Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Xandu posted:

That cop is totally lying though, I'm fairly sure it's not an offense to record a police officer in the UK.
A relevant video about that: http://www.actofterrordocumentary.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tincans posted:

Prince Harry and someone I don't know

You are the second one to post this, did you guys post it as something you find legitimately funny? Because it seems like a dumb "transgender people are spoiled teenagers trying to be trendy on the internet" thing to me. Maybe I am misinterpreting it, or why you posted it.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ekuNNN posted:

You are the second one to post this, did you guys post it as something you find legitimately funny? Because it seems like a dumb "transgender people are spoiled teenagers trying to be trendy on the internet" thing to me. Maybe I am misinterpreting it, or why you posted it.
I never assume anything anyone posts here is something they agree with. Considering how half the stuff I post is legit and the other poo poo I got while trolling. "Amusing or provocative", like it said in the old title.

Like I sure as poo poo don't agree with this but it provoked me.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love the "...PUNK" woah way to stick it to him. Yeah what a hypocrite, as bad as all those occupy protestors wearing clothing made by companies that were finances by BANKS. Stupid punks!

Uhg, punks!!!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I never assume anything anyone posts here is something they agree with. Considering how half the stuff I post is legit and the other poo poo I got while trolling. "Amusing or provocative", like it said in the old title.

Why? Intel is a wholly american company.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lord Lambeth posted:

Intel does a lot of R&D and other work in Israel

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Xandu posted:

That cop is totally lying though, I'm fairly sure it's not an offense to record a police officer in the UK.

It was for a while.

http://vimeo.com/60436987

Edit: Ah gently caress, I was beaten like a man with a camera filming a Met policeman.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 9, 2013

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/09/israel_boycott_stephen_hawking_intel/
Here is why people are saying stupid things about his intel chips.

Speaking of jew chips....

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 10, 2013

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I love the "...PUNK" woah way to stick it to him. Yeah what a hypocrite, as bad as all those occupy protestors wearing clothing made by companies that were finances by BANKS. Stupid punks!

Uhg, punks!!!
It always reminds me of people that quote Dirty Harry or Robocop and seem to have missed the point.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Hah, apparently someone at Intel is either Jewish or Israeli (in the minds of many pro-Israeli people, this is the same thing), and they're the ones that made the doohicky that lets him talk?
Edit: Ah, so is that it. How remarkably petty.

And it came from the imgur frontpage:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Well, yeah, it's the same thing with the image I posted, but those are both really obvious poo poo opinions. The one they posted seems to hide behind pop- and internet-culture references, so I'm interested in in what way they posted it and if I'm interpreting it right v:shobon:v

I hope people don't take everything I post as something I actually believe, cause I've posted loads of nazi-propaganda among other things :v:

by http://kingcheddarxvii.tumblr.com/

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Xandu posted:

"Freedom to photograph/film
Members of the public and the media do not need a permit to film or photograph in public places and police have no power to stop them filming or photographing incidents or police personnel.

Terrorism Act 2000
Photography and Section 43 of the Terrorism Act 2000

Officers have the power to stop and search a person who they reasonably suspect to be a terrorist. The purpose of the stop and search is to discover whether that person has in their possession anything which may constitute evidence that they are a terrorist.

Officers have the power to view digital images contained in mobile telephones or cameras carried by a person searched under S43 of the Terrorism Act 2000 to discover whether the images constitute evidence that the person is involved in terrorism. Officers also have the power to seize and retain any article found during the search which the officer reasonably suspects may constitute evidence that the person is a terrorist. This includes any mobile telephone or camera containing such evidence.

Officers do not have the power to delete digital images or destroy film at any point during a search. Deletion or destruction may only take place following seizure if there is a lawful power (such as a court order) that permits such deletion or destruction.

Section 58A of the Terrorism Act 2000
Section 58A of the Terrorism Act 2000 covers the offence of eliciting, publishing or communicating information about members of the armed forces, intelligence services or police where the information is, by its very nature, designed to provide practical assistance to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism.

Any officer making an arrest for an offence under Section 58A must be able to demonstrate a reasonable suspicion that the information was, by its very nature, designed to provide practical assistance to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism

It would ordinarily be unlawful to use section 58A to arrest people photographing police officers in the course of normal policing activities, including protests because there would not normally be grounds for suspecting that the photographs were being taken to provide assistance to a terrorist. An arrest would only be lawful if an arresting officer had a reasonable suspicion that the photographs were being taken in order to provide practical assistance to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism.

There is nothing preventing officers asking questions of an individual who appears to be taking photographs of someone who is or has been a member of Her Majesty’s Forces (HMF), Intelligence Services or a constable so long as this is being done for a lawful purpose and is not being done in a way that prevents, dissuades or inhibits the individual from doing something which is not unlawful."

Source:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ekuNNN posted:

Well, yeah, it's the same thing with the image I posted, but those are both really obvious poo poo opinions. The one they posted seems to hide behind pop- and internet-culture references, so I'm interested in in what way they posted it and if I'm interpreting it right v:shobon:v

I hope people don't take everything I post as something I actually believe, cause I've posted loads of nazi-propaganda among other things :v:
by http://kingcheddarxvii.tumblr.com/
Hah, yeah and better to ask and get it clarified than jumping the gun, is something I'd obviously be in favour of :v: (I still miss Hassan).

This is from one of those sites that seem to believe literally every conspiracy theory ever. Like Dees, only not with the excuse of schizophrenia.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gonzo McFee posted:

Edit: Ah gently caress, I was beaten like a man with a camera filming a Met policeman.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Terrorism Act 2000
Photography and Section 43 of the Terrorism Act 2000

Officers have the power to stop and search a person who they reasonably suspect to be a terrorist. The purpose of the stop and search is to discover whether that person has in their possession anything which may constitute evidence that they are a terrorist.

Bwahaha! Yes, officer, I have my "Terrorist" card right here in my wallet! drat, foiled again!

American police doing what they do best!
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4da_1368117443

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2011/04/facebook-page-new-mexico-cop-trouble/36438/

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Why would all those photographers attack those poor riot cops forcing them to retaliate? :ohdear:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3aiRa0cnrA

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
** Introducing the cast of "John Rawls's A THEORY OF JUSTICE: THE MUSICAL!" **

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hsApAm0jD4

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

The slow death of Lake Urmia is a huge issue in Iran.

quote:

The Association for Defense of Azerbaijani Political Prisoners in Iran (ADAPP) is appealing to the international community to assist with avoiding an environmental catastrophe in Iran and to support those demonstrating to call attention to the crisis surrounding the disappearance of Lake Urmia in the country’s Azerbaijani provinces. The deterioration of Lake Urmia impacts 13 million local inhabitants, as well as the nations of Azerbaijan, Turkey, Iraq, and Armenia. According to Esmail Kahrom, a professor of environmental sciences at the University of Tehran, if Lake Urmia dries up, “six to eight cities will be totally destroyed, covered by layers and layers of salt.”

Yesterday: Lake Urmia - Today: Urmia Salt Desert - Tomorrow: Urmia Pit

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 10, 2013

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Interesting to watch this in hindsight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MexWL0BglDQ

Is Iraq sharing in the progress and prosperity of our time yet?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

The People's Daily's new headquarters (China)

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 618 days!

When I saw this picture, I thought to myself "no, there is no loving way, the non-parody of this is the cover of TIME" but I just had to go and check.

gently caress you TIME, gently caress you, you filthy miserable rag. You dead husk of journalism, you worthless scratchy assemblage of low grade poo poo paper.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Pobama posted:

When I saw this picture, I thought to myself "no, there is no loving way, the non-parody of this is the cover of TIME" but I just had to go and check.

gently caress you TIME, gently caress you, you filthy miserable rag. You dead husk of journalism, you worthless scratchy assemblage of low grade poo poo paper.

Unlike the previous generation that is completely humble and didn't totally poo poo the capitalistic bed when they decided to just say "gently caress IT WE'RE GOING FOR SHORT TERM GAIN VERSUS LONG TERM SUSTAINABILITY WE'RE ALL PROBABLY GOING TO DIE IN A NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST ANYWAYS!"

quiggy posted:

:siren:Benghazi:siren:

Pretty sure there weren't as many bombs involved as there were guns, grenades, and RPGs... Also I didn't realize they had Starbucks in Libya. :v:

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 10, 2013

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Well folks, you saw it here first: Iran wants MO 9 11!

----------

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

I missed this.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013
Edit: Never mind, should've read OP.

Population of arabs as percentage of overall population within Israel as of 2000, to demonstrate why the above image is misleading. There are more than half again as many arabs / Palestinians in the dark brown areas as there are in the light brown (around 2,000,000). The image above also shows the Israeli settlements in Gaza as still extant in 2008, which of course is not the case.

Herostratus fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 10, 2013

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I think being overly simplistic and dumb was the point of the image macro. Parody.

PLA Hong Kong garrison carrying out the first live fire drills in the territory.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

quote:

Soldiers from both 3rd Tolai, 6th Kandak and 1st Battalion, 36th Infantry Regiment came to the aid and rescue of a 3-year-old boy who had fallen 30 feet down a well in Maiwand province, on April 7, 2013. (U.S. Army/Capt. Jennifer Dyrcz)
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/05/afghanistan-april-2013/100507/
They got him out. :unsmith:

(Unfortunately, The Atlantic's monthly Afghanistan feature has also collected a few shots of the dog fights that were banned under Taliban rule but are now common. Which is incredibly depressing for a number of reasons. :smith:)

Wait, is it illegal to collect rainwater? Why?

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

VagueRant posted:

The Atlantic's monthly Afghanistan feature

Wow, great source. Recognise a few that have made it into this thread.

Hey, random question knowledgable folk -, from the same folder is this picture of an Abrams:

What's with the two rotary hoes on the front - is that for mine protection or manoevering or roadbuilding or...?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

dusty posted:

Wow, great source. Recognise a few that have made it into this thread.

Hey, random question knowledgable folk -, from the same folder is this picture of an Abrams:

What's with the two rotary hoes on the front - is that for mine protection or manoevering or roadbuilding or...?

Those are to protect the treads from anti-tank mines. They used things like this in WW2.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

VagueRant posted:

I don't remember the details but they were talking about some case in Oregon in another thread recently, but there was something more illegal going on than just catching rainwater in a bucket.

e: this is about the Oregon case
http://www.watercache.com/blog/2012/09/rainwater-collection-leads-to-jail-sentence-how-news-headlines-get-it-wrong/

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 10, 2013

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Villa Epecuén, Argentina, was a resort town next to Laguna Epecuén, a tourist attraction due to its high salt content. The town flooded in 1985 and was abandoned. Years later, as the floodwaters have slowly receded, it is once again a tourist attraction as a ghost town.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

The rainwater harvesting issue probably has something to do with how rural an area is. My parents can remember not even having running water, their sole source of water collection until around the age of 10 was harvested rain-water. Single-home phone lines were only installed in the area around the time I was born and I'm only 25.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Villa Epecuén, Argentina, was a resort town next to Laguna Epecuén, a tourist attraction due to its high salt content. The town flooded in 1985 and was abandoned. Years later, as the floodwaters have slowly receded, it is once again a tourist attraction as a ghost town.

Wait, why were people attracted by the high salt content? Just as kind of an oddity?

The salinity is the main reason? Ha I guess I'm just boring or something

Feral Integral fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 10, 2013

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Salty lakes used to be considered healthy to hang out in. And if the salt content was really high, like the Dead Sea, then you can float easily!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do you guys know who the REAL racists are?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Do you guys know who the REAL racists are?

That guy

You tell that teacher, angry long hair kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

VagueRant posted:

Someone was diverting streams in Oregon to fill up ponds/lakes on his property, leaving the streams either dry or only at a small % of normal capacity downstream. Due to the media being complete and utter poo poo, headlines such as "Man jailed for collecting rainwater" have led people to believe this is a case of government regulations gone mad, when the reality is that conserving water with rain-barrels is encouraged and building fuckoff huge dams across jurisdictional waterways is understandably very illegal.

You should read this for more info.

• Locked thread