Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

East gales to 35 kt. Wind waves 17 ft. Scattered showers.

Its time to DIVE

MA-Horus posted:

Oh slicer I was just kidding, we were mocking bad divers that know nothing, like ones that think we breathe oxygen at sea level.

The detector was broken on my break in case of emergency sarcanol :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Crunkjuice posted:

gently caress I am cold gently caress.
I am dumb as all hell gently caress
gently caress this. gently caress gently caress gently caress.
Post of the thread right here. God bless slates/wet notes. Cold water can make narcosis worse but excelent work getting an appropiate amount of "fucks" in there :) They just made me do simple math problems at about 140fsw on air.

MA-Horus posted:

Oh slicer I was just kidding, we were mocking bad divers that know nothing, like ones that think we breathe oxygen at sea level.
But I do breathe oxygen at sea level sometimes. It's soul gas.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Crunkjuice posted:

gently caress I am cold gently caress.
I am dumb as all hell gently caress
gently caress this. gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Do you mind if I steal this?

E: I am doing AOW sometime soon, up to 35 dives now and we went to ~140 a few days ago, although the DM and a couple others went to 170 (!)

e2: my wife and I had 7 minute decos, first time that's happened to us.

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 8, 2013

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

jackyl posted:

Do you mind if I steal this?

Go to town.

Also, I need you goons to help me devise some assholish rescue scenarios. I'm DM'ing with two instructors and a DMC for 4 students weekend after next and heres the students we have. One slept with a shop instructors ex. The other claims he wants to do his divemaster training but just went to a competing dive shop and bought an entire set of gear. He also left 11 dollars on a 10 dollar tab for two margaritas after a dive that we had to tip for at our favorite post dive restauraunt. The other did a NOAA oyster reclamation project or something as an open water diver and thinks he's king poo poo diver having 300 dives working for NOAA. None of them were past 10 feet. I don't know the 4th.

MORAL of the story here is we want to make the most elaborate scenario's possible. We already have an old dacor bcd that will be sacrificed/torn to shreds/loaded with lead on a diver. I'm going to have a creamed corn pack in my mouth that when i surface i bite/spit everywhere. Knife/fake blood is a given.

Our first few dives of the class with be in the pool to teach the techniques, and will obviously be very vanilla. When we get to open water, as long as we meet the PADI standards for the dives, everything else is up to us and we want to make them as theatrical/ridiculous as possible. We will be diving from a covered dock in a dedicated scuba park. No boat traffic.

Give me ideas goons.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Bishop posted:

Everyone's a bit different when it comes to o2 toxcicity, and even individuals vary. I think the 1.4pp02 limit is a bit soft, 1.6 seems more reasonable and I'll break that for a moment if for some reason I NEED to. The Navy has done a ton of research on it. A brief search dosen't pull anything up but I've seen videos of people in Navy chambers slowly having their pp02 raised until they toxxed. They could get significantly past 1.8

"Welcome to the Navy son, your country is proud of you. Now get in this iron tomb and let us give you a seizure for science."

Ha! how did I miss pupdive's post above mine.

Last week at Chamber Day (which I will write up soon, because it was awesome) I got some great info about this from people who deal with it all too much. I was told the limit was set at 1.4ppO2 because it's what the vast majority of divers won't tox out at. Apparently navy testing shows such variability, even between the same divers with as controlled conditions as possible day to day that anything higher is just too risky. Also I was told there's a huge difference between lying in a chamber at 2.8ppO2 (or higher for embolisms) and exerting yourself in cold water.

Edit: Crunkjuice; as for rescue scenarios, I was lucky enough to get to dive (again) with a retired cop DI on chamber day and he was talking about the new things doing for the shop he works at's rescue course. One thing is having cpr dummies ready on the side of the pool, so as soon as they pull someone out of the water they get to do real cpr compressions for extended periods, so they know what it's really like (it's apparently really like hard loving work).

Edit2: And now I'm all excited about diving, so here's my Chamber Day and Eve writeup. First of all, anyone in SoCal, if you do one diving thing all year do Chamber Day + Eve, it's just that worth it to do once.

I went out on May 1 for Chamber Day on the Sand Dollar out of Ports of Call, Port of Los Angeles, San Pedro. This is much easier and quicker to get to than Ventura from most anywhere in LA. I got a sweet view of the Battleship Iowa on the drive in, and had a tasty breakfast on the boat. The ride out to Catalina was reletively slow, but eventually we got to the dive site just off of Two Harbours, Eagle Reef. I was lucky enough to dive with an instructor from Hollywoodivers, where I had gotten certified in January, and also a friend of his who's a DM at another LDS nearby. On this first dive there was a bit of a current, so we just stuck to a reef near the boat and checked out things on and near it, I saw my first shark, I think a Horned Shark hiding in a crevass. All in all a nice dive.

My second dive the instructor leading the dive missed one bit of the briefing, that the stern was at 85ft while the bow was at 45ft, and so as we went down I ended up dropping like a rock from 30 to 60ft, which I guess I would call my first diving mishap. Visibility was poor and we couldn't really see anything while descending. I managed to control my descent, but not before hitting 69ft (my deepest ever), then ascending to about 45ft with the two people I was diving with and swimming against current to the reef to check things out. By this time I had burned much of my air (the boat was only filling to 2600) and so concentrated on relaxing and managed to have a decent 28 minute dive before having to call it. Both dives the water temp bottomed out at 59F, which was much, much nicer than the 52-55F I experienced at Anacapa five days earlier. After the dive talking to my buddy it became clear how just a little bit of missed information and poor conditions can lead to problems. Luckily things ended up ok.

After our dives were done the real fun began. We docked at the Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber at Two Harbors to get a tour. First we got a tour of the Los Angeles Port Police new boat, a very nice 65ft Aluminum boat, then the LA Sheriff's boat, and the Catalina Bay Watch boat, lots of great info from the Police, Sheriffs, and Lifeguards. Both the Sheriffs and the Port Policy had some very interesting RoV's. The Sheriffs also recently started diving rebreathers and couldn't say enough good things about Titan rebreathers. The Port Policy had two very cool sonar systems for mapping the port. Sadly the sequester prevented the Coast Guard from having a helicopter for display present. After that we got to go into the Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber and be taken to 1ft pressure (I presume this is because there's no way you're going to take a bunch of people who just were diving and intentionally put them through another real compression decompression cycle). This tour was by the same volunteers who run the chamber, so we got plenty of interesting information about how the chamber treats both dcs and embolisms. DCS is treated by being taken to 60fsw and being put on 100% oxygen through a mask, I believe this is 2.8ppO2. I can't recall how long they keep the patient at this pressure, but they come up from this at 1ft per minute. Embolisms are treated at 160fsw 50% oxygen for some very high pp02, I can't recall. From that pressure when the treatment is done they back off to 60fsw equivalent "as fast as they can". Oxygen masks are used on patients to prevent the paramedics, tenders, and doctors from risking an oxygen toxicity event, and due to flammability concerns. A second paramedic is required to be present outside the chamber to make medical decisions and when a doctor is in the chamber working on a patient they're required to exit the chamber (there's an airlock, so the patient can remain at pressure) to make decisions. One of the volunteers commented that they've never had an oxygen toxicity event in a non-patient at this chamber.

After we piled back on the boat to return to the mainland. Later in the evening I headed over the bridge (the one from Gone in 60 Seconds) to the Aquarium of the Pacific for the Chamber Eve. This was my first time going to this Aquarium and it was really the best way to see it (small after hours event). Honestly my favorite thing of was the life sized Blue Whale model hanging in the main atrium. The thing I wanted to win the most in the raffle was the change to dive the the aquarium (without the otherwise signifcant volunteer requirements to do so), well, besides the full Halcyon BP/W setup. Sadly I didn't win anything, but still had a great time.

Aquila fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 8, 2013

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Crunkjuice posted:

Go to town.

Also, I need you goons to help me devise some assholish rescue scenarios.

We’ll let them pickup divers far away from the shore.
This is me in the water needed to be rescued :)

Have people on shore panicking/angry so the group needs to divide there people one needs to help the panicking/angry people.
Have them do poo poo at lunch time or maybe even better no lunch time.
When they think the class is over have one diver left to be rescued so the need to gear up or get wet again maybe multiple times.

If they don’t have a wetsuit on let them go into the water to get someone out again. Tell them cold is an emotion :)

Fill beer cans with water drink it check their response. Ask them if they want one check their response.

Tell the people involved you are doing this poo poo on forehand so you don’t get in trouble.

Get a blow up doll for cpr :)

But be careful if they get to exhausted it could become dangerous for real.
You maybe need an extra hand in the water to pull this poo poo off for everyone’s safety.
The more instructors are in the field the less they start whining.

Orions Lord fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 8, 2013

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

jackyl posted:

E: I am doing AOW sometime soon, up to 35 dives now and we went to ~140 a few days ago, although the DM and a couple others went to 170 (!)

e2: my wife and I had 7 minute decos, first time that's happened to us.

Something about this just doesn't sit right with me. Be sure to dive within your limits.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

Aquila posted:

The thing I wanted to win the most in the raffle was the change to dive the the aquarium (without the otherwise signifcant volunteer requirements to do so), well, besides the full Halcyon BP/W setup. Sadly I didn't win anything, but still had a great time.

Anything is possible with the right amount of cash.
http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/education/info/dive_immersion/

http://www.scubagearreports.com/index.php/diving-life-general/369-the-divng-lifelong-beach-aquarium.html

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Crunkjuice posted:

Go to town.

Also, I need you goons to help me devise some assholish rescue scenarios. I'm DM'ing with two instructors and a DMC for 4 students weekend after next and heres the students we have. One slept with a shop instructors ex. The other claims he wants to do his divemaster training but just went to a competing dive shop and bought an entire set of gear. He also left 11 dollars on a 10 dollar tab for two margaritas after a dive that we had to tip for at our favorite post dive restauraunt. The other did a NOAA oyster reclamation project or something as an open water diver and thinks he's king poo poo diver having 300 dives working for NOAA. None of them were past 10 feet. I don't know the 4th.

MORAL of the story here is we want to make the most elaborate scenario's possible. We already have an old dacor bcd that will be sacrificed/torn to shreds/loaded with lead on a diver. I'm going to have a creamed corn pack in my mouth that when i surface i bite/spit everywhere. Knife/fake blood is a given.

Our first few dives of the class with be in the pool to teach the techniques, and will obviously be very vanilla. When we get to open water, as long as we meet the PADI standards for the dives, everything else is up to us and we want to make them as theatrical/ridiculous as possible. We will be diving from a covered dock in a dedicated scuba park. No boat traffic.

Give me ideas goons.

Not trying to be a dick, but you guys are being dicks. Just because it's Rescue does not change how one usefully teaches teaches people how to gain confidence about diving. Nothing you are proposing will help them become better, more aware divers.

If you guys want to get into a fistfight with them about the ex-girlfriend, and a shouting match about shorting the tip, and just tell off the NOAA guy then do it the adult way, by actually doing those things. Taking advantage of some role-based power to hassle people you want to hassle is the kind of thing a lawyer looking into a possible lawsuit from this course would love to hear about, because everyone single one of you would for good reason be hung out to dry liability-wise. And frankly you are being about as unprofessional as one can be about diver safety and educational responsibility.

There is a phrase we use constantly when talking about liability for dive professionals. It is about all dive professionals in lawsuits. And it is exactly on point here: "a reasonable and prudent instructor (RPI)." In this case the word instructor is a stand in for any dive professional.

Navy Divers go through a range of training that can include restraining them until they black out underwater, and doing it enough times that they simply lose the fear of stuff happening to them underwater. That's great for Navy Divers who get to actual put their lives on the line diving, and who need to, for operational reasons, be able to handle levels of stress that simply are not part of recreational diving. Anything like it is simply stupid for non-military divers.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Mr.AARP posted:

Something about this just doesn't sit right with me. Be sure to dive within your limits.

Yeah, that's why we stayed up higher on the wall. We weren't exactly enamored with going that deep, especially after we saw that we were getting in deco land.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

jackyl posted:

Yeah, that's why we stayed up higher on the wall. We weren't exactly enamored with going that deep, especially after we saw that we were getting in deco land.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with deco.. if you know what you are doing... What jackasses they were though the implications of going to 170 on a single tank is stupid...

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

pupdive posted:

Not trying to be a dick, but you guys are being dicks. Just because it's Rescue does not change how one usefully teaches teaches people how to gain confidence about diving. Nothing you are proposing will help them become better, more aware divers.

If you guys want to get into a fistfight with them about the ex-girlfriend, and a shouting match about shorting the tip, and just tell off the NOAA guy then do it the adult way, by actually doing those things. Taking advantage of some role-based power to hassle people you want to hassle is the kind of thing a lawyer looking into a possible lawsuit from this course would love to hear about, because everyone single one of you would for good reason be hung out to dry liability-wise. And frankly you are being about as unprofessional as one can be about diver safety and educational responsibility.

There is a phrase we use constantly when talking about liability for dive professionals. It is about all dive professionals in lawsuits. And it is exactly on point here: "a reasonable and prudent instructor (RPI)." In this case the word instructor is a stand in for any dive professional.

Navy Divers go through a range of training that can include restraining them until they black out underwater, and doing it enough times that they simply lose the fear of stuff happening to them underwater. That's great for Navy Divers who get to actual put their lives on the line diving, and who need to, for operational reasons, be able to handle levels of stress that simply are not part of recreational diving. Anything like it is simply stupid for non-military divers.

So no ideas then. Thanks. Also, reasons aside, nothing i've mentioned has or will be unsafe. Simulating vomiting? You're right, thats unprofessional. Have someone wearing a bcd that can't inflate to simulate a gear failure underwater? poo poo, what was i thinking. Simulating a laceration underwater well by golly thats just crossing a line. Orions lord proposed some good ideas, all while being safe. I'm getting cpr dummies from my shop for post rescue. Thats a great idea. You can easily make rescue classes inventive without sacrificing teaching. Just because i want to make it ridiculous doesn't mean i'm going to not teach or be unprofessional about it.

Performance requirements for the unresponsive diver underwater.( obviously condensed)
1. Interview victims buddy.
2. Organize a search
3. Search for diver
4. Bring unresponsive diver to surface

Heres my planned scenario thus far.

They interview a buddy who surfaces from a dive panicked. Maybe here he'll have a "laceration with fake blood" and have to be rescued himself, then telling the rescue students what happened. They were on a wreck penetration dive, it got super cloudy and he got separated from his wife/husband/buddy. During his panicked searching for her, he cut himself badly and needed medical attention so he bailed out, and here we are. (I'm not sold on the laceration immediately part because i want the buddy to assist with the search, and have a problem underwater).

Now the students have to form a plan to search for the missing diver. Note, the diver will not be in an overhead environment and i'll tell the students so they don't actually go into the plane. One thing to consider is why the unresponsive diver is unresponsive. Maybe during his panic in the blackout he tore his bcd bladder (sacrificed dacor bcd), and couldn't ascend. Maybe he knocked his head and also has a laceration. Doesn't really matter, but provides a reason to have messed up gear. Hell, wreck divers use a penetration line right? Maybe in his struggle he got entangled as well! During the search, the buddy (who should not be let on the dive but will be convincing and go anyways) will just be a terrible diver. Touching poo poo, kicking up the bottom, darting away/getting lost. Making life hard for the search team basically.

Now they find the diver, bring him to the surface. If they are entangled, deal with that first. Maybe now the buddy will go active panic in "OH MY GOD MY WIFE HOW IS SHE LET ME HELP HER GET OFF HER" and interfere with the rescue. Maybe now he gets so worked up he gets sick and vomits (creamed corn pack) and has to be rescued.

All performance requirements met, all done safely.

If its 4 students addressing the sole problem of a single unconscious diver underwater, its boring and doesn't help them that much. By throwing lots of other plausible real life elements with some theatricality, it involves all the students, forces them to think on their feet and adapt their training.

Where in any of that scenario am I taking advantage of a student, sacrificing my teaching, or being unprofessional?

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

pupdive posted:

Not trying to be a dick, but you guys are being dicks.
There are some other good posts I wanna address but first.... man the best part of my rescue class were people being dicks to me. I mean, they weren't surfacing with gatling guns and an inflatable loch ness monster. The scenarios were crazy but all plausible and the task loading and quick decision making it places in your lap is a great teaching/learning experience.

Also I have great respect for Navy and NOAA as entities, but I've thumbed dives before because people who were trained by those organizations were going to get me killed in a silt out. In fact Navy people way overestimate their skills IMO. They aren't the final word when it comes to training just because the military trained them and you have to black out in some pool with 5 instructors around you.

truth edit: "I'm a navy diver" is actually a red flag for me until they demonstrate otherwise in the water.

calmer edit: In general I see what you are getting at but SA posts tend to be a bit sarcastic so no need to jump on someone.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 9, 2013

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
On to the rescue scenario suggestions beyond the real simple stuff:

1. Here's one that I'm completely stealing from my class: Get the students in the water and a fair amount of the way from shore, then have someone fake a medical emergency on shore. Try and time it so another in-water emergency happens at the very moment that the students have made it up to the on shore victim.

Observe how they delegate from that point forward. This may be where they forget to have someone call 911 or forget the o2 kit. It's better if there are two distressed divers in the water so the class has to split up further. I liked the fact that one diver was unconscious and the other was panicked/screaming. Had I let go of him, he would have swam over and hosed up the job of the person who is attending to the unconscious person.

2. After they deal with #1, the conscious diver decides to let them know there was a third member of their team and they had not seen them since bolting from the bottom.

3. When the class is over, but not -really over-, have someone vomit fake blood all over the place and make them go back into rescue mode.

4. A real curveball would be if you had a friend/diver that was not getting in the water for the day to emerge from the crowd and "help" by doing something completely wrong first aid wise to see if someone intervenes to correct them.

Given enough time I could probably think of a bunch more. One thing I don't like about most rescue classes is that if they are conducted in a lake or quarry it is hard to simulate certain ocean emergencies.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
We're going to be in St. Lucia in a few weeks and are planning on doing our AOW there. Anyone have recommendations on St. Lucia dive shops or AOW elective courses to take? Some of the adventure courses seem crappy, like boat diver - we've done back rolls, dealt with choppy seas, all that crap so why do it? Underwater naturalist seems similar, but maybe it owns? We were thinking definitely wreck diver, probably enriched air, maybe wreck, maybe cave, maybe underwater photography - any opinions on good courses would be appreciated! And I'd do rebreather, but not sure my wife would, sorry SlicerDicer. :)

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

jackyl posted:

We're going to be in St. Lucia in a few weeks and are planning on doing our AOW there. Anyone have recommendations on St. Lucia dive shops or AOW elective courses to take? Some of the adventure courses seem crappy, like boat diver - we've done back rolls, dealt with choppy seas, all that crap so why do it? Underwater naturalist seems similar, but maybe it owns? We were thinking definitely wreck diver, probably enriched air, maybe wreck, maybe cave, maybe underwater photography - any opinions on good courses would be appreciated! And I'd do rebreather, but not sure my wife would, sorry SlicerDicer. :)

I didn't think you could do enriched air for AOW since it doesn't actually require you to do any dives. You have to do Deep and Nav dives required and you get to pick your other 3. Good ones to get some skills are search/recovery, peak performance buoyancy (if you need it), photography, night. Cavern would be pretty cool experience wise.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Crunkjuice posted:

I didn't think you could do enriched air for AOW since it doesn't actually require you to do any dives. You have to do Deep and Nav dives required and you get to pick your other 3. Good ones to get some skills are search/recovery, peak performance buoyancy (if you need it), photography, night. Cavern would be pretty cool experience wise.

Yeah, we're doing deep and nav of course. PADI's site said enriched was just an extra charge, so we were fine with that. PPB is one I vacillate on. Is that really worth it if you have generally good buoyancy control?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

jackyl posted:

Yeah, we're doing deep and nav of course. PADI's site said enriched was just an extra charge, so we were fine with that. PPB is one I vacillate on. Is that really worth it if you have generally good buoyancy control?

If you're not bouncing around and have a good handle on your buoyancy control, probably not. I have seen some advanced divers who take it fresh after open water who we've made do ppb because its literally their first dive post ow. If you've got some experience and are comfortable in the water, you probably don't need it. Still, practicing your buoyancy control never hurts.

Does doing the enriched air adventure dive give you the enriched air certification given the extra charge?

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

jackyl posted:

Don't do wreck for AOW. It's the first dive of the Wreck Diver course, which is only looking at a wreck from the outside.

Let your instructor choose your AOW dives. Most of us have a set we do that builds one upon another. PPB is a great base from which to build an AOW course.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
My buddy is trying to talk me into signing up for the GUE fundies course, but i think i'll leave that alone until i've cleared my AOW and Rescue courses. That's gonna mean new gear again :stare:

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks Crunkjuice and pupdive! We've got 35 dives logged plus a few we forgot to log/stamp, so it isn't our first one post OW. I am going to look more into the enriched dive and see if it gets nitrox. Here is what PADI has to say about the most popular AOW courses:

quote:

These include Night Diver, Peak Performance Buoyancy, Wreck Diver, Boat Diver and Underwater Naturalist

I'm up for letting the instructor pick, but not if it will include boat diver and now i think wreck diver is off the list based on the fact that its just outside a wreck... I sent an email off to the shop, so we'll see what they say.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8z_xj4ujdA

This is our attempt at a scuba Harlem shake at one of our dive trainings at the pool. It's pretty lame but I figured I'd share anyway. :)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So I'm thinking of getting one of these 3mm wetsuits for Maui diving and spear fishing:

http://www.aqualandwetsuits.com/Spearfishing.html

Getting a custom fit appeals to me, as my current wetsuit doesn't fit so well. Some of these options are confusing, though; non-slip chest pad vs protective? Lycra or shark-cell for the interior? Wrist and ankle water seals as an option? Can anyone explain these options to me and help me decide?

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
What noticed in Egypt things are changing.

After all these years diving notice that there are fewer fish to see and parts of the reef sometimes make a gray, lifeless impression.
Of course, there are wonderful places with all the colors of the rainbow but it will be less each year. The Moray Eels appear smaller like the Titan Triggervis and Napoleon Fish are shrunk to the size of a big perch well maybe a bit bigger.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Orions Lord posted:

What noticed in Egypt things are changing.

After all these years diving notice that there are fewer fish to see and parts of the reef sometimes make a gray, lifeless impression.
Of course, there are wonderful places with all the colors of the rainbow but it will be less each year. The Moray Eels appear smaller like the Titan Triggervis and Napoleon Fish are shrunk to the size of a big perch well maybe a bit bigger.

I've heard the amount of fishing on the reefs exploded with the revolution and tons of previously pristine reefs are now covered in fishing line. Good reason to head further south.

Inamorata Issabelle
Jul 8, 2007
I'm about to do my AOW, and one of the specialty dives is a night dive. I have to buy some dive lights, and I have a couple of questions. Is a halogen or LED better for my primary? I am looking at these two lights, and I don't know which is better, since the brightness is in two different scales (lumen/watt).
Halogen: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=IkelitePCMHalogenunderwaterLight
LED: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=IkelitePCMLEDDiveLight

Also, what is a good back-up light to get? Something like this? http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Q40

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Inamorata Issabelle posted:

I'm about to do my AOW, and one of the specialty dives is a night dive. I have to buy some dive lights, and I have a couple of questions. Is a halogen or LED better for my primary? I am looking at these two lights, and I don't know which is better, since the brightness is in two different scales (lumen/watt).
Halogen: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=IkelitePCMHalogenunderwaterLight
LED: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=IkelitePCMLEDDiveLight

Also, what is a good back-up light to get? Something like this? http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Q40

Get an LED but that ikelite looks seriously bulky. I have an LED lenser frogman that would be roughly the same cost and small with a great LED.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

This is better than either of those you linked http://www.dorcy.com/p-163-41-0467-220-lumen-dive-ii.aspx . It's still in the backup light category, but it will work fine for your AOW class. Its my current backup and a lot of tec divers i know carry them as their backups. Walmart has the older 180 lumen version for 42 bucks online, but the 220 i linked is their current model.

Crunkjuice fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 13, 2013

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

I'm about to do my AOW, and one of the specialty dives is a night dive. I have to buy some dive lights, and I have a couple of questions. Is a halogen or LED better for my primary?

Don't event think about getting anything but an LED for a light. Filament bulbs break with vibration when emitting, and diving is filled with vibration, including drops.

UK used to make a halogen light whose great feature was having two bulbs in it so you could still use the light once (not if) the main bulb broke. Once they came out with even mostly white LEDs they simply has been no reason other than IMAX for anhthing but LED lights.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

Also, if you're serious about continuing night diving I would highly recommend one of the DRIS lights. I have their 1k shorty with the goodman glove and couldn't be happier.
http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/lightsrecreationallights-drisdivegear-1kshortydivelight-p-3586.html

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Mr.AARP posted:

Also, if you're serious about continuing night diving I would highly recommend one of the DRIS lights. I have their 1k shorty with the goodman glove and couldn't be happier.
http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/lightsrecreationallights-drisdivegear-1kshortydivelight-p-3586.html

That DRIS (DiveRightInScuba) does look good, and it gets lots of good internet press, as does DiveRightInScuba itself. The CREE LED is a anme worth looking for. CREE LEDs are a step beyong in terms of brightness. They cost but they are worth it.

DiveRightInScuba helped develop the TDI Hog reg repair class, which is kind of one of the those perfect storm of internet aware companies. If you are looking at buying anything from DiveRightInScuba, then keeping on eye on their frequent "Hot Deals" posted at ScubaBoard makes sense.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hot-deals/

Word of warning about ScubaBoard: ScubaBoard is a hot bed of people talking about diving on the internet, which takes the fact that most people talk about diving way more than they dive, and then people on the internet exaggerate as a matter of course, so they are a bunch of people on Scuba Board who have the fetish opinions about gear and traning built solely around the fact that other people at ScubaBoard approve this gear and training, so everyone at Scuba Board 'dives' BP/W, and has taken GUE Fundies, for instance, even though in places where they are people actively diving no one is in BP/W because they are uncomfortable as gently caress, and no one outside of the ScubaBoard has really even heard of GUE, much less taken one of their classes.

So read Scuba Board with the awareness that most people on it claim experience and insight, but most people on the board know only what they have read at ScubaBoard, because the internet is the internet. Many of the people who are opinion shapers there have less lifetime diving experience than active instructor have had in this calendar year. It's hard to actually dive in many places, but it is easy to talk about diving on the internet.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Well I am sure everybody knows they can ask my ideas on things and know I will know at least a reasonable answer. I may talk about diving a lot but thats due to me actually doing it a lot :)

And gently caress GUE/DIR they hate rebreather divers, if you like a BP/W then use it they are GREAT!! but BCD are great too! Its all personal preference :) I have dove a large amount of the crap LOL

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Mr.AARP posted:

This is a good option. With the handle!

The batteries of led lights last way longer. Read the instructions.
With the 'old' lights you did a dive and put it on a recharger.

With Led lights this could be different sometimes the last for weeks before the should go on a charger.

Also have a backup light.

These are my lights.

The small one black is a Riff TL 900 led. It is a nice torch. I have it 2 years now and the switch to turn it on is not working that well anymore.
The yellow light is an Q40 mini backup bought this light maybe 7 years ago fixed it on one of my hoses and it never failed. They have them in led also these days.
Replace the straps after some years.
The grey one is a Hartenberger these are great also I have this one for about 7 years also. At the moment I have some problems also with the switch.
The top one is an Tektite Expedition backup you need to glue the rubber top on.

When you are going for a night dive alone put some breaklights somewhere on the shore.
See pic

These are great when you surface into the dark you will see them and you will know where to exit.
Flash lights can be stolen.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
http://www.hepca.org/media/news/2013/5/banned-from-the-red-sea/308

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
I'll second the DRIS light. I grabbed one last christmas and had this to say about it a few pages back:

Bangkero posted:

Just wanted to follow up on this. The DRIS light is awesome and I'm definitely grabbing one later this year. When my brother turned the light on in the crowded living room - everyone looked towards him like he just activated a lightsaber. :wookie:

Tried it in the pool - went well. The one thing I was worried after reading the complaints about the twist on/off being prone to user error. I've concluded that those complaints are voiced by retards.

Hope you're as impressed as I was!

Well worth the 90 or so bucks.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

I had a rescue student last night put defog on the outside of his mask last night. I'd expect that from an open water student, but rescue?

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Crunkjuice posted:

I had a rescue student last night put defog on the outside of his mask last night. I'd expect that from an open water student, but rescue?

I had a thing about that, but a student, who knew defog went on the inside, say that defog on the outside helps when walking to the entry with a mask on.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Hey awesome SCUBA people :)

Just found this thread, so I here's a barrage of questions, if you don't mind :love:
I got my PADI OW a few years ago - in Korea. The water was loving cold as hell, and there was literally nothing to see except dead jellyfish :smith: I also had to walk through the waves from the beach to the deeper waters, IIRC, and that was a slog (I am much more fit now, though)
I guess I got turned off by the experience (and the eh-quality instructor), since I didn't pursue anything afterwards.

Recently had a friend show me his diving videos (in exchange for my skydiving ones :v:), and that got me interested again. Going through this thread makes it certainly seem awesome again. I remember still loving the fact that I could breathe underwater and see stuff.

Unfortunately, I am still a student (without much $):( I suppose living in Korea puts me in a good position to travel to nearby countries, unless there is somewhere good in Korea itself? The place I dived at was near the loving 38th parallel itself (the dive resort was called the 38th-something), and that was not enjoyable. Is there something nicer near the southern tip of the peninsula? Unless it's really really cheap to go nearby or sth...

I'm also heading to Jamaica (Montego Bay) in a few weeks: any diving-recommended places there? I'm traveling with friends that haven't ever tried diving, so if there's some place where we can all try it out, that'd be awesome.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
If you have time, take a flight / ferry to Japan, then another flight / ferry to Okinawa. Diving is an expensive sport, especially if you go overseas. As for close, warm waters with nice wildlife, Okinawa is the place that springs to mind (at least for your situation).

Keep in mind I've never been there, and hope to go some day. A DM in training that I met said she saw some pretty cool things there, and it was definitely her top 5 favorite places to dive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
I've heard of diving at Jeju island, off the southern coast. Or grab a cheap flight out to southeast asia.