Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
The dude behind Attack on Titan wrote out the major plot points for the entire story before he began drawing, he runs a freakishly tight ship and everyone reading the manga loves him, you have nothing to worry about until Production IG throws the whole thing out the window and decides that the Colossal Titan is Hitler's most trusted general and he and Mikasa have an idol singoff to decide the fate of humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mio Bison posted:

The dude behind Attack on Titan wrote out the major plot points for the entire story before he began drawing, he runs a freakishly tight ship and everyone reading the manga loves him, you have nothing to worry about until Production IG throws the whole thing out the window and decides that the Colossal Titan is Hitler's most trusted general and he and Mikasa have an idol singoff to decide the fate of humanity.

So he's basically Evil Spock Eichiiro Oda?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Captain Invictus posted:

I hear Gantz kills dudes just for laffs, right? Not really any reason?
Gantz is more than just totally bullshit meaningless deaths. It also has gross lurid sexual stuff.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Captain Invictus posted:

So he's basically Evil Spock Eichiiro Oda?

In the sense that they are both cool dudes except one has a sweet goatee?

Did I stop reading Gantz before all the bullshit deaths? I remember a bunch of extras being killed off early on to establish that the world was dangerous, then the MC stopped being such an rear end in a top hat, got a girlfriend and then the real cast showed up. I think out of them the... Older psychic dude died Obi Want style and that was it.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 8, 2013

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Mio Bison posted:

I don't know that you didn't just describe the plot of Valvrave to be honest. Tag those spoilers man!!!

That's really cool though, and probably means we won't have a weird bullshit ending like with Claymore.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Prison Warden posted:

In the sense that they are both cool dudes except one has a sweet goatee?
And more that one makes a Shounen that surprises people in uplifting ways, and the other makes a shounen that surprises people in :stare: ways. :v:

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

SC Bracer posted:

I don't know that you didn't just describe the plot of Valvrave to be honest. Tag those spoilers man!!!

That's really cool though, and probably means we won't have a weird bullshit ending like with Claymore.

Hold your horses, because i'm told after training camp, the manga runs at full speed non stop, without any natural or organic stopping point. So...an original ending isn't off the table just yet. :tinfoil:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
EDIT: Potentially spoilery.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 8, 2013

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

of bees posted:

Nah, I wouldn't buy bootlegs, I'll go with legit versions. My one concern was that I heard American releases are intentionally of lower-quality than the Japanese ones, because it's cheaper for Japanese fans to import from America than it is to buy Japanese DVDs and the lower quality was meant to counteract that.

It depends on the company that gets them. For example for Blu-Ray discs, Funimation generally is pretty good with some spotty things here and there. Serial Experiments Lain's first episode was bit messed up, but overall their quality is good. Sentai Filmworks though, has put out discs with a bunch of artifacting and having 1080i BD discs when 1080p sources exist and their statement is just that it's what the license holder sent them. NISA tends to put out really good looking discs, as Justin Sevakis seems to know what he's doing. Aniplex is usually good but it's usually because you're either importing or paying out you're rear end so it better drat well look good (Bakemonogatari uses same BD episode count as Japanese release for example).

Funimation probably has home release locked for this, so the BD's and DVD's would turn out fine.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Captain Invictus posted:

AoT kills dudes and there's usually a reason why, or justification for it, instead of just random piano-fell-on-me death. I assume that's what people mean by Gantz's death toll anyways, just completely random death instead of, say, a bunch of guys charging forth towards an enemy which has been, up to this point, set up as the most terrifying thing mankind has ever encountered and has killed millions of people. I don't know why people expect them to just do their thing and then cut to them standing cockily in front of a pile of Titan corpses. It would completely decapitate any threat the Titans pose if a bunch of newbies did that on their first outing.
Yea it had just been established that the vanguard was demolished when Eren proceeded to berserker his way deep into enemy territory so it's not like this came out of nowhere.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

of bees posted:

If you want actual answers I can PM you answers, but they will contain a shitload of spoilers. Do you want that?

Even if I think I will soon just start reading the manga anyway to get answers, let's go with "nope".

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Just started watching this on Crunchyroll and God drat. This owns. Everything is wrong and bloody and subversive and great.

Video game pitch: Shadow of the Colossus meets Lost Planet 2. Make it happen, Japan.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

NickRoweFillea posted:

Just started watching this on Crunchyroll and God drat. This owns. Everything is wrong and bloody and subversive and great.

Video game pitch: Shadow of the Colossus meets Lost Planet 2. Make it happen, Japan.

With Spiderman web slinging.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

When I used to play Asheron's Call and while roaming an area if I happened upon a corpse, I soon learned to watch out because there was likely a solid reason for the corpse to be there. Often, I ended up a corpse too if I wasn't careful.

With this particular anime, you can safely bet the "corpse" is the enthusiasm of the current manga readers (myself included) and the amount activity in the manga thread. If it wasn't a worthwhile series, these two evidences wouldn't exist.

The only reason there isn't more activity in the manga thread is because this is a monthly manga. Right now, a lot of the talk is about the reactions you anime-only people are having.

If for no other reason than keep us manga-readers continually entertained during this season, I would appreciate you not reading ahead.

Also, you will not be disappointed. To echo others, it will probably be a richer experience for you too as the anime is so well done.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bremen posted:

With Spiderman web slinging.

The horse is the one with the 3D gear.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
It was only a matter of time until someone recreated the Shingeki OP in Minecraft.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Dan7el posted:

The only reason there isn't more activity in the manga thread is because this is a monthly manga. Right now, a lot of the talk is about the reactions you anime-only people are having.

If for no other reason than keep us manga-readers continually entertained during this season, I would appreciate you not reading ahead.
You make it sound as if it's going to be as :asoiaf: as Game of Thrones will be, so I'm happy to be on the other side for this. I just hope all the hype won't leave me disappointed.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

JosephWongKS posted:

It was only a matter of time until someone recreated the Shingeki OP in Minecraft.

Omg :iia:.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

WitchFetish posted:

Even if I think I will soon just start reading the manga anyway to get answers, let's go with "nope".

As someone who has read the manga, I think you'll have a more enjoyable experience watching the anime. It's executing on a couple of things better, and the dramatic tension is at its best when you get it week by week.

If you're just looking for answers, I can't stress highly enough that you should just let them come rather than seek out the manga.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

JosephWongKS posted:

There's gotta be a way to make 3D Gear in Minecraft.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

The thing about 3D Gear is that when you launch the hooks, there's two directions they go in. You'd either A) need a system for automatically controlling where the two hooks go based on data like nearby objects that can be latched onto, velocity, and direction, or B) a system for controlling the two different hooks manually.

I think A), even if executed well, would offer little in the way of freedom of movement and would ultimately be difficult to use. B) would be ideal but almost impossible to implement either with a keyboard and mouse setup or a gamepad setup. The Razer Hydra would actually be ideal for 3D Gear.

Edit: Am I the only one who can't stop watching the show's OP? It's just so fantastic and blood-pumping. I'm not a big fan of OPs or EDs (I actually usually just skip them after watching them one time unless they're really good), but this is the first OP I'm going out of my way to just watch instead of watching it along with the episode.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 8, 2013

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The horse is the one with the 3D gear.

:horse:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

I want this way too much for a thing that's never going to happen.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I have found the greatest thing.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

This show is generating some of the funniest fanart.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
e: wrong thread

Jackard fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 9, 2013

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

lil baby anime posted:

This show is generating some of the funniest fanart.
Now if someone would explain why a good number of the fanart revolves around Mikasa Ackerman and Misaka Mikoto. There's a 2ch joke that I missed, right?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

AradoBalanga posted:

Now if someone would explain why a good number of the fanart revolves around Mikasa Ackerman and Misaka Mikoto. There's a 2ch joke that I missed, right?

Misaka, Mikasa. Mikasa, Misaka.

That's the entire reason.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Misaka, Mikasa. Mikasa, Misaka.

That's the entire reason.

The Japanese love their puns and wordplay. Puns and slapstick make up like 75% of Japanese humor.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Mercrom posted:

You make it sound as if it's going to be as :asoiaf: as Game of Thrones will be, so I'm happy to be on the other side for this. I just hope all the hype won't leave me disappointed.

Now I know how the TV watchers feel with us filthy book readers around.

The author has set up an amazing world, so I hope we get to find out about it with the story either delving into the city itself, or somehow beyond the walls. Definitely want to learn more about hulking death machines that hunger for the living, with no discernible reason. On the other hand, characterization feels weak. I honestly don't remember anyone from the squad (good thing, to, since they all became Titan chow) besides Sasha. I guess that other girl that taught Eren a few combat moves, too.

edit - Can't write worth poo poo when tired.

User0015 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 9, 2013

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
Show is so good so far. I'm resisting the urge to read up on the manga but the show itself has been exceeding my expectations. So glad this show exist while Jojo is off air

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

PunkBoy posted:

This post convinced me to do a thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUugvgS-pYo

The physics and constraints are sloppy, but the idea works.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Kabanaw posted:

I'd love to see how this works with things like gravity factored in. I would play the poo poo out of that game.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
There's some worrying news about the animation staff. Apparently each weeks episode is being finished up basically at the deadline which became obvious in this weeks airing. Some stations receive the episodes early than others and Production I.G had to send out an unfinished version to these stations which they aplogized to the viewers in these regions for. Entire scenes, including very important ones were cut and replaced with still frames. There's a comparison video on Niconico Douga which shows just how much missing material they had to complete in a the span of a few days. This is worrying as if they fall too far behind then we might start getting clip show episodes.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 9, 2013

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
It's worth noting that Wit Studio is animating it in association with Production I.G., who is collaborating with it but isn't credited as the primary animation production company.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Kabanaw posted:

You aren't the only one trying to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2cm3ToFmSA

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do it as a SWEP for Garry's Mod, and that would bypass all the other things like player gravity.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:

WickedIcon posted:

It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do it as a SWEP for Garry's Mod, and that would bypass all the other things like player gravity.

I've seen it done several times before, and it works very well. Don't ask me for a link though; it was ages ago.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Daedalus1134 posted:

You aren't the only one trying to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2cm3ToFmSA

Like I would let a bunch of professional and respectable Japanese game devs with actual resources stop me :colbert:

That does look really cool though, and I was thinking how fun it would be to make it work with oculus rift yesterday.

WickedIcon posted:

I considered that, but I thought it would be more fun to try and do it from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zettace posted:

There's some worrying news about the animation staff. Apparently each weeks episode is being finished up basically at the deadline which became obvious in this weeks airing. Some stations receive the episodes early than others and Production I.G had to send out an unfinished version to these stations which they aplogized to the viewers in these regions for. Entire scenes, including very important ones were cut and replaced with still frames. There's a comparison video on Niconico Douga which shows just how much missing material they had to complete in a the span of a few days. This is worrying as if they fall too far behind then we might start getting clip show episodes.

Is there anyone who wouldn't be willing to wait a week longer for new episodes, to make sure they are done right?

• Locked thread