Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Rexides posted:

Even their single weak spot exists just so humanity has some hope of defeating them, only to keep them struggling against the inevitable.

The BIGGEST assholes.

spoilers that don't belong here

Waffleman_ posted:

THEY ARE THE THIRST AND WE ARE THE QUENCHERS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UvyITR9MGs

This is great, the Nichijou one still beats it though.

Srice posted:

In fact that's another reason I think that's a sure sign of Eren not being dead; he has gotten the majority of the character development thus far. It wouldn't make narrative sense to spend about a fifth of the series developing him just to randomly kill him off in that way.

A lot of the time they've spent building him up with the training stuff has been shown out of sequence, in the manga it goes from the scene where Eren and Mikasa are being evacuated during the attack on Shiganshina straight to the top 10 trainees being announced, the training is shown as a flashback later on.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Man wait until you find out it was a dream all along, and Eren is actually a mentally disturbed kid in a hospital who dreams that the doctors and other adults around him are man-eating titans
Eren's autism makes him lapse into his own world and the three-walled city is actually inside a snowglobe.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrilliantFool posted:

Reading this thread is really great- somehow I haven't seen anyone randomly posting huge manga spoilers, which I thought for sure would happen with this kind of series. Of course, now that I've said it, someone's going to do exactly that, aren't they? :(

The Colossal Titan is actually the true protagonist of the story. This is hinted at in the OP lyrics, which is actually written from his perspective, just like how (Madoka Magica spoilers) the Madoka OP is actually written from the perspective of Homura.

quote:

Sie sind das Essen und wir sind die Jäger!
They are the prey and we are the hunters!

The "prey" are the humans, who get eaten all the time by the Titan "hunters".

quote:

Fumareta hana no namae mo shirazu ni
Without knowing the name of the trampled flower

Chi ni ochita tori wa kaze o machiwabiru
The fallen bird awaits the wind

Inotta tokoro de nani mo kawaranai
Prayer won't change anything

Ima o kaeru no wa tatakau kakugo da
What you need now is the resolve to fight

Contrary to the pro-human propaganda spread in the human schools, the Titans are actually an oppressed group fighting back against centuries of human oppression.

quote:

Shikabane fumikoete
The pigs that laugh in the shadows

Susumu ishi o warau buta yo
At the will to move forward

Kachiku no annei
Are no more than peace-fuddled livestock

Kyogi no hanei
In a world of false prosperity

Shiseru garou no jiyuu o!
That stifle the freedom of the hunter!

"Pigs" describe fat noblemen like the one who appeared in the last episode. They hide behind the inner walls and laugh at the Colossal Titan's will to "move forward" against the mighty walls and fearsome cannons of the humans that "stifle" his freedom.

quote:

Torawareta kutsujoku wa
The humiliation of captivity

Hangeki no koushi da
Serves as the signal for rebellion

The true meaning of this will be revealed in future episodes.

quote:

Jouheki no sono kanata
As he moves to slaughter his prey

Emono o hofuru
That waits beyond those walls

Jäger!
Hunter!

The Titans regularly come to slaughter their prey "that wait beyond the walls".

quote:

Hotobashiru shoudou ni
He lets his body burn in the fire

Sono mi o yakinagara
Of his raging desires

This describes the high body temperature of the Titans (as described by the instructor on Titan anatomy last episode) and in particular the superheated body of the Colossal Titan, which enables him to produce a blast of steam to fend off Eren's cowardly ambush.

quote:

Tasogare ni hi o ugatsu
And lights a flame in the twilight

Guren no yumiya
He is the Crimson Hunter!

The Colossal Titan is the only "crimson" character in the series.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 7, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

lohli posted:

Minor spoiler about something further ahead, remember [redacted]. They are tremendous assholes.

This is much more than a minor spoiler dude.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

opening song interpretation

I really, seriously hope this isn't the case. "Humans were the bad guys all along!" is such a trite thing, and maybe it's because I saw it explained in a forum post instead of revealed in the show itself, but it doesn't feel like this big reveal or interesting plot twist, but rather just disappointment and an unsatisfied sense of knowledge; not from more questions being raised, but that the answer is just really dumb.

If the Titans were really meant to be the good guys we'd see some sort of humanization for them, but all we've gotten is some really creepy designs and people being eaten.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
No, Segmentation Fault, I don't think the show is secretly setting up the Titans as the good guys. :cripes:

I kind of wish I wasn't reading the manga so I could speculate in good faith, but come on now.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

This show does not "defy most stereotypes". Tropes exist for a reason, and subverting them at all times makes for really terrible storytelling in the complete opposite direction of a by-the-numbers show.

Attack On Titan loves to subvert many expectations, that much is true. Just look at this episode and the reaction to it. Or how Hannes and Eren's mother acted in the very first episode, how many people probably expected Hannes to die heroically in a suicidal honor charge instead of have a moment of reality and chose cowardice and survival over fulfilling an obligation. Or Eren's mother losing her facade for a moment and begging not to be left behind despite KNOWING it would mean the end of her children and herself anyways. Showing base human nature is one of the best parts of the show.

That's the caliber of subversion you will see as the show continues, so if you thought episode 5 was great, boy you're in for a ride. :getin:
Yeah my feeling is it's very much a normal shounen story in terms of ultimately being about the young man learning lessons and becoming mature through heroic struggle and overcoming challenges etc., just with a more realistic match between how powerful enemies are portrayed to be and how much they actually manage to do against the protagonists. I like it a lot, because the will to fight and win is a very different quality from the will to take a risk and throw yourself into the fray, but you don't really get a feel for how important strategy and tactics are, or how much blood it costs to gain practical combat insights in most stories like this. Here, these aspects of the difficulty of real struggles are made larger-than-life (way larger, heh), which is great. It gives the fights and even the interpersonal conflicts a feeling of actually having something on the line.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
So episode 5 was pretty much :asoiaf:

This show is ridiculously awesome. Waiting a week for new episodes is going to be a trial on my sanity.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Waffleman_ posted:

THEY ARE THE THIRST AND WE ARE THE QUENCHERS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UvyITR9MGs

Holy crap, I want to see that ad where the Coke can goes ham on a bunch of Pepsi.

EDIT: I cannot believe I missed the Sasha OP edit. That's awesome!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Goddamn, I've already read the manga, I know what happens next, but I can't wait for episode 6 to find out what happens next!

lohli posted:

Minor spoilerEdit: This is apparently a bigger spoiler than I thought

That is a really big, totally unnecessary spoiler.

BrilliantFool
Jan 23, 2007

Bravo.

Waffleman_ posted:

If HelloWinter posts a super-cool art thing, she's usually the one who made it, because she is a super-cool art person.

I thought that was probably the case, but didn't want to lavish HW with praises and be wrong because that would just be silly.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No, Segmentation Fault, I don't think the show is secretly setting up the Titans as the good guys. :cripes:

I'm (fairly) sure he's just kidding.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
EDIT: Nevermind.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 7, 2013

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Watch where you're going, Mikasa. :v:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

By the way, is it just me, or did the animators revert Mikasa's face to her adolescent characteristics? I remember a lot of us had problems recognizing her during the training episode, but right now it seems to me that she looks more as when she was first introduced.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Rexides posted:

By the way, is it just me, or did the animators revert Mikasa's face to her adolescent characteristics? I remember a lot of us had problems recognizing her during the training episode, but right now it seems to me that she looks more as when she was first introduced.

That episode was outsourced, if I remember reading it here correctly.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The off-model shots have been an ongoing problem, since it seems to pop up in almost every episode so far. The closeups are usually fine but group shots can get really iffy on the details.

But at least it looks like a typical example of stuff that is frequently fixed on blu-rays so it could certainly be worse.

e: VVV Action scenes sometimes get fixed for blu-rays too! Studios sometimes have to rush the work on a variety of scenes. The action scenes have been good so far though, except for the some of the CG, like the rubble flying around when walls are smashed. It really confuses me since they do a nice job integrating the CG for zooming all around the place with the 3D Gear, but then you have debris that wouldn't look out of place in a PS2 game.

Srice fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 7, 2013

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Srice posted:

The off-model shots have been an ongoing problem, since it seems to pop up in almost every episode so far. The closeups are usually fine but group shots can get really iffy on the details.

But at least it looks like a typical example of stuff that is frequently fixed on blu-rays so it could certainly be worse.

I'd rather have poorly drawn scenes of people standing around if it means more budget for all the bad-assery that happens in this series.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Yeah, most of the time you barely notice the imperfections until someone posts that one still on some forum and everyone puts on their monocles and lament the quality of today's animation.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
I think this will be the first anime blue-ray i will purchase, if the quality doesn't drop to disastrous levels.

So i need to know some things. The quality is improved overall (less number of stills, extra content) for Blue-ray/DVD releases? Any chance of some uncensored death scenes added?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Personal_Nirvana posted:

I think this will be the first anime blue-ray i will purchase, if the quality doesn't drop to disastrous levels.

So i need to know some things. The quality is improved overall (less number of stills, extra content) for Blue-ray/DVD releases? Any chance of some uncensored death scenes added?

Yeah, big improvements in animation/decensoring and added scenes are pretty much standard for anime blu-rays/dvds. It's pretty common for whole scenes to be reanimated to fix any off model faces or to add extra details.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, big improvements in animation/decensoring and added scenes are pretty much standard for anime blu-rays/dvds. It's pretty common for whole scenes to be reanimated to fix any off model faces or to add extra details.

Do they released the fixed-up versions outside of Japan? I only ask because I have almost no experience with buying anime (not a lot of extra cash, so I only buy things I really, REALLY like) and it always seems like it gets released over here before a fixed-up version is made.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

of bees posted:

Do they released the fixed-up versions outside of Japan? I only ask because I have almost no experience with buying anime (not a lot of extra cash, so I only buy things I really, REALLY like) and it always seems like it gets released over here before a fixed-up version is made.

Unless you're buying Chinese bootlegs off eBay (don't do that) the disc-releases outside Japan should be based on the same, fixed, source as the disc-release inside Japan. However online streams tend to not get updated, so even if a show stays up on Crunchyroll after e.g. Sentai has put out Blu-rays in the US, Crunchyroll will keep showing the unfixed broadcast version.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So that happened... Eren is going SSJ right? right? :ohdear:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Rexides posted:

Yeah, most of the time you barely notice the imperfections until someone posts that one still on some forum and everyone puts on their monocles and lament the quality of today's animation.
I've seen people complaining that the fight sequences suck because if you pause and look frame-by-frame at the house models you can tell that the roofs just use a texture instead of modelling each individual shingle and how dare the studio cut corners like that.

BrilliantFool posted:

I'm (fairly) sure he's just kidding.
Y-yeah I was just kidding guys... Just a funny joke for the thread...

No he got me, when I look at it now it's a ridiculous idea but the way he described it made it sound all so plausible. I'm a dumbass. :smith:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

By the way, the scene with the Titan eating Eren made me weirdly uncomfortable for some reason, and then I remembered why.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Dear god

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Someone had a fantastic thought after watching this episode.

If only the text were a little bit clearer...

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

I think about food literally all day every day. It's a thing.

Rexides posted:

By the way, the scene with the Titan eating Eren made me weirdly uncomfortable for some reason, and then I remembered why.

I guess that the titan was attacking them because it was unhappy with the non-free software used in the 3D-gear.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I don't watch this until Tuesday, I was wondering why the new post count was so high after I stopped checking the thread out after Friday..

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Well, it's been a great show, too bad it's only 5 episodes long! :v:

^^^Close to my exact reaction.

AndroidHub posted:

And like other people have said, biggest difference is the training sequence episodes placement, in the manga the contents of episodes 3 and 4 happen after this plot arc instead of before and I'm not really sure which way I prefer it, I think it's because it sort of gives away something that would have stayed secret for all of maybe one episode, but anyways I loving love this series, I don't remember the last time an anime/manga got me this excited.

So what you're saying is that having the training sequence earlier gives away something earlier? It must mean Eren survives somehow, series ruined, dropped
Actually I'm not sure which way you mean, if the manga order gives something away, or if the anime order does. I probably don't want to know yet because Spoilers, right?

Cicero posted:

Get out your wallets Titan superfans, soon you too will be able to simulate being eaten by a giant, inhuman monstrosity: http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/i-play-an-oculus-rift-demo-that-shows-you-what-its-like-to-die-spoiler-its

I don't understand this game. What buttons do I press to remember the true meaning of Christmas and use LOVE & FRIENDSHIP to escape and overthrow Revolutionary France?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Zogundar posted:

So what you're saying is that having the training sequence earlier gives away something earlier? It must mean Eren survives somehow, series ruined, dropped
Actually I'm not sure which way you mean, if the manga order gives something away, or if the anime order does. I probably don't want to know yet because Spoilers, right?

I'm guessing what he means is (meta-speculations here since I haven't read it) if Eren dies here, and those episodes are adaptions of later flashback chapters, it doesn't make sense that Eren would be the focus of them. Eren would obviously be present in them, but since the manga audience knows he's dead and is no longer important he'd be used as a device for character development for whoever the new protagonist is. Mikasa and Armin would be the most likely candidates and they do gently caress-all that makes them more important, so yeah.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 7, 2013

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

nielsm posted:

Unless you're buying Chinese bootlegs off eBay (don't do that) the disc-releases outside Japan should be based on the same, fixed, source as the disc-release inside Japan. However online streams tend to not get updated, so even if a show stays up on Crunchyroll after e.g. Sentai has put out Blu-rays in the US, Crunchyroll will keep showing the unfixed broadcast version.

Nah, I wouldn't buy bootlegs, I'll go with legit versions. My one concern was that I heard American releases are intentionally of lower-quality than the Japanese ones, because it's cheaper for Japanese fans to import from America than it is to buy Japanese DVDs and the lower quality was meant to counteract that.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Okay, let's do this.

Soooooooo, not to piss in anyone's Cheerios, but there's something I have to ask : does this ever evolves past "hey, you like this character? Watch him get brutally murdered over 3 minutes. What's that? You also like this character? Guess who is going to get eaten by a Titan in graphic details for the rest of the episode!" ? Because I kind of remember trying to read Gantz (a few years ago, gotta be honest) and the constant "edgy" misanthropy ended up being a little tiresome, and I'm just afraid that if this goes on for too long I will just lose interest entirely in the show because there's no real point in just watching people get killed forever and humanity getting more and more miserable.

Because the whole plot and background looks drat interesting and it'd be a shame to see it go to waste. Like, what's with mankind knowing about artillery tech since antiquity? And how could a 50 meters tall Titan just disappear? And what was the experience conducted on Eren? How can Sasha eat so much? Why was that Titan moe?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

WitchFetish posted:

"hey, you like this character? Watch him get brutally murdered over 3 minutes. What's that? You also like this character? Guess who is going to get eaten by a Titan in graphic details for the rest of the episode!"

I don't know what you're talking about. Sasha's fine. :colbert:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

WitchFetish posted:

How can Sasha eat so much? Why was that Titan moe?

I hope these questions drive the rest of the series.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

WitchFetish posted:

Okay, let's do this.

Soooooooo, not to piss in anyone's Cheerios, but there's something I have to ask : does this ever evolves past "hey, you like this character? Watch him get brutally murdered over 3 minutes. What's that? You also like this character? Guess who is going to get eaten by a Titan in graphic details for the rest of the episode!" ? Because I kind of remember trying to read Gantz (a few years ago, gotta be honest) and the constant "edgy" misanthropy ended up being a little tiresome, and I'm just afraid that if this goes on for too long I will just lose interest entirely in the show because there's no real point in just watching people get killed forever and humanity getting more and more miserable.

Because the whole plot and background looks drat interesting and it'd be a shame to see it go to waste. Like, what's with mankind knowing about artillery tech since antiquity? And how could a 50 meters tall Titan just disappear? And what was the experience conducted on Eren? How can Sasha eat so much? Why was that Titan moe?

Check your PMs.

Cialis Railman
Apr 20, 2007

WitchFetish posted:

Why was that Titan moe?

Are you implying titans aren't moč? :colbert:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

WitchFetish posted:

Okay, let's do this.

Yes, it does.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Apotheosis posted:

Are you implying titans aren't moč? :colbert:

All Titans are moč, but the Colossal Titan is the most moč.

One moment he's trying to eat you, next moment he's literally blushing all over his body. So ~tsundere~

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I hear Gantz kills dudes just for laffs, right? Not really any reason?

AoT kills dudes and there's usually a reason why, or justification for it, instead of just random piano-fell-on-me death. I assume that's what people mean by Gantz's death toll anyways, just completely random death instead of, say, a bunch of guys charging forth towards an enemy which has been, up to this point, set up as the most terrifying thing mankind has ever encountered and has killed millions of people. I don't know why people expect them to just do their thing and then cut to them standing cockily in front of a pile of Titan corpses. It would completely decapitate any threat the Titans pose if a bunch of newbies did that on their first outing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

WitchFetish posted:

Okay, let's do this.

If you want actual answers I can PM you answers, but they will contain a shitload of spoilers. Do you want that?

• Locked thread