Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Next week is gonna be Mikasa's flashback and the stuff leading to it. Two weeks will probably be a cliffhanger end with Mikasa between the titans or The Punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
Depending on how they pace it, Mikasa's flashback + getting to the supply building could take 1-2 episodes. I'm thinking they'll take 2 episodes to do it, just to drag it out and make it less obvious that Eren is coming back.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I love reading the anime thread.

People are accepting/speculating that Eren is dead. One guy even suggested that Armin is the protagonist.

Sled
May 20, 2004

Musashi not only wields a sword but also a pair of pistols.
This adaptation is making me wish I hadn't read the manga yet, because its done so goddamn well. I really hope the animation keeps up. The whole over the shoulder animation making you think poo poo's going to go down, then it does...just not in a way expected. Its hard to capture just how agile they can be with still panels, and seeing it animated just makes it look so surreal, like when Eren's foot gets bitten off.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Eren's leg being bitten was shockingly well animated. They're really doing right by the manga so far.

I laughed at that, too. I picture him just thinking that Eran only has the regenerative properties and will just grow back his limbs and nothing more. I was surprised how immediately someone jumped to that conclusion, though. I tend to be pretty clueless about plot twists, but it wouldn't be something I would expect.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I went back looking for the names of the people who died (RIP Thomas, Mina, Nack, and Millius :smith:), and the bottom of this page really does lend to the whole love triangle thing. Why would Mikasa assume that Annie (and not, say, Marco or Reiner) would know otherwise?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Oneiros posted:

I'm hoping we see this next week (and that the preview was just avoiding showing titan Eren). I've been rereading the manga and one of the things that continues to impress me is the titan-on-titan fight scenes and how brutal they feel. Titan Eren v titan Annie is going to be amazing. :allears:

Are you kidding? There really needs to be an episode or two on Mikasa, then a few episodes of mysterious rage Titan going sickhouse on other titans. Hopefully the anime can do like the manga and get close to 5 episodes out of Eren is dead.

Going through and reading those chapters again, the expressions on Reiner and Bertholdt's faces when Eren turns out to be the titan are fantastic. Before the smoke clears and it's Eren it looks like they might even be scared it's someone else revealing they can transform. Afterwards it's just "gently caress, of all the people to have Titan powers".

Edit: The pure ecstasy on Eren's face when he's remembering his transformation and finally being able to kill all Titans is something I really hope the anime nails as well as they did Sasha's face after offering the drill sergent "half" her potato.

Edit 2: Wonder if the one person speculating that Titans reproduce via eating humans in the anime thread is going to jump right to the conclusion that rage Titan is Eren and their theory is QED.

Also now I can't decide if I want Eren Titan's anger roars to sound vaguely human or just go full Godzilla sound.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 5, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think this side-story chapter has ever been posted here before - Chapter 9.5 - Special: Corporal Rivaille :black101:

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 5, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Kind of hope they put that in there with chapter 8 stuff so Eren is still dead. It makes it look like Rivaille is Eren 2.0, the new protagonist coming to team up with Mikasa and kick some rear end.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Gyges posted:

Kind of hope they put that in there with chapter 8 stuff so Eren is still dead. It makes it look like Rivaille is Eren 2.0, the new protagonist coming to team up with Mikasa and kick some rear end.

I could see them doing this, but with chapter 7 rather than 8. It would allow them to pad out episode 7 without breaking continuity, so that the Renegade Titan would remain an end of episode cliffhanger. The next episode preview looks like their going to do all of 'The World through a little girls eyes' and they still have the entire chapter before it to go through.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Somehow I missed this the first time round, but apparently Reiner has wanted to marry Christa since Chapter 24 - http://www.batoto.net/read/_/21419/shingeki-no-kyojin_v6_ch24_by_tdx/9

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Pensive posted:

I could see them doing this, but with chapter 7 rather than 8. It would allow them to pad out episode 7 without breaking continuity, so that the Renegade Titan would remain an end of episode cliffhanger. The next episode preview looks like their going to do all of 'The World through a little girls eyes' and they still have the entire chapter before it to go through.

As long as one of those two episodes ends with Mikasa on foot staring down the titan and they open the next episode with "Howl" I will not be disappointed.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Jackard posted:

It begins.

:q:
I've been looking forward to this all week. :allears:

Wonder how quickly they'll figure out the Eren-Titan thing once he appears?

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:

Quantum Toast posted:

I've been looking forward to this all week. :allears:

Wonder how quickly they'll figure out the Eren-Titan thing once he appears?

As soon as we get to see him, I suppose. The hair/eyes makes it quite apparent.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Grei Skuring posted:

Well there is Mr.Glasgow (the Erin lookalike you see when the titans start coming in the gate), the animé made him a bit more noticeable than the manga did.

Unfortunately we probably won't get many people falling for that red herring because a production error appears to have given him the wrong hair colour (he was blonde in his close-up but it went back to the correct black in the aerial shot).

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Pyromancer posted:

I think that dream of his father giving him shots couple of episodes ago has something to do with what'll happen next. My guess is he gets regeneration like giants, and maybe gets super-sized too

Oh me oh my, someone give this man a prize. :golfclap:

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

Oh me oh my, someone give this man a prize. :golfclap:

Sorry, but I mixed up the anime and manga threads for a moment and accidentally reported this post for pseudo spoilers. Whichever mod gets here first, sorry my report was baseless. Also sorry for accusing you baselessly Autonomous Monster.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Grei Skuring posted:

Plus he deliberately goes after the titans who killed his squad. Also the burning hatred of his fellow Titans along with his fighting style.

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

Somehow I missed this the first time round, but apparently Reiner has wanted to marry Christa since Chapter 24 - http://www.batoto.net/read/_/21419/shingeki-no-kyojin_v6_ch24_by_tdx/9

It was only on my second readthrough that I realized Christa was the one who used up the alcohol.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/140730/shingeki-no-kyojin_v10_ch39_by_tdx/34
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/145464/shingeki-no-kyojin_v10_ch40_by_tdx/12

Reiner doesn't even need first aid, that bastard :argh:!

Thoren
May 28, 2008

JosephWongKS posted:

What a little bitch. He was ready to let her die to at the tower too. Ryner really did lose his way as a warrior.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
With the pace the anime is going, looks like it'll end when Annie is captured, probably ending like Chapter 34.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
If they're certain they can get a second season then that would be a pretty great place to end things for now.

Looking at the anime thread, I hope people don't get too upset about what's coming up. A number of folks have hit on the idea of Eren having regen or some other shounen powers and few seem to see it as a positive turn of events.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Popo posted:

If they're certain they can get a second season then that would be a pretty great place to end things for now.

Looking at the anime thread, I hope people don't get too upset about what's coming up. A number of folks have hit on the idea of Eren having regen or some other shounen powers and few seem to see it as a positive turn of events.

I'd say that's because a lot of them are still expecting a standard shonen powerup instead of a giant skull faced ragebeast that screws up/gets his rear end kicked 80% of the time.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Speaking of where the anime's going... as far as I know the manga never mentioned Armin's parents. And the anime has, twice. First to explicitly say they were killed in Shiganshina (I actually don't remember if this was in the manga, not that it matters all that much, but I don't think so) and second, in episode 5, he says in the flashback with the book on the outside world, "This is a secret, but my parents are going to the outside world soon!"

Definitely not in the manga, and it raises a lot of questions.

You really have to wonder how they'll do things, because honestly if it's an anime original ending... how are they going to explain Reiner and Bertholt? Pretty much everything they've done, looking back on it, has been related to their true identities, but we honestly still don't know their true motives... so what could the anime do? (Besides just having titans attack and every die without answering any questions, that is. I'm always a fan of that option.)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The manga did mention Armin's parents at some point, though it's just one line saying they were killed in Shiganshina. We never see it though.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Eiba posted:

Speaking of where the anime's going... as far as I know the manga never mentioned Armin's parents. And the anime has, twice. First to explicitly say they were killed in Shiganshina (I actually don't remember if this was in the manga, not that it matters all that much, but I don't think so) and second, in episode 5, he says in the flashback with the book on the outside world, "This is a secret, but my parents are going to the outside world soon!"

Definitely not in the manga, and it raises a lot of questions

No, that stuff was in the manga, I distinctly remember that.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zorak posted:

Not the stuff about his parents going outside the walls. Unless he mentions it somewhere other than that flashback as he's being eaten.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

It's a lot more obvious than in the manga since they already had the injection scene.
The key alone could have been picked up from his corpse, but the secret visit makes it clearer that his personal story hasn't ended.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 5, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I wonder if they'll just rearrange stuff and show Eren transform into a Titan before Rage Titan shows up to save Mikasa.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Gyges posted:

I wonder if they'll just rearrange stuff and show Eren transform into a Titan before Rage Titan shows up to save Mikasa.

That would be a terrible decision and so far they've avoided those.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gyges posted:

That would be The Worst

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Gyges posted:

Doubt it. It made sense to reorder the training stuff to stretch out the beginning, but the whole transformation thing would undermine everyone's reactions to a Titan fighting other Titans and completely ruin the revelation at the end.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I apparently completely forgot how the Eren Becomes A Titan thing goes down because I thought he just got eaten and then hulked straight the gently caress out of that guys belly and everyone was kind of like "yeah that's the guy. I mean this is weird but that's our dude sooooo..."

I guess after two years you should expect for certain things to be fuzzy but wow i've forgotten the entire thing.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

genericnick posted:

It's a lot more obvious than in the manga since they already had the injection scene.

It's shown before Eren gets chomped on in both versions. Much easier to overlook when you're barreling through the first part of the manga instead of sitting around for a week between 20-minute episodes though.

Zorak posted:

Seconding Eiba, the extra line in episode 5 about Armin's parents secretly going outside the wall before the first attack wasn't in that scene in the manga nor do I remember reading it elsewhere. Seems likely that it's setting up an anime-only plot point.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I thought he was implying his parents were members of the Survey Corps and got munched on.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Based on some of the reactions in the thread I get the feeling a few people are going to be dropping the show as soon as Eren gets his power.

musouka
Apr 24, 2009

Rei_ posted:

Based on some of the reactions in the thread I get the feeling a few people are going to be dropping the show as soon as Eren gets his power.

That's the second reaction I'm looking forward to the most. All the people claiming they'll quit in disgust/rage, when it actually makes the series even better than it was before.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't know if it makes the series better, but I doubt many will leave if they're already invested and given how high the batting average for the show is this early on. That's what kept me around even though I thought "oh that's actually kind-of weak for a series this abnormally strong" once the reveal happened.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Autumncomet posted:

I thought he was implying his parents were members of the Survey Corps and got munched on.

They were part of a conscripted army supposedly meant to retake the wall, but they were just a bunch of normal civilians so no one really bought the pretense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011
Honestly, while I was apprehensive when it was first revealed, I don't think the manga would have held up nearly as well if it weren't the case. Otherwise it would either just end up being people hopelessly killing themselves against titans forever or it would look like anything even vaguely resembling a victory humanity would have would look like a huge asspull.

Edit: Or he would have had to make the titans way less threatening, which would ruin at least half the fun.

Hikarusa fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 5, 2013