Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Uh, didn't you guys listen? Eren specifically said "I won't die even if I'm killed!" He's fine, gotta be. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Terper posted:

Uh, didn't you guys listen? Eren specifically said "I won't die even if I'm killed!" He's fine, gotta be. :colbert:

I've always wondered; Is that some sort of idiom in Japan to mean sheer determination that gets directly translated?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

So can we assume Eren comes back as a cyborg?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Azzents posted:

I've always wondered; Is that some sort of idiom in Japan to mean sheer determination that gets directly translated?
Here's a rough explanation:
"korosu" and "shinu" are different words. If I recall, it's more like "if someone tries to kill me, I won't die", only with the "try" being more of a "do", so that isn't totally accurate. So for example, if someone is grievously wounded and on the verge of death, but survives, then they didn't die, but the act of "killing" did take place, though it wasn't successful. It's the result of a subtle loss of meaning in translation, rather than an idiom or ironic statement.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Azzents posted:

It's basically just a phrase that means "no matter what," sort of like when someone says in English "I'll do it even if it kills me." Direct translation makes it sound very awkward, though.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Wow. Was on the fence about this show until episode five. Really kicked things off.

I have to ask, between episodes 1 and 2 they just stop mentioning Erens dad. What the hell happened there? It was like an offscreen death or something.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Affi posted:

Wow. Was on the fence about this show until episode five. Really kicked things off.

I have to ask, between episodes 1 and 2 they just stop mentioning Erens dad. What the hell happened there? It was like an offscreen death or something.

I'm pretty sure in episode 2 there's a weird dream-sequence/flashback that Eren has of his Dad, that happens after the fall of wall Maria at an unspecified time during those five years. In any case it's safe to assume he was well out of harm's way while Maria was falling since he left earlier in the day for the capital.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
I love how this episode had all the hallmarks of your typical shonen anime - quickly establishing that the main character is able to face the colossal titan and fight it to a draw (teaching him and the audience that he needs to train harder to win the rematch).

Then the flashback to the classroom scene to explain the titans' weaknesses, again establishing that Eren's tactic of going for the back of the neck was not only achievable, but the way the whole squad has been training to fight for the past 5 years.

Then the battle begins and the squad arrives just in time to save the ... :stare:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Feranon posted:

Which one was Sasha again? The wiseass potato chick? Because I could definitely live with that.

Meet the Sasha.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 6, 2013

Tualek
May 28, 2006
Small Body
I really like this series. Big ups!

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

This is perhaps the oddest of the Attack on ____ Opening Parodies that I have seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UESD9fV5O8

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
It's the new horse head mask.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 6, 2013

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Terper posted:

Pretty sure that was a liberal translation, not what he actually said. It wasn't what I heard him say. (But can't check while at work.)

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
Great episode. I also think that Eren is most likely not gone for good, given the way it was portrayed. I expect he'll either grow his limbs back thanks to mad science, or survive as a cripple. It's possible that he could get digested and somehow turn into a Titan though which would be a particularly ironic fate for him. I'm guessing that's how they reproduce since it would also explain the gender imbalance - most victims are soldiers and most soldiers are male (although I didn't actually go back and count if that's true in the training scene).

We also get further confirmation that something (techno-)magical is going on with the titans and that they were probably created as a weapon or something. Hard to explain why the big ones teleport in to attack so infrequently though. I will face-palm if the story turns out to be "the titans were created to control to the populace" since that's such an obviously backfire-prone idea that even a corrupt and venal nobility would be unlikely to be dumb enough to do it.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 6, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ShardPhoenix posted:

I'm guessing that's how they reproduce since it would also explain the gender imbalance - most victims are soldiers and most soldiers are male (although I didn't actually go back and count if that's true in the training scene).

I'm not certain about the general population of the soldiers, but at least within Eren's trainee cohort, the top 10 recruits comprise 6 men (Reiner, Bertholdt, Eren, Jean, Marco and Conny) and 4 women (Mikasa, Annie, The Best Girl, and Christa). If they are at all representative, the military forces are pretty gender-balanced.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

JosephWongKS posted:

I'm not certain about the general population of the soldiers, but at least within Eren's trainee cohort, the top 10 recruits comprise 6 men (Reiner, Bertholdt, Eren, Jean, Marco and Conny) and 4 women (Mikasa, Annie, The Best Girl, and Christa). If they are at all representative, the military forces are pretty gender-balanced.

Most if not all of the generic wall guards and senior officers are men, if I'm not misremembering. Maybe crisis and depopulation forced them to become more egalitarian? :eng101:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I've never read the manga and I don't know a thing about it besides it's known for being very weird, but I think you're all expecting far too much from a popular shounen manga to kill off the protagonist. Yes, there's been unexpected plot progression in previous episodes, but I've seen this "he's dead... or is he?" setup too many times (in all entertainment media, not just anime/manga.) That's why my natural conclusion is to expect a twist with Eren knowing a secret about how to survive Titan chomping, a sudden superhuman half-Titan reveal, etc. It just doesn't seem believable that he's dead for good. I kind of hope I'm wrong for dramatic creativity and giving a finger to every other hero trope under the sun, but I can almost guarantee I'm not.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 6, 2013

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Killer Queen posted:

I've never read the manga and I don't know a thing about it besides it's known for being very weird, but I think you're all expecting far too much from a popular shounen manga to kill off the protagonist. Yes, there's been unexpected plot progression in previous episodes, but I've seen this "he's dead... or is he?" setup too many times (in all entertainment media, not just anime/manga.) That's why my natural conclusion is to expect a twist with Eren knowing a secret about how to survive Titan chomping, a sudden superhuman half-Titan reveal, etc. It just doesn't seem believable that he's dead for good. I kind of hope I'm wrong for dramatic creativity and giving a finger to every other hero trope under the sun, but I can almost guarantee I'm not.
I haven't read the manga either.
I suspect that since he didn't get chewed, he's still alive in the Titan's stomach and will be rescued (by his sister perhaps). I don't think he'll escape by himself. His dad will probably patch him up somehow. I just hope he doesn't turn into Shinji emotionally.
I very much doubt that he's dead. At best we can hope he becomes a background character who is incapable of fighting. That would be good.

Edit: removed a dumb thing

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 6, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Holy crap you people. Mikasa is not a Mary Sue.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Captain Invictus posted:

Holy crap you people. Mikasa is not a Mary Sue.

She is good at a particular thing and for that she must die!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Eruonen posted:

I also hope we get to see Mikasa gently caress up royally or die suddenly. She's the Mary Sue right now so that would be glorious.

I don't know why everyone keeps Mikasa is some perfect badass character. She's heavily and irreparably flawed from her implied childhood PTSD and her almost freakish, undying loyalty to Eren, among other major problems she has. So yeah, I guess she's "perfect" if you ignore her fatalistic personality flaws that define her as a character.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Is it me or did the Crunchyroll version of the episode have tighter framing when Eren got his arm chomped off, specifically Armin's reaction?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Regarding Mikasa as Mary Sue: Fair enough, I was wrong.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Superstring posted:

She is good at a particular thing and for that she must die!
I think it has more to do with how Mikasa has been portrayed in the anime so far. In the first episode she chases away several bullies just by her presence. In the fourth the drill instructor, who goes out of his way to note any flaws in his recruits, says absolutely nothing negative about Mikasa and specifically states that she "is truly a genius of historically-unprecedented significance" (gg subs). We've seen plenty of Armin and Eren breaking down and panicking but Mikasa has been remarkably stoic throughout the entire affair, especially after seeing her stepmom get literally Shaft'd. She's also the only woman that the show goes out of its way to show as physically attractive (third episode).

The only two bad things about Mikasa we've seen in the show so far is implied childhood PTSD (which again, doesn't seem very present considering her attitude throughout the show so far) and her obsession with protecting Eren, which to me comes across as more of a sort of motherly instinct: she's very much an emotional foil to the hot-blooded Eren, and I get the feeling that she feels required to look after Eren to make sure he doesn't hurt himself, especially since after the first Titan attack where Eren has nobody else to look out for him.

Now I haven't read the manga but I'm pretty certain that Mikasa isn't a Mary Sue, especially considering how top notch the rest of the writing is. I think Mikasa being considered a Mary Sue at this point is a consequence of the anime taking a different progression than the manga. Episode 6 looks to be focused on a flashback to Mikasa's childhood life, so I'm certain we'll learn a lot more about her then.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 6, 2013

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
The anime material so far shows Mikasa is flawed. We know Mikasa is dependent on Eren to the point it's problematic. That's also an implicit arrogance in her 'I will always protect you'- she believes she can defeat anything and will always be able to save him, presumably exactly because she's so talented. Rightly or wrongly, she doesn't trust him to survive on his own and she is choking him with her protectiveness. It's all very 'you can't survive without me, so don't even try to do so'. The fact she joined the military just because he did and plans to join whatever squad he joins is a sign of just how unhealthy their relationship is for her at this point- she doesn't really have any aspirations of her own and no ambition except to protect Eren. Eren hates the fact he can never exceed her strength and hates the way she wants to protect him, since he wants to stand on his own two feet. So he treats her pretty badly and bosses her around- having her cut her hair and so on. She puts up with that. And her desire to protect him exceeds her interest in the military ethos and her desire to follow orders. I would not be surprised if she disobeys orders to save him at some point and gets lots of people killed in the process.

I haven't read the manga but yeah, it's already pretty clear Mikasa and Eren have a pretty screwed up relationship and she is a pretty flawed person. Her talent as a soldier doesn't change that. Incidentally, this is also why I'm pretty sure why Eren will survive- Mikasa without Eren might either break totally or become a stoic, emotionally distant killing machine. Niether option makes for a compelling protagonist.

Lestaki fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 6, 2013

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Lestaki posted:

The anime material so far shows Mikasa is flawed. We know Mikasa is dependent on Eren to the point it's problematic. That's also an implicit arrogance in her 'I will always protect you'- she believes she can defeat anything and will always be able to save him, presumably exactly because she's so talented. Rightly or wrongly, she doesn't trust him to survive on his own and she is choking him with her protectiveness. It's all very 'you can't survive without me, so don't even try to do so'. The fact she joined the military just because he did and plans to join whatever squad he joins is a sign of just how unhealthy their relationship is for her at this point- she doesn't really have any aspirations of her own and no ambition except to protect Eren. Eren hates the fact he can never exceed her strength and hates the way she wants to protect him, since he wants to stand on his own two feet. So he treats her pretty badly and bosses her around- having her cut her hair and so on. She puts up with that. And her desire to protect him exceeds her interest in the military ethos and her desire to follow orders. I would not be surprised if she disobeys orders to save him at some point and gets lots of people killed in the process.

I haven't read the manga but yeah, it's already pretty clear Mikasa and Eren have a pretty screwed up relationship and she is a pretty flawed person. Her talent as a soldier doesn't change that. Incidentally, this is also why I'm pretty sure why Eren will survive- Mikasa without Eren might either break totally or become a stoic, emotionally distant killing machine. Niether option makes for a compelling protagonist.

You know, those are actually really good points. :) I can feel a certain empathy with Eren in that department, how Eren feels like he's bossed around and cloistered in a sense by Mikasa's behavior and simple fact that she's just better than him in every department. He must feel terrible and inferior. I interpreted Mikasa's actions toward Eren as a sort of motherly, protective thing, but it completely makes sense in the way you're describing it.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

ShardPhoenix posted:

We also get further confirmation that something (techno-)magical is going on with the titans and that they were probably created as a weapon or something. Hard to explain why the big ones teleport in to attack so infrequently though. I will face-palm if the story turns out to be "the titans were created to control to the populace" since that's such an obviously backfire-prone idea that even a corrupt and venal nobility would be unlikely to be dumb enough to do it.

Non-manga reader speculation:

Why not? Either these are all subtle red herrings, or it turns out that way. Consider the evidence:

- Eren's dad works on top secret project for the center ring oh BTW leaves before the attack oh BTW there's a secret basement with the TRUTH don't open it until later, 'kay.
- The colossal giant exhibits tactical intelligence, only lasts for a short period of time probably due to energy requirements. Plausible that its appearance and actions are human-controllable.
- Story and plot backstory of strained natural resources, unbalanced social heirarchy, loss of historical information by lower classes.
- Best soldiers brought inward, high correlation with any plan to intentionally destroy outer walls: note the freakout by sir Lord McFat, which means having the best soldiers on the inner circle IS the backup plan, if they lose control at initiating and stopping the attacks.
- General populace too stupid to prepare a big pile of rocks over the gate as an emergency procedure, too stupid to design the city with more systematically placed sturdy towers to allow the soldiers to fly higher and more effectively.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
While it could easily be a red herring, the fact that Titans are humanoids with somewhat human faces implies they were, at least in some part, created by humans. I hope their origin is never fully explained and just subtly imply it over many episodes/manga chapters and assume fans will eventually piece it together. I never like it when eternal mysteries in fiction are plainly spelled out, such as zombie outbreak origins.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Both Eren and Mikasa have some serious character weaknesses. And I get the feeling those weaknesses are setup perfectly to maximize their mutual misery.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

- Best soldiers brought inward, high correlation with any plan to intentionally destroy outer walls: note the freakout by sir Lord McFat, which means having the best soldiers on the inner circle IS the backup plan, if they lose control at initiating and stopping the attacks.

The best soldiers are brought inwards because the social structure is pretty terrible and people like Lord McFat want the best soldiers to act as babysitters to them, trainees try to be the best because it allows them the opportunity to live a safe life in the inner walls where they hope to never actually see a titan(again, in some cases), ironically this means that the areas most at risk can and do end up without those most able to defend them.

Lestaki posted:

it's already pretty clear Mikasa and Eren have a pretty screwed up relationship and she is a pretty flawed person

Both she and Eren are tremendously flawed characters, those massive flaws get people(sometimes themselves) hurt, and people getting hurt because of people's flaws and mistakes is a recurring theme. Whether it's Armin's freezing-up which required Eren's sacrifice, or the combination of Eren's lack of strength when the first attack happens and Hannes' being terrified meaning that Eren's mother was guaranteed to die or even Eren's "shonen spirit" getting all but one of his squad turned into food/paste; this is a series that makes people and those around them pay for their flaws and errors gravely.

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

Non-manga reader speculation:

Why not? Either these are all subtle red herrings, or it turns out that way. Consider the evidence:

- Eren's dad works on top secret project for the center ring oh BTW leaves before the attack oh BTW there's a secret basement with the TRUTH don't open it until later, 'kay.
- The colossal giant exhibits tactical intelligence, only lasts for a short period of time probably due to energy requirements. Plausible that its appearance and actions are human-controllable.
- Story and plot backstory of strained natural resources, unbalanced social heirarchy, loss of historical information by lower classes.
- General populace too stupid to prepare a big pile of rocks over the gate as an emergency procedure, too stupid to design the city with more systematically placed sturdy towers to allow the soldiers to fly higher and more effectively.

I just can't help but feel like the nobility intentionally taking out what are essentially their own meatshields against the titans is counterproductive. Not to mention the gigantic loss of land and resources from knocking down the walls. Unless there's a "kill all the titans now" button in the king's castle, overrunning their own land with giants sounds goofy. If the technology exists to create giant artifical immortal cannibal mind controlled clones and teleport them wherever, shouldn't it, I dunno, be somewhat easier to grow some food for everyone?

Eren's dad never really implied that ALL THE ANSWERS were in the basement, either. Clearly something is down there, and clearly he knows something, but his dad randomly and nonchalantly decided that he was going to show Eren what was down there after he got back from his trip. Which tells me he trusted his (prone to angry yelling-about-titans outbursts) son with the info.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The most flawless character is obviously Sasha. Any flaws you can point out will only serve to make her greater.

Sasha will be the new main character.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Stealing food, stealing kills, stealing hearts.

She seems to make using 3D Gear look twice as cool.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Stealing food, stealing kills, stealing hearts.

She seems to make using 3D Gear look twice as cool.

Her 3D Gear use kind of reminds me of Mugen from Samurai Champloo. Complete disregard for technique, but still surprisingly effective. I really hope she makes it. :ohdear:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Torix posted:

I just can't help but feel like the nobility intentionally taking out what are essentially their own meatshields against the titans is counterproductive. Not to mention the gigantic loss of land and resources from knocking down the walls.

It's certainly counterproductive as a long term plan, but when you consider that this has been the status quo for almost a hundred years, their attitude should make some more sense. These lords aren't thinking strategically. They don't know the first thing about titans other than that they apparently eat commoners. Who cares, would be nice to get some elite guards as a status symbol, though.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

tiistai posted:

It's certainly counterproductive as a long term plan, but when you consider that this has been the status quo for almost a hundred years, their attitude should make some more sense. These lords aren't thinking strategically. They don't know the first thing about titans other than that they apparently eat commoners. Who cares, would be nice to get some elite guards as a status symbol, though.
Watch the interior higher ups turn out to have Longevity technology like in BAA: Last Order

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waffleman_ posted:

Sasha will be the new main character.

She's already the main character... in my heart. :allears:

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I thought i had assumed that Armin would die around the halfway point in episode 5 but holy poo poo was i wrong.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I was a bit skeptical at first, and waiting for things to pick up after the world building and introduction of the characters, but holy poo poo did it fulfill its promise and the recommendations of the people on this forum. I literally had my mouth agape during the last 5 minutes of the last episode.

poo poo's getting real, and I can't wait to see how it's all going to pan out. Totally hooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PunkBoy posted:

Her 3D Gear use kind of reminds me of Mugen from Samurai Champloo. Complete disregard for technique, but still surprisingly effective. I really hope she makes it. :ohdear:

Same appetite. I think you're on to something.

• Locked thread