Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They're meant to be the year the events take place in. How it relates to the chronology of Earth or whether or not the series is even on Earth is still unknown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

They're meant to be the year the events take place in. How it relates to the chronology of Earth or whether or not the series is even on Earth is still unknown.

Yeah. I made special note of those. They're just years. The anime also specifically says "year" 850, so it's just a year.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I'd forgotten how wonky the art was in early chapters. The humans could look almost as weird as the giants and in some panels I would have no idea what Isayama was trying to convey. He's gotten a lot better and has assistants to help with backgrounds and stuff now. This is one area where the animated adaptation is pretty obviously superior.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
I really don't like the heavy lines in the anime though, the scratchy style in the manga conveys motion and urgency really well. The anime looks a little too cartoony for my tastes.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Thaaaat... really makes no sense. It's just a scene meant to illustrate the fear of dying alone.

It's basically another shonen trope dismissal where instead of the parent getting all stoic when they are about to die they have a moment of weakness and fear, she covers her mouth because she doesn't want to burden Eren with the knowledge.

It's actually a really touching moment where she shows that she's strong but not inhumanly strong.

Stratafyre
Apr 3, 2009

:stare: :supaburn: :j:
I'm just now joining this discussion, watched all the anime today... and I didn't have the patience to not immediately read all the manga. So, I'm probably a terrible person, and haven't read all the back pages, but;

Has anyone wondered about the fate of the other protuberance towns on Wall Maria? Without the concentrated efforts of the human-titans, there'd be little reason to think they'd fall to your typical-types. Could they be cut off from contact, but still intact?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Considering they'd have no way to grow food in there, or at least not enough to feed the whole population, I'd say they were all evacuated or eaten by titans in the big kill-off.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Stratafyre posted:

Has anyone wondered about the fate of the other protuberance towns on Wall Maria? Without the concentrated efforts of the human-titans, there'd be little reason to think they'd fall to your typical-types. Could they be cut off from contact, but still intact?

Assuming that the last guy out shut the gate behind him, they should all be intact, aside from natural degradation due to weather and animals. All the actual farming and stuff looked to happen outside the protuberance towns though, with people just having a little village inside the protuberance. So not much of a life living in the foodless, perhaps waterless, but secure fort.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Stratafyre posted:

There was some speculation earlier whether the scouts would reestablish contact with one of these towns. But it takes a lot of land to sustain a city so I kind of doubt they'd still be around.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love the term "protuberance town".

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
You never know how much food could be stored there. It would make sense to have enough stored up to last the winter or something. If there were panic and riots that killed off most people, it's possible that a few are still living off stored rations and fish.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

You never know how much food could be stored there. It would make sense to have enough stored up to last the winter or something. If there were panic and riots that killed off most people, it's possible that a few are still living off stored rations and fish.
Yeah, like, I could imagine a mad hermit who thinks he's the last person on earth living on whatever food was preserved, or a dozen people trying to live off of what they grow in gardens or something.

I mean, the manga might have no reason to ever visit these places, I honestly don't see why it ever would, but I think it's actually a cool idea.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
While rereading the series, I saw this and chuckled.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
That might be the only panel in the entire manga of Bertholdt not sweating.

Stratafyre
Apr 3, 2009

:stare: :supaburn: :j:

Eiba posted:

...on whatever food was preserved, or a dozen people trying to live off of what they grow in gardens or something.

Dr_Amazing posted:

I'm starting to think they'll enter one of these towns, just to find that the inhabitants have resorted to cannibalism. It'd fit with the whole "WTF" thing going on, and create an existentialist crisis about whether humanity is any better than the Titans.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Looking back through the manga, it seems like about 90% of Bertholdt's facial expressions are variations on "Reiner, what the gently caress are you doing?"

Stratafyre posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up visiting one on the way to Eren's town. The top of Wall Maria should still be pretty much Titan-free, so it might be easier to get round that way than to take a shorter route on the ground.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Quantum Toast posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up visiting one on the way to Eren's town. The top of Wall Maria should still be pretty much Titan-free, so it might be easier to get round that way than to take a shorter route on the ground.

Until they train their pack horses to use 3D gear, the supply issue is probably going to keep them on the ground for the time being.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

AnonSpore posted:

I'm surprised I've never seen pictures of the colossal titan with Bert's sweat shopped on.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

3 posted:

Until they train their pack horses to use 3D gear, the supply issue is probably going to keep them on the ground for the time being.
They just solved most of the supply issue with the idea that Eren could excrete Titan junk into the hole.

For food and combat they could fairly easily carry their supplies, especially considering they wouldn't fight anything on the walls. (Though I guess there's no guarantee with intelligent wall-climbing titans out there.)

With Eren's ability, and a quick nighttime expedition being the plan, it might actually be necessary to go to the eastern city in Maria, depending on how long it takes to get to Shiganshina at night.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

ActionZero posted:

I'm surprised I've never seen pictures of the colossal titan with Bert's sweat shopped on.
Because it would have evaporated right away! :v:

Haven't we already seen the Colossal Titan put out a lot of steam when Eren got near his neck? Totally just Bertholdt getting super nervous.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Because it would have evaporated right away! :v:

Haven't we already seen the Colossal Titan put out a lot of steam when Eren got near his neck? Totally just Bertholdt getting super nervous.

They made Bertholdt the colossal titan because he was the only one that could unlock its true potential.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

3 posted:

Since Titans don't actually care about horses, they could theoretically just rig up some really long ropes and lead the supply horses from the top of the wall. Assuming they don't run into another human-titan, titan-human, or bigfoot thingy.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
They don't even need to do that, really. They rigged up a pulley system to get Ymir's body up to the top of the wall - what's stopping them from taking up 120-ish pounds of supplies at a time with it? I guess carrying all the supplies when they're up there could prove challenging, though. gently caress it, just strap the 3d gear to the supplies and use that to drag them along.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

They don't even need to do that, really. They rigged up a pulley system to get Ymir's body up to the top of the wall - what's stopping them from taking up 120-ish pounds of supplies at a time with it? I guess carrying all the supplies when they're up there could prove challenging, though. gently caress it, just strap the 3d gear to the supplies and use that to drag them along.
String up ziplines between city towers and the walls for fast transportation of scouts and gear.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Eiba posted:

They just solved most of the supply issue with the idea that Eren could excrete Titan junk into the hole.

That may not be the most disturbing sentence in this thread, but I'm pretty sure it's up there.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

3 posted:

Cross-posting from the anime thread:

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
Because of the scratchy line work, it looks like the sword is tied to the horse's leg with string. That's beautiful.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Also from the anime thread

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Please refer Eren to this handy guideline of where not to hold your arm.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Welp. I just read all of this in a single sitting because my life is a full and rich oyster.

Holy poo poo, I can't wait for more.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The raws for chapter 45 are out! So, watch out for spoilers if you're not into that kind of thing.

If you ARE into the spoiler thing:

http://i.imgur.com/QqWYrc9.jpg

Houston, the Eagle has landed.

And if you thought last month had a cliffhanger ending, well...next month might just be the single most important chapter in the manga thus far:

http://i.imgur.com/eoWeA8x.jpg

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Looks like (spoilers for next chapter)Reiner and Berthold successfully capture and get away with Eren and Ymir...but they don't tie them up or anything. The majority of the squad(including Hanji) are badly hurt and can't move for a while. Mikasa, Armin and Hannes seem to be fine.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Vengarr posted:

The raws for chapter 45 are out! So, watch out for spoilers if you're not into that kind of thing.

If you ARE into the spoiler thing:

http://i.imgur.com/QqWYrc9.jpg

Houston, the Eagle has landed.

And if you thought last month had a cliffhanger ending, well...next month might just be the single most important chapter in the manga thus far:

http://i.imgur.com/eoWeA8x.jpg

I have read it. I don't think there's a holy poo poo big enough. This is the best manga.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Not highlighting that poo poo. When does the English version come out?

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010
This thread update just had to get me excited right before sleepytime. Translations can't come soon enough :dance:.

^^^^Last month's issue was translated and released around April 12th, so hopefully only a few days.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

RatHat posted:

Looks like (spoilers for next chapter)Reiner and Berthold successfully capture and get away with Eren and Ymir...but they don't tie them up or anything. The majority of the squad(including Hanji) are badly hurt and can't move for a while. Mikasa, Armin and Hannes seem to be fine.

Lemme try to give a quick summary based on the running translation from 4chan and my own lovely Japanese. I wish more anime had helper kana like SnK, it'd help me out tremendously.

Spoilers for the new chapter! (45)
Berthold is a sneaky git. Apart from Ymir, he intentionally grabbed and ate another soldier so that he could steal his 3D maneuver gear. After flinging his titan-body off the wall, he ejected at the last moment with Ymir and grappled onto Reiner's back. Everyone was knocked senseless from the impact apart from Reiner, so the two were able to rip Eren out of his titan form and make off with them. With most of the squad wounded and no available horses, Bert and Reiner made a clean getaway. By the time Mikasa regains conciousness, five hours have passed without any pursuit. Hannes motivates the extremely distraught Mikasa with something of an inspiring speech, recalling how Eren used to go throwing himself into trouble and how Armin and Mikasa always bailed him out. They eventually decide this situation is no different. Then they dramatically eat some crackers.

Meanwhile, although the Titans managed to escape, they also left obvious footprints. Hanji correctly guesses that they were headed towards a stand of giant trees so that they could rest up until nightfall. Now the majority of the Scouting Legion, reinforced by members of the Military Police, have to race to reach the forest before the sun sets and the titans can make good their escape.

It seems like Pixis and Irwin may not trust the MP's, though. Pixis states that he believes that the wall wasn't actually breached before he is told so, yet he still asked for every MP that could be spared from the inner wall; it sounds like they specifically requested their assistance in order to keep an eye on them. Nor were Pixis and Irwin surprised to learn that the Colossal Titan and the Armored Titan were among the recruits. Only Jean expressed any shock. By the way, Jean is back in this manga. Rivaille also gets a small scene. The military police are acting cocky because the expected titan swarm hasn't showed up, and one of them asks Rivaille where all the prey is. That guy gets shut up pretty quick.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Vengarr posted:

Spoilers for the new chapter! (45)

It seems like Pixis and Irwin may not trust the MP's, though. Pixis states that he believes that the wall wasn't actually breached before he is told so, yet he still asked for every MP that could be spared from the inner wall; it sounds like they specifically requested their assistance in order to keep an eye on them. Nor were Pixis and Irwin surprised to learn that the Colossal Titan and the Armored Titan were among the recruits. Only Jean expressed any shock. By the way, Jean is back in this manga. Rivaille also gets a small scene. The military police are acting cocky because the expected titan swarm hasn't showed up, and one of them asks Rivaille where all the prey is. That guy gets shut up pretty quick.

I'm beginning to suspect that (all just speculation, but spoilered just in case it touches on new stuff too much) at the very least, titan powers are a characteristic of royalty/notable bloodlines in this world. Or maybe just everyone, with the special bloodlines having more control and/or perks like Reiner and Berthold. In this case, Erin's dad might simply have been researching ways to stop Sasquatch-Titan from turning the peasantry to derp-titans at will, maybe even by experimenting with an inoculation that imparts self-control in Titan form.

Also, the wall titans face inwards, right? I'm guessing they are sentinels. The most dangerous titan in existence being smack dab in the royal palace, either as one of the royalty or as a prisoner in the castle. Or just asleep (maybe the same way that Annie is) until it feels like eating the world. Containing a sufficiently apocalyptic titan would be one of the few things worth more than the lives of every human within the walls. Basically, Loki being imprisoned until Ragnarock.

Having the worst titan be at the center of known human territory would also be very on tone for this manga. Erin and Co's whole world as one big desperate, doomed failsafe. All this is probably known to the wall priests, royal guard, and the inner wall society as a whole.

While I'm at it, I think when Erin's dad refers to someone's memories helping Erin to understand when he reaches the basement, he was probably referring to the wall titans. Some record of their lives or way to commune with their dreams is probably in the basement. Of course, there could easily be other candidates that we haven't even seen yet.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
So much black text. Oh god.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-05-08/japanese-comic-ranking-april-28-may-4

Anime appears to be reaping huge dividends; the manga has sold 612,234 copies in the space of a week. That's roughly one fifth of what it sold last year (2,682,504 copies), a little less than one sixth of what it sold in 2011 (3,766,194 copies), and about 6% of its all time sales (9,969,327 copies). :stare:

So, uh, I don't really know what to say about that. At what point can we start calling it "a wild, runaway success"?

EDIT: In other news, /a/ has a rough translation of 45 out and up on mediafire. So, uh, what's the etiquette for this? Do I post the link or what?

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

It's not licensed so I think it's ok. I would rather not dig through /a/ to find it, 4chan is the rear end in a top hat of the internet. Ok, possibly it's lost the title to reddit, but it's still an annoying place to look for stuff.