Elites just never quite worked right.

This would be better if Grinnblade were actually still around.

Panda magic strikes again! But how long can the Pandas keep this run going?

Pick 'em
Pick two!
Barons
Idaho Potatoes
Sad Pandas
Tijuana Mules

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.
Pick 'em
Pick two!
Barons
Idaho Potatoes
Sad Pandas
Tijuana Mules

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I read all your write-ups and enjoy them. I do admit I generally parse my stats before other teams, although if interesting/trade/pickem events arise then I'll scour their teams as well.

It's good stuff.

I also can't believe my bullshit is working. It's a Panda miracle!

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Pander posted:

I also can't believe my bullshit is working. It's a Potato miracle!

Pretty much this.

Also I'm sorry about going MIA, it's just been nuts. Home-improvement store at the start of spring == fun times.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I trust GVOLTT on this issue.

Pick 'em
Pick two!
Barons
Idaho Potatoes
Sad Pandas
Tijuana Mules

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Smasher Dynamo posted:

I've come to hate the Super-League. It's a ton of work for no payoff. The only thing the vast majority of you care about are the numbers for your own team. You don't care about the games of the week, you don't care about the obits, you don't care about any of the things I do besides posting your team's stats every other day.

And that's why I still love the Gauntlet. Because after a season of your indifference, after a season of you whining that your team should be doing better because you did all of the research, and it's totally not right that Whitey Ford should be this bad, after demanding that I drop everything and spend a half-hour trying to diagnose and fix your crappy teams, after all of that, I finally, finally, finally get to take something you care about, if only marginally, and destroy it forever.

Panda magic strikes again! But how long can the Pandas keep this run going?

Pick 'em
Pick two!
Barons
Idaho Potatoes
Sad Pandas
Tijuana Mules

Pfft... I am new so I probably don't know any better. But honestly, the draw to this is the write-up. I rarely comment on anything, but Smasher I could make crazy historical teams and crunch numbers myself. But there is no fun in that. I wanna see 350 lbs Mel Ott blast his owner, and horrible, insulting obituaries. I wanna see owners squirm. I wanna see a bear wrestle a luchador. For real.

Also
Sad Pandas
Potatoes

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 4, 2013

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Yeah, if I wanted to see how a bunch of teams of random dudes did I could just sim it myself. My apologies for not commenting on more, but every update has been entertaining.

Barons and Mules advance.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
Barons/Pandas

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
gently caress :byodood:

Pick 'em
Pick two!
Barons
Idaho Potatoes
Sad Pandas
Tijuana Mules

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Maybe we should all try to add a little more flavour when responding to the updates. I appreciate the effort you and your helpers put in, Smasher, it adds to the experience of realising how little I know about what I'm doing.

drat those Pandas and their finessing small sample sizes!

Barons and Pandas to advance!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Inspired by David Simon's Treme! Maybe...

Owner: CraigK
Home Grounds: MEGADOME

Teams Used
1964 Los Angeles Angels
1970 St. Louis Cardinals
1998 Houston Astros
2010 Seattle Mariners

Past Records
Expansion Cup VII
84-79, 2nd Place, Already Relegated Division
Super-League VIII
94-68, 3rd Place, Senor Goodtimes Division, Wildcard
Lost to Luna Landers 0-1 in SL Wildcard Playoff
Super-League IX
70-92, 5th Place, Senor Goodtimes Division, Gauntletted
Gauntlet VIII
Round 2: 14-26, 4th Place, Relegated

Championships Won
Amazingly enough...none. Ever.

Obituary

Oh, I could tell you about the Mashers/Destroyers, but allow me to instead show my contempt for them with an essay that none of you could possibly care about! That way, no one will ever read it, and thus, no one will remember this team! It's a perfect plan!

So, today I want to talk to you about my favorite comic book series/franchise. Now I know that a lot of people would pick Batman or Superman or Spider-Man or even Wolverine (note: do not associate with people who pick Wolverine). But personally, my favorite was always the Legion of Super-Heroes. You're probably wondering what the gently caress that is, so let me give a brief history of the Legion. This...uh...might take a bit.

In 1958, there was a comic called "Adventure Comics", which featured Superboy as its main strip, or, as they put it at the time, "The Adventures of Superman when he was a boy!"1 A guy named Otto Binder decided that it would be an awesome way to fill an issue by just having some teenage heroes from the future go back in time and hang out with Superboy. Why? Well, this was back in the '50s, when most comic book writers were professionals who worked 9 to 5, chain smoking and sneaking whiskey from a flask, before going home to drink several martinis, be emotionally distant from their wives, and wait for their heart to finally explode from the smoking, drinking and red meat. Point is, Otto Binder wasn't planning to start a franchise, he was just trying to fill pages. Hell, the issue before the one the Legion debuted featured a rich heiress inviting Superboy and a few other boys to a party as part of a complicated plot to discover his secret identity. It also featured Aquaman. In any case, it turned out that the debut of the Legion, in Adeventure Comics #247, was surprisingly popular with the fans. So DC commissioned more Legion stories, usually pairing him with Superboy, whose exploits in the 20th century were now said to be the inspiration for the formation of the Legion in the 30th century. In fact, he was so inspirational that the Legion decided that they might as well gently caress causality hard and start dicking around in the past with him.

How did Otto Binder know the exact format of American Idol 45 years before it premiered? We may never know.

A lot of people will tell you that these Silver Age stories are good and influential and whatever. People have written essays about the Silver Age adventures of the Legion. And not an essay like this, which was mainly written because I couldn't think of any better ideas for this obit. Real essays that got published in real books. Personally, I always thought that was bullshit. The stories from back then were kind of sucky. Hell, one of the most famous stories from that era is when a character named Lightning Lad fought a space-whale, but his lightning blast reflected off the space-whale, destroying one of Lightning Lad's arms, and leading to him to fly off on a relentless quest to take revenge on the great space-sea-mammal. Not that bastardizing Moby Dick isn't great, but well...

The timeless tale of Space-man vs. Space-nature

In fact, the Legion stories, as a whole, were so overwhelming that when a 14 year-old named Jim Shooter sent in some stories unsolicited, DC decided to hire him on the spot! This brought a new sort of energy to the book, as Jim Shooter was not a crusty old man sitting in a cubicle bitterly complaining about those drat hippies with their rock music and their long hair and how, back in his day, when the government sent you into the jungles to fight for capitalism, you drat well liked it!

Of course, these stories, looking back, and I'll admit that I haven't read all of them, aren't really that much better. They're good for their time, admittedly, because at least the guy writing them had a flavor to his writing that most of the mass-produced stories of that time didn't have, but he was still a 14 year-old kid.2

Eventually, Shooter decided to quit writing the Legion, leading about a decade (1968-1978), where the Legion mainly floated around as a backup strip, going through numerous writers and artists, and mainly just barely hanging on as the entire industry stagnated.

And that's when Paul Levitz took over the title.

See, to this point, the Legion had never been that good of a comic. In fact, it had topped out at "Better than the average dreck". Paul Levitz, on the other hand, had a plan. At the time, most stories were either self-contained single issues, or short arcs. Levitz, realizing that the two-dozen members of the Legion meant that he could run multiple stories concurrently, instead turned the Legion title into a heavily serialized soap opera, occasionally interspersed with big events that would draw together the entire team. He also understood that with so many characters, he'd have to actually develop interesting and memorable characters, otherwise people would get lost, and quick. It was a great run that seemed like it could last forever until...

Right, so, by 1985, the old guard of writers, who were just white-collar professionals who just happened to be comic book writers, had been replaced by a new breed of creators, who actually believed in the artform of comic books. This was, on the whole, a good thing, but it did have...consequences.

One of those was that it was now deemed that continuity was very important to comic book universes. And, by that point, DC continuity was kind of confusing. While all of the mainline books that DC put out were supposedly in the same multiverse, the comics were spread across several different universes, as well as several different distant pasts and futures. That led to such confusing problems as there being a regular Superman, his younger self, Superboy, and the middle-aged Earth-2 counterpart of Superman, also named Superman, all wearing the same costume and all making multiple appearances across the line in the same month. Granted, this was the sort of thing that could be explained relatively easily, but these were the days before Wikipedia, and so it was decided that DC would need to fix a few of those snarls.

Unfortunately, they decided that they would only fix a few of the snarls and leave the rest. The result was the Crisis, which was kind of a half-reboot of the DC universe. For example, the Earth-2 Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman were all retroactively eliminated from continuity because they were duplicative of the normal versions of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman on Earth-1, but Earth-2 Green Lantern, Flash, Atom and Hawkman were retained, even though they all had duplicates on Earth-1 as well.3

The big problem for the Legion is that it was ruled that Superboy no longer existed, which was a huge problem, since the Legion had featured Superboy as an important supporting character right up until the Crisis, and Superboy had been the most important character in the comics for the first twenty years' or so. That was a problem, as the Legion no longer had an origin story that was compatible with current continuity, and also pretty much none of their stories from before around 1980 or so counted either (and keep in mind this was in 1986).

But Paul Levitz had a plan! He wrote a story to try and fix this mess by having an old Legion enemy named "The Time Trapper" reveal that the Superboy the Legion had hung around with was actually from a pocket universe, and that the Legion, who were in the normal universe, had been redirected to the pocket universe by the Time Trapper whenever they had gone back in time. Why? Um...because the Time Trapper is evil. Anyway, the story ends with the Pocket Universe Superboy getting killed extra dead, and the Time Trapper villainously proclaiming that the Legion will, henceforth, only travel back in time to the regular universe!

Also, the regular universe Superman was involved just make things extra confusing!

That kept things going for a few more years until, having toiled on Legion for over a decade, Paul Levitz decided to move on, leaving the comic in the hands of his longtime penciller Keith Giffen. And that's were it all went wrong.

See, Keith Giffen is a very talented guy with one unfortunate tendency: when he inherits an ongoing title, he is going to put his own mark on it no matter what, and drat the consequences. A lot of times, that's great, like turning the Justice League into a comedy title, which is still foundly remembered to this day. When it came to the Legion, though, Giffen had other plans.

First, he brought in a husband and wife team, the Bierbaums, to script his stories for him. For whatever reason, Giffen didn't like scripting his own comics, only plotting them. The Bierbaums, interestingly enough, had made their names writing for various Legion fan-newsletters, which probably should have been a warning sign, all things considered.

Anyway, Giffen had some big ideas! Whereas the Levitz Legion had been generally optimistic about the future of mankind, Giffen, setting his future five years after Levitz' last story, had a future ravaged by an economic depression, with the Legion having disbanded in the interim, and the Earth having been secretly taken over by evil aliens. Also, he decided to use the same nine-panel grid that Dave Gibbons had in Watchmen, which essentially allowed Giffen to pack in much more story in a single issue than pretty much any other comic that DC had at the time.

In theory, these were good ideas. In practice, this version of the Legion proved to be utterly confusing to just about everyone. For starters, Giffen and the Bierbaums appeared to have some sort of psychic aversion to the very concept of exposition. Normally, that's fine, but with a cast numbering a few dozen, including characters just being introduced, as well as a five year gap between this story and the previous volume of Legion. 4

And then things got even worse. Remember how I just told you about the continuity problem with Superboy? Well, in 1990, just four years after the Pocket Universe story fixed it, the Superman editorial office decided that the Legion was no longer allowed to reference any part of the Superman mythos ever again, presumably because the Legion was edited by a different team, and they didn't trust Giffen not to do something stupid with Superman like writing a comic where he went crazy and punched Lois Lane through the heart or something. Giffen and the Bierbaums, at this point, could have just sucked it up, and carefully avoided making any past references to adventures with Superboy. That would have been tricky but, with the story they were telling, it likely wouldn't have been that hard. Instead, they decided to create the biggest retcon in history, one so utterly confounding that it retroactively made dozens of changes to just about every Legion story written before the retcon happened, up to and including the first few issues of their own run.5

This was basically the dumbest thing they could have done, because they were now writing a comic book with forty years worth of continuity behind it, except that now not a single person outside of the writing team knew what the hell happened in any of those stories.6 Also, the actual story they were telling made no real sense, either. It was incredibly confusing, and the only way to get a real handle on it, given the huge number of characters and locations and factions involved was to have an encyclopedic understanding of Legion continuity and, thanks to the numerous changes to continuity they had just made, that was completely impossible. But Giffen and the Bierbaums pressed on. When it was complained that the Legion had become unrecognizable, they responded by introducing a clone Legion that was almost identical to how the Legion had looked in 1970, and then started a lengthy storyline where it was implied that the current Legion were actually the clones all along!7

Also, the Bierbaums and Giffen decided to add extra retcons into Legion continuity to accommodate fan theories under the same theory that once you rob ten million dollars from a bank, who is really going to care if you shoplift a few packs of gum? Amazingly, this didn't really help things either. 8

This story has the exact same reveal as "The Crying Game". I am dead serious

At a certain point, even Giffen admitted to himself that this was simply not working out, and decided to quit...but not before writing a story where the entire Earth blew up on his way out. The Bierbaums stayed on, but only because they had just signed extensions to their contracts, and DC didn't want to pay them for nothing.

DC editorial, who had tolerated Giffen because he was the guy who turned around Justice League and had written a number of other successful titles in the years before he took up Legion, now took a look at what he had wrought, and realized that, whether or not the stories he had told were any good, they had turned the Legion franchise into a smoldering ruin that had no real future. The continuity was hosed, the characters had become unmarketable and, by this point, there were two wholly different groups calling themselves the Legion with a combined 50 characters between them.

Their response was both supremely brutal and entirely necessary: They ordered the existing Legion continuity burned to the ground and buried so that they could start over.

And they did! In 1994, as part of the Zero Hour crossover event, the Legion titles all held a crossover named "End of an Era", where the entire continuity was wiped out due to, well, a lot of confusing bullshit.

But what the gently caress did you do from there? Well, the post-1994 Legion, the "reboot" as it came to be called, never really set the world on fire. It was always good, after all, it was written by guys like Roger Stern, Mark Waid and Tom Peyer, who were all solid hands. On the other hand, even with the destruction of the old continuity, the new writers still felt hemmed in by the old stories, and so spent the next six years retelling old stories from the '70s and '80s with tweaks to make them more modern. That was fine, but there are limits to what an approach like that was going to be able to accomplish.9

So, in 2000, DC turned over the Legion to Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning, who decided to take the Legion in a new direction that better reflected that, far from being just Archie Comics in space, the Legion were in the future, and so had them face more cosmic threats, like an entire planet full of evil robots and so on. And the readers responded by....not buying the comic. In fairnes to Abnett and Lanning, the industry wasn't super-healthy at the time anyway, and their stories weren't really that bad.

Still, DC wanted another fresh start, and called in Mark Waid to try rebooting again. At this point, the Legion was probably hosed as a franchise. The old fans were still better their continuity had been paved over, and everyone else thought that the Legion was a continuity nightmare. Scrolling up at all of the words I've just written...yeah, it's fair to say it was pretty bad.

Mark Waid had the answer, though! Instead of the Legion just being a super-hero, they would be a political movement! And by 'political movement', he meant that they just be a conventional super-hero who occasionally insulted the establishment in the mildest terms possible. Still, Waid's name had some cachet by that point, and it's not like it could do any worse, so what was the worst that could happen?

Funny you should ask! Some of you may have heard of Brad Meltzer, who apparently is a best-selling author. Personally, I've never read any of his books, and never intend to. I have, however, read his works in comics and, well, that's why I never intend to read any of his books. His first major work in the DC Universe was a story that asked the provocative question, "What would the Silver Age of Comic Books have been like with graphic violence and rape?" But it sold well, so, ergo, it must have been good. Well, Meltzer wanted to write a Justice League story starring the Legion, but he wanted to use the Legion from his childhood, that is, that Levitz Legion that had been wiped from continuity over a decade before. And DC, which by now just didn't really give a poo poo, decided to let him go for it, despite the fact that they had just relaunched a new continuity for the Legion a few months before. Thus, the Waid version of the Legion was dead on arrival because it was pretty clear what the "real" Legion was at that point. The Waid version of the Legion would last for a few more years, but it never really went anywhere.

The version of the Legion that Meltzer brought back and Geoff Johns subsequently used extensively, was not exactly the same as the first version of the Legion, in that Johns wanted no part of the Giffen/Bierbaums run, and also wanted to excise the Pocket Universe story as well. Instead, his version appeared to be based on the Legion from about 1985, which meant that you would have to be roughly thirty years old to get any enjoyment from bringing that version of the Legion back.10 He then tidied up Legion continuity a bit by writing a miniseries featuring all three versions of the Legion, where he sent the 1994-2004 team into Limbo forever, exiled the version Waid had created into Limbo, and make it crystal-clear to everyone that his version of the Legion was the only one that counted.

geoffjohns.jpg

At this point, I stopped reading the Legion because I just didn't give a poo poo anymore. But, from what I understand, that's still the version of the Legion their working with to this day, despite the fact that entire continuity of the DC universe got restarted at some point. Which would be impressive, if I still cared.

Anyway, my larger point with all of this is that I've decided to retcon the Destroyers/Mashers out of League history.

1Incidentally, DC has tried to promote different versions of the Superboy character for over sixty years now, and they've basically always sucked. Why? Because Superboy is essentially the B+ version of Superman, and why buy that when you can get a real Superman story?

2Shooter's most famous contribution to the Legion was probably the character "Karate Kid", who had the power of "super-karate".

3To say that this caused a few problems would be a massive understatement. Look no further than Hawkman, who essentially had his character rebooted four or five times in the first decade after Crisis hit. In fact, the next twenty-five years of DC Comics were dominated by writers engaging in endless battles with each other over what was canon and what was not. It was not a fruitful period for the most part.

4The worst example of this was the so-called "Black Dawn" incident that characters would talk about as a super-important event where a bunch of characters got killed and caused the Legion to be disbanded, but would never be explained in any concrete terms until the comic was already slated for cancellation.

5To explain in a bit more detail, the retcon worked this way. A few issues after the original Pocket Superboy story, where Time Trapper had killed Superboy, a group of Legionnaires sought revenge on the Time Trapper, had planned a complex revenge scheme that ended with the Trapper seemingly dead, and Mon-El, a long-time Legion character, mortally wounded. In the story that created the retcon, Mon-El came back to life, and the Time Trapper revealed that when the Legionnaires killed him, he had hid his consciousness in Mon-El's body. And, in fact, that was always his plan, as Mon-El came from the same pocket universe as Superboy, and had always been intended as Time Trapper's 'lifeboat'. Mon-El is unhappy, and decides to fight the Time Trapper in a final battle in the Pocket Universe, and is about to kill the villain when the Time Trapper reveals that if Mon-El finishes him off, then the Time Trapper will retroactively cease to exist, and that as the Time Trapper had manipulated the Legion into existence for his own purposes, that would retroactively erase them as well. Mon-El decides he's willing to chance it, and punches Time Trapper to death.

Unfortunately, the Time Trapper had been telling the truth, and the Legion vanishes from existence, causing the past to radically change as well. An evil wizard, and frequent Legion enemy, named Mordru now rules the Earth, and so confident is he in his continued domination that he decides to taunt his wife Glorith, who was a minor Legion villain in the mainstream universe, with visions of the normal universe where the Legion was always foiling him because he knows that they can't stop him in this timeline.

As you might guess, he's wrong about that, as Glorith works with members of the resistance to cast a magical spell that will rewrite reality so that they can restore normal continuity despite the Time Trapper not existing. Unfortunately, they aren't quite able to get it back to normal, which serves as the narrative pretext for why continuity has been altered.

6For example, remember that story where a group of Legionnaires travel to the end of time to fight the Time Trapper to get even with him for killing Superboy? Well, that story couldn't have happened in the new continuity, so Giffen and Bierbaum explained that the way the story had actually happened was that Glorith blew up the planet of Daxam, and that made the Legionnaires angry, so they fought her an a random alien world. That's...not quite the same story.

7Some of you may recognize this exact storyline as an almost word-for-word copy of the infamous "Clone Saga" that took over Spider-man books for a couple of years in the '90s. Technically, this story was written first...and it wasn't any better in the comic.

8There are two stories from that era that seem to be entirely motivated by the Bierbaums' tenure as editors of a fan newsletter.

In the first one, they write a story where it is revealed that Lighting Lad, a long-time member of the Legion who had died and come back to life in two stories from the '60s, had never really been resurrected, but was instead being inhabited by the consciousness of the Legion's team pet "Proty". That's pretty loving stupid, and that doesn't even get into the fact that Lightning Lad had been married to a telepath for twenty years by that point.

The second one is a bit more complicated. Okay, so, there was this character named "Element Lad". And he wore a lot of pink and had a blond perm, so the assumption among the fandom is that he was gay. But Paul Levitz, who presumably didn't really give a poo poo what the fans thought, paired him up with a female character named Shavaugn Erin instead, and that, one would think, was the end of that.

Except, Giffen and the Bierbaums revealed, Shavaugn had really been a man this entire time! She had just been taking gender-bending drugs so that...well, it's not clear exactly what her deal was. The character does make it clear that he regrets using drugs to live as a woman for so long, but that he felt compelled to keep living as a woman for Element Lad's sake or something. Like every other story from this era, it is deeply, deeply confusing. Anyway, Element Lad reveals in this story that he has no problem loving Shavaugn no matter what gender he or she is.

9The only real exception is that the writers decided to trap half of the Legion in the past for about a year's worth of comics so they could interact with the rest of the DC heroes. Oddly, Superman still remembered his interactions with the previous incarnation of the Legion, because no one seemed to realize that such a reference would just add to the headache.

10Geoff Johns is currently the "Chief Creative Officer" of DC Comics. That kind of sucks, because Geoff Johns stories, for the most part tend to be, "Moral absolutism + graphic dismemberment = good plot!"

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Barons
Potatoes

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

As is tradition, I promise that I will do something horrible to Brooklyn Bruiser's team if the Nets win tonight.

That is all.

e: By which I mean that Bruzer agreed to forfeit certain dispersal draft picks if he didn't make those book reports. He hasn't, so, if the Nets win, he loses draft picks.

Smasher Dynamo fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 5, 2013

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

As is tradition, I promise that I will do something horrible to Brooklyn Bruiser's team if the Nets win tonight.

That is all.

e: By which I mean that Bruzer agreed to forfeit certain dispersal draft picks if he didn't make those book reports. He hasn't, so, if the Nets win, he loses draft picks.

I wholeheartedly agree. Also, I enjoyed the Mashers' obit. Personally, I never knew the Legion existed and I had several #1 issues of several DC Comics mainstays.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Smasher Dynamo posted:

That is all.

I don't even care about the Nets! My only connection to them is that the Barclays Center is a 5 or 10-minute walk from my apartment.

BrooklynBruiser fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 5, 2013

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
:siren: Playoff Pick Em Scores :siren:

It looks like we're going to need another playoff series to break this log jam at the top.

pre:
Owner	              Score
mentholmoose	       19
mks5000	               14
Zodiac5000	       13
kw0134	               11
Chilly McFreeze	       10
Monicro	               10
Beet	                9
GVOLTT	                9
Revenant Threshold	9
FairGame	        8
Robert_Deadford	        8
oldskool	        6
CaptainYesterday	5
alpha_destroy	        4
factorialite	        4
tatankatonk	        4
TheFlyingLlama	        2

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

That is all.

I've been awaiting those book reports for what seems like forever. Show us your wrath, Smasher.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Hey guys, wanna see Bruiser throw his team away on another stupid loving challenge? Well then get in to the IRC right the hell now!

edit: vvv :smuggo:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Come into the IRC if you want to see wrath right now.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

#thesuperleague on irc.synirc.com, rookies! You can use their webchat here!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

oldskool i hope you're watching the thread because if you get in IRC you might just be in for a treat

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am proud to announce a career vs. players match between the

and, representing the pride of the Super-League....

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am proud to announce a career vs. players match between the

and, representing the pride of the Super-League....

god drat it bruiser

just

god drat it

edit:

[20:30] <BrooklynBruiser> SmasherDynamo: What position is the weakest link on my current Bombers (non-pitching)?
[20:31] <@SmasherDynamo> Its owner.

:iceburn:

Grinnblade fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 5, 2013

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
This is marvelous. I knew we were long-overdue for an ill-advised Bruiser Challenge TM.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkpyZws4bJ8

Let Us Do This

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
My team:

C: 1947 Yogi Berra
1B: 1926 Lou Gehrig
2B: 1947 Snuffy Stirnweiss
3B: 1991 Howard Johnson
SS: 1947 Phil Rizzuto
LF: 1993 Ser Barrold Lamar of House Bonds
CF: 1947 Joltin' Joe DiMaggio
RF: 1947 Charlie Keller
DH: 1993 Will Clark

Bench: 1991 Todd Hundley, 1993 Robby Thompson, 1991 Kevin McReynolds, 1947 Tommy Henrich, 1993 Matt Williams

Starter 1: Negro Leagues Satchel Paige
Starter 2: 1917 Walter Johnson
Starter 3: 1991 Dwight Gooden
Mopup: 1991 David Cone
Mopup: 1991 Frank Viola
Closer: 1993 Rod Beck
Setup: 1991 John Franco
Short: 1993 Michael Jackson
Short: 1993 Kevin Rogers
Middle: 1947 Joe Page
Long: 1947 Allie Reynolds

Minors: 1947 Sherm Lollar, 1991 Vince Coleman, 1991 Gregg Jefferies, 1991 Dave Magadan, 1991 Tim Teufel

C: 1947 Yogi Berra
1B: 1926 Lou Gehrig
2B: 1947 Snuffy Stirnweiss
3B: 1991 Howard Johnson
SS: 1947 Phil Rizzuto
LF: 1993 Ser Barrold Lamar of House Bonds
CF: 1947 Joltin' Joe DiMaggio
RF: 1947 Charlie Keller
DH: 1993 Will Clark

1: 1993 Barry Bonds
2: 1947 Joe DiMaggio
3: 1926 Lou Gehrig
4: 1993 Will Clark
5: 1947 Charlie Keller
6: 1947 Yogi Berra
7: 1991 Howard Johnson
8: 1947 Snuffy Stirnweiss
9: 1947 Phil Rizzuto

BrooklynBruiser fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 5, 2013

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

get

in

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

The Super League Owns

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

That was truly the definition of :magical:. Right there.

THE BROOKLYN BOMBERS III HAVE BEEN EXCISED FROM EXPANSION CUP IX, AND AS A RESULT SUPER-LEAGUE X.

Jesus poo poo what a game, I'll have a log of the IRC up here soon.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tonight was a thing of beauty, let none of us forget this.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Man why do I miss all the fun?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

OKAY, so. It was decided in the IRC by one part executive decision, one part most everyone still paying attention to the EC that it had gone on FAR too long and that I needed to wrap thing up, so I took the changes made by everyone and simmed until the end of the regular season. All in all, there wasn't really any major surprises. I'm going to skip the Games of the Month when I update the post and try and advise everyone, but now that I've got everything sorted out, here is your Expansion Cup 9 Dispersal Draft List!

1. Cuba Batmen (Chilly McFreeze), 60-104/.366, Larkin-Jordan: 6th Place
2. St. Louis Congratulators (Fairgame), 66-97/.405, Downing-Yoshida: 5th Place
3. San Marcos Engineers (CaptainYesterday), 67-96/.411, Downing-Rainwater: 5th Place
4. Carolina Llamas (TheFlyingLlama), 72-91/.442, Larkin-Hopp: 6th Place
5. Brooklyn Bombers III (BrooklynBruzer), 74-89/.454, Larkin-Jordan: 5th Place [VACATED BY THE BOMBERS V. ORANGES CHALLENGE ON 5/5/2013]
6. Indianapolis Generals (Manifunk Destiny), 74-89/.454, Downing-Yoshida: 4th Place
7. Southie Hitmen (mks5000), 74-89/.454, Downing-Rainwater: 4th Place
8. Foul Pole Penguins (Pungry), 76-88/.463 Downing-Rainwater: 3rd Place
9. Krakow Dragons (Robert Deadford), 78-86/.476, Larkin-Jordan: 4th Place
10. Richmond Squirrell Flyers (uublog), 82-81/.503, Larkin-Jordan: 3rd Place
11. Juneau Juggernauts (factorialite), 82-81/.503, Larkin-Hopp: 5th Place
12. New World Orange Florida Oranges (oldskool), 83-80/.509, Downing-Rainwater: 2nd Place
13. South Dakota Marmosets (Zodiac5000), 83-80/.509, Larkin-Hopp: 4th Place
14. Leicester Hunchbacks (Revenant Threshold), 83-80/.509 Downing-Yoshia: 3rd Place
15. RVA Beard Leaguers (CthulhuDreams), 86-77/.528, Downing-Yoshida: 2nd Place [VACATED BY THE JASON CONTI PACT OF EXPANSION CUP 9]
16. Automatons (alpha_destroy), 87-77/.530, Larkin-Hopp: 3rd Place
17. Louisville Muggers (Monicro), 88-75/.540, Larkin-Hopp: 2nd Place
18. Connecticut Thunderstorms (GVOLTT), 91-72/.558, Larkin-Hopp Divisional Champions
19. Oklahoma City Bombers (mentholmoose), 92-71/.564, Larkin-Jordan: 2nd Place
20. Akabira Killer Mikes (tatankatonk), 93-71/.571, Larkin-Jordan Divisional Champions
21. Rochester Generics (kw0134), 98-65/.601, Downing-Yoshida Divisional Champions
22. Somali Pirates (Beet), 107-57/.652, Downing-Rainwater Divisional Champions

Congratulation to the winners! I'll have detailed analyses up SoonTM

Monathin fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 5, 2013

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

That was a nailbiter of a series, I'm happy to have caught it live.

There's still the EC playoffs to do? And I completely miffed on the Gauntlet pick'em that last round. So let's see:

Pick 'em
Pick two!

Sad Pandas
Tijuana Mules

At this point I might as well use rng.org for my Gauntlet picks.

Monathin posted:

Congratulation to the winners! I'll have detailed analyses up SoonTM
For a given definition of soon :mmmhmm:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Pick 'em
Pick two!
Barons
Idaho Potatoes
Sad Pandas
Tijuana Mules

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Woah, I didn't come in last? So I managed to even blow a top draft pick. Seems about right.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

:siren: Super League Dispersal Draft Unofficial-official Preview!!!! :siren:

Hello to both the EC owners and veteran vultures looking to scam innocent EC owners out of their valuable draft picks. If you are the former, then welcome, if the latter, then shame on you! This is the unofficial-official draft pool for dispersal draft IX. It's official in the sense that it is made up of the first 6 relegated teams and therefor consists of all the guys that you can draft, and unofficial in the sense that Smasher has the right to fiddle with the draft pool at any time, and will likely add a guy or two.

So let's just get this over with. Guys will be ranked into arbitrary categories I that choose, and these rankings do not reflect the opinions of one S. Dynamo, or the actual value the players may or may not add to your super-league team.

In short, take these with a grain of salt.

Catcher

The catcher pool is pretty good honestly. Not a ton of top end talent, but a ton of good bats. Dickey and Lombardi are elite guys who played in the same era. Torre, Simmons and the Downing's are good bats who are acceptable backstops. Thurman Munson is Thurman Munson, so just keep him away from planes. Old man Piazza can still swing a bat, though his ability to catch balls should be questioned.

Hall of Fame Guys who are really good

Bill Dickey '38
Earnie Lombardi '36

All offense/No Defense

Joe Torre '70
Ted Simmons '79
Brian Downing '75
Brian Downing '78

Thurman Munson

Thurman Munson '73
Thurman Munson '70

Grandpa Class

Mike Piazza '06

Everyone Else

Bengie Molina '02
Ted Simmons '70
Don Slaught '91
Terry Kennedy '79
Les Nunamaker '16
Brad Ausmus '98

First Base

Deeper than catcher, with more talent at the top, and a pretty good pool of guys that are legit super-league starters. Pujols, Bagwell, and Gehrig are the prizes, with McGwire, Murray, and Grace coming later.

These are three of the best first basemen ever, but Lou is old

Albert Pujols '12
Jeff Bagwell '98
Lou Gehrig '38

These guys are not much worse

Mark McGwire '89
Mark Grace '89

Starting this guys won't kill you

Eddie Murray '87
Keith Hernadez '79

These guys will hit decently off the bench, but that's it

Mo Vaughn '97
Adrian Gonzalez '06
Big Papi '04

Everyone Else

Dick Allen '70
Dick Allen '65
John Kruk '89
Sid Bream '88
Wally Pipp '16
Von Hayes '89
Phil Cavaretta '45
Frank Chance '03
Harry Davis '02

Second Base

Holy loving poo poo, this pool is deep. I'm talking like olympic swimming pool deep. Don't believe me? Let's take a look.

Three Nap Lajoies, really?

Rogers Hornsby '28
Nap Lajoie '05
Nap Lajoie '10
Nap Lajoie '02
Ryne Sandberg '89

Wait, Eddie Collins is the 6th best guy in this pool?

Eddie Collins '27
Joe Gordan '38
Bobby Gritch '78

And the 9th is Roberto Alomar? This poo poo is ridiculous

Roberto Alomar '96
Chase Utley '11
Julio Franco '84

Don't even bother with these freaks, there are 3 goddamn Naps!

Bret Boone '95
Rafael Belliard '88
Jorge Orta '75
Marco Scutaro '11
Johnny Evers '03
Chone Figgins '02
Chone Figgins '10

Shortstop

Not that bad, but not that great. Compared to 2nd it looks like poo poo, but most positions do. Top guy is A-rod, and that should be a no brainer. After Tinker, things get pretty hazy.

Great

A-rod '01
Joe Sewell '24

Good

Hanley Ramirez '09
Barry Larkin '95
Barry Larkin '90

Ok
Bobby Wallace '06
Joe Tinker '03
Alvin Dark '54

NO

Frank Crosetti '38
Gary Templeton '79
Shawon Dunston '89
Jim Fregosi '64
David Echstein '02

Third Base

Pure Crap. After Boggs and Santo it is a shitshow.

Boggs and Santo!

Wade Boggs '85
Ron Santo '69

Williams and Baker?

Matt Williams '96
Home Run Baker '16

Oh God Why

Bill Madlock '76
Hank Thompson '54
Brooks Robinson '72
Bobby Bonilla '88
Chipper Jones '95
Troy Glaus '02
Sam Hack '45
Mike "Grandpa" Schmidt '89
Red Rolfe '38

Left Field

Another stupid deep position. Not quite at the level of 2nd, but it's up there. Obviously the Bonds' are the prizes here, though the Henderson's are not far off from those younger Bonds. Goose perpetually hits .300 in the Super-League

Lord Barrold Bonds

Barry Bonds '00
Barry Bonds '89
Barry Bonds '88

Not Barry Bonds… but still good

Rickey Henderson '89
Rickey Hederson '85
Goose Goslin '30

They can Hit

Moises Alou '98
Adam Dunn '06

Pass

Garret Anderson '02
Don Baylor '78
George Stone '06
Lou Brock '79

Center Field

Best guy is the Say-Hey kid… and most of us know how he does in the superleague. After him there are a good deal of good guys, but no one that will knock your socks off.

Willie Mays Class

Willie Mays '54

Good Starters

Andy Pafko '45
Max Carey '21
Sam Crawford '03

Guys who could start every day… if you want to get relegated
Carlos Beltran '04
Larry Doby '51
Lenny Dysktra '89
Chet Lemon '38

Don't loving draft Bernie WIlliams, you idiots

Andy Van Slyke '88
Bernie Williams '98
Jose Cardenal '70
Rick Monday '76
Jimmy Barett '03

Right Field

Babe Ruth should be the first pick of the draft. Anyone that does not pick him is an idiot unless they trade the pick for a better Babe Ruth or like 3 Pedro's. After him, Walker and Flick are good for opposite reasons, power and speed respectively. Ichiro and Clemente are surprisingly similar, no walks, good contact, no power. Tim Salmon has a dumb name.

Babe loving Ruth

Babe Ruth '18

Good Guys

Larry Walker '97
Elmer Flick '02

I guess these guys are good if you hate dingers

Ichiro '02
Roberto Clemente '64

Oh man, this got bad fast

Tommy Hendrich '38
Tim Salmon '02
Dwight Evans '87
Brian Giles '06
Andre Dawson '89
Carl Everett '98
Ken Griffey '83
Mike Cameron '06
Don Baylor '78
Harrison Baines '84
Socks Seybold '02

Starting Pitchers

So starting pitching is an odd monster this draft. It is horribly thin at the top. With no guys who are sure thing aces, and only a few who can really be #1 guys. However, it is stupid deep with guys who can be legit #3 or #4 guys. As far as rankings go, its pretty hard to rank pitching, so Ill just put where I see each guy in terms of rotation spot.

#1?
uh… Greg Maddux '89
Nolan Ryan '78… I guess

Bob Gibson '70
Randy Johnson '98
Juan Marichal '62
Jim Bunning '64

Don Sutton '71
Rick Reuchel '76
Rick Reuchel '77
Rube Waddel '02
Steve Carlton '70
Eddie Plank '11
Eddie Plank '02
Dean Chance '64
Whitey Ford '64
Carl Mays '21

Lefty Gomez '38
Curt Schilling '98
Frank Tanana '78
Jose Rijo '90
Jose Rijo '95

Urban Shocker '16
Rick Sutcliffe '89
Stephen Strasburg '12
Sad Sam Jones '18

Fringe
Andy Messersmith '74
Felix Hernandez '10
Cliff Lee '10
Jim Kaat '75
Andy Pettite '97

Eeeeeeh…
David Wells '95
Doug Drabek '88
Jered Weaver '06
Bret Saberhagen '95
Bob Shawkey '16
Jarrod Washburn '02
AJ Burnett '06
Jack McDowell '95
John SMiley '95
John Smiley '88
Chris Short '64
Red Ruffing '38
Chris Young '06
Jeff Treseau '15
Bob Walk '88
Jake Weimar '03
Mike Mapton '96
Jack Taylor
Kevin Appier '02
Claude Rasseau '45
Hank Wyse '45

Relief Pitching

Relief pitching is a mixed bag in every draft, just like it is in real time. Instead of separating guys, I'm just going to subjectively rank the first 15 guys. The full pool can be found in the Dispersal Draft Google Doc.

1. Rollie Fingers '70
2. Goose Gossage '75
3. Hoyt Willhelm '54
4. Billy Wagner '98
5. Bruce Sutter '76
6. Rob Nenn '96
7. Trevor Hoffman '06
8. Daniel Bard '11
9. Jason Motte '09
10. Fransisco Rodriguez '02
11. Mitch Williams '89
12. Joe Nathan '06
13 Bobby Schantz '64
14. Alfredo Acevases
15. Mark Little '79

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Woah, I didn't come in last? So I managed to even blow a top draft pick. Seems about right.

4th is still going to at least get you either Barry Bonds or Babe Ruth, as evidenced by mks' draft preview. And that's if everyone before you takes Ruth and Bonds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Monathin posted:

4th is still going to at least get you either Barry Bonds or Babe Ruth, as evidenced by mks' draft preview. And that's if everyone before you takes Ruth and Bonds.

Well, I guess that's a start. Probably won't help me too much.