Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Sir Lucius posted:

I say instead of voting characters in the party, we vote characters off, survivor style.

Nah. I can't wait to force Roland in at every opportunity. :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

yokaiy posted:

WELL. Glad that didn't end as poorly as it sounds like it could have. I think I stabbed myself in the eye with a pencil once, but that's the only dumb-child-thing I can recall doing.

Pssh I did dumb poo poo all the time. Actually "Jump off that high place" was a favorite childhood game. Still alive! Take that, natural selection!

Anyway, once stuff starts to happen and the world opens up a bit, Thomas's chapters become the most fun. Kind of a head scratcher as to why they are optional, who the heck would want to skip them?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It seems like they pot Thomas in as an antidote to the whole WAR POLITICS POLITICS WAR WAR THE WORLD IS BURNING thing we've got so far, and he's filling that niche handsomely.

And he seems to be the one picking up all the recruits, too. Are we just going to have a few largely invariant protagonist teams and then Thomas's big pile of choose-your-own?

Shadoweh
Jan 4, 2013

yokaiy posted:

I dunno, maybe there's a True Bird Rune that gave birth to the Falcon Rune, Great Hawk Rune, and Boronda Hawk Rune? Or a True Weapon Badassery Rune, which gave birth to all the various Runes of being awesome at a certain weapon or fighting style. :shrug:
Well, most of the fighting style runes are animals, and the Beast Rune seemed like a pretty martial rune considering who used it and what its effects were when activated.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

Glazius posted:

And he seems to be the one picking up all the recruits, too. Are we just going to have a few largely invariant protagonist teams and then Thomas's big pile of choose-your-own?

Sort of. This really is only the case for Geddoe and the gang, who have a full combat unit already and only get any use from recruiting support characters. Chris and Hugo have a lot more room to fiddle with, so it makes more sense to do the majority of recruiting with them and of Thomas.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.

Anchors posted:

Sort of. This really is only the case for Geddoe and the gang, who have a full combat unit already and only get any use from recruiting support characters. Chris and Hugo have a lot more room to fiddle with, so it makes more sense to do the majority of recruiting with them and of Thomas.

I also think of it more along the lines that Geddoe can't be assed to do a proper interview.

"You want to join us? Ehhh, I can't really be bothered to do the paperwork. Why don't you just make us some sandwiches and I'll toss you a few Potch at the end of the month."

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Speaking of how the "Star roles" seem to match up throughout the game series, the Tenkai has always been the main character. And, perhaps as a stylistic choice, in all of the Suikoden games, they have been that "silent main character" that only ever have dialogue choices, no actual dialogue. But since Thomas is the Tenkai star in this one, but everyone has a lot of personality, and there's no clear "main protagonist", it was one of the biggest things that really lead to how much I loved this game. :allears: It is funny to think of Thomas as the main character, when, even if he doesn't scream Protagonist, he's written to be a lot more accessible than all of the other RPG character archetypes we have seen in the Tenkai star in all of the other games. Thomas is a person, not a series of dialogue choices, and he's not to represent the player, he's just a normal young dude thrust into a huge and overwhelming situation.

3 has such a different feel from the other ones, both thematically, and from a game play standpoint, and it is making me want to play all of it again.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Glazius posted:

It seems like they pot Thomas in as an antidote to the whole WAR POLITICS POLITICS WAR WAR THE WORLD IS BURNING thing we've got so far, and he's filling that niche handsomely.

I wouldn't say he's entirely exempt from WAR POLITICS POLITICS WAR WAR ETC, but yes.

Geddoe's party is the most rigid of the bunch, for sure. We'll see some variation in the others, though. Hugo's party is down to three now, for example. And Chris's numbers vary pretty extremely. Thomas has the most freedom of choice at this point, but I wouldn't say the others are locked into their parties. Well, Geddoe sort of is, but honestly his party is amazing so I don't even care.

UmbreonMessiah posted:

I also think of it more along the lines that Geddoe can't be assed to do a proper interview.

"You want to join us? Ehhh, I can't really be bothered to do the paperwork. Why don't you just make us some sandwiches and I'll toss you a few Potch at the end of the month."

I'm pretty sure he just picks people up and drags them along. Seeing him try to give an interview would be beautiful, though. :allears:

Aramek posted:

Speaking of how the "Star roles" seem to match up throughout the game series, the Tenkai has always been the main character. And, perhaps as a stylistic choice, in all of the Suikoden games, they have been that "silent main character" that only ever have dialogue choices, no actual dialogue. But since Thomas is the Tenkai star in this one, but everyone has a lot of personality, and there's no clear "main protagonist", it was one of the biggest things that really lead to how much I loved this game. :allears: It is funny to think of Thomas as the main character, when, even if he doesn't scream Protagonist, he's written to be a lot more accessible than all of the other RPG character archetypes we have seen in the Tenkai star in all of the other games. Thomas is a person, not a series of dialogue choices, and he's not to represent the player, he's just a normal young dude thrust into a huge and overwhelming situation.

3 has such a different feel from the other ones, both thematically, and from a game play standpoint, and it is making me want to play all of it again.

I pretty much agree. Having no real main character did wonders for this game, but I don't think it could have been pulled off in the other ones anyway. The Trinity Sight System is perfectly suited for these characters, and they and their story are perfect for the TSS.

Also, you should play it again.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Thomas Chapter 1.4 - Brainstorm

Welcome to another lovely day with Thomas.

And another lovely morning that Sebastian didn't wake us up for. Good sir, what kind of lousy butler are you? Your duties do include waking Thomas, don't think you can get off easy.

And we'll need some breakfast for him too. One of the Zexens in Vinay said he looked too skinny for his age. :colbert:

As per usual, we begin by searching the Library. This is, I believe, the only time in the game we get to see that room from this angle, by the way.

: "Huh? That library man... Is he missing again?"

He's been missing for a while now. Should we be worried? :ohdear:

Well, Eike aside, we now begin the task of tracking down Sebastian!

: "No, I'm just bored... There's nothing for me to do here."

:allears:

Thomas jumps backwards and quickly spits out a retort.

: "No thanks. Maybe another time, okay?"

: "I see."

Let's talk to someone else so we can avoid getting stabbed by a spear, yes?

Yes.

: "What's the problem?"

: "I'm kind of depressed. I haven't had any customers in weeks. You've been master of the castle for a while now. Can't you do something to help?"

: "Gee, I would if I could. Have you got any ideas? What can I do?"

: "That's your job, not mine. What's wrong with today's youth? Kids today are so lazy!"

Heh.

: "I-I'm sorry."

Aw, it's okay, Thomas.

We can ask the fortune teller if he sees any solutions to that in our future.

: "Hohohooo... Sebastian? Let me think."

: "I'd really like to find him."

: "Let me use my fortune-telling skills. Hmm..."

:420:

: "No... I can't figure it out."

Piccolo, you're sort of a terrible wizard.

: "I see..."

: "What's wrong? Something bothering you?"

: "Hohohoooo... Such initiative! I wouldn't worry about it that much."

: "If you say so, sir."

Well, that struck-out. Who else we got?

Let's see if this dork can maybe be helpful.

: "Don't you have any idea where he could be?"

No response.

: "Juan?"

Still nothing.

: "Juan!"

:v:

Well, that was productive.

Let's see if our favorite brain-damaged puppy can be more useful.

: "We had breakfast this morning, so he must have been around to fix it. Do you need him?"

: "It's nothing, really. I was just hoping he'd give me something to do."

: "A beard?"

(Capped a bit early on this one, whoops!)

I know it's in poor taste to ask, but someone please draw Thomas with a crazy beard please.

Once again, nothing on the ship aside from laundry. We'll try inside again, that guys always seems to pop up near the main staircase.

Lo and behold.

Thomas perks up at the sight.

"Why didn't I get breakfast this morning?"

: "Well, well, Thomas. How are you doing today?"

: "I have to talk to you. Where have you been? I was looking for you."

Suddenly, Sebastian looks very grim.

: "What's the matter?"

: "I'm very sorry."

:stare: That doesn't sound good.

: "I've been selling some of the valuables -- with permission of course -- but it still isn't helping."

Oh, that does not sound good.

: "So all this time, you've been working on the books?"

: "Yes, without much success. Have you got any ideas?"

: "Hmm... I guess if we don't have anything, we don't have anything."

Not helping.

: "If we don't have anything, then we can't maintain the castle. We'd run out of food, and that would be the end of it. We'll have to let Muto, Juan, and Cecile go. We can't afford them."

A look of sheer horror flickers on his face. Not the puppy. You can send Juan away, though.

: "Unless you have some other things that I can sell..."

: "Uh, wait a minute, Mr. Sebastian. Could you gather everyone in the courtyard?"

: "Uh, sure."

Probably passed out on the way over. Eike isn't here either, for whatever that's worth.

Thomas sighs. Oh well, someone will just have to fill him in later.

: "Typical."

: "Please here me out, everyone. We don't have enough money to maintain the castle. We can't afford to fix all the leaks, cracks, and rotten timbers!"

He shakes his head and sighs again.

: "Oh no! Just when I get my official title."

: "I'm very sorry about this. I've tried my best to make ends meet."

Honestly, I'm impressed he kept the place going as long as he did. It's probably safe to assume that he's been at this for three years now, with no help from the temporary lords after their old one ran off.

He pauses for a moment.

: "Before now, I lived a normal life, where I got up in the morning, ate breakfast, worked, cleaned, and slept. Then, suddenly, I became the master of this castle, and I don't have a clue about what I'm supposed to do."

: "So I'm asking you all to tell me what it is I'm supposed to do. I beg you!"

He bows.

Sebastian, now is hardly the time for that.

Everyone turns their heads Cecile-ward.

: "What is it, Cecile?"

: "Money flowed freely and good times were had by all... I think we should open up lots of stores here."

: "That's not all. We'd need permission from the Council for such a venture. They'd never agree."

Council! :argh:

: "What do you mean? I don't know very much about Zexen."

: "The Zexen Federation began as an alliance of merchant guilds. The Council, which is the highest government authority in Zexen, is made up of members chosen by the Master Guild, the most powerful merchant guild in the land... The fussy Council has to approve every single store opening, and it takes hefty bribes to convince them. How could we do that?"

: "All right. I understand."

: "Do you see a solution, too?"

Thomas turns to address the whole group.

: "We've got plenty of room. They often did this in the Northern Outlands, where I came from."

: "W-What?! We won't be able to get the approval of the Council. How could we get away with it?"

: "Well, then. Will I be able to stay here?"

: "Hohohoho... Well said. Splendid!"

: "Wait a minute, Thomas. You can't make promises like that. You don't know the Council!"

Everyone seems to have a double-take, and promptly :stare: at Martha.

: "Uh..."

: "You young folks don't know your history."

: "This was an important landing for Grassland's pastoral people, and was open to Zexens, too. That's why a Grasslander like me is allowed to do business here. Is this making sense?"

: "I-Is that true?"

: "Of course it is! You should go look around in your room, Thomas. I'm sure there's a record of it somewhere."

: "I-I've never found such documents."

Speech over, we're given control again. Let's do a quick round of conversations before heading upstairs, though. That document is as good as ours!

: "Hohohoho. This could turn out just fine!"

: "With a record of this, the Council can't come near us!"

: "Just try and find something here. It's a mess."

Muto, weren't you in charge of cleaning Thomas's room? If it's lost forever, I'm blaming you.

Just kidding, I could never blame you for anything. :3:

: "I think you should start by looking in your room."

Will do, Martha. Thanks.

: "There's a record? You don't say!"

Okay! Let's go inside.

: "Did you find it, Thomas?"

He turns to see the entire staff filtering through his door.

: "I'll help you."

Thomas nods and smiles, as we skip to a little later.

How long?

Hours, probably.

Man, a creepy book-man sure would come in handy about now.

: "Are you sure it's here?"

He promptly shuts up and continues sifting through drawers and papers.

: "Not here."

: "Do you think I'm making this up? I remember everything, including every winning lottery number."

Martha is scary.

The scene fades to another likely few hours later.

Martha nods, grinning.

: "Yes, indeed! You found it."

: "Well I'll be! It says that the land around this castle is commonly held by both Zexen and Grassland."

: "Then I see no problem opening up tons of stores here!"

: "Yay! Yeah, yeah!"

: "Hohohoho... Luck smiles upon us. How fortunate!"

: "N-Not so fast, Thomas."

Oh jeez, now what's the matter?

Or we could just change scenes. Okay, sure. :shrug:

: "In any case, if people come here to start businesses, they will need a place to stay, What nicer place than here?"

Cecile nods energetically.

: "Excellent. I'm all for it!"

: "This place looks like it was used that way before. We won't have to do much work on it."

: "And who would be in charge of the accommodations?"

: "I was hoping I could call upon you, Mr. Sebastian."

: "What?! Me?!"

: "Yes. And starting tomorrow, I'd also like for you to serve the meals here. This is where we'll all eat."

: "Dear me! The master of the castle is going to eat with everyone?"

: "I don't think anyone would mind. Besides, it's a lot more fun to eat with everyone than to eat alone."

: "If it suits you, I'll agree. Hmm. I'll be the master of the lodge, then."

: "Oh, and one more favor from everyone, please."

: "Anyone out there can lease space for a business, so let's get the word out fast!"

: "Yes!"

: "All right."

: "All right."

: "Hohohoho..."

: "I will go around as well and find people who want to start businesses here."

:allears:

From here on out, Sebastian will be manning the inn. We can also talk to him to change our party line-up, sleep, and save.

Going outside will trigger this fun scene.

: "Hohoho... Thomas, are you out making the rounds?"

: "Uh, yes. You could say that."

: "We'd really like you to bring lots of customers here."

Thomas doesn't quite have time to answer back, as a shout from Cecile is heard nearby.

: "Did you hear that? That was Cecile!"

The three of them bolt towards the gate.

Cecile, you're blocking the view with your silly feather.

: "Cecile? What's going on here?"

Ahaha, okay.

: "H-Hey, wait a minute..."

I see what's going on here.

: "They look like bad news to me!"

Heh.

It skips a sizable chunk of the scene, like most cross-over points.

: "I will!"

: "T-Thank you very much!"

He bows energetically, same as last time.

: "Well, take care."

The 12th Unit leaves.

I miss them already.

: "They weren't so bad after all."

Thomas shrugs and turns to face Cecile.

: "You shouldn't make such snap judgements."

: "Hohohoho..."

A lot of good comes from that scene. Well, all these scenes, actually. And that is because Thomas can now go out in the world and recruit! Also, all those people we recruited with Geddoe will start showing up around the castle pretty soon.

And he has so many places to choose from. This is probably the most open we've seen the map yet. I think he's missing Caleria though.

The orange block to the south-east, by the way, is Iksay. Where we'll be heading next time. This update is a bit short, but I think we'll cut it here for now.

Next time, we get more people!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Might as well get the :effort: option out of the way.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I am at a complete loss as to why anyone would enjoy this part of the game.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

GulagDolls posted:

I am at a complete loss as to why anyone would enjoy this part of the game.

I'm enjoying it because Thomas is kind of adorable, personally.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

It's one thing to read. But if you are actually playing it, the speed at which things happen makes it unbearable.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

alcharagia posted:

I'm enjoying it because Thomas is kind of adorable, personally.

The castle is full of adorable characters. Also this Chapter seems like a nice change of pace from the usual hack and slash fare.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

GulagDolls posted:

It's one thing to read. But if you are actually playing it, the speed at which things happen makes it unbearable.

The speed is agonizingly slow. If you aren't liking the characters, then this part of the game is pretty unbearable, but it is entirely optional.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's probably better to do it when the other three stories start picking up speed. That way it feels like more of a break.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

quote:

I know it's in poor taste to ask, but someone please draw Thomas with a crazy beard please.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

He looks like a prospector in an old cartoon.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

AradoBalanga posted:

These are wonderful. They are also now on the OP. :allears:

dancingbears posted:

The speed is agonizingly slow. If you aren't liking the characters, then this part of the game is pretty unbearable, but it is entirely optional.

GulagDolls posted:

I've never really had any issues with the pacing for this part, but then again, it's pretty difficult to actually annoy me. So that might just be me. :shrug: I'd call it more "relaxed" than "agonizingly slow," though.

Endorph posted:

It's probably better to do it when the other three stories start picking up speed. That way it feels like more of a break.

You could, but then Thomas would be really far behind everyone in the timeline, and the story wouldn't flow as cohesively. I like to keep him on par -- at least timing-wise -- with the others.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ah, nah, for an LP it's definitely better to do it concurrently, I more just meant if someone was playing on their own and found Thomas too agonizingly slow if they started playing them at a point where all the other stories were only just starting to pick up steam.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Slightly late to the party, but I brought crochet (not my own) and GiMP!

...I'm not too terrifically good with GiMP.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

As an aside that is somewhat related, if you need to speed up stuff for awhile, remove the frame limiter by pressing Tab. Put it back by pressing Tab again.

Really helps for longer sections.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

AradoBalanga posted:

You think that is the :effort: option then I have something to show you.

Boom, probably less than zero effort. Thomas doesn't strike me as someone that can grow a proper beard and instead he gets a short and terribly made one.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Thomas' chapters can definitely have some issues with hunting for triggers for scenes, but do keep in mind that the real meat of his chapters is recruitment, which we haven't actually gotten to do yet.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

It's a minor detail, but after you meat Geddoe with Thomas, you can go to the boat and talk to Jacques, and he runs off. Always thought it was neat, even if he doesn't really say anything interesting.

It takes Thomas' chapter awhile to get going, but this is the part where it really starts. I always try to leave as many characters as possible for him to recruit, except a certain specific support character for Geddoe.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does the castle have its own treasury and such, or will Thomas be collecting rent and paying for improvements out of his own pocketbook?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Glazius posted:

Does the castle have its own treasury and such, or will Thomas be collecting rent and paying for improvements out of his own pocketbook?

There is no money for upgrades system or anything, though things improve as more characters get recruited (and sometimes through plot)

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Raitzeno posted:

Slightly late to the party, but I brought crochet (not my own) and GiMP!

...I'm not too terrifically good with GiMP.

Testekill posted:

You think that is the :effort: option then I have something to show you.

Boom, probably less than zero effort. Thomas doesn't strike me as someone that can grow a proper beard and instead he gets a short and terribly made one.

These beards are excellent, as well as on the OP. :allears: You all are the best.

CmdrKing posted:

Thomas' chapters can definitely have some issues with hunting for triggers for scenes, but do keep in mind that the real meat of his chapters is recruitment, which we haven't actually gotten to do yet.

Honestly, I had problems with trying not to trigger scenes in this next part. :argh:

AshtonDragon posted:

It's a minor detail, but after you meat Geddoe with Thomas, you can go to the boat and talk to Jacques, and he runs off. Always thought it was neat, even if he doesn't really say anything interesting.

It takes Thomas' chapter awhile to get going, but this is the part where it really starts. I always try to leave as many characters as possible for him to recruit, except a certain specific support character for Geddoe.

Things I did not know about this game. Honestly, I have no idea why I didn't know about Jacques, it makes perfectly logical sense. I hope I still have a save state in that general time frame...

Generally I have Geddoe recruit the shop keepers and not much else, since they're characters I wouldn't be taking out anyway, and they're hells of useful to get early for Thomas.

Glazius posted:

Alas, there is no actual Castle Treasury. The game sort of works around that, though, with the castle auto-upgrading as you go, as OddObserver said. You'll be seeing a bit of that in the next part.

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
I really wish we could use money to repair the castle. I'm a sucker for base upgrades and customization.

Martha is absolutely right about the 12th Unit. You know that if send someone like Ace out to be the face man, than they must be shady characters.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Thomas Chapter 1.5 - Errands

We've got a bit of a plot-break at the moment for Thomas, here, so let's check out all the things we can do outside of Buehuc now that we can recruit!

First, we'll stop in Iksay. (I keep forgetting to post music, sorry!)

It seems like a pleasant little town at first glance. At second glance too, actually.

: "Hi, kid. Running an errand?"

It's obviously a very agricultural town, if you couldn't tell from the backgrounds. There are also cows and chickens around as well.

Ooh, a festival?

Anyway, you can see pretty much the entirety of Iksay from one angle, which for LP purposes is lovely. For emulation purposes, not so much. My laptop dislikes this place.

There are only four buildings to go into, as displayed on the mini-map and the signs, and those are: the item shop in the bottom left, the inn on the top left, the appraiser on the top right, and the blacksmith on the bottom right. If we exit this area from the north, we can check out the windmill, which we'll be doing shortly. First, let's talk to all these people.

: "We're done with most of the preparations. I'm just taking a break here."

Starting from the left over here.

The lady she's talking about is actually right behind her, in the blue off in the distance.

I guess we are! Let's go to the blacksmith.

: "A pleasure to be of service! Shall I make that knife gleam for you? I can do it in no time!"

I feel like this is supposed to be Hugo-specific speech. Either way, we need to save our potch for now.

Screw the lottery.

: "Never heard of it..."

We show him some ?Figurines we had (4 of them). Three turn out to be Failure Urns, and one turns out to be a Plant Vase! The vase is actually worth money, so this is very exciting.

We head back outside, since you can't sell appraised items in the appraisal shop for some reason.

All these fields? Wow, he must be some kind of farming genius.

: "If you ask me, the homemade liquor and snacks are the highlight of the festival!"

Sure seems like people are excited about the festival around here!

Directly behind them to the left is the item shop, so let's duck inside for a second and see what's up.

:unsmigghh:

Say hello to the only Pale Gate Rune of the game (I think). The Pale Gate Rune is fantastic. We won't be using it for a while, but you can just take my word on this one.

I wonder why that little girl wanted to be a gentleman, though?

:stare:

'Hee-hee?' It's like I'm looking at Jeane if she were a man.

We actually do have something gentlemanly to pick up while we're here though.

:getin:

Worth every potch.

: "Hmm. I can't say much for the recent stock here..."

Says the man behind Gordon.

The inn is actually quite tiny, and isn't sporting a bar like some of the bigger towns.

There are some stairs though, so we run upstairs to see what's happening there.

That should probably be "her illness."

: "I can't believe you came all this distance to help me. May the spirits bless you!"

She bows.

: "Right, Miss Mio?"

So, this dashing young man here is a recurring character from Suikoden II, wherein he was a small, rather effeminate, child.

Wow.

I wonder if we'll get to see any more children from I and II all grown up.

His companion, however, is new.

: "Please, you needn't call me doctor. I'm still in training."

He flushes a bit. Something tells me that these two are a bit more than doctor and assistant.

: "Then what would you like me to call you? Mister?"

Tuta breaks the silence, standing up and addressing the woman again.

: "Well, take care of yourself. Since we're already way out here, we're going to visit the nearby villages and treat the sick. Coming, Miss Mio?"

: "Yes, Dr. Tuta."

Oh, thought you could get away from me, did you?

Well, you can't. You've got faces, so get to my castle.

: "Yes. We're from Dunan. I'm Tuta, and this is my nurse over here, Miss Mio."

: "Pleased to meet you. I'm in training while traveling with the doctor."

: "And from now on?"

: "Both Zexen and Grassland have areas that lack modern medicine. We'd like to bring our skills to these people."

It fades out as Thomas tries to get them to come back to Budehuc.

: "Sounds like a remote place like Budehuc castle could use better medicine."

He turns to Mio.

: "But before I end up there, I'd like to stop off at other needy villages near here."

: "Why don't you go on ahead to Budehuc Castle to set things up? I'll meet you there after I've made my rounds."

: "That's fine with me, but will you be okay by yourself?"

: "I'll be fine unless I get a major surgery to perform, like we did today. Don't get me wrong, you're a valuable asset, and I'm not sloughing you off."

: "Aren't there monsters to contend with out here on the plains?"

: "Not to worry, I'm tougher than I look. I fought in the Dunan army, you know."

: "That's slightly reassuring, but keep your eyes peeled!"

: "Yes, of course."

: "Good luck and safe travels!"

:toot:

We'll have to wait until later to get Tuta, who is a pretty great support character, but for now Mio is quite useful.

The top floor of the inn is now way less interesting, but hell if I'm not going to be thorough with NPC dialogue.

: "She's been sickly since birth. In Zexen cities you can find all kinds of doctors, but none of them have been able to help her."

: "We came her from Vinay del Zexay. Three days ago, we heard there was a good doctor in this village, so we raced right over."

The sick girl is lying on a bed just off-screen, and has this to say.

: "My fever's rising again. And I was fine until we came here."

This lovely young lady has a creepy wolf head on her hand. Her name is Mel, and we'll be ignoring her for the moment. And the rest of the chapter, for that matter.

: "Well, well. Good day to you! And where have you come from? Budehuc Castle? Can't say I've heard of it."

We're like two feet away! There's not even a route between Iksay and Budehuc! Oh well.

The woman in the back there is conveniently right past the exit so I didn't manage to talk to her, if it's even possible.

Instead, there's a whole new group of people on this side.

:stonk:

You're from Falena, aren't you.

And here we have the Super Farmer himself.

: "These windmills help irrigate our fields and homes."

Says the girl behind him.

: "Just the other day, some Lizards stole my merchandise. But let's not think about the past. It's almost time for the festival."

This is actually the only bit of dialogue in this town that has a complaint towards the Lizards. Sounds like the people at Brass Castle were overreacting when they were stressing out about Iksay's proximity to the Great Hollow.

Let's check the right side of the windmill, then.

Chicken on a stick. Or, something on a stick. It's not a festival without food on a stick.

: "It'll soon be the festival! You excited, son?"

I think I am. I wanna go to a festival, it sounds like the perfect break from politics and war. :unsmith:

What.

... this guy?

Oh boy! Are you a ninja? :syoon: Oh man, can you throw ninja stars and do cool ninja magic?? You've already got the anime-hair, it shouldn't be hard for you, right? Show me!

: "You could... uh... join my party?"

I actually didn't realize this was even an option in this chapter.

: "Join you? Don't you mean you'll hire me? I'll consider it for---"

Oh, gently caress you, ninja-man.

We'll be back for him in a bit.

Our adventures next take us to the Plains Amur. We could head into Duck Village, but our destination is actually just short of that.

We have business with yonder horses.

Or, actually, with this lady who owns yonder horses.

: "What's the matter?"

: "I think the wild ones took off, but I've got to make sure that our horses didn't get away too. Oh, but how many are there? Could you help me count them? There should be 15!"

So, recruiting her is simple enough. The conversation ends, and you have to count the horses and report back to her. Interestingly, this doesn't start until after you talk to her, so the amount of horses she had before and after I talked to her was actually different.

The number is random, between 15 and 20 or so. It ended up being 16 for me this time.

: "How'd it go? I had 15 at the beginning."

: "Um, I think you have more than that!"

You can tell her she has more, less, or the same amount of horses, but I'm pretty sure it's always more.

: "Ah! How many are there now?"

She then asks for a specific number. Obviously, Thomas replies with 16, but it's important to note that if you tell her the wrong number, she won't join you and you'll have to recount them. Not really a big deal, but it's easier to just do it right the first time.

: "It's tough managing this herd out on the open range. If only I could find a place to put them!"

: "Um... What do you think about Budehuc Castle?"

: "Budehuc Castle? Where's that?"

: "Ha ha! I should have known... It's not so famous after all!"

: "Heh... After spending so much time with these animals, I've dorgotten what it's like in the rest of the world."

: "Budehuc Castle is..."

: "That sounds great! All right, let's go! Thanks for everything!"

She runs off after yelling at horses like a madwoman. Hilariously, none of the horses move.

While we're in the area, we can check out the remains of Karaya Village!

And, done!

Karaya will remain this way for the rest of the game, so there's no real point in going back ever. :smith:

Running back through Brass Castle, we can see some new dialogue if we talk to the 6 Knights.

Percival being surrounded by a gaggle of ladies is probably my favorite of the bunch.

: "Do you think Sir Percival would take this lunchbox I'm making him? He needs a good meal to stay strong in battle!"

: "Next time, I want to see Sir Percival ride his horse!"

: "My only wish is for Sir Percival to come back safely!"

: "Well, now what do I do? I'd like to go back to the castle soon, but..."

Chris is absent during this visit, though, even if you check her room.

A few other NPCs have new dialogue as well, but nothing interesting, with one exception.

Remember that couple that was a Zexen woman and Karayan man?

: "I can't believe the Grasslanders have been banished... Now I can only pray for my boyfriend's safety."

:smith:

We next find ourselves in Vinay del Zexay, for one very specific -- and fabulous -- purpose.

This man right here.

: "The world is beautiful. ......."

: "Uh, yes. Yes... Um, do you like the sea?"

Thomas seems to be very uncomfortable here.

: "It was fate that brought us together here. I feel it. And because of that, I'll show you my gorgeous rose brooch."

He reaches into his stomach shirt or something, pulling out something to show us.

.... or, to not show us.

Stop whining, you big baby, we got you a new one. :rolleyes:

He looks up with the same intensity in his eyes as a bunch of starving dogs staring down a t-bone steak, before briskly turning back to face Thomas, as we go back into cutscene-land.

To say nothing about how this game can't decide if it's "broach" or "brooch," I am pretty sure that is just a rose.

: "How can I ever repay-- Oh, come to think of it, did you call on me because you had some business with me?"

:
>"No, you kind of stood out, so..."
>"... Um, I'm actually trying to put a group together, and I'm looking for members..."

: "Ah-haa! Uh-huhhh! I see! Well, there's not much I can do to prevent people from wanting me near them. I'm like a magnet."

He starts walking away dramatically, stopping a few steps away and keeping his back turned.

: "No matter how I try to hide it, my precious aura shines through like a glowing rainbow..."

: "Huh?"

: "The way I stand, the way I walk, perfection from head to to, with not a single wasted move..."

He does some motion-blurred fencing to send the point home.

: "And you recognized it. I admire your taste."

: "Uh, well... Um..."

Thomas continues to be a deer in headlights.

Augustine shakes his head, still grinning.

: "I'll never be able to match your refined tastes, so you have one up on me... Plus, I owe you for finding my rose broach, so I would be happy to join your group."

: "Oh, uh, thank you very much!"

Augustine turns, starts walking away, stops, and walks back.

: "Oh! I nearly forgot to introduce myself. I'm Augustine Nabor."

: "By the way, where is your entourage? I'm dying to meet them."

: "They're at Budehuc Castle."

: "Oh, yes, I've heard of Budehuc. Well, see you later. I look forward to meeting your people at the castle."

He promptly runs off.

:woop:

Now that we have Augustine, we can get another creep as well if we have only he and Thomas in the party, so we run back to Iksay.

(Alternatively, we could have a group of entirely men, but just Augustine is easier.)

: "Most excellent! The finest of gentlemen! I hope you'll add me to your elite group."

:
>"Absolutely!"
>"Sorry, but..."

: "Lucky stars! What should be the first order of business for me? Budehuc Castle. Right. I'll leave at once. Pardon me."

He leaves out the back door, but stops just short.

:stonk:

We've got one more thing to pick up in Iksay, and Thomas here is about as excited as I am.

gently caress the lottery.

However, it's necessary, as Thomas is limited to only one (super awful) treasure boss at the moment, and he still refuses to fight the crab.

So we grab some tickets and find something to faff about with for however long it took for the lotto to turn over.

Our first faff begins in the Yaza Plains, as we find a guy in sweat pants. (????)

: "Uh, exercise?"

: "That's right! How about letting me help you work out?"

:
>"No way."
>"All right."

: "Hey! You've got potential! All right. Here we go! Stretch your arms wide!"

Luckily, we don't have to watch the whole thing.

Because it fades to Thomas being about to fall over.

: "This isn't exercise..."

: "What?! This isn't enough exercise for you? Hahahaha. All right, then!"

:
>"Hear me out for a second."
>"W-water..."

: "Water? There's no water here! You can have some if you go to Budehuc Castle."

: "Th-That's it... Join my group. ... Budehuc Castle is our castle, so..."

: "You're pooped already! I've got just the thing to get you in tip-top shape when we get to Budehuc Castle! We can start by running there. Get your feet moving! Don't fall behind!"

Kenji runs off, and Thomas literally falls over and blacks out.

We also take the time to kill the lovely treasure boss I mentioned. It's called the Magician, and lives in the mines by Vinay. It goes down in about three turns, and is hardly worth mentioning. Luckily, a better one will take it's place as we go on. For our troubles, we get some crappy armor, a Sunbeam Rune, some medicines, and some chump change.

Back to Iksay!

And a number of resets later, we are rich. That means it's time for a ninja.

:
>"I'll pay it."
>"Why so much?"

We fork over the money. :sigh: I could have sharpened so many weapons with that...

: "Good. What have I... 'joined'?"

:haw:

: "............ ............ Fine."

Ninja! :swoon:

There's one more thing we can do now that we've got Watari.

First, we have to find him in our castle. He likes to hang out by the dungeons.

: "You want something?"

: "I don't want anything. I'm just curious. Why do you always have such a nasty look on your face?"

Watari hesitates for a beat, trying to figure out if this is an actual question.

: "I was born looking like this."

: "That's cool. But now that we're friends, maybe you could try smiling once in a while. Okay?"

Aw, Thomas just wants a ninja friend.

: "............"

Thomas wanders off, and Watari has a flashback.

Boy oh boy! Another ninja?

: "I don't tell jokes."

: "So you just don't want your master to change?"

It's always 12 dots.

: "Or maybe you are loyal to the Blight family after all... What a fool! You're no knight. Our kind has no use for loyalty. Do you hate Dunan? So what if the names of your employers change?"

The Blight family were the villains of Suikoden II.

: "A promise was made... That is what matters."

It is never said who the promise was made to, aside from that it was a woman, but his connection to the Blight family hints at the person in question being Jillia Blight, the sister of Luca Blight, who was the main villain of Suikoden II.

: "No one remembers that promise now."

: "The Dark Wind has many with far greater skills than yours. They'll never let you leave alive."

The Dark Wind is a group of ninja assassins, also called Kage sometimes.

: "I understand."

: "Nor will I."

Ayame starts to leave, stopping for a few brief words.

: "As you wish."

: "Sorry."

The scene ends, but this little side-plot doesn't end there! If you couldn't tell from the backgrounds, Ayame and Watari had their last conversation in the North Cavern. So, we must therefore bring Watari there.

Upon reaching the end, where a treasure boss would usually be, Ayame will be waiting for us.

: "Ever since that day..."

And we are given a super sweet ninja duel!

It doesn't take too long. Ayame is pretty strong, but she's pretty easy to read from her dialogue, so it's very hard to lose.

: "It was the only way to get by."

: "So it is."

: "I came to kill you. You were so taken by that woman's words... I'll put you out of your misery. Your life has as much meaning now as old snake skin. You deserve to be destroyed, by my hand."

: "...."

Only four this time!?

Watari turns to leave.

: "Do you think you would spare me from a meaningless life by leaving me here like this?"

: "If you're set on killing me, then your life does have meaning."

: "But I will kill you. Get it through your thick skull."

: "If it happens, it happens."

Two ninjas!!

And with that, we'll call it an update. Next time, we'll see how our castle is improving, and maybe get some more plot!

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 6, 2013

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Ah this is back. Interesting, are the ninjas going to have another fight later on?

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

grandalt posted:

Ah this is back. Interesting, are the ninjas going to have another fight later on?

Yep, sorry about that delay there. It was mostly due to me wrestling with how to handle this update in comparison to the next one and how to balance plot and recruitment, but I was also sorta busy.

Sadly, no. The ninjas will be cooperating throughout the rest of the game, though it's noted that the alliance is only until they are no longer in the employ of Thomas.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Will you show off recruiting Mel as not-Chris, just for completion's sake?

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
This was my favorite part of Thomas' chapters (or any Suikoden for that matter): mindlessly recruiting a bunch of silly characters.

Should have recruited Koroku with Thomas though :(

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Any particular reason we're skipping recruiting puppet-girl?

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008

Speedball posted:

Someone mentioned that there's a really funny scene if you recruit her with Chris. That's about it.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I think you've reached the emoticon limit in this update, since I doubt they've become extinct in the time it took the update to finish :v: It's either 20 or 30 icons per post, I think.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

dancingbears posted:

Will you show off recruiting Mel as not-Chris, just for completion's sake?

Wasn't really planning to, but it wouldn't be much of a hassle, so sure. I can swing that. For the sake of maximum what-the-hell-ness, it'd be after we get her with Chris, though.

Speedball posted:

Apparently it's funnier later. I decided to pick up the ninjas with Thomas to balance not getting Mel with him, since she's a pretty great asset for his chapters. The ninjas should be just as good, though. And there are two of them! :haw:

Szurumbur posted:

I think you've reached the emoticon limit in this update, since I doubt they've become extinct in the time it took the update to finish :v: It's either 20 or 30 icons per post, I think.

Again? Drat.

Okay, fixed it! Thanks for the heads-up. For some reason it didn't feel like I used as much as I really did. :v:

I am the best at this LP thing, guys.

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 6, 2013

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

FYI, while that's the only guaranteed Pale Gate Rune in the game, there's also a corpse much later on that may randomly (and rarely) have one as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
If I remember correctly you end up with an interestingly high level skill if you give Augustine all rose brooches. Not cut scene worthy but it was interesting for me at least.

• Locked thread