Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunnybean
Mar 31, 2010

Trauma Tank posted:

He's a boxer mix, so high-energy is expected, and everything about his adoption advert basically screams 'I will play with you until you fall apart and then play fetch with the scattered pieces of your soul'. I can also only assume he was mixed with an elephant since his shoulders were not far below my waist(I'm 6ft2in).

The problem is that I work all day, and while I could probably come home at lunch time each day, the actual house is fairly small. I don't have an exact square footage, but it's small enough that I'm thinking with a dog that size I just wouldn't have enough space for him, despite having a fairly kickass enclosed rear garden. I'm also really into the idea of dog training and wanting to work with the dog to Do Cool Things, but I think he'd just be too big for my situation even if I felt I could handle his energy requirements, which I am now not sure about after seeing his size.

Yeah, even negating the apartment size, you don't have the time for a dog with that kind of energy. Guarantee you he'd end up making GBS threads up the house because he'd be bored senseless. Boxers can be great, but they require a lot of time, space and patience.

I sound really Pet Islandy, so insert something about chickens/baking birds here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Walking cute little puppies down college campuses is One Weird Trick

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
So's your mom.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I'm not following.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tbp posted:

I'm not following.

I should hope not. :gonk:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

prefect posted:

I should hope not. :gonk:

Sure.

bunnybean
Mar 31, 2010

This is getting way too ironic for me. Somebody tong a cat.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

tbp posted:

I'm not following.

He didn't even give you his twitter :confused:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Trauma Tank posted:

He's a boxer mix, so high-energy is expected, and everything about his adoption advert basically screams 'I will play with you until you fall apart and then play fetch with the scattered pieces of your soul'. I can also only assume he was mixed with an elephant since his shoulders were not far below my waist(I'm 6ft2in).

The problem is that I work all day, and while I could probably come home at lunch time each day, the actual house is fairly small. I don't have an exact square footage, but it's small enough that I'm thinking with a dog that size I just wouldn't have enough space for him, despite having a fairly kickass enclosed rear garden. I'm also really into the idea of dog training and wanting to work with the dog to Do Cool Things, but I think he'd just be too big for my situation even if I felt I could handle his energy requirements, which I am now not sure about after seeing his size.

I'm with bunnybean here. A dog like that doesn't sound like a good plan for you. There are a lot of smaller, maybe older dogs out there who also need someone to hang out with and do dog trick things.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I love dogs, OP.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

This is a pic of my dog.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I'm glad your dog is of decent size and is not pointlessly small.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I'm with bunnybean here. A dog like that doesn't sound like a good plan for you. There are a lot of smaller, maybe older dogs out there who also need someone to hang out with and do dog trick things.

Yeah, I'm fully aware of that, and it's unlikely that dog'll be up for adoption by the time I move into the new place. I was looking for something smaller anyway, he just caught my eye with his awesome pictures and descriptions of how much he loves to learn stuff. I just like keeping an eye on what dogs are in my local shelters now that I'm actually at risk of being able to have one. :3:

tbp posted:

I love dogs, OP.
Me too man, me too.

Penguingo posted:

My family had a Pomeranian when I was in High School and it was adorable as it was basically a walking puffball made of joy. I guess my point here is something something something size something.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Bow wow wow yippee yo yippee yay

bunnybean
Mar 31, 2010

Penguingo posted:

Small dogs! :woop:

Trauma Tank posted:

I was looking for something smaller anyway, he just caught my eye with his awesome pictures and descriptions of how much he loves to learn stuff.

Get the small dogs! :woop::woop:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

My dog is terrified of hard wood floors cuz he tore his ACL after getting real excited to see my dad once while standing on one, so we now have roads of carpet through the house so he can get around.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Small dogs are usually cool. Large dogs are always cool.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Penguingo posted:

Small dogs are usually cool. Large dogs are always cool.

I don't understand how this works with medium size dogs, can you make a graph?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Trauma Tank posted:

I don't understand how this works with medium size dogs, can you make a graph?

Usually --> mostly --> always

bunnybean
Mar 31, 2010

My dog does a front handstand when she pees because she's top heavy. Any dog that does a handstand while it pees = best dog.

Might be biased, whatev. Obsessed with dat dog.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

bunnybean posted:

My dog does a front handstand when she pees because she's top heavy. Any dog that does a handstand while it pees = best dog.

Might be biased, whatev. Obsessed with dat dog.

Your mom is awfully talented haha

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

tbp posted:

I don't follow.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

NienNunb posted:

I don't follow.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Shine posted:

Bow wow wow yippee yo yippee yay

Today I saw a bumper sticker that said

code:
I Lift Detroit 
   In Prayer
but there was duct tape over "In Prayer" and I'm pretty sure that was my first irl Shine sighting.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

This brings up an excellent question, how many Detroits can a Shine lift?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Small dogs you say?!

They're great!

Seriously small dogs are pretty cool.

:c00lbert:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

NienNunb posted:

I don't follow.

I was saying his mom is a dog! Haha

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Dogs are annoying and I would trade ours for a tiny goat if I could.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

bunnielab posted:

Dogs are annoying and I would trade ours for a tiny goat if I could.

I used to think the same thing but now I've seen a bunch of youtube videos about goats and now I'm fairly certain that they'll just scream at you.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

My cat likes to sleep in the windowsill all day. Sometimes I'll try to get her attention, but the most I'll ever get is a passing glance before she falls back asleep.

She also likes to lick the window and massage my backpack.

My cat is p. chill.

bunnybean
Mar 31, 2010

tbp posted:

You know drat well that was my dad and he has a condition you bitch

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I spent yesterday morning between 5 and 7 am drinking Seagrams 7 and Fresca and chain-smoking in a patio chair as the sun came up with a small and adorable bulldog maybe? sitting on my lap. It had the bulldog look. Was pretty small. Had a permanent sticking out tongue.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
On closer reflection, I believe it was a boston terrier.

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009

Why do such a large number of dogs do this when they're perplexed? It certainly isn't learned behavior and I fail to understand how it serves any evolutionary advantage. Did this come about due to selective breeding?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Illegibly Eligible posted:

Why do such a large number of dogs do this when they're perplexed? It certainly isn't learned behavior and I fail to understand how it serves any evolutionary advantage. Did this come about due to selective breeding?

It's adorable, which is a definite evolutionary advantage. :3:

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I am pretty sure that they do it to angle their ears at you so they can hear better.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

It's all vertebrates, actually. It's one of those weird parochial things that come from bottlenecks in the whole evolutionary process, like the fact that every creature has its nose above its mouth, or that life on earth uses L-chirality amino acids.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's doggie birthday time!

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Francostein posted:

It's doggie birthday time!

My favourite part of the PI Random Nonsense thread is the giant picture-chain dog birthdays of people torturing their dogs with dog cakes, and dressing them up.

Basically what I'm saying is your dog needs a doggie birthday cake and a fruity shirt to match that pimpin' hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
What is your favourite word to pronounce? Mine is either skedaddle or Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

Edit: Misspelled the latter word.

toanoradian has a new favorite as of 16:02 on May 9, 2013

• Locked thread