Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I love when we can save people from the trap of bland fish. There are so many good ones out there, no need to eat tilapia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grand Fromage posted:

I love when we can save people from the trap of bland fish. There are so many good ones out there, no need to eat tilapia.

Amen.

That said, does anyone have a good tilapia recipe? I avoid it, but sometimes the local grocery has such a good deal on it that I find it hard to pass up for cheap protein for the week.

I guess I could make some coconut-flour fishcakes or something with it and not be terrible. Would be interested to see if you guys have anything for it though.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Breaky posted:

Amen.

That said, does anyone have a good tilapia recipe? I avoid it, but sometimes the local grocery has such a good deal on it that I find it hard to pass up for cheap protein for the week.

I guess I could make some coconut-flour fishcakes or something with it and not be terrible. Would be interested to see if you guys have anything for it though.

I've bought it for that reason, I just put it in something with strong flavors like a Thai curry or shui zu yu. I'd still rather have swai or another catfish but it's decent enough.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

I cooked up about 500g of soya beans last night, and have now had them in a salad, and then made burgers from them for tonight's dinner. Consequently, I'm now sick of soya beans for the time being. With the leftovers, how long can they be left in an airtight container a) at room temperature, and b) in the fridge?

(Also, if I freeze them for future burger making, should I make the patties first and then freeze, or freeze the beans and then make patties once defrosted? Is freezing them even a good idea full stop?)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Semprini posted:

I cooked up about 500g of soya beans last night, and have now had them in a salad, and then made burgers from them for tonight's dinner. Consequently, I'm now sick of soya beans for the time being. With the leftovers, how long can they be left in an airtight container a) at room temperature, and b) in the fridge?

(Also, if I freeze them for future burger making, should I make the patties first and then freeze, or freeze the beans and then make patties once defrosted? Is freezing them even a good idea full stop?)

If they're cooked, I'd definitely keep them refrigerated, and definitely not longer than a week.

Freezing is probably not a good idea as the texture will be ruined, whether they're premade into patties or not.

I'd recommend using the leftovers and making a soybean hummus. That recipe (which was the first hit on Google, so sue me) will detract from some of the soybean flavor you're sick of, and you can use hummus on a million different things (raw veggies, real beef burgers, pita, etc).

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Grand Fromage posted:

I've never even heard of tilapia, seems it's an illegal to possess, feral, noxious pest fish in Australia now, ie can't even sell a dead one.
Also, no wonder they aren't a nice fish: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/09/how-to-raise-1-8-million-kilos-of-tilapia-a-year/

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 9, 2013

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Does anyone have a nice recipe for hummus? I made my first one ever yesterday. Can of chick peas, some olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and cumin. Had to sub the tahina(sp?) for a drop of sesame oil though.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Well, I made a post a few months ago about my roommate rusting the bottom of my cast iron pan, this time he did a better job of loving it up. Anyway, I know it's a pretty simple process but this is a good way to do it, right?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Last night I put some salt and pepper and some spices on a good steak and left it out. Then my wife came home and was really sick and I spent the rest of the night taking care of her, ignoring my steak. I left it out for around 2 hours room temp, then covered it in a plate with some plastic wrap and put it in the fridge.

Did I ruin a perfectly good steak? :( This marriage depends on this answer (not really I'm just hungry now). Smells like the spices still and not anything crazy

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's probably fine. Getting sick from beef is difficult unless you really try.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Well, you probably shouldn't put spices on a "good steak" but that's personal preference.

If it smells fine to you it's probably fine, and it's hard to imagine a piece of meat going bad in two hours unless you left it in the desert sun.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chemmy posted:

Well, you probably shouldn't put spices on a "good steak" but that's personal preference.

No. Entirely unseasoned steak is a tragedy.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

BlueGrot posted:

Does anyone have a nice recipe for hummus? I made my first one ever yesterday. Can of chick peas, some olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and cumin. Had to sub the tahina(sp?) for a drop of sesame oil though.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/01/ethereally-smooth-hummus/

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

baquerd posted:

No. Entirely unseasoned steak is a tragedy.

Just salt and some pepper is usually fine for me. Mmm.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tarepanda posted:

Just salt and some pepper is usually fine for me. Mmm.

That's fine. Personally, I like to add a little garlic too, sometimes some chili powder, or carmelize some onions in the same pan before cooking that steak. It sounded like they were talking about cooking steak without even salt though!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Salt isn't a spice :v:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
The dude said he put salt, pepper and some spices on the steak. To which the reply said he shouldn't put spices on his steak. No one is saying you shouldn't season your steak.

Anyways, the meat's probably fine Harry Potter on Ice. Just give it a sniff test and if it smells like raw beef you're fine.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I don't put spices on before cooking because if you're searing that steak they'll burn. The pepper will turn bitter. I enjoy salt and pepper on my steaks and don't care what you want on your steak, it's just probably best to put anything besides salt on afterwards.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm looking for a website that lets me save recipes via a bookmarklet or extension to a website, like Pocket, but one that easily lets me share my account with another person (say a spouse/partner/etc) without having to give them my password. Does something like this exist?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm looking for a website that lets me save recipes via a bookmarklet or extension to a website, like Pocket, but one that easily lets me share my account with another person (say a spouse/partner/etc) without having to give them my password. Does something like this exist?

Does it need to be free? Evernote will do this very well for one person for free, and for $5/mo or $45/year you can share notebooks with anyone (and get a bunch of other useful things).

I use evernote for all my notes/documentation and I find it great.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Another cool thing you can do with Evernote is tagging. I find it useful when I'm looking for a nonspecific kind of recipe to fit a mood/ingredient, like 'bread baking', 'pressure cooker', 'chicken', 'soup', 'appetizer', whatever.

Evernote also has a browser app called Clearly that will strip away all non-essential stuff from the site you're navigating and one-click the recipe over to Evernote. Web Clipper is another option.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've created a folder on my google drive that I share with everyone and put recipes up there. I am pretty sure you can link to individual documents, etc. You can't just save recipes off a website, but it is simple enough to select, copy and paste into a new document.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
One of my coworkers is headed to the Istanbul Spice Market next week and he's offered to pick me up any spice that I want. What are some spices that would be especially good to get from Turkey or spices that I'd have a lot of trouble finding in a fairly whitebread part of the US? The more exotic the better!

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
So, I've recently been tasked with cooking for between 10-15 adults on the friday before memorial day. Most of them will be rather intoxicated around dinnertime. I have at my disposal an electric smoker, a large wood-fire grill, and a full kitchen. I'd like to use the smoker and make either ribs or brisket as a main. Any idea on:
-suggested cooking times and temperatures for either/or in the smoker?
-sides?

I've got all day Friday to cook, so time isn't really an issue.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

For ribs, I usually do 220 degrees for 6-7 hours. I cook brisket at 235 until it hits an internal temp of 175, then pull it and wrap it in foil, then return it to the smoker to get up to 185 or 190.

Sides: smoked corn on the cob, homemade applesauce, potato salad, beans cooked in the smoker under the meat (full of yummy drippings), corn bread...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

RazorBunny posted:

For ribs, I usually do 220 degrees for 6-7 hours. I cook brisket at 235 until it hits an internal temp of 175, then pull it and wrap it in foil, then return it to the smoker to get up to 185 or 190.

Sides: smoked corn on the cob, homemade applesauce, potato salad, beans cooked in the smoker under the meat (full of yummy drippings), corn bread...

I've done a beer marinated brisket overnight, then dry / dry rub, 1-2h at 240-250 on coals then add greener wood, hickory / pecan or mesquite and smoke for 4-5h at 220~.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Skrill.exe posted:

One of my coworkers is headed to the Istanbul Spice Market next week and he's offered to pick me up any spice that I want. What are some spices that would be especially good to get from Turkey or spices that I'd have a lot of trouble finding in a fairly whitebread part of the US? The more exotic the better!

One spice I haven't been able to easily find is grains of paradise, (but that's west african so a long shot). Probably available over the internet in the US though, just couldn't find them in Au except for one place sells it at a high price. Speaking of high prices, might be able to saffron cheap there?
Ever been to this website: http://gernot-katzers-spice-pages.com/engl/spice_small.html?redirect=1

Could maybe get a good berbere or harissa chilli spice mix too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fo3 posted:

One spice I haven't been able to easily find is grains of paradise, (but that's west african so a long shot). Probably available over the internet in the US though, just couldn't find them in Au except for one place sells it at a high price. Speaking of high prices, might be able to saffron cheap there?
Ever been to this website: http://gernot-katzers-spice-pages.com/engl/spice_small.html?redirect=1

Could maybe get a good berbere or harissa chilli spice mix too.

I've found them at a specialty spice store (lucky to have this) near my house in Cambridge, MA. They aren't cheap though. Can't recall seeing them before then. Never cooked with them yet so I haven't gotten any. Know of a good signature recipe to use them in?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
You've asked me on a bad day. My PC froze up today and after a reboot, HDD not recognized.
I had to throw in the old 5400RPM 2.5" drive just to get back up and running. I didn't lose anything really important as this is just my internet browsing PC, but it's the one I of course saved any recipe stuff I found online or bookmarked, as well as most podcasts and SA stuff...

I just remember it from a good eats recipe, I think a stew with okra as okra is from Africa too. A quick google says Alton Brown used it in apple pie as well.
Signature dish would be any type of African stew I guess.
Most stuff I cooked I printed out, but I have never bought that spice so I lost anything about it along with a heap of stuff with the HDD crash today.
When you go from a seagate momentus XT hybrid drive back to a POS 5400rpm drive you really feel it. :(

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fo3 posted:

You've asked me on a bad day. My PC froze up today and after a reboot, HDD not recognized.
I had to throw in the old 5400RPM 2.5" drive just to get back up and running. I didn't lose anything really important as this is just my internet browsing PC, but it's the one I of course saved any recipe stuff I found online or bookmarked, as well as most podcasts and SA stuff...

I just remember it from a good eats recipe, I think a stew with okra as okra is from Africa too. A quick google says Alton Brown used it in apple pie as well.
Signature dish would be any type of African stew I guess.
Most stuff I cooked I printed out, but I have never bought that spice so I lost anything about it along with a heap of stuff with the HDD crash today.
When you go from a seagate momentus XT hybrid drive back to a POS 5400rpm drive you really feel it. :(

I've got a peanut /carrot west african stew I make occasionally, maybe I'll buy a few and toss in there and see how it goes.

Edit: and sorry about your HDD. If you use Chrome, synch your bookmarks / browsing history. That's saved me a few times!

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Any recommendations for something to do with Spanish peanuts? Bought them on a whim yesterday and was kinda surprised how bitter and non-peanuty they taste.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Breaky posted:

I've got a peanut /carrot west african stew I make occasionally, maybe I'll buy a few and toss in there and see how it goes.
I looked up some peanut stews and it was cups of peanut butter everywhere. I'm not adverse to that because I don't mind a peanut butter meal (except here they call them 'satay's, normally with asian inspired additives. But not sure if GOP is worth using as it will probably be muted, and is expensive after all, I normally use chillies and coconut milk in my satays. From what I heard GOP is something like a cross between black pepper and ginger, so i would be using it in something where it could shine.
I've googling fresh due to losing everything recipe related, and I have found new sites that are giving me new ideas. I now want to make Tbikha with GOP

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 10, 2013

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
What are the benefits of broiling the tomatillos/jalapenos when making salsa verde? Some recipes say to char them, some to boil, and some just toss all the ingredients in a blender and call it finished. Every time I've tried making it, it tastes a little flat and I wonder if the fresher flavor and acidity of raw ingredients would be better.

To char or not to char?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

always char.

what else are you putting in yours?

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

pogothemonkey0 posted:

What are the benefits of broiling the tomatillos/jalapenos when making salsa verde? Some recipes say to char them, some to boil, and some just toss all the ingredients in a blender and call it finished. Every time I've tried making it, it tastes a little flat and I wonder if the fresher flavor and acidity of raw ingredients would be better.

To char or not to char?

Same reason you sear off meat. It's going to give you new flavors with that char.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Usually char but not always!

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I have a sweet potato. What should I do with it?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dead Man Posting posted:

I have a sweet potato. What should I do with it?

Hash browns with lots of garlic/salt.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

GrAviTy84 posted:

always char.

what else are you putting in yours?

Basically I add a husked and halved pound of tomatillos, 3-4 jalapenos, a few cloves of garlic, and a quartered onion to a baking sheet. Toss in oil and salt then broil. I wait for some blackening, then toss them in a blender with a fist of cilantro and the juice of a few limes. Then I thin it with water and blend until I get the right consistency.

I think I am just bad at "seasoning to taste" with this recipe because I always end up wanting it spicier, more acidic, and thinner... Which I could totally fix by adding jalapeno/lime/water respectively but then I get tired of trying to get my blender to work and say gently caress it. I should probably just write down exactly how much of each ingredient I use then try to tweak from there.

I am kind of surprised by the "always char" reaction. There are fresh salsas and cooked salsas, right?

EDIT: As for sweet potatoes, I just made baked sweet potato fries that were really good tonight. Just toss them in oil, salt, pepper, and delicious smoked paprika.

pogothemonkey0 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I am kind of surprised by the "always char" reaction. There are fresh salsas and cooked salsas, right?

I meant for tomatillo salsas. Always char.

It may sound spergy as hell, but draft up a spreadsheet and work things out in terms of percentages. You can use a sampling of well reviewed online recipes and average them for a starting point, then make notes and measurements for what you do to it to make it "yours". Then you have a "recipe" that is really just a ratio that you can input whatever quantities of a particular ingredient you do have and have it spit out the proper amounts of everything else you need to make everything exactly the same every time.