Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Bench Shimon, switch Fizdis' Penguin Soldier for Man Eater Bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Bench Shimon
Man-Eater Bug in the endgame team because every deck in the card game should have 3 M-EBs. :colbert:

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:

Senerio posted:

Bench Shimon
Man-Eater Bug in the endgame team because every deck in the card game should have 3 M-EBs. :colbert:

Seem to remember having three other cards which did the same as Man-Eater Bug, Old Vindictive Magicians. If they turn up we need to make a team of those. Team Dick-Punch.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

HangedManArcana posted:

I personally say you should bring Fritz and give Fritz blackland, and switch Kuriboh for Maneater.

Echoing this.

Kuriboh is never as good as his other low power/high utility friends.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

Seem to remember having three other cards which did the same as Man-Eater Bug, Old Vindictive Magicians. If they turn up we need to make a team of those. Team Dick-Punch.

Old Vindictives are the same thing (I use them in my Dark Paladin deck instead of Man-Eaters for Apprentice Magician combos), but they came out too late to be in this game. Magician's Force wasn't released until October 2003, and the game was released in Japan in 2002. I'm not opposed to doing themed or otherwise sillier teams later on, though. Hell, some of the best special attacks in the game require it.

Artix fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 8, 2013

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
If Shimon sits, give Fizdis Blackland Fire Dragon. Also echoing sticking Man-Eater Bug somewhere, I never used it in this game and would like to see what kind of destruction it is capable of raining down!

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Bench Shimon, replace Penguin Soldier with Man-Eater Bug.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Bring everyone, but put Soldier from a Forigen Land as Tristan's Leader

I vaguely remember that if you use the monster with the closest sphere as your leader for a Marshal, they move faster.

At least the Offical Strategy Guide said so.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

There was an official strategy guide? Wow.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

"Marchal Select"? :crossarms:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Suffice to say it didn't get the most thorough look-over when it was being translated. I fixed a few typos in the script that I transcribed, and if you look back at Mission 2, it calls the final town both "Ashton" and "Ashuton".

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Mostly I'm just surprised that I'm the first to comment on it.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Oh great, something else to distract me from working on Medabots :argh: What surprises me the most is that people still play the card game. I dropped it a couple years ago for Magic, and I don't really think I lost anything.

Let's see... Bench Shimon. I'd also like to see Man-Eater if possible.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Doctor Reynolds posted:

There was an official strategy guide? Wow.

It wasn't that bad, all things considered. It listed most of the wandering monsters and told you where to go and listed all the secret stuff. It did have a pointless thing where, if I remember right, it had like 5 pages dedicated purely to telling you the names of the monster's abilities.

I don't know where it ended up being but it wasn't in one piece when I lost it anyway so.

Jynxite
May 1, 2013
Man-Eater Bug is amazing.
Almost as amazing as Black Pendant/Maha Vailo.
Almost.
Speaking of which, is Maha Vailo in this game? I never found it with Kaiba, and it's my favorite card.

Also, bench Shimon; he bothers me.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Bench Shimon, put Maneater Bug on the team (but no benching Kuriboh)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Jynxite posted:

Speaking of which, is Maha Vailo in this game? I never found it with Kaiba, and it's my favorite card.

I'm pretty sure he is, but I don't remember where off-hand. I'll have to check when I get off work.

Balk
Oct 15, 2011

booksnake posted:

I'll jump on this bandwagon too.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Clicked on this thread expecting someone trying to LP a card game, because those are always hilarious and horrible.

What I found instead was neither hilarious nor horrible.

It was magical. :allears:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Jynxite posted:

Nope! There are already 176 monsters in this game, so there's probably something else you'll like though!

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Bench Shimon

Ah, no special abilities? Get the gently caress out of here.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Don't you have to deploy Shimon for quite a while?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

booksnake posted:

I like this as well

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Don't you have to deploy Shimon for quite a while?

Yes, but that doesn't mean I have to use him in combat, or even give him monsters for that matter. :colbert:

Anyway, the votes were overwhelmingly in favor of benching Shimon and using the Man-Eater Bug. Things were pretty evenly split between "Don't bench Kuriboh" and "Bench Kuriboh", so we'll do both. Kuriboh will be tagging out for Man-Eater Bug this map, and assuming the thread wills it, he'll be returning afterwards, with Man-Eater moving on to someone else's team. Fizdis will be taking over Shimon's Blackland Fire Dragon in the meantime.

Now, let's play a game:

Here's your map for the next chapter. As I mentioned earlier, Chapter 3 is the point where the game starts assuming you're clairvoyant when it comes to roaming monsters. Your job is simple - Mark where the roaming monster is, using the map to the left. The closest person will get a point, and whoever has the most points at the end of the LP will win a fabulous prize! Obviously if you've played the game before, you're not allowed to join in, and this includes giving hints! This is to simulate the experience of playing the game blind and trying to find them, but I'll start you guys off with an easy one.

Your hints for this map:

- There is only one roaming monster.
- It is not found in a town, like how we got Blackland Fire Dragon in Chapter 1.

Best of luck!

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Artix posted:

Now, let's play a game:

Your hints for this map:

- There is only one roaming monster.
- It is not found in a town, like how we got Blackland Fire Dragon in Chapter 1.

Best of luck!

I guess where I put the blue dot.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Artix posted:

Obviously if you've played the game before, you're not allowed to join in

:argh: the one time I could have actually won a competition on these forums

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I'm iffy about this competition... I think people could just look it up.

My guess is at the top right in the mountains

My vote of course doesn't count, but I figure I've forgotten this game enough to play along.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
This is not the children's card game I remember. And this seems like a first, Tristan being (sorta) useful.

Guessing our next friend is at the yellow spot.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I have marked his most likely position with a large red dot:

:japan:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Always play by the rules of the horizontal or vertical mirror. It's got to be a place opposite of that town below.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The top half of the map seems completely pointless, so it would make sense that it would be somewhere there. Which of course means that it isn't there, and is instead slightly southeast of the enemy capital.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

The top half of the map seems completely pointless, so it would make sense that it would be somewhere there. Which of course means that it isn't there, and is instead slightly southeast of the enemy capital.

(I think you mean west bro! East would put it right in the player's path) :ssh:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:allears:

Okay, this idea amuses me greatly. Naturally I'll be saying nothing.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Gensuki posted:

(I think you mean west bro! East would put it right in the player's path) :ssh:

Unless I suddenly can't read a map, I believe East is equivalent to right, while West is the equivalent to left, and the red city is the enemy stronghold. So Southwest would actually put the monster on the path between the middle town and the enemy capital.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

Unless I suddenly can't read a map, I believe East is equivalent to right, while West is the equivalent to left, and the red city is the enemy stronghold. So Southwest would actually put the monster on the path between the middle town and the enemy capital.

... :downs: I am remembering something else. Guess I should read the map next time!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
I'm going to guess that this particular monster is in the northwest corner of the map.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gotta be at that blue dot, gotta be!

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
What if I have played the game, but it's been years?

And I probably didn't get any wandering monsters then anyways?

I'm kinda out for this round anyways, though, since Terper's guess is basically where mine was going to be. Sure, I could pull a +$1 Price is Right bid and put another dot just above his, but I don't feel that cruel. Or that willing to copy the image over to Paint at 4 AM.

alakasam
Sep 15, 2011
As someone who played the hell out this game when I was younger, I can still only vaguely remember where the roaming monster is, and this is just the beginning of bullshit monster placements. Speaking of bullshit monster placements, do you plan on getting Moisture Creature because that fucker eluded me even with the strategy guide. gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Gensuki posted:

I'm iffy about this competition... I think people could just look it up.

My guess is at the top right in the mountains

My vote of course doesn't count, but I figure I've forgotten this game enough to play along.

Trust me when I say it will be very obvious if someone is cheating. And if you've really forgotten enough to play along, then I'll allow it for now, but I reserve the right to disqualify anyone that I think is pulling a little too much from their experience (or Gamefaqs :v:)

alakasam posted:

As someone who played the hell out this game when I was younger, I can still only vaguely remember where the roaming monster is, and this is just the beginning of bullshit monster placements. Speaking of bullshit monster placements, do you plan on getting Moisture Creature because that fucker eluded me even with the strategy guide. gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

Come on, the thread is four pages long, I've answered this like twice already. (Yes)

Artix fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 9, 2013

• Locked thread