Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Extended barrel and AP ammo is the best choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

UnknownMercenary posted:

Extended barrel and AP ammo is the best choice.

Doesn't the Typhoon already have innate armor or cover piercing or does it have a multiplier against armor? It's been a while so I don't really remember.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

chami posted:

Doesn't the Typhoon already have innate armor or cover piercing or does it have a multiplier against armor? It's been a while so I don't really remember.

It has both IIRC, but the 1.5x armor multiplier is applied after armor's damage reduction. In absolute terms, the typhoon actually benefits more from armor reduction effects than most other guns.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Is there some trick I haven't figured out yet to avoid instant one-hit-kill attacks after a Vanguard Charge?

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008

Smol posted:

Is there some trick I haven't figured out yet to avoid instant one-hit-kill attacks after a Vanguard Charge?

Every enemy that has a instant-kill ether has a requirement move it must before it can instant-kill or a period of time where it can't instant-kill.
Phantoms,Atlases,Psions have to use their melee attack before they can perform their kill moves.
Brutes can use their kill move after a standing melee or their leap attack. It's safe to counter charge them.
Banshees won't use their kill move if they are throwing warp balls or if they'er not glowing.
Praetorian's can only use their kill move when they are on the ground.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Zoran posted:

It has both IIRC, but the 1.5x armor multiplier is applied after armor's damage reduction. In absolute terms, the typhoon actually benefits more from armor reduction effects than most other guns.

Yeah it's applied after the damage reduction, so you lose 75 damage per shot to armor instead of 50 without a form of armor piercing.

For maximum damage, extended barrel and warp ammo is the best setup. Warp ammo's armor weakening is roughly analogous to AP's armor reduction, but without a piercing mod you lose a lot of versatility. The Typhoon can't get double and triple hits on bosses, and you can't hit enemies who are hiding behind walls. The Typhoon's strength is continuous fire (while having reasonable damage unlike the Spitfire) and having to stop because an enemy took cover behind a wall is a bummer.

HVB + Warp and EB + AP are about the same in terms of time to kill. HVB + Warp is the better option if you're with adept teammates or you know you're facing Collectors, but EB + AP is more versatile since the Warp ammo bonus to barriers is not a game changer when the Typhoon already has a 1.5x multiplier for both shields and health.

HVB + Incendiary is not a bad choice but you're relying on damage over time. I wouldn't recommend this setup unless you're using the Krogan or Batarian soldier specced for grenades. BSN sleuths figured out that inferno grenades + incendiary ammo does way more damage than incendiary ammo + Warp. To exploit this, you want to throw a grenade, then fire your incendiary ammo equipped gun at whatever's already burning and an extra strong DoT applies as long as your bullets are hitting whatever you burned with the grenade.

tl;dr use EB + AP ammo.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I just started using the Krogan Warlord Sentinel and, holy crap.

The build I found online said to use both electrical hammer and biotic, is this right?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

I'm personally a fan of dropping Electric Hammer since pubby coordination is terrible and full Biotic Hammer does absurd damage, but if you do happen to have someone priming tech bursts Electric can set off some insane explosions, so it's a matter of how likely you think that is.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Electric Hammer is great for crowds, though. Also I think you can self-explode if you follow up with Biotic Hammer, but it's been a while since I've played him.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

6 rounds of gold, counted 28 revives. Nobody else turned up to do the hack objective on round 6, so I had to solo it. Gotta love pubbies. :shepicide:

E: If anyone needs a new gimmick build... Tech armor!.

Smol fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 2, 2013

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Uuuggh, that sucked, the whole squad was dead the first time by wave 7 which I then had to finish alone meanwhile trying to figure out how to kill Phantoms with the Typhoon and grenades while suffering from that nasty bug/lag thing which makes it impossible to reload even if you stand next to a reload point. You guys probably know what I'm talking about? You run to a crate of ammo, stand there, and nothing happens until the enemy is upon you and you have to run to the next reload station and hope for the best. I don't know how on earth we made a full estraction, but probably the fact I have no consumables left (making the whole run very cost ineffective as for credits) and the rest of the team spent rounds 7, 8 and 9 mostly dead has something to do with it. Suddenly when it was wave 10 and 11 they could revive themselves or at least keep themselves safe if I didn't have the time to do it for them... FUCKERS!

Fighting several Dragoons and Atlases all alone really sucks when you know you have to save your rockets and you don't even have a method to convey your displeasure to your teammates without mikes, which of course nobody had... grrrrr.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Ligur posted:

Uuuggh, that sucked, the whole squad was dead the first time by wave 7 which I then had to finish alone meanwhile trying to figure out how to kill Phantoms with the Typhoon and grenades while suffering from that nasty bug/lag thing which makes it impossible to reload even if you stand next to a reload point. You guys probably know what I'm talking about? You run to a crate of ammo, stand there, and nothing happens until the enemy is upon you and you have to run to the next reload station and hope for the best.
Ammo boxes only give out a set amount of ammo per increment of time, and I'm pretty sure it gets worse on higher difficulties. You'll definitely notice this on a Giant/Platinum when everyone is humping the LZ box at the same time waiting for it to refresh. I'm pretty sure there's a trick you can use of firing off a couple of rounds from a full clip to make it refresh a bit earlier, but there's a small chance I was fooling myself.

What map were you on? Condor is by far the worst for ammo.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Yeah, I think there's a recent bug that prevents you from picking up ammo if your clip is full. I've only seen it a few times, but it's really irritating.

I took the stock human soldier out for a spin recently, and man, Adrenaline Rush is almost as bad as Krogan Rage on Hazard White.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
It was Firebase Dagger. I spent my clips far faster than I was allowed to reload, never had it that bad. Maybe it was just because I had to fight alone so much between waves 7-9 so I was firing the Typhoon more or less constantly and it wasn't even a bug, but it felt wrong and I've never had that happen before.

I don't ever use Adrenaline Rush anymore on the human soldier. Spamming concussive shot with hammer/shredder is so much better.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Yeah, I think there's a recent bug that prevents you from picking up ammo if your clip is full. I've only seen it a few times, but it's really irritating.

I took the stock human soldier out for a spin recently, and man, Adrenaline Rush is almost as bad as Krogan Rage on Hazard White.

I've been able to ignore the effects on mostly everything, but holy poo poo multiple-stack Biotic Focus literally gave me an instantaneous headache.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

So I've not played this in a long time and kind of want to get back into the multiplayer.

http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/?name=Toiwat&platform=pc

Any tips for someone who hasn't played since a few months after release?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Toiwat posted:

So I've not played this in a long time and kind of want to get back into the multiplayer.

Krogan *something* with the Claymore or Turian Soldier with the Saber should work nicely. You can also focus on powers while you build up your manifest with the tried and true Human Adept (Novaguard if you're hosting).

If you like a challenge, try the Talon.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Well since there was a sale at gamers gate two of my friends picked this up so I finally got to try out the multi player. Its ludicrously challenging but entertaining, we've only gotten to the 9th wave so far in a bunch of random matches. Right now we have a Vanguard who kills everything, me on infiltrator steeling kills and a sentinel who is always dead.
Only problem is me and the sentinel keep getting this bug where our guys refuse to take cover. They make the motion of entering cover then leave. Don't know what's going on but it persists through multiple matches.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Cainer posted:

Only problem is me and the sentinel keep getting this bug where our guys refuse to take cover. They make the motion of entering cover then leave. Don't know what's going on but it persists through multiple matches.
Known bug. Only fix is restarting the game completely.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Toiwat posted:

Cerberus and Geth both had new units (Dragoons and Geth Bombers) added to them which are designed to kill you if you hole up in a corner, so a more mobile playstyle is needed. Hazard maps have been added and give bonus XP, good for leveling. Collectors were added and are giant dicks, meaning Unknown / Unknown got hairier. What that means is that having boss-killing power and mook-killing power in balance is key for your classes. Explosions help a bunch. In that regard, another big change is that fire and ice tech explosions don't require the enemy to be killed, making tech classes more on par with biotic classes as an alternative explode everything strategy. This is good, because since launch most enemies have gained a fair bit more health.

From your manifest, the Saber, Valkyrie, and Arc Pistol just by themselves will keep you set on Gold on weapons classes. Arc Pistol's been buffed significantly on its charge shots since launch, and now a charged shot has as much punch as a Black Widow, but with double the ammo and less recoil. Saber with a scope is perfect for headshots and does solid damage. Valkyrie's a solid alternative to the Mattock if you don't like clicking every shot.

Character-wise, they buffed lift grenades a ton, so Asari Vanguard is surprisingly powerful if you take the power evolution on Biotic Charge (power buffs affect grenades). Singularity got buffed to prime any and all targets inside, so Human Adept is now a very solid class (still don't take Radius on Shockwave). Techsplosions also mean Human Engineer's even more powerful than before, too, especially with something to stagger with. Video guides on Gold are linked.

Edit: In other news, finally got a Typhoon. Found out it works really well on a Justicar with Warp Ammo and a Power Efficiency Module - The cooldown and duration on Reave winds up being just enough to get most of the full mag out. There's other ways to get higher DPS, but it's therapeutic to be able to hold down the trigger for a while.

40 Proof Listerine fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 6, 2013

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Yeah I topscored like five Platinums in a row with a Human Engy w/ Incendiary Adas. I used to roll with a Scorpion, then I watched that video and I saw the light

Sigh. Fighting Platinum Collectors tooth and loving nail, of course it's a Crap Four on wave 10, running out of consumables, the one other guy who knew what the gently caress making a valiant dash for the final cap point and ending up getting stomped. Because the other two guys on the mission were a pair of loving boat anchors.

I've more or less fully moved on to Platinum now though, Gold is too boring and I need just under 100 black cards to max out my manifest...

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Known bug. Only fix is restarting the game completely.

Oh that's kinda sad. I don't suppose the game still receives patching does it?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cainer posted:

Oh that's kinda sad. I don't suppose the game still receives patching does it?

Nope, whatever bugs are left will remain there forever.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Introducing a friend to the game, roll Collectors on Unknown Enemy. Manage to punch a Praetorian to death with a krogan using a batarian gauntlet, earning me Praetorian Points I. :black101:

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
Is Kroguard pretty much the main way that most people solo gold? (I assume that all of you extremely good people could solo it with anyone, but I'm curious about the approachable, casual way of doing it). I've played a ton in the last couple weeks, but all of the stuff since--and including--the N7 classes is sorta new to me, so I don't know if anything has been introduced that allows an equally doable solo.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

a slim spar posted:

Is Kroguard pretty much the main way that most people solo gold? (I assume that all of you extremely good people could solo it with anyone, but I'm curious about the approachable, casual way of doing it). I've played a ton in the last couple weeks, but all of the stuff since--and including--the N7 classes is sorta new to me, so I don't know if anything has been introduced that allows an equally doable solo.

Geth Trooper is pretty easy to solo Gold with since it has huge base shields + Flamer.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
You can also solo with the Turian Ghost or EDIbot because both have Tactical Cloak and the ability to soak damage vis-a-vis Stims/Repair Matrix and can set off Chain Overload.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

a slim spar posted:

Huntress vs reapers is pretty easy too, cloaked dark channel will eat through most of the bosses. Warp + warp/incendiary ammo will take care of everything else.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
Thanks for your suggestions! I have none of those yet, blugh :flaccid:

I did just now get the Awakened Collector, and that makes me feel like I may get get some new classes from time to time! Instead of just getting random interchangeable Quarians forever and ever. (p.s. is there some accepted way to spec this guy? I usually figure it out myself but his poo poo is all weird, even his fitness and passive trees)

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

God drat. Was playing on FB Reactor when we got the hack objective inside the core. So naturally a pubbie decides to vent the core and get sync killed by a Praetorian while the rest of us were inside doing the hack objective. :jerkbag:

Smol fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 6, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
This is why I always run with a Turian Ghost or EDIbot. You pop 1, maybe 2 of your revives and you'll ride out the core dumping just fine.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

a slim spar posted:

The Geth Juggernaut makes it very simple to solo gold. The trade-off is that it is very boring. But I have never had any interest in soloing other than completing the challenges, so I did it anyway.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I updated all the Adept and Vanguard builds in my ridiculously long buildpost

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499990&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=79#post407749519

Probably do the Sentinels next, biotic supremacy

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I've been rolling with the Collector Sniper Rifle recently. It's very passable. No complaints at all about it.

YesManKablam
Feb 19, 2013
Happy to be back into this game. Within my first hour of playing again I unlocked the Volus Sentinel and the Talon Merc.

Can't wait to start loving around with builds for them. :allears:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Wave 10 on Firebase Giant, Gold, Pizza objective. The runner dies on the middle of the open ground on the upper part of the level (near the horrible central hack objective) while everywhere around it is swarming with Cerberus troops. Do you

[ ] Use those goddamn rockets to clear it out and finish the objective.
[X] Rockets? Let's just die horribly to the Phantoms, Dragoons and Atlases that respawn left and right as we kill them

I think there are at least three spawns around that point; trying to kill them with conventional means in a situation like that is just too loving slow. :smith:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Respawns up your rear end during a hack/capture objective are the loving worst. Punt them to the other side of the map or something, if they just respawn 50 ft away you might as well throw invincible enemies at us.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

A Bioware developer just posted a thread of recent gameplay stats. So far it's just a list of most played classes, so I'll just paste it here.

quote:

Top 15 Most Played Kits (All Difficulties)

1. Geth Juggernaut (7.53%)
2. N7 Destroyer (3.97%)
3. Krogan Warlord (2.94%)
4. Alliance Infiltration Unit (2.86%)
5. N7 Shadow (2.78%)
6. Talon Mercenary (2.73%)
7. Collector Adept (2.56%)
8. Human Male Soldier (2.49%)
9. N7 Fury (2.43%)
10. Turian Ghost (2.41%)
11. Geth Trooper (2.34%)
12. N7 Slayer (2.33%)
13. N7 Paladin (2.32%)
14. Turian Female Cabal (2.10%)
15. Human Male Vanguard (2.00%)

Top 15 Most Played Kits (Gold & Platinum Only)

1. Geth Juggernaut (11.81%)
2. N7 Destroyer (5.47%)
3. Turian Ghost (4.38%)
4. Alliance Infiltration Unit (4.28%)
5. Geth Trooper (4.11%)
6. Krogan Warlord (3.01%)
7. N7 Paladin (2.83%)
8. Collector Adept (2.74%)
9. N7 Fury (2.67%)
10. N7 Shadow (2.63%)
11. Geth Infiltrator (2.62%)
12. Talon Mercenary (2.52%)
13. N7 Demolisher (2.24%)
14. Asari Huntress (1.99%)
15. N7 Slayer (1.98%)

Breakdown by class (All Difficulties)

1. Soldier 28.3%
2. Engineer 16.7%
3. Sentinel 15.8%
4. Infiltrator 14.1%
5. Adept 13.1%
6. Vanguard 12.0%

Breakdown by class (Gold & Platinum Only)

1. Soldier 31.9%
2. Infiltrator 16.0%
3. Sentinel 15.3%
4. Engineer 15.0%
5. Adept 13.8%
6. Vanguard 8.0%

Unsurprisingly the character that is immune to sync kills is extremely popular.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

UnknownMercenary posted:

A Bioware developer just posted a thread of recent gameplay stats. So far it's just a list of most played classes, so I'll just paste it here.

Unsurprisingly the character that is immune to sync kills is extremely popular.

Note to fellow goons aspiring to become good at this game: don't play Juggernaut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Whenever I run into a fellow Batarian it is like finding a unicorn.

• Locked thread