Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
A friendly reminder that you should not gut PlayChoice-10s to make your RGB NES/Famicoms or whatever. Stop killing all that old hardware, there are only so many of them and you are killing video game history why are you killing video game history knock it off history haters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mercury Crusader posted:

A friendly reminder that you should not gut PlayChoice-10s to make your RGB NES/Famicoms or whatever. Stop killing all that old hardware, there are only so many of them and you are killing video game history why are you killing video game history knock it off history haters

Isn't this the same argument used against stem cell research?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Mercury Crusader posted:

Agreed.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Yes. The rgb ppu alone usually goes for close to that .

What good does it do him that it goes for "close to that", either he guts it and the hardware is useless and he makes a loss, or he doesn't and the value of the PPU is irrelevant. If it was $100 that would be a good argument but as it stands, the individual value of the PPU is meaningless if it's less than what he's paying.

univbee posted:

What?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Mercury Crusader posted:

You aren't inherently killing it. If done properly, the PPU can be reseated in the hardware. And re-purposing it for something you'd use more is at least somewhat a noble endeavor.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

univbee posted:

I don't think people are dying because they can't play their NES via RGB.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Oh jesus can we please not have another 30 page discussion about PPUs

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Just get a titler nbd :o:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mercury Crusader posted:

I don't think people are dying because they can't play their NES via RGB.

Point taken.

RetroUSB was supposed to have their HDMI top-loader NES ready last month, but they tried to accomplish this by suspending repro construction/sales with a lead-up, which completely backfired as they inadvertently set off a buying frenzy and ultimately ended up spending more time putting together repros than if they'd done nothing at all.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

univbee posted:

Point taken.

RetroUSB was supposed to have their HDMI top-loader NES ready last month, but they tried to accomplish this by suspending repro construction/sales with a lead-up, which completely backfired as they inadvertently set off a buying frenzy and ultimately ended up spending more time putting together repros than if they'd done nothing at all.

Yea, I don't know what's going on with retrousb. I just wish they were a little more transparent. I mean, I realize they're like a two person operation, but they don't really communicate what goes behind the scenes and when stuff releases. Stuff just randomly shows up on their site, and popular stuff sells out within minutes or hours.

I'm lucky that I was able to snatch up a copy of Battle Kid 2 though, but I don't expect to ever see the hdmi nes in stock... unless I get super lucky. There's hundreds of people anticipating that thing, so either it'll be really expensive to curb demand, or there'll never be any stock.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I decide to get it (gotta find a place to put it), I have no plans to gut it. I mean, come on, it's a tabletop playchoice-10. There's a novelty factor going for it for me, as all I've ever seen around here is the standard dual-screen models.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

If you're like me, and you're into 8/16-bit Jump'n'Runs, you've probably played a lot of poo poo. However, you probably skipped a ton of good games as well; I enjoy taking random licensed platformers for a spin and every now and then you find a really good one:

Meet the loving Smurfs.

This game is PAL only as far as I know, so a lot of you have probably missed it. I remember seeing the commercials as a kid (there were NES and GB versions, too) but I never owned it. Lucky for me, because it will murder your balls. Go ahead and google it, you'll find out that it's one of the hardest games for the SNES, and that's for a loving children's game. And it's not the unfair kind of hard, the jumps are well timed and the game lets you control it tightly every step of the way. Nope, it's just brutally hard, everything is out to kill you and it leaves you with the worst of gamer feelings: knowing that if you died, it's your own drat fault. And you will die a lot.

Examples? Water puddles hurt you, snow hurts you, loving butterflies hurt you, fellow Smurfs attack you from all angles and want nothing more than to see you suffer. Hell, the second (!) level has black Smurfs which turn you into one of them if you touch them which kills you instantly; same for the flies in that level which contract that black disease. That's right, I said disease, because The Smurfs doesn't gently caress around: in the second goddamn stage, you are in a black forest pitted against what are basically zombie Smurfs turned feral who are out to kill you. How that's for a kids' game?

Did I mention there's hardly any lives/energy? And you only get a password every four levels, of which there are 13. I have put half a dozen hours into the game so far and I made it to level 11, where you ride a lorry. Everytime I get a game over, I have to play levels 9 and 10 again, only to lose all my lives in the lorry level within two minutes. Because I am poo poo and The Smurfs does not hesitate to call me out on it. The Smurfs will not take any of your bullshit. It will humble you, and if you manage to overcome it, there is a loving sequel.

In conclusion: Play the loving Smurfs.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I was not expecting to see anyone discussing Crystal Caliburn :stare:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I went to another game store today (Level Up Gaming in Manchester NH) and got World of Illusion for Genesis. They also had about 3 Gyromites and thought I might as well see if one had the converter in it. One was a little heavier than the others so I bought it.

:toot:

Now I need some famicom games.

As for video pinball I don't like any of the Genesis ones because the ball physics always feel wrong.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
How big is Level Up Gaming, or is it really new or something? I thought I hit every retro game store in the northeast!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

ACID POLICE posted:

How big is Level Up Gaming, or is it really new or something? I thought I hit every retro game store in the northeast!

It's not huge and the selection isn't that big either but it's laid out well at least. It's right on Elm Street in Manchester. Prices are higher than ebay but that's going to be the case in every brick and mortar store.

http://levelupnh.com/

edit: If you have to travel out of your way to get to it it's not worth it I think.

Overbite fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 5, 2013

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
It's to be expected. Hopefully Video Game Exchange in Plaistow NH is a little cheaper/still in business. Last time I was in there a few times they were asking way too much for everything but I've haggled prices there before.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

ACID POLICE posted:

It's to be expected. Hopefully Video Game Exchange in Plaistow NH is a little cheaper/still in business. Last time I was in there a few times they were asking way too much for everything but I've haggled prices there before.

Last time I was there was back in September and he was in the process of moving a couple units down in the same plaza. Prices were still crazy. It takes me almost an hour and a half to get down there so I don't go that often.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Overbite posted:

I went to another game store today (Level Up Gaming in Manchester NH) and got World of Illusion for Genesis
:hfive:

Have you played it before? Let me know what you think of it :allears:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Unmature posted:

:hfive:

Have you played it before? Let me know what you think of it :allears:

I think you're trying to get at something but its going over my head :shobon:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Man, I really like the look of Crystal Caliburn---did it end up getting ported anywhere?

I need to get stuck in on these new pinball sims they have these days. At least until I can start buying classic tables on my own...

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Overbite posted:

I think you're trying to get at something but its going over my head :shobon:

I--what? What I'm getting at is, "I like that game a lot and want to know what you think of it."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

Man, I really like the look of Crystal Caliburn---did it end up getting ported anywhere?

Crystal Caliburn 2 appears to be the same table only with modern effects. It got ported to iOS.

The original game, as far as I know, started on the Mac and then got a PC port and that was it.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
I got a copy of Eternal Darkness from the local store for $5 and...it's scratched to hell and back. All the games I originally bought play perfectly fine but I just cannot seem to get a used gamecube game that is in decent shape.

So I think I'm going to break down and mod my gamecube. Is XenoGC the best/only chip still available? Is it terribly hard to install? My soldering skills aren't what they used to be (I don't think I could do a PS2 chip as bad as my eyes are now, but used to do them quite a bit)

I've also heard about replacing the case with a full DVD case but is this necessary? Most games should fit on a mini-dvd-r, correct?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Yes, xenogc is the only option. The wireless install is.. Interesting. It worked my first go but something decided to disconnect so I had to reflow the chip. The points themselves aren't very difficult, I'd put the job between psx and dreamcast. I wouldn't bother with the wireless approach unless you're feeling adventurous.

The best place to get the chip at is eurasia.nu. Shipping is a little slow from Taiwan but I know the owner and is trustworthy.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Did a bit of searching today, but only found an over-priced Scooby-Doo for Genesis. Good game, but I don't feel like paying more than 10 bucks for it, so I passed.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Unmature posted:

I--what? What I'm getting at is, "I like that game a lot and want to know what you think of it."

Oh sorry I thought maybe you worked on the game or something :v:

Anyway I hooked my Genesis up to my LCD TV because I don't own a CRT and it looks terrible like all Genesis games do on this TV. However it also has some weird slowdown and the sprites get interlaced and disappear when I attack something near them. I've never played this game before but I'm assuming this isn't normal? The only other game I have on hand is Madden 93 (others are in a bin I'd have to get to) and that one didn't seem to have slowdown or sprite flickers but it's football so maybe it's supposed to be slow.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Ambitious Spider posted:

Did a bit of searching today, but only found an over-priced Scooby-Doo for Genesis. Good game, but I don't feel like paying more than 10 bucks for it, so I passed.

Scooby Doo Mystery? That's a really underrated adventure game. It's basically a LucasArts game with Scooby Doo.

Overbite posted:

Oh sorry I thought maybe you worked on the game or something :v:

Nope, just love it. One of the games I grew up with and have mountains of nostalgia for but still genuinely believe it's one of the prettiest games on Genesis. Fun co-op too. I've posted about it in this thread like a million pages ago.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

So, I saw a good deal on the local Craigslist and had to jump on it. I've done it... I've (re)joined the ranks of People Who Own a Dreamcast.

Ah, just looking on all that brings back warm memories of my senior year of hs/freshman year of college. Before I traded mine in for a Gamecube and Smash Bros.

Everything all laid out. As you can see, in addition to the system and 4 controllers, he also gave me about 6 extra A/V hookups of some capacity; two cable extenders for the controllers; and a memory card. Are the other two rumble packs? One Sega branded and one knockoff?

All the games it came with. I remember liking Sonic Adventure 2 a fair bit when I was younger, Mortal Kombat Gold looks like an enhanced port of MK4, which I also liked for some reason, and everyone always says Toy Commander is great. I've never played a Tom Clancy Rainbow Six game, or that Tomb Raider - are either of these any good?

---

So, all of this together came to $40. Now, I haven't gotten a chance to test the system and make sure everything works, so I'll have to do that tonight. Assuming everything does work, are there any other games I should be looking to add to my Dreamcast library? I know the system had the best versions of House of the Dead 2 and Crazy Taxi, and I know that Skies of Arcadia was great (if expensive now). Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Also, my cat got interested in the games, too:

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Gut the playchoice, gut em all

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Class3KillStorm posted:

Assuming everything does work, are there any other games I should be looking to add to my Dreamcast library? I know the system had the best versions of House of the Dead 2 and Crazy Taxi, and I know that Skies of Arcadia was great (if expensive now). Is there anything else I should be aware of?

There are many, many Dreamcast games worth owning, both exclusives as well as enhanced versions of multi-platform titles.

This post may help: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515794&pagenumber=93&perpage=40#post411282343

I think I can speak for the thread in saying that you should immediately start looking for Elemental Gimmick Gear.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Class3KillStorm posted:

Also, my cat got interested in the games, too:

Check out that sick no scope headshot.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Class3KillStorm posted:

So, I saw a good deal on the local Craigslist and had to jump on it. I've done it... I've (re)joined the ranks of People Who Own a Dreamcast.

Let me know if you don't need some of those cables.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Overbite posted:

I went to another game store today (Level Up Gaming in Manchester NH) and got World of Illusion for Genesis. They also had about 3 Gyromites and thought I might as well see if one had the converter in it. One was a little heavier than the others so I bought it.

:toot:

Now I need some famicom games.

As for video pinball I don't like any of the Genesis ones because the ball physics always feel wrong.

What's up Manchester NH buddy! How is level up gaming? I've been meaning to check it out.

Also you should check out this second hand store on Candia Rd called Thrifty's. They have some retrogames at the front counter. Not a great selection but pretty cheap and it seems they get some new stuff in fairly regularly.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Well, spending all day digging around for new MSU1 info yielded some interesting results. Someone got it working for A Link to the Past (but didn't make it downloadable :argh:) and someone else got it working for Flashback using the FM Towns version's audio (whom I found had posted both a compiled ROM and the code!) The code is a huge deal, since it's only for MSU1 stuff and a lot more straightforward to look at, although he obviously reverse-engineered the ROM to figure out where the calls to play the music were so he could intercept them. This is the part I can't figure out and I think/hope is the last major piece of the puzzle (at least the others I'm pretty sure I can figure with trial and error). I feel like I have a treasure map whose starting point is unlabeled.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

univbee posted:

I feel like I have a treasure map whose starting point is unlabeled.

Treasure maps typically have the end point labeled, not the starting point.

:goonsay:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
If you're looking into msu1 coding look at my first few posts here as I explain the entire process on hacking roms to support it

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Overbite posted:

Anyway I hooked my Genesis up to my LCD TV because I don't own a CRT and it looks terrible like all Genesis games do on this TV. However it also has some weird slowdown and the sprites get interlaced and disappear when I attack something near them. I've never played this game before but I'm assuming this isn't normal? The only other game I have on hand is Madden 93 (others are in a bin I'd have to get to) and that one didn't seem to have slowdown or sprite flickers but it's football so maybe it's supposed to be slow.

I went and loaded up World of Illusion on an emulator to see if it was supposed to be like that and it turns out the game does play slowly and there's a lot of flickering that doesn't work well on LCD apparently. I thought maybe the Genesis was going.

overdriveGTO posted:

What's up Manchester NH buddy! How is level up gaming? I've been meaning to check it out.

Also you should check out this second hand store on Candia Rd called Thrifty's. They have some retrogames at the front counter. Not a great selection but pretty cheap and it seems they get some new stuff in fairly regularly.

I posted about Level Up a few posts ago! I never have any luck at thrift stores, sadly. The ones around here have no games and if for some reason they get one it's sports or overpriced.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

If you're looking into msu1 coding look at my first few posts here as I explain the entire process on hacking roms to support it

Son of a...I think we've had this conversation before and you talk briefly about it in general terms early in the thread, but it's on your 2nd page of posts (which I hadn't checked before) that another conversation starts up and you get into more technical nitty-gritty. Hopefully your earlier findings can be brought to fruition. Thanks!

These two posts mainly: 1 2

univbee fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 5, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

Son of a...I think we've had this conversation before but you talk briefly about it in general terms early on, but it's on your 2nd page of posts (which I hadn't checked before) that another conversation starts up and you get into more technical nitty-gritty. Hopefully your earlier findings can be brought to fruition. Thanks!

These two posts mainly: 1 2

To state the abridged version without any documentation in front of me the snes works on tables for MOST (not all) games which will have a track list of sorts and you need to find the call just before the track number in the table is passed to the spu to intercept and do a small routine. The actual msu programming isn't too difficult just mapping the rom can be a pain.

I have ff6 in an almost done state but I haven't had the drive to go back due to work being hellacious as of late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Unmature posted:

Scooby Doo Mystery? That's a really underrated adventure game. It's basically a LucasArts game with Scooby Doo.

Yea. I rented it a lot as a kid, and looking around on ebay, seems 15 dollars isn't a terrible price for it. Maybe I should have bought it.

Anyway, been playing some Gargoyle's Quest lately. Game is pretty fun, but it'd be more fun if it saved and didn't use a password system.

• Locked thread